Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh cool, Saint Vitus, The Skull, Acid Kings and Witch Mountain are coming to Missoula MT (three-hour drive) on 14 October! :unsmith:

Except I have another event that whole weekend, and seeing as how the festival claims to run from 1 PM to 2 AM, I'm not gonna be able to do both. :smith:

FML

Fuckload more bands, and it's a two-day event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/229149710789119/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ygolonac posted:

Mammoth Salmon, Stone Elk, American Falcon, Piranha Dog. Could this be the start of a new doom/stoner band name trend?

Also lol Chron Goblin

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
much better than ironic weed wizard poo poo

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Freedom Hawk is a thing

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Welp. :suicide: I was thinking of doing a balls-out run over and back and just subsisting on three hours sleep on Sunday, but Friday *and* Saturday and I'd be lucky to get back to Spokane by noon Sunday arrrgggghhh...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Varg posted:

Freedom Hawk is a thing

Every time I see or hear that name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGWW8KOQio
In the old days that commercial was on TV a whole lot.

Freedom Hawk rules. A straight forward up tempo Sabbath clone that is really fun to listen to.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Mos Generator rules, played with them in Lincoln NB a few weeks ago. They were trying to figure out what they were going to play for their last song, and someone yelled, "Just make it up!" and then they just freestyle jammed, it was awesome. We played the same night as them in Vegas a couple weeks later, we had an early show, they had a late show, tried to make it to their show but missed it, lame.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Dyna Soar posted:

Calling dibs on Wizard Weedshit

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dyna Soar posted:

wrong :twisted:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I wore this exact thing to the Sleep show in DC and I was proud of myself for doing so. This was my first time ever wearing earplugs in many, many years of shows. Not only could I hear immediately after the show and the day after, but the audio itself during the show was improved. At a concert there's this overarching layer of sonic "noise" which is dissipated by earplugs. I could hear the music more clearly. It was amazing. At one point I pulled the earplugs out and immediately realized how great it was to wear them.

For so many years I felt like I would have looked uncool for wearing earplugs. Do yourself a favor and get a good pair like those Etymotic and use them. It's amazing what you're not hearing because things are just too damned loud at a show. Nobody is paying attention to you at a show. Don't bother yourself with what other people aren't even thinking about.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 28, 2016

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

How about the best of both worlds?

Bong Hawk
Reefer Dog
Wizard Salmon

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Any of y'all in to Spectral Voice from Colorado?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barMH9Xha0M

This slays - reminds me of Winter mixed with Bolt Thrower & nasty analog production.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Parachute posted:

reminds me of Winter mixed with Bolt Thrower & nasty analog production.

I wish there were a lot more bands that fit this description.

And yeah they're great, saw them live once and loved it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chicagoons! My band Flesh of the Stars just got added to this bill with Livid, our friends out of Minneapolis. We'll be playing with an altered lineup, but it's gonna be super heavy nonetheless.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1063818433653362/?ti=cl

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

me your dad posted:

At a concert there's this overarching layer of sonic "noise" which is dissipated by earplugs.

Yeah, there are a lot of frequencies getting pumped through PA speakers that are pretty much outside the range of our hearing. Unfortunately, those same frequencies cause the most hearing damage, and also the most difficulty in a mix. Not only that, but you can get a lot of weird vibrations and rumbles depending on how well the venue is soundproofed. Good plugs cut the bad stuff, and leave the tasty midrange intact.

Of course, a lot of engineers simply have no idea what they're doing. I remember one High On Fire gig where Pike had to yell at the sound guy to "turn this loving sub off!"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You do lose a little bit of the overwhelming crush of noise effect wearing earplugs (unless it's a Sunn O))) show), but it's amazing how much better you can actually hear the melodies and pick out individual instruments. Plus you don't end up with your ears ringing for the next three days (unless it's a Sunn O))) show). I've been wearing those Etymotics to gigs for years now, strongly recommended.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Wearing plugs is actually the coolest thing because it means you are go to a lot of shows and are fuckin worried about how going to tons of shows is going to affect your long term hearing. So no need to worry about looking lame. If anyone was worried about that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snowy posted:

I wish there were a lot more bands that fit this description.
There's quite a few death/doom bands around more or less like that actually, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h_Cv4h3K9A, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrEs74KXpQ

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

specifically the Etymotics are the best plugs, way better than Earpeace (which cost like $8 more but they do come with a cool little steel case). the center stalk thing on the Etymotics make them really easy to put in and adjust

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just got in from Earth and Boris, good times. Boris really is loud as gently caress, y'all.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

nerve posted:

Wearing plugs is actually the coolest thing because it means you are go to a lot of shows and are fuckin worried about how going to tons of shows is going to affect your long term hearing. So no need to worry about looking lame. If anyone was worried about that.

Quoting this. The only people I see without plugs are shows are teenagers and people who generally look like they don't go to shows often/don't know what they are getting themselves into. The coolness argument is especially bizarre in this thread because who are any of trying to impress at the Weedbonger/Electric Slothfucker/Desertlords of the Space Magick show in the back room of the sandwich shop anyhow

edit: Not singling anyone out here I'm just trying to help the helpable - my hearing is noticeably subnormal because I thought plugs were hindering my playing in my crummy teenage noise band

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 29, 2016

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hearing is good. Plugs are good. Wear plugs so you can hear good and enjoy listening to he music while being the weirdo 50-year-old at the sludge show in a dive bar in twenty years.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

Hearing is good. Plugs are good. Wear plugs so you can hear good and enjoy listening to he music while being the weirdo 50-year-old at the sludge show in a dive bar in twenty years.

Ordering some of these, since it will only be 7 years (and not 20) until this is me. Plus, there's a metric fuckton of loudness descending on my city soon (Opeth w/ The Sword, Gojira w/ Tesseract, Meshuggah w/ High On Fire) and after seeing A Place to Bury Strangers a few weeks back in a small room I think I need to be more cautious.

Is Large Fit for people with elephant ears? I'm assuming Standard works for you lot?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Standard works for me just fine

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wore Etymotics on a weekly basis for band rehearsal/gigs and they lasted 4 years until the rubber cone bit detached from the plastic stem bit while it was in my ear at a Yob show.

I was pretty cut because it was the first Yob show I had been to but I got some foam plugs from the bar which was better than nothing. I replaced them with Happy Ears which arent bad but arent really good either.

I raw dogged Adrift in the Ocean though :smug:

I havent met anyone that needs the large Etymotics.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Holy poo poo, this is fantastic. Thanks for the share!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Went to the Forn/Yellow Eyes show last night and it was a blast. They're at St. Vitus tonight so check them out if you can. Or at one of their other tour dates for the next couple weeks. And I got a little inside info that Forn's next album is going to 1.5 hours long and gonna expand their sound some more, so I'm excited about that.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQt8oWBN2k

New Neurosis album teaser.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Forn put out a new jam today.
https://forn.bandcamp.com/album/ambitions-toward-nothingness

Also the second Sea song from their upcoming split is up, too.
http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/8/1/track-premiere-sea-navigate-heavy-waters-before-crossing-an-ocean

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 3, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I saw Inter Amra last night. Great show. I wish they had played longer :(
However, it was great to head home around 12:30. :)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
This Boris show tonight couldn't come at a better time. I have tomorrow off and this week is crushing me. Sadly I'm going to have to find something to prop myself against or to sit on since standing for a long time is still not really going to happen thanks to GOONFLOOD2016 injuries.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Larry David: Sleep fan

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Saw Sumac tonight. So good. Check them boys out if you can. Aaron's mom was there and she seemed pretty cool.

Some of you European boners have Elder and Cough coming your way, so enjoy that, ya jerks.

butros posted:

Larry David: Sleep fan

Pretty good.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Holy poo poo really?

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Nah it's just a look-alike:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Pretay pretay good

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My band played its first hometown show last night, at a tiny venue in Wrigleyville. It was only booked a week ago and the headlining band was a group from Minneapolis who only have a demo out, so unsurprisingly the attendance was pretty much the performers + a handful of friends. Still, most was fun to get out and play, and we basically did some networking with a couple of really nice bands who let us borrow all of their gear except for guitar and bass. We need to get out to the Twin Cities some time.

If you don't mind, I'm gonna plug both of those bands because they're great musicians and people.

Livid headlined, and they are unconscionably loud. Musically they build very long songs around two or three riffs, sort of challenging themselves to keep it interesting with slight variations and a lot of jammy interplay.
https://lividmpls.bandcamp.com/releases

Without are more meandering, with a lot of post-rock influence and a very ethereal sound. On record I wasn't in love with it, but in a live setting it really clicked. I haven't heard the new one yet--it was just put up the other day.
http://withoutdoom.bandcamp.com/

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Doom Band Name Generator

edit:
Space Serpent and the Devil

edit 2: would love to hear a doom version of the Curb Your Enthusiasm music.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 7, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Doom Band Name Generator

edit:
Space Serpent and the Devil

edit 2: would love to hear a doom version of the Curb Your Enthusiasm music.

Holy poo poo that's a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

nerve posted:

One of the three disappointing times I saw Mastodon live, Brent Hinds stopped playing in the middle of their fourth or fifth song of the set to bitch at the sound guys that his guitar wasn't tuned correctly. After a good minute of an increasingly irate and profane rant about his guitar tuning, he threw in that the monitors were way too loud and to turn them down. The guy he was yelling at said something I couldn't hear, but it must have been to the effect of "Aren't you wearing hearing protection?" because Brent responded, "No, I'm not wearing earplugs, I'm not a pussy." I was the only one of my friends at the show not wearing earplugs, so I at least got a good laugh out of that.

That said, I've been in the market for a good pair of plugs for years and I'm gonna jump on those Etymotics, thanks for the link and testimonials.