Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
A coin toss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Tin Tim posted:

Never counter that ufo if you know what you're doing in the game

I got one very early and it was rough. Four stun lancer charges, 4 hits, 3 knockouts. Fortunately, you can just pile the unconscious bodies up in the evac zone - you don't need to have someone carrying them to get them out.

Aliens then tried the same thing next month and got completely slaughtered. Upgrading to mag weapons made a big difference.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Right, thanks for the reminder about the character pool. It contains about 170 soldiers, most from the sign ups and some that got made for my stream and a few that got sent to me from others. Anyway here is the Giant Goon Pool - http://www.mediafire.com/download/8x3l2waold27x7c/Giant+Goon+Pool.bin

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

It's the entire point of the games, arguably. Late game gear is laughably overpowered, but nobody minds, because you're getting to use it against those fuckers who made your early game hell.

In X-Com: UFO Defense, the balancing factor was mind-controlling aliens who could target you while your soldiers were still in the Skyranger. All that wonderful explosive gear isn't as good when it's being used on your own troops and you'd have to clear the crashed UFO entirely to kill the mind-controlling alien.

Whereas in Terror from the Deep, the balancing factor was the player's likelihood to rage-quit before reaching the late game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Jade Star posted:

Right, thanks for the reminder about the character pool. It contains about 170 soldiers, most from the sign ups and some that got made for my stream and a few that got sent to me from others. Anyway here is the Giant Goon Pool - http://www.mediafire.com/download/8x3l2waold27x7c/Giant+Goon+Pool.bin

Thanks for sharing!
Also, 170??? wow, I guess there's a lot more lurkers then I would have thought.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AriadneThread posted:

Thanks for sharing!
Also, 170??? wow, I guess there's a lot more lurkers then I would have thought.

Remember 50 of those are Skippy Granola's

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Really enjoying this so far, I do want to ask though, how different would an unmodded game look? With XCOM 2 eventually coming out on PS4 I'm definitely interested in playing it (provided they put at least half an arse of effort into porting it to consoles), and I really doubt PS4 is going to have the same options available. I've already seen clips of the ridiculous 20-man overwatch firing line Beagle had going, and as much as I want that I don't think that is going to happen for me. Are you keeping your mods entirely to cosmetic stuff in this playthrough, or are there also some ease-of-use mods in there?

Also I understand what it's like to be cursed with computers exploding around you, and it just so happens that I started watching this LP the day before you posted about everything going wrong. I hope it's not somehow my fault.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The mods I am running in the LP are very minor and mostly cosmetic or quality of life mods so the overall impact of them compared to a new unmodded playthrough someone might have, or console game with out the workshop, is very minimal. What you're seeing in the LP is going to be about 90-95% the same as the default game. I personal love the numeric health displays, thats a big one that i think should have just been in the option menus from day one. The Gotcha flank preview is another good one, all it does is turn the little red 'you can shoot the enemy from here' icon into a yellow 'you can shoot from here' icon when you would be flanking them. Again something that feels like a minor quality of life thing that should have been in the game to begin with.

The only significant mod I have running is the True Retroactive AWC mod, and i think we covered that in a video. But in case I missed it, the AWC can give a soldier one random perk from the pool of AWC skills. These can be cross class too, allowing things like run and gun snipers, or rapid fire supports. These bonus skills are awarded to each soldier at a random promotion level. In the base game there exists the problem of if you promote a soldier past the level they were supposed to get the skill at before the AWC is built and ready then then bonus skill is lost forever. The mod changes this and checks retroactively to make sure soldiers do not miss out on their bonus skill. The one failure is that even the mod must check for this at promotion, meaning if you get a Colonel before the AWC is built, mod or no, they won't be able to get the bonus skill.

So yeah, comparing the LP to a base unmodded game the main difference are going to be numeric health displays, a little icon that goes from red to yellow, and the AWC working retroactively. And the dozens of cosmetic mods and voice packs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If I recall correctly from an LP I watched, the skill is not lost forever, you just need to retrain the soldier in the AWC to get it.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

my dad posted:

If I recall correctly from an LP I watched, the skill is not lost forever, you just need to retrain the soldier in the AWC to get it.

This is incorrect. It is, in fact, lost forever.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Shinarato posted:

Huh. Weird-rear end mods strike again, I guess?

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Maybe. Or just invisible patch notes at some point, since I don't think Jade has ever removed that mod since he found out the AWC was not retroactive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like the low-mod use. The Commander's guide to surviving XCOM should not be "change a bunch of things."

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Commander's guide to XCOM: Delete every file associated with aliens. Command your universe to not include hostile alien bastards. Win the war before it begins.

You'll never invent plasma cannons without the threat of extraterrestrial life coming to eat your planet, but that seems a fair trade-off.

(Please tell me this game has plasma cannons)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Commander's guide to XCOM: Delete every file associated with aliens. Command your universe to not include hostile alien bastards. Win the war before it begins.

You'll never invent plasma cannons without the threat of extraterrestrial life coming to eat your planet, but that seems a fair trade-off.

(Please tell me this game has plasma cannons)

It has plasma weapons and obviously this must include one for the Grenadier.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

TheDarkFlame posted:

Like 15 years ago when a friend first introduced me to the original X-Com this was almost his solution to lobster men. He got a program that could change the stats of any alien and set every lobsterman to have 0 HP so they would die the moment the map started.

I can not blame him for this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kasrkin posted:

Anyone experience with the AllPodsActive mod?

i am kinda on the Fence about trying it. on one hand it seems kinda cool, because you need to be careful not to get dragged in unwanted Crossfires, on the other hand, it seems like it might get overwhelming really fast in later stages.

to Stay relevant, what factor decides if you evade the UFO successfully?.

It actually depends on your difficulty, on the lowest difficulty you only see that mission once, no matter how many times the dark event shows up.

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012

Shinarato posted:

This is incorrect. Just view the soldier skill screen, and the AWC skill will appear, if the soldier is high enough level.
So, as soon as the AWC is complete, go to the Armory and view soldiers, then view a soldier, then drill down to the skills screen. Then use the Next Soldier button to rapidly view all soldiers' skill screens.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

AlanFrost posted:

This is incorrect. Just view the soldier skill screen, and the AWC skill will appear, if the soldier is high enough level.
So, as soon as the AWC is complete, go to the Armory and view soldiers, then view a soldier, then drill down to the skills screen. Then use the Next Soldier button to rapidly view all soldiers' skill screens.

This did not work for me and was the reason I originally installed the retroactive AWC mod.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Narsham posted:

In X-Com: UFO Defense, the balancing factor was mind-controlling aliens who could target you while your soldiers were still in the Skyranger. All that wonderful explosive gear isn't as good when it's being used on your own troops and you'd have to clear the crashed UFO entirely to kill the mind-controlling alien.

Whereas in Terror from the Deep, the balancing factor was the player's likelihood to rage-quit before reaching the late game.

Apocalypse - Toxigun B
Interceptor - Tracking Tracer Cannon

Out of all the OP mid-to-late game changing equipment the XCOM universe has, I wonder if anything is actually more broken than the Toxigun. Psi-Amp/MC Disruptor mind control comes close, but it's still not vomiting forth clusters of shield-piercing neurotoxin darts at your enemies. :allears:

Bruceski posted:

I like the low-mod use. The Commander's guide to surviving XCOM should not be "change a bunch of things."

I talked with Jade about this before he started the LP, and we agree the LP should be as vanilla as possible, with only cosmetic or very minor mod use. I think talking about mods is certainly ok to get a perspective on what's out there, but the videos should be more or less vanilla. But then again, just because you can play this on the PS4/Xbone doesn't mean you should.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Evac All is also one of those things that should have been included with the game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

monster on a stick posted:

Evac All is also one of those things that should have been included with the game.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't straight up added it to the game yet because WHY IS IT NOT IN THE GAME, JAKE!?

Also, thanks for recommending the flank preview mod Jade. I didn't know it existed and it's already improving my quality of life. Though I just now had my first ever crash in the longest time after using it. I'm pretty sure it was unrelated to such a tiny mod...but then again perhaps it's become a vector for JAIDS?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
The "stop wasting my time mod" hasn't been updated for the latest patch but clears a ton of the annoying pauses that slow down the game. Stuff like

Bradford constantly bitching about civilians on retaliation maps. (SHUT UP BRADFORD THAT IDIOT WAS ACROSS THE MAP)
The 3-4 second pause after activating a pod, where it sticks the camera on them and can't be moved.
The 1-2 second pause after shooting an alien, hit or miss.
Transitions in the Avenger screen.
Speeding up the travel time of the Avenger on the global map.

And a bunch of other items that were probably added because they look cool but are very frustrating to someone trying to play the game quickly. Whenever it gets updated to the latest patch is when I'll do another playthrough.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
One of my mods has broken soldiers randomly appearing through the Avenger, like in the bar. I'm sure it's that one or another mod installed for my impatience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GuavaMoment posted:

Apocalypse - Toxigun B
Interceptor - Tracking Tracer Cannon

Out of all the OP mid-to-late game changing equipment the XCOM universe has, I wonder if anything is actually more broken than the Toxigun. Psi-Amp/MC Disruptor mind control comes close, but it's still not vomiting forth clusters of shield-piercing neurotoxin darts at your enemies. :allears:

I still think the psi-amp is still even more busted. Spot one enemy, and he's neutralized, everything in his LOS is neutralized, and everything in THEIR LOS is neutralized, AND they can soak ambush fire for your troops. All from the safety of the skyranger.

At least you have to use ammo for the toxigun. Technically.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Kwyndig posted:

It actually depends on your difficulty, on the lowest difficulty you only see that mission once, no matter how many times the dark event shows up.

oh, i actually meant on the Global map, after you received the pop up informing you, you are being tracked by it and bradford yelling about Evasive maneuvers.
what factor decides if the UFO catches you, or not.
but thanks for the Info, i didnt know that.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Jade Star posted:

This did not work for me and was the reason I originally installed the retroactive AWC mod.

Well it's just nice to know that this mod basically just fixes the very inconsistent nature of this bug. Sometimes I wonder if X-Com 2 is just going for the Bethesda model of patching of "Let the fans to it"

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Meat Root Beer

The game starts getting busy now. Gone are the days when there isn't a ton of things to do on the geoscape, a long laundry list of things to build back on the avenger, and never enough time or supplies to see everything done. This is when you need to start figuring out your priorities and where you're going to spend your supplies first. Expanding is a high priority as it will help you earn money and counter the Avatar project. Your squad needs better gear in a hurry as well but a kit of magnetic weapons and armor is going to take a lot of time to research and more supplies to build. Intel may even become a problem and start stifling your expansion plans. There is no easy solution to all these problems either but to understand that this is not a fail state. You are going to be tight on resources the entire time and you just need to manage it as best you can and make good decisions with the resources you do have.

This video will see our ranks expand with a total of five new rookies brought onto the team, giving me more than enough back ups to make sure I can keep a sky ranger fully loaded with a competent fight force. Also we will just start to get better equipment too, and just in time because I really need to start cleaning up the geopscape. While there is no penalty for letting the scan sites linger, I am definitely starting to fall behind where I want to be with them. With some new guns and armor though we could be blowing right through them.

Supply missions are neat for a few reasons. They just pop up, meaning they don't take days to scan for them first, they just happen and you reap the benefits. Secondly they don't have timers or any objective other than to kill all the aliens so you can take your time and be safe about things. The only real feature of the mission is that your reward is actually on the battle field. Crates marked with a golden glow carry the supplies you are after and blowing them up is bad. This isn't always as easy to avoid as you may like as the ADVENT soldiers are usually patrolling around the vehicles that carry the supplies and have no problem taking cover behind the cars and trucks that carry the supplies, or using the supply crates themselves as cover. Using some restraint with explosives will usually prevent the loss of supply crates but even then missed shots can hit the crates or set a truck cab on fire and supplies will be lost no matter how careful you are. Even still, the loss of a crate or two isn't a mission failure, it just means you'll be going home with slightly less than you would be otherwise.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Lets play X-COM 2 GOD drat IT GAME LET ME TALK

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stun lancers that get a turn always make me clench a little, especially when it's your own character :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cokerpilot posted:

Lets play X-COM 2 GOD drat IT GAME LET ME TALK

Let's GET THOSE PEOPLE OUTTA THERE, COMMANDER!!com 2

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Man Whore stole the spotlight despite being horrible.

Meanwhile, Ciaphas mowed down like, 3 enemies, all with critical shots. Definitely a Gift Horse.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jade Star is there a Hulk Hogan voice pack and if not can there be one please

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man Whore proves that XCOM2 is the Dead Rising 2 of Xcom

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
Nobody's talking about the viper?

Anyone keeping abreast of the fan reaction to XCOM2 knows that this alien is extremely popular in certain circles. Tumblr and Deviantart in particular have been milking it for all it's worth.

The tongue-grab is a really obnoxious ability. Getting yoinked out of cover is no fun at all, especially if the unfortunate victim is moved into a position that wakes up more aliens. On top of that, it's not a turn-ending ability, so the viper can immediately follow it up by constricting. Ouch. Mimic beacons are good for wasting their turn, as they will try to grab, poison, and squeeze holograms - none of which has any effect at all.

Nice to see the debut of Man Whore on this mission. I'm sure that going into battle naked and setting himself on fire is an excellent strategy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guava's "ugh he INVENTED radio" made me laugh.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am not sure if anyone's directly pointed this out yet but I really love how you essentially are a terrorist organisation in XCOM2. You're not fighting a proper war, you're not an open rebellion against the system; you're a straight up covert group of hotheads, freedom fighters and, in some cases if you look at the default character bio's, coldblooded killers. Trying to force out the Advent regime through anti-Advent propaganda, bombings of their facilities, abduction of their personnel and straight up sending groups of armed paramilitary troopers into their cities, with civies everywhere; killing their members, stealing their poo poo and blowing whole buildings up just because they are in the way.

You fight dirty because it's the only way you can win, and it's amazing. I'd really love more stuff to be released on how say the everyday citizens living in Advent funded cities perceive XCOM's actions.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh hey my guy is in the soldier list. Recruit Ben Shepwynnnn.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Could go for some Hulk Hogan Meat Root Beer right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade, you fucker- just refusing to change the color scheme, huh? :argh:

• Locked thread