Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
To be fair, there's so many drugs in this series to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Did I say performance enhancing drugs? Cookie chartreuse brontosaurus, I think I'm having a stroke!

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I don't think we've talked about how awesome episode 4 was enough.

and by we I mean everybody but me as i'm at a loss for words.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

You just push the button to speak dude

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Just finished the season and holy poo poo this show guys... gently caress, man.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've heard of "laugh til you cry", but this is ridiculous!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hedrigall posted:

I've heard of "laugh til you cry", but this is ridiculous!

That's TOO MUCH, man!

*laughtrack*

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Yowza yowza bobowza!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Catsplosion posted:

I don't think we've talked about how awesome episode 4 was enough.

and by we I mean everybody but me as i'm at a loss for words.

The button's on your left collar.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

i am the bird posted:

Yowza yowza bobowza!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo - I am finally done and what a beautiful ride this season was. It was so perfect - everything so connected and sewn together without any indication that they are even leading up to something. The entire under-the-sea city was a work of art and then "You gotta be..." ending. Amazing.

And that last episode? What?! What the hell? A daughter?? Goddamn I love this show.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Bojack, to Diane, mourning Sarah Lynn on his couch: "What are you doing here"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Bojack, to Diane, mourning Sarah Lynn on his couch: "What are you doing here"

That's great.

As an aside, if there's one thing I think this show could do that would disappoint me, it would be BoJack and Diane sleeping together for any reason at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Captain Lavender posted:

That's great.

As an aside, if there's one thing I think this show could do that would disappoint me, it would be BoJack and Diane sleeping together for any reason at all.

This would only be acceptable if Mr. Peanutbutter's cheery attitude finally snaps in half, and the show ends with him murdering everybody.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SEX BURRITO posted:

drat. :(

While we're talking about Bojack music, I hadn't heard the full version of the theme song until a couple of days ago. The saxophone is awesome and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpc1BN4nN8

Thanks for this. What a fantastic piece of music.

In fact something I've wanted to say throughout this season watch, but had to wait till I got caught up on the thread, was how much the opening sequence has turned into this iconic thing that instantly gets the endorphins flowing. Back in S1 I pegged it as being sort of a Mad Men parody, but without really changing anything about the simplicity of its concept it's taken on a life of its own the longer the show has gone on. I love watching it. I make special time for it.

It's got such a great buildup, from scene to scene following Bojack's walleyed stare, and they can play around so much with the backgrounds as the story progresses (the Cabracadabra drivers turning into the strippers halfway through, then the whole house being empty for the final episode), but the central focus is always that great big horse face and how the cacophony of the outside world is just this sort of annoying buzz to him, an echoing tornado of other people's lives and him in a glass bubble that none of them can really break through no matter what he does.

Extra bonus comes from how his backing the Tesla into his pool in Ep. 11 mirrors it, and the nihilism inherent in the final sequence of the intro is further echoed in the suicide attempt at the end of Ep. 12.

The end of S2 used the theme song as a bookend to make the first two seasons feel like a self-contained narrative unit, but the way this season ends with a more thematic bit of closure to that foreshadowing is even more satisfying, even if the story itself isn't as tidily tied up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

C-SPAN Caller posted:

They pulled off a 2007 flashback with no warning or background in the second episode that set up the rest of the season, they can pull off that too.

It's nuts how much better s2 and s3 and late s1 are compared to early s1. I never believed good shows could have bad beginning stints of episodes but this show sure did. The fact this show only has 4 stars on netflix is weird.

Also this. I'm remembering the first impression the show made, and remember how it seemed to want to be a catchphrase machine? Like, self-aware catchphrases, but catchphrases nonetheless?

"Bojack.
...Horseman.
...Obviously."

And the way he would habitually overexplain a joke to make sure everyone got it, which was a good gag once, but they kept doing it to the point where it seemed to be his schtick.

Not to mention "What is this, a crossover episode?" which was, again, a lampshaded Mr.PB thing, and they've continued to riff on it to the present day, but early on it added to the general feel of the show being shock humor and edgy "modern" dialogue.

These days the repartee between all the cast members is far more finely tuned, and only seems to be getting denser and denser with commentary on how certain kinds of people act. I mean, this:

quote:

You had sex with Emily?!

Well, what did you think?

I don't know! Not that! I just knew something sketchy happened. I thought maybe you gave her one of your weird monologues about how sad you are, and it bummed her out!

Todd, I'm sorry, all right? I screwed up. I know I screwed up. I don't know why—

Oh, great! Of course! Here it comes! You can't keep doing this! You can't keep doing lovely things, and then feel bad about yourself like that makes it okay! You need to be better!

I know. And I'm sorry, okay? I was drunk, and there was all this pressure with the Oscar campaign. - But now Now that it's over, I -

No! No, BoJack, just stop. You are all the things that are wrong with you. It's not the alcohol, or the drugs, or any of the lovely things that happened to you in your career, or when you were a kid.
It's you. All right? It's you. gently caress, man. What else is there to say?

"I'm sorry, okay?" AND THAT IS LITERALLY WHERE TO STOP. But no, he keeps going, and he starts making excuses, like what's that supposed to accomplish? Make Todd soften, go easier on him? People who do this drive me up the wall; they can't just apologize. They have to start rationalizing and defending, right there in the moment, like somehow they can still salvage the conversation and be "right". Todd is a harmless dummy savant kind of guy without a mean bone in his body, but even he can be driven to the brink by one too many false pointless apologies. I feel like the show might not have been a "dare" so much as someone wanting really, really badly to lay down some sick commentary on natural lovely human behavior but it's taken three seasons' worth of independent character development for it to all feel organic and not to come across like the writers being gratuitously cathartic about people they know in their own lives.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Speaking of music, what was that song that played after Todd and Emily practiced kissing? It's short and ends with the words YUM YUM as it transitions to another scene. It's inexplicably gotten stuck in my head.

Google is being helpful by suggesting I watch 1976 film The Yum Yum Girls or listen to Ludacris's Blueberry Yum Yum.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
S2>S1>>S3

It was still fine TV but I didn't really think any of the characters developed. That said, the underwater episode, rutabagas victory and the abortion were all gold.

S3 was a lot more subdued in general. That makes sense because the only development we do get is "characters becoming more alienated" and isolation is antithetical to drama.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I actually think (some of) the characters may have developed too much, to the point where I have no idea how they can continue to function as an ensemble in another season of television.

Speaking of, noticed this in an interview with Raphael Bob-Waksberg -

quote:

Maybe we do a whole season where every character just has their own story and they don't interact with each other at all. That works for Girls. Why not? We'll see how it goes.

Based on prior experience with Netflix-based 4th seasons of critically acclaimed Will Arnett vehicles, I'm... less than optimistic about this

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I actually do think a split narrative between Bojack trying to live a new life in the desert and the rest of the characters in Hollywoo would be great.

The characters could change without Bojack, while Bojack realizes the way he treats people is wrong when he starts to understand how much everyone has to deal with his bullshit all the time because he misses their helping him.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I actually do think a split narrative between Bojack trying to live a new life in the desert and the rest of the characters in Hollywoo would be great.

The characters could change without Bojack, while Bojack realizes the way he treats people is wrong when he starts to understand how much everyone has to deal with his bullshit all the time because he misses their helping him.

It'd be a cool direction to take it.

It'd also be neat if he comes back from wandering the desert looking like Jim Carrey from the 1999 MTV Awards, strung out after getting high on life.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

MrSlam posted:

It'd be a cool direction to take it.

It'd also be neat if he comes back from wandering the desert looking like Jim Carrey from the 1999 MTV Awards, strung out after getting high on life.

Holy poo poo that would be beautiful, I can already picture it. A season arc where Todd, Diane, etc figuring out their lives without Bojack around would be great. Meanwhile Bojack's running through the desert, going to Burning Man, doing all sorts of unhinged "I'm desperately trying to find myself and be okay with who I am" stuff before he comes back. The Jim Carrey bit would be a great season end if the speech is cut short to where Bojack rags on the Oscar academy and then thanks everyone for coming out to party one last time. Nobody catches his meaning, and then the series ends.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think this might tie back in to what people were suggesting earlier in the thread, of doing an episode completely without Bojack, even doing the opening without him in it. The thing is Bojack's already had several stretches of disappearing from everyone's life, we just stuck with him during them - the New Mexico incident and the Lynn binge were both months-long, and the rest of the cast appears to have just carried on in the meantime. They're not necessarily waiting for a month without Bojack for the scales to fall from their eyes about how much of a bad influence he is. Still, it might be an interesting direction, the only issue I see is it might lead to a sort of unfocused story like this last season where different main characters didn't intersect as much and things didn't quite so clearly build to a single climax. If they want to split up Bojack and his supporting cast they should have a clear goal behind doing so and still tie everyone's arc together somehow.

Also on Bojack and Diane, possibly the only thing close to development for Bojack is they don't seem to be at risk of sleeping together. I don't think there was ever a point where Diane seemed like she was falling for him, like when Charlotte kissed Bojack and then had to ask him to leave - even at her lowest point when she crashed on his couch for four months hiding from Mr. Peanutbutter, their relationship was just two bummed out people dragging each other down. There was that bit this season where one of her old friends asked her why she went to him instead of one of her other friends and she dodged the issue, but I think that's as simple as all her other friends would've pushed her to do the right thing whereas she knew staying with Bojack would let her wallow in her misery.

Despite being a core element of season one I don't know if Diane and Bojack's unhealthy friendship will continue being all that important, considering how muted it was this season.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Dolash posted:

If they want to split up Bojack and his supporting cast they should have a clear goal behind doing so and still tie everyone's arc together somehow.

Yeah there'd definitely need to be a shift to another character to 'be' the Bojack. Most likely it'd be Diane. It's funny, you think when the show first starts that she's going to be the infallible straight-man who's too cool and logical for everyone's poo poo but she ends up being just as lost and troubled as everyone else.

Dolash posted:

their relationship was just two bummed out people dragging each other down. There was that bit this season where one of her old friends asked her why she went to him instead of one of her other friends and she dodged the issue, but I think that's as simple as all her other friends would've pushed her to do the right thing whereas she knew staying with Bojack would let her wallow in her misery.

Ouch. :( I just realized me and one of my best friends have that sort of relationship. Even during the hiatus you're still finding ways to hurt me Will Arnett.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dolash posted:

Also on Bojack and Diane, possibly the only thing close to development for Bojack is they don't seem to be at risk of sleeping together. I don't think there was ever a point where Diane seemed like she was falling for him, like when Charlotte kissed Bojack and then had to ask him to leave - even at her lowest point when she crashed on his couch for four months hiding from Mr. Peanutbutter, their relationship was just two bummed out people dragging each other down. There was that bit this season where one of her old friends asked her why she went to him instead of one of her other friends and she dodged the issue, but I think that's as simple as all her other friends would've pushed her to do the right thing whereas she knew staying with Bojack would let her wallow in her misery.

This is what I was thinking about when I said I hope they never sleep together.

Their relationship has complexities. BoJack is introspective, he understands despair, and is willing to wallow in it and commiserate. When Diane feels pressure be important and fails, he's a very comfortable place to go to. It's probably its own kind of high to hang out doing drugs with BoJack and forget about expectations of you. So in season 3 she had to stay away from him because it's too comfortable to defiantly not give a poo poo. Kind of like that 30 Rock episode about how lying down in the snow will make you feel warm and euphoric before it kills you. So if the show turned this co-dependency into a romantic thing, it'd bum me out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Their relationship has complexities. BoJack is introspective, he understands despair, and is willing to wallow in it and commiserate. When Diane feels pressure be important and fails, he's a very comfortable place to go to. It's probably its own kind of high to hang out doing drugs with BoJack and forget about expectations of you. So in season 3 she had to stay away from him because it's too comfortable to defiantly not give a poo poo. Kind of like that 30 Rock episode about how lying down in the snow will make you feel warm and euphoric before it kills you. So if the show turned this co-dependency into a romantic thing, it'd bum me out.
Classic Zoe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Captain Lavender posted:

Oh god, I think I might be my friend's Bojack. Oh god.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Some people have Legos. Others have stamp collections. I run mock awards polls, and BoJack Horseman has a shot at a few (for its second season, not this one). Drop by and vote for the show, because the Emmy people sure as hell didn't.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 30, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My google fist is weak. Could someone provide the "tell me I'm good/suck a dick dumb shits" diptych?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Finally someone brings me an adequate amouny of lokos

Every ep of this show is a lovely treasure

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm rewatching season 1 with a friend who's never seen the show, and I'd forgotten how the Herb episode makes a point of showing Bojack casually turning down drinks in the flashbacks. drat, man.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Dolash posted:

I kinda wanted them to get together in the past. Mostly because it'd only last a couple of episodes and would have been a spectacular trainwreck. Diane never seemed interested, but she's not one to show her feelings, and as her friend pointed out she does have a weird fixation on Bojack

Either way, they need to break up Diane and Mr Peanutbutter. The marriage counselling stuff was one of the few bits of season 3 that didn't really work. It'd be far more interesting to see them go through a divorce at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

I'm rewatching season 1 with a friend who's never seen the show, and I'd forgotten how the Herb episode makes a point of showing Bojack casually turning down drinks in the flashbacks. drat, man.

I do like how they say "Naw, lets get rich!" because its nice to see someone taking a realistic view of the entertainment industry. It's about my vision man, I don't care about the money! gently caress you, you like the money.

Sextina Aquafina was referred to as a dubstep wonderkid, but she's more like a Lady Gaga or Grimes style synthpop act. I mean, this probably comes from the writers not knowing what Dubstep actually was, and I think we're better off because gently caress Dubstep. Ooh you warbled a base and had a drop, wow you're so loving talented!

I really doubt Diane and Bojack would get together, though I could see her and Mr Peanutbutter having a divorce or seperation, she ends up living at Bojacks again, and there is some night where they're both drunk as hell and Diane goes for it, but then Bojack pushes her away, showing that he is able to actually not make the wrong decision in his life for once.

Hell, they could turn the tables and have Mr Peanutbutter be the horrible wreck and Bojack getting his life back together.

Obviously, Mr Peanutbutter loses it finally because the print shop messes up again.

"I'm sorry Diane, please put Diane in a different font, and don't write this on the banner"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Hell, they could turn the tables and have Mr Peanutbutter......

...get drunk and sleep with Bojack.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've heard of "give the dog a bone", but this is ridiculous!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

teen witch posted:

God bless this show.

Jennifer Jason Lawrence

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SEX BURRITO posted:

Either way, they need to break up Diane and Mr Peanutbutter. The marriage counselling stuff was one of the few bits of season 3 that didn't really work. It'd be far more interesting to see them go through a divorce at this point.

As fun as it is to see Mr. Peanutbutter being Mr. Peanutbutter, all irrepressible goofball labrador retriever, some of the most interesting moments of S3 were where he started to let things get to him. Seeing him break façade and actually get mad (whether at Diane, Bojack, his brother's spleen, or who knows what else) feels like something that's been teased more and more as the show has gone on, and his story's got to be building to something pretty big.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LeJackal posted:

I saw someone once mention Mr Peanutbutter being Bisexual, but I've never seen any evidence.

Oh yea, I never thought of Judah being a jewish stereotype, he was more that beardo hipster with a man bun but has a professional job. I've seen lots of those guys downtown.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

LeJackal posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Hedrigall posted:

I've heard of "give the dog a bone", but this is ridiculous!

I definitely read this in PB's voice.