Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

RandallODim posted:

It's almost like its his tragic flaw or something. I still think rubber bullets is dumb on a character level as a reveal, but your take actually makes it somewhat better.

This is his weakness is his blind loyalty and belief to the old ways of strength giving you influence. A substory shows how the new age Yak patriarch just throws money at the problem was shocked to see how disresepectful his soldiers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Yakuza is at its best when Kiryu is doling out beatdowns fueled by fatherly rage.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Which song is the humming one heard at Nagasugai Sushi Zanmai from the outside? Got a youtuber making awesome SoulsBorne PvP videos with that and part of the Godhand theme, specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCRdw9ln6M

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Yakuza is at its best when Kiryu is doling out beatdowns fueled by fatherly rage.

I can confirm this poster with the Witcher avatar knows all about good fighting dads.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

MrLonghair posted:

Ishin doesn't need jack to understand the story, but it helps to appreciate, understand and get into the setting. Does have its faults as a game but it is fine, just a risky investment even before a localization studio is hired.

Ishin brought us two tall buff dudes bathhouse fighting in the goddamn nude complete with QTEs that would make the ESRB and Australian ratings board blush and demand changes after all. (and then there's the lady you drink with, then do strip rock paper scissors, then the shmup section.. but the songs at the singing bar and the fan dance! poo poo's great! People are missing out on the good of it! Man..)

Man, I searched the bathhouse fight and I don't know whether to be disappointed there wasn't actually flapping dicks or entertained that it had the traditional pre-fight over-shoulder pan framed just right to have Kazuma's fist blocking the other guy's junk. More games should have a QTE for better grasping your opponent's rear end.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah. Their poo poo belongs in fiction and not real life, and hopefully someday that's the only place it will be.

Edit: by the way, who else has watched Battle without Honor (dunno if that is the official translation of 仁義なき戦い or if there is one) movies? They're all on Amazon Prime here in Japan so I watched a few and drat if they aren't just nonstop manly men running around and loving each other up over stupid petty poo poo, and in thick Hiroshima accents I can barely understand. I wonder if 6 will take inspiration from that and be the messiest game yet?
Yeah, the Battles Without Honor and Humanity (which is how it's usually translated in English) films own. If you dig them, it might be worth it to look for Fukasaku's other revisionist yakuza films, e.g. Graveyard of Honor (1975) and Yakuza Graveyard (1976), the former of which was remade in 2002 by mega-prolific director Takashi Miike, who also directed Like a Dragon (2007), the screen adaptation of the Yakuza games.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The Battles Without Honor and Humanity films own. Arrow made a really nice box set of them.

Also Miike's Yakuza game-movie was terrible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mikeycp posted:

The Battles Without Honor and Humanity films own. Arrow made a really nice box set of them.

Also Miike's Yakuza game-movie was terrible.
I like when he gulped the stamina spark and was healed. I don't remember the rest really.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I like when he gulped the stamina spark and was healed. I don't remember the rest really.
Consider that a blessing. It's like Miike heard that the Yakuza games had substories, and for whatever reason then decided to focus the majority of the film's running time on a few really dumb ones. Tossing in the absolute bare-loving-bones of the Yakuza 1 plot between the substories felt like Miike just threw his hands up and said "Oh yeah, there was supposed be some Kiryu guy doing a thing, wasn't there? Whatever, gently caress it."

Which was a shame because I remember the guy who played Majima absolutely nailing it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Random Hajile posted:

Consider that a blessing. It's like Miike heard that the Yakuza games had substories, and for whatever reason then decided to focus the majority of the film's running time on a few really dumb ones. Tossing in the absolute bare-loving-bones of the Yakuza 1 plot between the substories felt like Miike just threw his hands up and said "Oh yeah, there was supposed be some Kiryu guy doing a thing, wasn't there? Whatever, gently caress it."
The dude has made four or five feature films every loving year for a quarter of a century. That's not Miike throwing up his hands, that's just how he do.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

SubG posted:

The dude has made four or five feature films every loving year for a quarter of a century. That's not Miike throwing up his hands, that's just how he do.
Nah, I've seen a few of his other movies. He can tell an actual story when he feels like it. This wasn't that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I remember this and some random couple with a boring story that took up like 60% of the runtime.

The energy drink was the only actually notable part.

Random Hajile posted:

Nah, I've seen a few of his other movies. He can tell an actual story when he feels like it. This wasn't that.

You can tell when Miike gives a gently caress. Like a Dragon was him very much not doing that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Random Hajile posted:

That's kinda my point. His poo poo is all over the loving map and if anything, that's the unifying quality of his overall style. Hand him a video game and tell him to make a film out of it, and if the result doesn't look very `faithful' to the source material or whatever, that's not him phoning it in. If he turned something out that looked pretty much just like a cutscene from the game or whatever, that's what Miike phoning it in looks like.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The Yakuza with Robert Mitchum & Ken Takakura is a quite alright take on a yakuza film.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Oh my god Yakuza 3 might be one of the best games I've ever played and I'm not even done with it yet.

Why did I wait so long to play these games.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh my god Yakuza 3 might be one of the best games I've ever played and I'm not even done with it yet.

Why did I wait so long to play these games.

4 is even better and 5 is the best game in the series and one of the best games I've played in general

yakuza fuckin rules son

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If I wanted to get my hands on the special edition consoles, what would be the best way to do so?

Sometimes the PS3s show up on eBay but that's about it. I was kinda looking for a Vita. Was also considering buying another PS4 and I figured I might as well go for a fancy one of those.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

psychoJ posted:

4 is even better and 5 is the best game in the series and one of the best games I've played in general

yakuza fuckin rules son

Yeah, if you think 3 is that good just wait until you get to 4 and 5.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Tanimura really hates arms, doesn't he?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm finishing up 5 now but 3 is still my favorite of the lot.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Samurai Sanders posted:

This and Majima marching down the street beating people with a bat while singing with the BGM.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A lot of people didn't like 3 so much because it starts off pretty slow with the orphanage stuff but I find it the most relaxing of the Yakuza games. The others are pretty hectic and so much in the story happens that it feels weird to goof off and play pachinko or collect Miku figures in Club Sega or help random people out with their problems when the protagonists have major problems of their own to face.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pretty sure those people had 3 as thier First Yakuza game and really wanted that fresh next gen open world crime simulator

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

3 was my first and I loved it. It certainly starts slower then the others but it didn't bother me at all

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

On a sidenote, 3 is the only game I've managed to successfully beat Amon in. I'll never 100% the other games in the series because it wants you to do everything and then beat an optional boss(es) that mop the floor with you.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

On a sidenote, 3 is the only game I've managed to successfully beat Amon in. I'll never 100% the other games in the series because it wants you to do everything and then beat an optional boss(es) that mop the floor with you.

I've managed to beat amon in every game except 5. the fight in 5 is complete bullshit and i will never do it again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

God drat, every fight against Kanai is just god-loving-awful.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He was easy in the first game (Although I used a magical sword enchanted with lightning, so there's that), but I will never, ever beat that goddamn baseball minigame and earn Haruka's trust.

I am a horrible dad. :(

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A lot of people didn't like 3 so much because it starts off pretty slow with the orphanage stuff but I find it the most relaxing of the Yakuza games. The others are pretty hectic and so much in the story happens that it feels weird to goof off and play pachinko or collect Miku figures in Club Sega or help random people out with their problems when the protagonists have major problems of their own to face.

If people don't like dad sim then I don't want to know them.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I like dad sim. But then dad sim ends and very old men in suits talk about real estate deals in 45 minute chunks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I think the literally half an hour info dump set in a room with three people talking was what killed my enthusiasm for Yak 3, though to be fair that's fairly close to the end iirc

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I think the literally half an hour info dump set in a room with three people talking was what killed my enthusiasm for Yak 3, though to be fair that's fairly close to the end iirc

Yeah I did that part yesterday, it was made up for when you get to beat up a billion dudes immediately after though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I mean, Yak 1 is just as bad, if not maybe worse at giving you a huge info dump right at the end of the game. Like 80% of the plot happened when you were in the tower with Nishiki.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never got to that bit thanks to playing it on a BC PS3 and it crashing after a certain part right before then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I guess Yak2 is the only English release I haven't beaten, now. I should rectify that (and "peacock some mums"). At least it had better load times than Yak1, I suppose.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yak 2 has better everything than 1

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

All Yakuza games have better everything than 1, which is understandable -- it was the foundation of all that came later, but it was rather rough. Thankfully, they remade it in Kiwami. And maybe, maybe one day we will get that one too!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Apparently the one thing that makes Kazuma actually afraid is a crossdresser.

Stay classy, game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, it's not just any crossdresser. Michiro can sprint like the best Ethiopian athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Well, it's not just any crossdresser. Michiro can sprint like the best Ethiopian athletes.

This is true. He is very formidable.

• Locked thread