Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Contact the court (or prosecutor if there is one) and see what your options are. There may be plea/fine alternatives, payment plans, deferments, etc., that are better than just showing up and paying it. I can't say because I don't know how the courts work in your area but I've done municipal prosecution and there were always options if people just called and asked what they could do. You're not going to get it thrown out though, and you're almost certainly not going to win at trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone ever win at a speeding ticket trial?

Lasca
May 8, 2007

I have a bit of a situation with my landlord and the tenants that live above me. So they like to water their garden in a way that sprays down my door and stairs making them a slippy stone accident waiting to happen. I asked them not to and the reply was "Our plants need water, take it up with the landlord". So I sent the letter but have yet to get a reply more than 2 weeks later. Have I covered my rear end enough? I want to make sure that there's zero liability on my part and make sure if anyone get's hurt it's on their rear end. I'm in BC.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

blarzgh posted:

"I was speeding because..." Is a losing defense to speeding.

Not empty quoting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

NOT IN MY HOUSE

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

"I was speeding because..." Is a losing defense to speeding.

"I was speeding, and then increased my speed, but couldn't pay attention to how much faster," even more so.

Try for the $80.

Cowslips Warren posted:

blarzgh.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Oh right, true. I am batting 1.000, but only like 6 people have been dumb enough over the past year to try it.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Hi legal thread. I need help negotiating an immediate exit due to ongoing sexual harassment.

Here are a selection of comments from my boss. Direct quotes.

I am planning on quitting today with no notice, once I receive my offer letter (verbally accepted an offer last night). I am leaving my position due to documented ongoing harassment by my supervisor.

Ideally I would like to just leave and have a good reference from them in the future.

From a legal perspective, what if anything do I need to do?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

HookShot posted:

I like the part where he says he was in control of the vehicle then told us it was a ten year old Acura and not, say, a Soviet-era tank.

And also how his other previous speeding tickets were bullshit too.

Well he's white and he had his kids with him while speeding an indeterminate amount, that's relevant, right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Bitchkrieg posted:

I don't get it, do you think they're going to chain you to your desk, and not let you leave or something?

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

blarzgh posted:

I don't get it, do you think they're going to chain you to your desk, and not let you leave or something?

No, my concern is leaving (with no notice) and a good reference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bitchkrieg posted:

Hi legal thread. I need help negotiating an immediate exit due to ongoing sexual harassment.

I am planning on quitting today with no notice, once I receive my offer letter (verbally accepted an offer last night). I am leaving my position due to documented ongoing harassment by my supervisor.

Ideally I would like to just leave and have a good reference from them in the future.

you should look up your local federal department of labor people and explain the situation to them. They'll let you know the best way to legally proceed with your specific circumstances.

Lasca posted:

I have a bit of a situation with my landlord and the tenants that live above me. So they like to water their garden in a way that sprays down my door and stairs making them a slippy stone accident waiting to happen. I asked them not to and the reply was "Our plants need water, take it up with the landlord". So I sent the letter but have yet to get a reply more than 2 weeks later. Have I covered my rear end enough? I want to make sure that there's zero liability on my part and make sure if anyone get's hurt it's on their rear end. I'm in BC.

Do they have a patio? Is the garden outside of their apartment door? This is an odd situation, but I think actually phoning or discussing with your landlord in person might help you most to alleviate the situation. Perhaps there is some time of splash guard or something that could be put in place.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bitchkrieg posted:

Individual people are your reference, not the company itself. No one is obligated to be a reference for you, anyway.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bitchkrieg posted:

If you have another job lined up already why do you care about references?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Your boss sounds cool

dogfucker69 haha

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Points taken. Thanks thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bitchkrieg posted:

Points taken. Thanks thread.

But seriously hit up your local federal department of labor people about the harassment and hostile work environment.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Bitchkrieg posted:

Use a coworker. Why would you list your lovely boss as a reference? Even if they for some reason like you, they will be lovely and make you look bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

But seriously hit up your local federal department of labor people about the harassment and hostile work environment.

That would be the eeoc not the dol.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Thanks for the honest review! I appreciate the comments.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not counting those of us who have prosecuted them (because blarzgh stole my joke), yes, but not for the reasons you'd figure. Very, very rarely you'll get an officer no-show and be unable to reschedule; if an officer is on a call or otherwise unable to appear due to their duties the judge is usually not going to insist in a traffic/municipal court, but if they have no explanation or it's a personal thing or they just don't appear it'll get tossed.

In terms of actual trials, yes, some people have won them. The only one I can remember was a trucker (truckers are very serious about their driving records) who had an attorney and she was just better at voir dire than I was. One or two other traffic tickets have won, always with a jury, but those weren't speeding so there were more fact circumstances at play.

The one other example I can think of led to a complete shitstorm that required our streets department to redo speed studies after a case that was won by the defendant because it turned out the limit posted on a state-owned offramp was illegally established. Technically we weren't responsible for putting up that illegal limit, but we still closed that loophole as hard as possible with a speed limits ordinance. In theory if your state or locality has some requirement to back up speed limits with speed studies or something the absence of such evidence at trial could be grounds to have the case thrown out not on the fact you weren't speeding, but on the allegation that it's not been proved what the speed limit actually legally should have been.

In practice you're not winning that either because most of the time the default speed limits on unmarked streets and highways is lower than whatever sign was posted so your speed was still most likely unreasonable, but that's Texas and other states may have different ways of handling it. Basically this was something that was only going to happen once and I wouldn't even attempt to try this unless you have a lawyer who knows the traffic code that governs backward and forward to pull a stunt like this.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nakar posted:

Not counting those of us who have prosecuted them (because blarzgh stole my joke), yes, but not for the reasons you'd figure. Very, very rarely you'll get an officer no-show and be unable to reschedule; if an officer is on a call or otherwise unable to appear due to their duties the judge is usually not going to insist in a traffic/municipal court, but if they have no explanation or it's a personal thing or they just don't appear it'll get tossed.

My wife managed to make this work, but it took no less than 3 separate reschedules before the judge gave up. I saw someone else do it the last time I was in traffic court, but they already knew the officer in question had left the state and taken another job.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"To Whom it May Concern,

Bitchkrieg has a great set of

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I'm firmly convinced it's next to impossible to win if you fight a traffic ticket. Back when I was 19 or so, a cop blew a stop sign and nearly hit my car (no his emergency lights weren't on). He had the gall to write me a ticket for careless driving and the municipal court judge pretty much laughed at me when I explained the situation. Could be worse, my sister once got tagged for 26 in a 25 in an infamous speed trap town and the judge upheld the citation.

That said, how are dash cams and all the newfangled gps and other computer stuff in cars affecting trial outcomes? I have to imagine having direct proof has to help get tickets tossed out.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If anything, it helps cops. They have dashcams and they love using them for stuff like crossing out of a highway offramp lane too soon or running a stop sign.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do they have a patio? Is the garden outside of their apartment door? This is an odd situation, but I think actually phoning or discussing with your landlord in person might help you most to alleviate the situation. Perhaps there is some time of splash guard or something that could be put in place.

Talking is the best way to sort this out but the dude has become elusive. The tenants are also the landlord's ex-wife and son. His new wife owns the property, but they're selling and maybe don't want to bother anymore? (Ex and new wife hate each other).

I'm in a basement suite and my door is next to and sort of under their patio. They have a garden out behind it in the yard. 10 steps fairly steep are beside the patio and run up along it. They have 2 entrances. One through the front of the house and the sliding door on the patio in the backyard. My only entrance the backyard.

If they just set the sprinkler slightly lower or hold it straight, not angled at the door it would be fine. It's just kind of baffelling why they would be so weird about it.

"Hey can you stop spraying your hose right at my door, I'm trying to walk by"
"Talk to the landlord"

A splash guard would work. I'm just not getting anything back about it. I have it pretty documented that there's a fixable solution though. I just don't want myself or anyone to bail and get seriously hurt. Plus there's now mud wasps so if you go down you're getting stung too.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

spregalia posted:

That said, how are dash cams and all the newfangled gps and other computer stuff in cars affecting trial outcomes? I have to imagine having direct proof has to help get tickets tossed out.

Every time people ask to see the dash cam video they realize how hard they must have worked to convince themselves of their own story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

That would be the eeoc not the dol.

I had typed EEOC at first but was unsure. Then a quick google for right to sue letters all went to the DOL website so I hedged my bet and figured that the DOL could get them the right phone number at least.

Lasca posted:

Talking is the best way to sort this out but the dude has become elusive. The tenants are also the landlord's ex-wife and son. His new wife owns the property, but they're selling and maybe don't want to bother anymore? (Ex and new wife hate each other).

I'm in a basement suite and my door is next to and sort of under their patio. They have a garden out behind it in the yard. 10 steps fairly steep are beside the patio and run up along it. They have 2 entrances. One through the front of the house and the sliding door on the patio in the backyard. My only entrance the backyard.

If they just set the sprinkler slightly lower or hold it straight, not angled at the door it would be fine. It's just kind of baffelling why they would be so weird about it.

"Hey can you stop spraying your hose right at my door, I'm trying to walk by"
"Talk to the landlord"

A splash guard would work. I'm just not getting anything back about it. I have it pretty documented that there's a fixable solution though. I just don't want myself or anyone to bail and get seriously hurt. Plus there's now mud wasps so if you go down you're getting stung too.

:lol: so they're literally just like hosing down your door? I don't think your neighbors like you or she's using you as a tool to get back at her ex husband. Either way sucks to be you. Also move out of the basement.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had typed EEOC at first but was unsure. Then a quick google for right to sue letters all went to the DOL website so I hedged my bet and figured that the DOL could get them the right phone number at least.

:lol: so they're literally just like hosing down your door? I don't think your neighbors like you or she's using you as a tool to get back at her ex husband. Either way sucks to be you. Also move out of the basement.

Yeah lol. Like, a friend comes over and the kid's just spraying down the door. She's standing there, at the stairs trying to get his dead eyed attention and he is deliberately not looking. Finally he glances over and she asks him if she could get by. He huffs as he has to bend his wrist in a slightly different direction, then turns it back on the door before it closes. That's everyday.

I don't know what her end game is. Thanks to thin walls I know she's been bouncing checks and he's been covering. She's outraged that she'll be expected to pay rent on time, in full and the son is a jobless 20 something goon. So I can get why he's trying to duck out.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Bitchkrieg posted:

This is why it is never worth it to joke around or say anything personal at the office. Never. Also, never compliment anything except work that has been delivered.

Lasca posted:

Yeah lol. Like, a friend comes over and the kid's just spraying down the door. ...

Too bad that roundup you were spraying got on their garden.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nakar posted:

she was just better at voir dire than I was.

Off-topic, but how does a difference in voir dire skill play out?

Lasca
May 8, 2007

patentmagus posted:

Too bad that roundup you were spraying got on their garden.

Nahh gonna let that stuff grow. I think they're definitely going to lose some to deer and crows this year.

I guess I'll make a janky barrier. As to the direct spray-down, it's documented and their liabiliy I guess.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Off-topic, but how does a difference in voir dire skill play out?

I'll let OP respond for his case, but usually it's because one lawyer knows how to (a) argue his case to the venire during voir dire, (b) figure out which jurors are going to suck for his case and get them to eliminate themselves for cause, (c) strike the right people and not run out of strikes, and (d) gets the jury to like him and his client out the gate

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Bitchkrieg posted:

Wow, why did you put up with this poo poo for this long? I was expecting some inappropriate comments but... holy poo poo, I think my roughneck friend has a better work environment on the oil rig. What type of work do you do... looks like software development?

You don't want to use someone this insane as a reference no matter whether they were good or bad. For what it's worth, the vast majority of decent managers acknowledge that crazy bosses exist and for some reason are tolerated. It's highly, highly unlikely to hurt you in any way to just refer them to HR for this company, much less likely than letting them actually talk to this lunatic.

If you're willing to file a complaint or some sort of legal action against this dude you'd be setting a good example, it's doubtful that you're the only one being subject to this. Even if HR doesn't give a poo poo the company owners/upper management might. This isnt exactly some dude making an awkward compliment or something.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

Every time people ask to see the dash cam video they realize how hard they must have worked to convince themselves of their own story.

It's truly amazing. It's really fun when they double down and decide the video's been doctored, as if the county cares enough about a misdemeanor obstruction to finance a Rising Sun style fabrication.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'll let OP respond for his case, but usually it's because one lawyer knows how to (a) argue his case to the venire during voir dire, (b) figure out which jurors are going to suck for his case and get them to eliminate themselves for cause, (c) strike the right people and not run out of strikes, and (d) gets the jury to like him and his client out the gate
It was mostly (d). She knew the facts were against her client and went hard on the sympathy angle and I just couldn't get a read on which jurors were responding best to it and cut enough of them. She let the officer's testimony mostly slide and played every possible "But my client is such a nice guy" angle. The exact same arguments we made would've nailed the guy had I gotten a better read on the panel. I'm not gonna fault her for the plan, that's how you do it if you're going to do it at all and she made her money keeping truckers' records clean, but the facts were so good I was sure her advantage didn't matter. Just goes to show you how much it always matters.

Sometimes you have a cagey panel that's hard to get anything from or just a straight-up bad one where there's more people you want gone than you'll ever be able to strike. It still worked in my favor more often than it worked against me (it's a huge boost to your confidence when you know you've already won before arguments even start, and there were times I knew it for sure), but you expect the prosecutor to have the advantage.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 30, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joat mon posted:

a Rising Sun style fabrication.

Fantastic reference.

Thank you!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The worst panels are the ones where nobody reacts to anything you ask. No nodding, no yes or no, no answering. You have no idea what those people are going to do and no justification to challenge them. They are wild cards. Much better to get an engaged panel--people who have tells why they are good or bad. Usually you get one or two that you know are yours and you hope they are leaders, influencers. Because half the jury doesn't give a poo poo and will go with the flow.

But a lot of times it's a crapshoot. There is an art and skill to picking a jury, but at the end of the trial they all go in the back room and do whatever they want anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah the blank stares are the worst. Usually cracking some lame joke at the start lets you get a sense of how bad it's going to be. If nobody even chuckles, you're screwed.

The other thing I hate is when you have a panel with some pretty good folks on it who are unlikely to be the ones actually put on the jury unless a ton of people get struck, but you have no reason to strike the people ahead of them. Engaged, interested people who seem to be genuinely receptive to the case, but there's 20+ silent jerks ahead of them and you have no basis for a challenge or a reshuffle of the pool order and there aren't enough free strikes to seat them.