Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Macs break all the time, telling people to drop thousands on one so this "never happens again" is downright cruel.

I didn't say it wouldn't happen again, I meant that you wouldn't be the guy looking for dropped screws because some apple tech will do it instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Icept posted:

Hey guys, small M.2 / PCIe question here. I have an Asus ROG Ranger Z170 board, and I'm wondering if buying and plugging in an M.2 SSD will cause the graphics card to run at less than x16 lanes. I know the difference between that and x8 isn't that big but I'll just get a SATA SSD if it's the case. I've tried googling it but it's difficult to find a straight answer. The CPU is a 6700k if it matters.
Nope, the PCIe lanes to the M.2 slot are provided by the chipset, the graphics card is connected to the CPU.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I uninstalled BitDefender and have been trying to turn Windows Defender on. But it turns off after a couple of seconds. I keep trying and it keeps turning off.

E: changed some reg key and it's on now.

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 24, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mrs. Slidebite and I are getting a safety deposit box at the bank and I want to make another backup of important stuff (photos, documents) and stick in there as well. This will be in addition to the stuff I have at home on my HDD.

Is an SD card pretty safe for copying everything on an leaving it for potentially years? Should I maybe go to an SSD? I am presuming a mechanical HDD is not.

I know from a question earlier we were talking about tape and stuff but I am just looking for a reasonable bit of redundancy for not a crazy amount of $$. Probably about 500GB to 1TB in total.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I are getting a safety deposit box at the bank and I want to make another backup of important stuff (photos, documents) and stick in there as well. This will be in addition to the stuff I have at home on my HDD.

Is an SD card pretty safe for copying everything on an leaving it for potentially years? Should I maybe go to an SSD? I am presuming a mechanical HDD is not.

I know from a question earlier we were talking about tape and stuff but I am just looking for a reasonable bit of redundancy for not a crazy amount of $$. Probably about 500GB to 1TB in total.

An HDD would actually be better than an SD card or SSD, because the latter two need their flash memory refreshed every once in a while lest the data gets lost due to imperfections in flash memory.

If it wasn't so much data, I'd say look into M-DISC which is supposed to last for a thousand years.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

Nope, the PCIe lanes to the M.2 slot are provided by the chipset, the graphics card is connected to the CPU.

Sweet, thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, the M-Disc was mentioned earlier too. Maybe I'll by a few of those to try out. Thanks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

slidebite posted:

Yeah, the M-Disc was mentioned earlier too. Maybe I'll by a few of those to try out. Thanks.

Before you buy them, make sure your DVD/Blu-Ray burner can handle them! Most modern ones can, but you don't want to be stuck if yours doesn't.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the word on SATA Blu-ray players these days, and playing Blu-rays in Windows 10 generally?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What's the word on SATA Blu-ray players these days
Pretty sure the word is :lol: when discussing physical media in TYOOL 2016.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I bought DOOM on a physical DVD during the Prime Day sale and thought I'd install from the disc to save some download time. Turns out my Internet connection is faster (and quieter) than reading from a DVD.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What's the word on SATA Blu-ray players these days, and playing Blu-rays in Windows 10 generally?

They all work about the same, and the best way to play them is to have something like AnyDVD HD so that you can rip the nice high wuality video and audio to a file you can use in a normal media player.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Do I need to leave 20% of space free on an SSD? It's hard to tell from the Google results whether this is good advice or just an old wives' tale. The drive is used entirely for gaming, if the usage makes any difference.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SuperTeeJay posted:

Do I need to leave 20% of space free on an SSD? It's hard to tell from the Google results whether this is good advice or just an old wives' tale. The drive is used entirely for gaming, if the usage makes any difference.
Performance starts to drop off as the drive fills, how badly depends on how you use the drive and how full it is, and what drive. In the old days drives would basically throw their arms up and run around in circles screaming when over-filled. I think it helps today that on a bigger drive there is just more space to work with in absolute terms.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SuperTeeJay posted:

The amount of space left should be big enough to fit a copy of the largest file on the drive, is a good rule of thumb for modern SSD sizes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SuperTeeJay posted:

It's a good policy to leave at least 10% unpartitioned as a safety so that the drive can move files around to do wear leveling. 20% is on the aggressive side, especially for a drive that isn't seeing a lot of writes like a Steam disk.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

(Apologies for cross-posting) Odd question I know, but where can I download Windows 8.0? I own a license but need the installer or the .iso file.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Do i buy a new i3 with plans to upgrade in 2-3 years or do i buy a new i5 (both not-overclockable)? This is for a small gaming comp, video card comes later (2-4 months)?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Billmac posted:

Do i buy a new i3 with plans to upgrade in 2-3 years or do i buy a new i5 (both not-overclockable)? This is for a small gaming comp, video card comes later (2-4 months)?
You post in the Parts Picking Megathread with more information on what you want to do with the system and your budget.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Aye sorry, my quick question is should I go for the new I5 now or just stick to an I3 and upgrade later when it's cheaper. Looking to play Fallout 4 on medium for now, but I'm trying to think a few years down the line? Got a 970 for now...

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Billmac posted:

Aye sorry, my quick question is should I go for the new I5 now or just stick to an I3 and upgrade later when it's cheaper. Looking to play Fallout 4 on medium for now, but I'm trying to think a few years down the line? Got a 970 for now...
I'd recommend just getting the i5-6600 now. Intel's actual processing power has not been moving forward by leaps and bounds for the past few generations and I expect the trend to continue. I suspect you would not be getting what you should out of the 970 with an i3 either.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My HTPC has become an unexpected plex server for friends with Xbox ones and tablets and the CPU (AMD 5350) is barely up to the task of transcoding. It has one low-profile PCI-E slot and I'd also like a graphics card for couch PC gaming (though this isn't a huge deal because I can also use steam streaming from my beefier desktop). Do graphics cards play a role in transcoding or is there another special piece of hardware I can use?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

tuyop posted:

My HTPC has become an unexpected plex server for friends with Xbox ones and tablets and the CPU (AMD 5350) is barely up to the task of transcoding. It has one low-profile PCI-E slot and I'd also like a graphics card for couch PC gaming (though this isn't a huge deal because I can also use steam streaming from my beefier desktop). Do graphics cards play a role in transcoding or is there another special piece of hardware I can use?

At the moment, Plex doesn't utilize GPUs (or onboard iGPUs/quick sync) for transcoding streams. It's dependent entirely on your CPU. More info here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Billmac posted:

The point is that we have another thread for questions about what parts or computer you should buy, specifically so those questions don't clog up this thread.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

(Apologies for cross-posting) Odd question I know, but where can I download Windows 8.0? I own a license but need the installer or the .iso file.

Microsoft has made it nearly impossible to download 8.0 it seems. I would recommend moving to 8.1 anyways. You can download 8.1 and install with a generic key and then activate it with your 8.0 key.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

You can also ask in the windows thread, someone may have a working ISO link.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I did get a working 8.0 iso and got it installed. My ultimate goal is to move to 10 while it's still free, or failing that 8.1, but I have to get around the CompareExchange128 obstacle first.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Should I ask my question about a headset here, or is there an audio thread that I've almost certainly stupidly overlooked?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Badfinger posted:

Should I ask my question about a headset here, or is there an audio thread that I've almost certainly stupidly overlooked?
There's a few threads that might be a good fit in the Inspect Your Gadgets forum.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is it possible to switch the monitor ID number without having to swap ports on my videocard? I have 3 displays hooked up to my PC: My main monitor (DVI), secondary monitor (DP), and an HDTV (HDMI). In the nvidia CP, my main/DVI monitor is listed as Monitor 3; is there anyway to make it Monitor 1? Monitor 1 is my secondary monitor on DP.

Note: I can't put my DVI monitor on DP because my DP monitor only has DP and VGA connectors.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

teagone posted:

Is it possible to switch the monitor ID number without having to swap ports on my videocard? I have 3 displays hooked up to my PC: My main monitor (DVI), secondary monitor (DP), and an HDTV (HDMI). In the nvidia CP, my main/DVI monitor is listed as Monitor 3; is there anyway to make it Monitor 1? Monitor 1 is my secondary monitor on DP.

Note: I can't put my DVI monitor on DP because my DP monitor only has DP and VGA connectors.

I don't think you can change the numbering but it shouldn't matter because you can specify which is your primary display. I only have two monitors hooked up but my primary monitor is number 2 on the DVI port and secondary is 1 on the HDMI port. Is there any software that's misbehaving despite your selection of a primary monitor?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

In my experience it is arbitrary what number is assigned to each display, though they're usually pretty consistent. If one cable gets jiggled at the right time they'll be enumerated out of order and this can and will lead to renumbering. Sometimes this will cause windows to become lost on 'monitor 4' even though you have, and have only ever had three discrete video outputs on your machine. I see it a fair bit at the office.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've seen some (Unity) games insisting on launching on the left monitor, regardless of whether nor not the right one is selected as primary. Or they just decide to pick different numbers for monitors because they feel like it.

It may have also had to do with AMD's drivers, but I can't say I really did any testing with nVidia.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm trying to revive an old desktop for fun and shortly after getting Windows 10 installed, the screen went blank while downloading/applying updates. Also the computer wouldn't shut off when I held in the power button, I had to flip the switch on the PSU. Turning it on again I couldn't get any display going - the DVD drive would spin and respond, and if I connected an HDD I'd hear it spin up. I replaced the video card, no luck there, same with the CMOS battery. Do I need a new power supply?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R45V3SW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which has a plugin on the back that looks like this:

(Not the AC power plug). What type of plugin is this and can I buy a longer one so the external can sit somewhere more convneient for me or does it lose some kind of mythical data transfer speed for being longer than 12 inches?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Love Crime posted:

I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R45V3SW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which has a plugin on the back that looks like this:

(Not the AC power plug). What type of plugin is this and can I buy a longer one so the external can sit somewhere more convneient for me or does it lose some kind of mythical data transfer speed for being longer than 12 inches?

That's USB 3.0 Micro B.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH12R1O

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

Love Crime posted:

What type of plugin is this and can I buy a longer one so the external can sit somewhere more convneient for me or does it lose some kind of mythical data transfer speed for being longer than 12 inches?

That's USB 3.0 Micro-B. Here's a Type A-to-Micro-B 6-foot cable at Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030320&p_id=13754&seq=1&format=2

e;fb

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm trying to revive an old desktop for fun and shortly after getting Windows 10 installed, the screen went blank while downloading/applying updates. Also the computer wouldn't shut off when I held in the power button, I had to flip the switch on the PSU. Turning it on again I couldn't get any display going - the DVD drive would spin and respond, and if I connected an HDD I'd hear it spin up. I replaced the video card, no luck there, same with the CMOS battery. Do I need a new power supply?

Any thoughts?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

When was the last time that you'd successfully used the desktop before then? Incidentally, I wouldn't expect it to be a power supply issue if the DVD drive and hard drive will spin up, but it'd be really hard to say what bit just died.

Did the computer flash any lights or make any beeping sounds when you tried to start it? You should be able to look up error codes from that still - might need to hook up powered speakers into the onboard speaker jack to hear beep codes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't think the PSU can be ruled out entirely but a bad motherboard is the most likely suspect. If this is an old PC I'd look for some popped electrolytic caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I don't think you can change the numbering but it shouldn't matter because you can specify which is your primary display. I only have two monitors hooked up but my primary monitor is number 2 on the DVI port and secondary is 1 on the HDMI port. Is there any software that's misbehaving despite your selection of a primary monitor?

Steam in-home streaming. Whenever I have my HTPC try to stream from my gaming PC (which has the 3 displays connected to it), it ends up picking the DP monitor which I have in vertical orientation and it screws with the game resolution.