Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CoolCab posted:

Dikto is also mostly responsible for The Question (Mr A was actually more like an attempt to create a Question that didn't have to comply with the restrictive Comics Code Authority). Rorschach is actually sort of a parody of Question, or, Question with the objectivist philosophy taken to it's logical extreme; a homeless vigilante with serious mental issues who murders criminals. When asked about this, Ditko said that Rorschach was "like Mister A, except Rorschach is insane."

The Question actually became a more reasonable character after DC acquired him:

Cythereal posted:

Can't be, the Punisher's signature villains are all white.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Somfin posted:

I get that, but the idea of the mob demanding that the future of someone else's character be subject to their veto gives me loving chills.
I mean, it's not his character either

Anyway, people saw something they didn't like and said they didn't like it. Thus has it been since the dawn of time. The complaints didn't even do anything this time, so I'm not sure what the problem is?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fulchrum posted:

Mr. Fantastic. He's a tyrannical rear end in a top hat who treats his close friends like poo poo, even calling his most loyal friend a thing, constantly invades and fucks around in a sovereign countries business, refuses to share any of his advantages or advancements with the world, and thinks his wife shouldn't be allowed to talk. And after all that the fucker had the gall to name himself Mr. Fantastic.

That was my thought but I didn't know enough comic books to really say for sure. Everything I got from Mr. Fantastic was that he was a stretchy John Galt who would use his fantastic inventions to keep the world he lives on from blowing up if only because he lives there but wouldn't use them to help starving people.

That and Ted Cruz looks like what happens if you put a stretchy, plastic rubber man in the microwave for a couple minutes, so you know there's overlap between his supporters and a literal rubber man. :v:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Somfin posted:

Why the gently caress did people get so angry about that poo poo?

Like, I'm Captiain Social Justice McBiggerGovernment among my friends, but, gently caress, y'know, how the hell do these people think creativity works? They're the same people who complain about the "lamestream" and celebrate indie spaces but the instant an institution is changed in a potentially non-SJ direction they go full thought police on it before they even read it.

Seeing that reaction made me absolutely furious.

You're being a bit melodramatic here, and kind of unfair. I think most people realized it was a gimmick and would be undone. But Captain America was a symbol of anti-fascism created by Jews during WWII. It's not that people didn't understand it was a gimmick, it's that they knew right away it was a gimmick. They were using an obvious cheap trick to gin up attention, but they did it with a character whose identity was personally important to a lot of people. Also, "thought police?" Come on, that's just silly. And was it really an example of "creativity" to say "hey, what if the good guy turned bad!"

http://panels.net/2016/05/26/on-steve-rogers-1-antisemitism-and-publicity-stunts/

Edit: On the other hand, in this way it is kind of funny. When racist readers demanded the white Cap come back:

Nick Spencer posted:

If you’re liking what we’re doing in Captain America: Sam Wilson, with a more topical, of-the-moment take, we’ve got a lot more of that coming your way; but if you’re looking for that classic, timeless version, the one that’s steeped in the Greatest Generation with Cap fighting the face of true evil, now we’ve got that for you as well. … The country is as divided as it’s ever been, and Steve is one of a kind; he’s a unifying figure, someone we can all look up to, [and] someone we can all put our faith in.

He's trolling the poo poo out of them by basically saying "you want Cap to be Donald Trump, right? Okay, here's your Nazi Cap."

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/204647/nazi-captain-america

Alhazred posted:

The Question actually became a more reasonable character after DC acquired him:

What is the context of this? I mean, I get the out-of-universe joke, but in-universe, who is Rorschach? Is Watchmen a comic book in the DC universe?

On the one hand, those are some pretty racist drawings, but on the other hand, that last line is pretty funny to me.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 31, 2016

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Cythereal posted:

Can't be, the Punisher's signature villains are all white.

You're forgetting Barracuda. The villain whose entire description can be summed up as 'big scary black man'. Whose backstory is that he's a military badass who got his start as a bad dude by running a drug trafficking ring of his own during the Contra affair, so even though he's a military guy it's only so they can go 'oh, he's a drug dealer and always has been'.

He has gold teeth that say "gently caress" on top and "YOU" on bottom. He's awful. Of course, he's one of the few guys who actually comes back for some admittedly great fights against Punisher time and again- because, being a big scary black person, such things as a knife or numerous gunshot wounds don't stop him in the least.

Fun fact: he was once hired to kill Eminem by a group called the Parents Music Council. Which is exactly the type of group you think it is.

Comics are dumb y'all

Speaking of, what's the general consensus on full-length politicomics?

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 31, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MechaCrash posted:

Nobody told whoever was writing this that thanks to a series of movies, Captain America (and related dudes) has kind of moved outside of the insular audience familiar with this kind of thing, and without that background knowledge to provide that vital context, the entire thing just looks absolutely loving awful.

I was working a Con when it dropped, and kept getting asked by lifetime nerds "What do you think about them making Captain America a Nazi!?"

That phrasing, every time. Like they fully expected it to be part of the character from now on. And whenever I said "It's probably a wizard curse or time cube or some poo poo" they would go "I dunno, maaan..." People who had been consuming genre media, including comics, for decades. It was surreal.

CoolCab posted:

Rorschach is actually sort of a parody of Question, or, Question with the objectivist philosophy taken to it's logical extreme; a homeless vigilante with serious mental issues who murders criminals. When asked about this, Ditko said that Rorschach was "like Mister A, except Rorschach is insane."

Rorschach was originally supposed to be the Question when Watchmen was going to be about those characters, then DC decided to incorporate them into the main universe so they had to become (somewhat) different characters, etc... watchmenbackstory.txt

Epic High Five posted:

The best super hero for conservatives would probably be Iron Man, or Thanos

Wikipedia posted:

In 1963, Lee had been toying with the idea of a businessman superhero.[5] He wanted to create the "quintessential capitalist", a character that would go against the spirit of the times and Marvel's readership.[6] Lee said,

"I think I gave myself a dare. It was the height of the Cold War. The readers, the young readers, if there was one thing they hated, it was war, it was the military....So I got a hero who represented that to the hundredth degree. He was a weapons manufacturer, he was providing weapons for the Army, he was rich, he was an industrialist....I thought it would be fun to take the kind of character that nobody would like, none of our readers would like, and shove him down their throats and make them like him....And he became very popular.[7]"

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 31, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KaosMachina posted:

You're forgetting Barracuda. The villain whose entire description can be summed up as 'big scary black man'. Whose backstory is that he's a military badass who got his start as a bad dude by running a drug trafficking ring of his own during the Contra affair, so even though he's a military guy it's only so they can go 'oh, he's a drug dealer and always has been'.

True, but Punisher's classical villains are the mob - mainly the Italians and Irish. If he has an archenemy, it's Jigsaw - another white dude. Ditto other villains like Bushwhacker and the Russian. Frank kills black people, sure, but his best-known enemies are white.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009

Jurgan posted:

What is the context of this? I mean, I get the out-of-universe joke, but in-universe, who is Rorschach? Is Watchmen a comic book in the DC universe?

Yeah, Watchmen was a comic in DC at the time. The Question is a Zen Buddhist in DC and they had an issue where he read Watchmen as a joke. He decided he would try to be more like Rorschach to be tougher on crime before he got his rear end kicked.

Also, Punisher has always been the conservative hero. Just check out this article from an 80's Punisher trade when Punisher first became popular:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have no idea who that is in the last panel, but I get a "Jo-Jo's bizarre adventure" vibe.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

quote:

“So I have to tell you this. This is why our country doesn’t work,” Trump said from the stage at his Friday rally, which began nearly an hour late as a result of the mishap. “We have plenty of space here. We have thousands of people outside trying to get in. And we have a fire marshal that said, ‘Oh we can’t allow more people.’

Uhhh

Is this for real or some kind of joke article? Is Trump explicitly an elaborate performance artist? I don't understand.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nihilarian posted:

I mean, it's not his character either

Anyway, people saw something they didn't like and said they didn't like it. Thus has it been since the dawn of time. The complaints didn't even do anything this time, so I'm not sure what the problem is?

~*My first amendment right to freedom from criticism*~.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jurgan posted:

Yes, Question read Watchmen and decided to try Rorschach's crime fighting style. It resulted in him immediately getting beat up, captured, and nearly killed before he was rescued by one of his friends.

This was the '80s run of The Question, the first one after Ditka which radically altered the character's philosophy. Originally, Watchmen was going to have The Question and Captain Atom and some other characters that DC had just acquired by purchasing Charlton Comics, but they decided not to let Moore use them for a one-off series. So at first Question was proto Rorschach, then he was actually Rorschach, then he pretended to be Rorschach and almost died.

Comics are fun.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Epic High Five posted:

Is it time for another round of conservatives dance around the fact that Captain America is a tree hugging anti-nationalism anti-flag worship hippie who went rogue because of not-Nixon's scandals and preaches tolerance and that the strength of America is in its diversity?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Kajeesus posted:

Uhhh

Is this for real or some kind of joke article? Is Trump explicitly an elaborate performance artist? I don't understand.

I also need to know if Trump is literally too dumb to realise that every single public place in the Western world has a maximum amount of allowed people at the time, as dictated by the local fire departments.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

To be fair, it was in Colorado Springs and I'm surprised that that city is still willing to pay taxes to fund a fire department

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Clinton or Trump? The choice facing America - Chris Riddell on the US presidential candidates"

Sunday Telegraph:

Plastic bag use plummets in England since 5p charge; Corbyn: Labour MPs planning split should think again

Sunday Times:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Given that the most memorable moment of the convention was a Muslim couple talking about how their son died and how Trump unfairly treats all Muslims as unamerican, this is really bad.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

BigglesSWE posted:

I also need to know if Trump is literally too dumb to realise that every single public place in the Western world has a maximum amount of allowed people at the time, as dictated by the local fire departments.

Here it is in the Denver Post, so it does appear to be true.

Maybe Trump knows about fire codes, or maybe he doesn't. The point is that Trump perceived something he wanted, and someone told him he couldn't have it. As far as he's concerned this is the only thing that matters. He truly, literally has the emotional maturity of a two-year-old.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Clinton or Trump? The choice facing America - Chris Riddell on the US presidential candidates"

goddamnit Riddell how can a guy so good at everything else still be so bad at labels

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I'm going to skip the 'You're not Calvin and Hobbes' to say look at that loving white void. Christ.

EDIT: I did a quick cut to see and about 66% of that is is just white void.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 31, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Why do I have the feeling Tinlsey uses the same detergent his mother used? Who the gently caress has colors bleeding in their laundry these days?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

TheBigAristotle posted:

Why do I have the feeling Tinlsey uses the same detergent his mother used? Who the gently caress has colors bleeding in their laundry these days?

Also wouldn't the commie bastard be perfectly happy with that outcome, the pinko scum?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigAristotle posted:

Look at Mr. Fancypants too good for cheap towels from China.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

IDGI, they talked about Trump a lot. :confused:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I guess they don't know what they ought to be writing about the convention.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Color bleeding happened to me once.I left a pen inside a pocket

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Just keep telling yourself it's whiny "progressives" that are complaining about everything and calling for bans.

Also it's a pet peeve of mine when cartoonists use nothing but thought balloons for characters that actually can speak.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Why would she put her initial price way over to the left side of the box??

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

World Famous W posted:

I'm going to skip the 'You're not Calvin and Hobbes' to say look at that loving white void. Christ.

EDIT: I did a quick cut to see and about 66% of that is is just white void.

Also when C&H did this the joke was that Calvin's opinions are not something anyone would want, much less pay for, if I'm remembering the strip right. That is, the joke was on his sense of self-importance and not "why won't people agree with me".

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

The best hero for conservatives is Lobo, except taken in complete seriousness.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Judge Dredd, obviously, he's tough on crime and he won the Cold War through widespread use of ICBM's.

Though he later started championing the rights of mutants and fought against segregation and anti-immigrant policies so I guess they wouldn't like him either.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Hey Allie, here's how you do the "cute kid is selling something they shouldn't be with an overturned box" bit.

Granted, this approach will require you to "tell jokes" instead of the "having my PoC Republican character mourn the death of the discourse" thing you're doing, but I think you'll find you get much better results with the former!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mallard Filmore is just this constant cycle of "Ugh, never mind, go back to the previous bit this new one is even worse."

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Palate cleansers:

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 31, 2016

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
Literally the business plan of Trump University

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheBigAristotle posted:

Bright reds still bleed like crazy.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bright reds still bleed like crazy.
Like Trotsky?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Oh no, is this guy after the one piece too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

KillerJunglist posted:

Just keep telling yourself it's whiny "progressives" that are complaining about everything and calling for bans.

Also it's a pet peeve of mine when cartoonists use nothing but thought balloons for characters that actually can speak.
I rarely talk aloud to myself unless I'm super pissed or something.

• Locked thread