Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The OWC editions are a bit more academic yeah, but with the quality of translations it's probably a cointoss, and Penguin is often cheaper and easier to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

The OWC editions are a bit more academic yeah, but with the quality of translations it's probably a cointoss, and Penguin is often cheaper and easier to find.

true

zombie michael crichton is finally publishing a new novel about dinosaurs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Stuff like this makes me feel like we'll be getting Stephen King books decades after he's dead, especially with where Joe's career is going.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hype levels are low, but I made a thread for the new Harry Potter book that comes out tomorrow in case people want to discuss it!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784894

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
Have any of you read ''The brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao''? I'm 50 pages in and I'm just gnashing my teeth at this awful nerd-prose. Are the critics wrong*? Does it get way better? Am I a loving idiot? Please, I need to know.

*The guardian said this was the best novel of the 21st century and tonnes of other critics think it's hot poo poo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm not sure if the proper plot starts yet 50 pages, but it's certainly about a nerd and his nerdy interests. I didn't think it was that bad, but you're certainly reading bad critics if they're calling it the best novel of the 21st century.

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I'm not sure if the proper plot starts yet 50 pages, but it's certainly about a nerd and his nerdy interests.
I've read on a bit and it does seem to get a bit better. I mean, I'm an awful nerd and I got all of those obscure references he made, so I'm not hating on it for being nerdy as such. It's just that, in turning every metaphor and simile into a forced geeky reference, he went way beyond even the most clueless nerds I ever knew. I was expecting a good modern writer and instead got some poo poo that would make Ernest Cline blush.

Ras Het posted:

you're certainly reading bad critics if they're calling it the best novel of the 21st century.
I looked it up and though it was on the guardian, it was actually a BBC poll of ''several dozen US critics''. It's the first search result I got when I looked up this book when I found it at the thrift store. The rest of the list seems pretty respectable. Most of what I've read of it I've liked.

1. Junot Díaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (2007)
2. Edward P Jones, The Known World (2003)
3. Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall (2009)
4. Marilynne Robinson, Gilead (2004)
5. Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections (2001)
6. Michael Chabon, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (2000)
7. Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad (2010)
8. Ben Fountain, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (2012)
9. Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001)
10. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Half of a Yellow Sun (2006)
11. Zadie Smith, White Teeth (2000)
12. Jeffrey Eugenides, Middlesex (2002)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Oh, English language literature. It's a small pond.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
and 2000 wasn't even 21st century yet, what a terrible list :rolleyes:

but yeah, i wouldn't trust any list about "best books of xxx" if it contains only stuff written in English. Oscar Wao is decent tho.

edit: huh, it turns out it wasn't meant to be English language only:

14. WG Sebald, Austerlitz
15. Elena Ferrante, My Brilliant Friend
19. Roberto Bolaño, 2666

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 31, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's probably been a lot of better books than that even in english, like that De La Pava book for example.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Atonement isn't even the best McEwan book and I say that as someone who thinks there are McEwan books that are complete garbage, looking at you Solar, you piece of worthless paper, you.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

UnquietDream posted:

there are McEwan books that are complete garbage

UnquietDream posted:

McEwan books [...] are complete garbage

agreed

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Middlesex and every novel Franzen ever wrote are also crap. That list is crap. Gilead is cool, though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
gilead rules, kavalier and clay rules, white teeth is good, franzen is Bad, i haven't read wao

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Middlesex was pretty good, but I don't think I would call it one of the best novels of the century (which is a really dumb concept when we're only 16 years in)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a great author.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to see a "best moving pictures of the 20th century" list made in 1916.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I want to see a "best moving pictures of the 20th century" list made in 1916.

We didn't invent writing in 1990, though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I found Middlesex to be an extraordinary work of art. I couldn't stop reading it and it truly moved me.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Amsterdam wasn't bad, two old vicious men who, through comedic ineptitude, arrange the murder of the other but fail to prevent their own murder.

Edit; Come to think of it, all of McEwans books that I like are the ones where at no point are you supposed to feel empathy or sympathy for the horrible protagonists*. Doubly so if those protagonists are wonderful neurosurgeons who can stop an armed burglary though the power of poetry. gently caress Saturday, terrible godawful Mary Sue style shite.

*Notable exception for The Cement Garden.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 1, 2016

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and really, really liked it. It does have a lot of Spanish though. I remember thinking that if I weren't fluent in Spanish, I wouldn't be enjoying it as much.

There is an awesome resource that I discovered, after reading the book.

http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/

It has explanations of all of the references that get used, including all the Spanish terms.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

UnquietDream posted:

Amsterdam wasn't bad, two old vicious men who, through comedic ineptitude, arrange the murder of the other but fail to prevent their own murder.

Edit; Come to think of it, all of McEwans books that I like are the ones where at no point are you supposed to feel empathy or sympathy for the horrible protagonists*. Doubly so if those protagonists are wonderful neurosurgeons who can stop an armed burglary though the power of poetry. gently caress Saturday, terrible godawful Mary Sue style shite.

*Notable exception for The Cement Garden.

Yah, Saturday was the first McEwan I read and it really put me off him. I've read Atonement since and can't say I enjoyed it very much either, tbh, so I think I'm done with him

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

comfort of strangers was okay until it went all ~~2edgy4u~~ at the end

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what book did you pick for BOTM hieronymous?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

Babyfucker by Urs Alleman

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ulvir posted:

Poll for BOTM:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3785106

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Babyfucker by Urs Alleman

This is much cooler than whatever those poll choices are

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's good and i want to see people's reactions to it, especially the people that complain when books don't seem to have a message or whatever

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, what should I be looking for if I'm looking for "airplane fiction"? That's one of the Booklord Challenge objectives this year, but I really have no idea what to even look for. I know the basic idea, I think -- they're trashy books you pick up in an airport bookstore so you have something to read during the flight -- but since I always bring my own books, I don't know what authors or genres or whatever I should be seeking out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

So, what should I be looking for if I'm looking for "airplane fiction"? That's one of the Booklord Challenge objectives this year, but I really have no idea what to even look for. I know the basic idea, I think -- they're trashy books you pick up in an airport bookstore so you have something to read during the flight -- but since I always bring my own books, I don't know what authors or genres or whatever I should be seeking out.

No, you misunderstood.

You have to drive to the nearest airport and buy a fiction book from their bookstore. Bonus points if it's actually about airplanes.

You're really supposed to read it on an airplane, but if a ticket's too expensive, you can just sit in the passenger seat of one that's sitting in the hangar waiting for maintenance. Slip the head mechanic a fiver, show him the book and they'll let you right in.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ToxicFrog posted:

Airport/Airplane (when not literally dealing with flying) fiction means genre fiction that can be easily picked up and read, and counted on to engage quickly, making it a convenient diversion while waiting for and riding on planes.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen the opening paragraph of Babyfucker and that looks distubring, but I'll give it a read at some point I guess

also re: airplane fiction

wikipedia posted:

Writers whose books have been described as airport novels include:

Jeffrey Archer[5]
Peter Benchley[6]
Dan Brown[7]
Tom Clancy[8]
Clive Cussler[9]
John Grisham[10]
Arthur Hailey[2]
Robert Ludlum[11]
Jodi Picoult[12]
Gérard de Villiers[13]

this is beneath me

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Just read The Brethren by Grisham

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

the partner is better imo

e: ive only read like 3 grisham books so ymmv

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 1, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ovid brings up Aurora, the goddess of dawn, and comes this close to mentioning "rosy-fingered dawn". Tease.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

You can interpret it however you like so just read a cool book that happens to feature an airplane

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A human heart posted:

You can interpret it however you like so just read a cool book that happens to feature an airplane

That is a solid suggestion, but

blue squares posted:

my dad was a huge John Grisham fan, so I'm going to read one of those in his memory.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the Brethren is probably a bad choice, I just read it several times between ages 16 and 21 so I remember it fondly. I'd go with one of his courtroom books over that one

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ulvir posted:

this is beneath me

I was going to read Carpenter's Gothic again, a book expressly written to connect with the man in the airport

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
My personal favorite of Grisham is The Rainmaker, but The Client and A Time to Kill are good, and probably his most popular. The Firm and The Runaway Jury were fun reads. Growing up, I don't think there were any that I really didn't like, except for The Chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Hey guys, quick question, my girlfriend is trying to order the Discworld series and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best place to order them new. She's been able to find them separately on different websites but wasn't sure if there was one place she could get all of them for cheaper. Cheers :)

Edit: never mind, found them! Thanks anyways!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 4, 2016