Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

CannedMacabre posted:

But what if you hate Chaka Kahn? She is every woman. Than you HATE EVERY WOMAN by hating ONE WOMAN. :colbert:

Perfect for high-efficiency MRAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Herbie

quote:

This troper had, for twelve years of schooling, always felt he perfectly fit the archetype of shy and nervous social outcast. I can honestly say I only had one real friend upon my graduation from high school...and even that was mildly shaky at that moment, due to the fact that he was in an extremely destructive relationship at the time that was turning him into a real jerkass. Occasionally during college, these feelings would lapse back and I'd sit in my room and cry silently. These feelings were finally brushed away, however, when I, in my sophomore year, attended a party that was screening the production of Gypsy in which I had played Herbie the previous year. Cuddling among old cast members and new friends I had made, I was struck dumb when, as I in the recording walked onstage in my first appearance, the entire room burst into applause and cheers, as if I was a big-name star that had just walked onstage in a Broadway show. When I was telling my best friend about the event later, it suddenly hit me: after twelve or thirteen very long, difficult years, people finally, truly care about me. I have never felt warmer than I did when I hugged my best friend upon that realization. To top things off, the subsequent boost in self-confidence was probably what pushed me to A) return to my job, B) apply myself academically, and C) successfully ask a girl out. Things have been going pretty well since that realization.

Plushie

quote:

Probably not as epic as the examples above, but....this troper's most recent friend apparently has been going through a hard time—he's had about three failed relationships (The third one being a total moocher and cuts herself.) Said third girlfriend really treated him like crap and wouldn't even get him a birthday gift, let alone just wish him a happy birthday. This troper's friend was pretty depressed for a while, and was quite shocked at how kindly this troper and her friends treated him—complimenting his cooking (indeed, he is an awesome cook), buying him a meal at the local noodle house...The biggest moments came when this troper presented him with a Squall Leonhart plushie (He's a Squall fan, so I scoured the net to order the plushie for him), as his birthday gift from me. This gesture caused his face to just light up with joy and he hugged the doll tightly and repeated sayings of "Thank You...Thank You..." I reassured him that he was one of the most interesting people I've met so far, and that he deserves a better relationship (sure enough he's since broken up with the bitchy girlfriend and is in a new, happier relationship with a girl named Samantha). Flash forward a few months, when we were headed to the Bruce Campbell movie and Q&A, I explained to him a familiar concept—"It's ok, 'cause you have us. We are Nakama."

Meeting

quote:

This troper had a somewhat possibly similar experience. He was not popular, he had no real friends, and on top of all that, he'd been essentially run out of high school in his junior year because of the fear that spread through rumors that he had a hit list and he was going to perpetrate "another Columbine". Less than a week after he'd left, his parents got a call from a senior from the school saying that several students were holding a meeting at a local church to protest my treatment by both students and faculty alike, and we were invited to attend. He didn't expect much, but what happened was that about 100 students, most of them classmates (and several people he didn't even know, but went to the same school), turned out to show their support and ask if I would return to school (I chose not to, and got my GED later the next year). Several people who'd even made fun of him before — some who'd done so for years — approached him after the meeting ended and apologized for all the things they'd said or done to me, with one girl breaking down in tears as she apologized. While (thanks to a number of factors) he is now cynical about this almost a decade later, this troper was moved that people who didn't even know him would come out to defend and support him in unquestionably the darkest period of his life.

Batman

quote:

This is probably going to sound like the nerdiest Crowning Moment of Heartwarming but it must be said. This Troper's best friend was the biggest batman fan around, complete with a staggering Batman comic book collection. I wasn't into Batman before I met her, but I certainly was afterwards. She got me absolutely addicted to Batman, especially the Joker, and as you may have guessed..... she was overjoyed to find out that Joker would be in the next Batman movie. Months passed, and with each bit of news about the movie, from the casting of Heath Ledger, to the first trailer, our enthusiasm grew. Whenever I doubted the movie, she'd always assure me that it would rock. She knew that it would rock. We waited eagerly for the movie, for the time when we'd be standing in line at the midnight showing. Sadly, she passed away after struggling with cancer for two years, months before the movie came out. It was hard for me to go to the movies by myself, for she was my only, real friend and no one else (well, except for my parents) would go with me. I sit there, in the theater...... and the movie proceeds to rock. People cheer, I cheer, The Dark Knight goes on to achieve financial and critical success, Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is praised..... and every time I hear the Dark Knight breaking some kind of new record.... and whenever I watch the movie..... I know that my friend is smiling.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

This is easily one of the more tolerable (and believable) troper tales. Just someone getting a confidence boost after seeing people liked his performance in a play.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
First story on the page at Not Always Right just now:

quote:

(It’s a very busy day, as it’s the end of Ramadan. Lots of Muslim customers are here, and as expected, they find quiet corners to do their prayers in. I’m walking inside and see a customer berating one of the men.)

Customer: “Keep your [slur] religion at home! This is a good Christian establishment they have kindly let you in!”

Me: “Sir, please stop!”

Customer: “You! Kick this d*** n***** out!”

Me: “I’m asking YOU to leave. This man has done nothing to you.”

Customer: “He’s f**** rubbing his terrorist religion in my face! He’s probably gonna blow this place up! Him and his [slur] family!”

Me: “I’m asking you one more time to leave, before I call security.”

Customer: “Yeah, call them! Kick this [slur] out and arrest him!”

(I call security. The Muslim man tries walking away, but the other customer grabs his arm and pulls him back.)

Customer: “NO, YOU DON’T! You’re gonna go detonate your f**** bomb or something! Your a** stays here where I can keep people safe!”

Me: “Sir, please do not touch him! He has done nothing to you or anyone else!”

Customer: “HE’S GONNA KILL YOU!”

(At this point, lots of people are staring and backing away. The Muslim man looks frightened, but doesn’t move. Security pushes through the crowd.)

Customer: “Thank f***** God you’re here! This [slur] was gonna blow the whole place up!”

Security: “You’re gonna have to come with me.”

Customer: “What?! Why?! He’s the one that’s gonna blow us up!”

(Security drags the screaming customer away. I turn to the other man.)

Me: “I’m very, very sorry about that! Are you all right?”

Muslim Customer: “Yes, I’m fine, thank you. And thank you for standing up for me.”

(The Muslim man had his tickets given to him for free. The customer who had attacked him was banned for life.)

Not saying that lovely discrimination doesn't happen, because it definitely does. This story just perfectly, neatly hits on all the STDH notes, it's only missing the "and then all the other customers applauded!" at the end.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

DorkusMalorkus posted:

First story on the page at Not Always Right just now:

Not saying that lovely discrimination doesn't happen, because it definitely does. This story just perfectly, neatly hits on all the STDH notes, it's only missing the "and then all the other customers applauded!" at the end.

I'm just glad those poor meek Muslims can count on our heroic cashier to carry the White Man's Burden.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That Muslim wasاينشتين، البرت،

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
And that customer's name was Osama Bin Laden.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

MizPiz posted:

This is easily one of the more tolerable (and believable) troper tales. Just someone getting a confidence boost after seeing people liked his performance in a play.

But a Troper asking an actual girl out? That's prime STDH.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I was ready to yell "you can't catch a Vaporeon, you have to evolve it" and then it was a fakepost. :(

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

I like how the muslim guy in that story is a passive, mute NPC that does not interact with anything around him besides "looking frightened" and thanking our hero for saving him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tickets -- airport or movie theater? Airport? I probably wouldn't shout back too hard in an airport, honestly :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RNG posted:

I was ready to yell "you can't catch a Vaporeon, you have to evolve it" and then it was a fakepost. :(

They are possible to catch, but rare
:goonsay:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Khazar-khum posted:

But a Troper asking an actual girl out? That's prime STDH.

TBF, I said it was more believable than most, not that it was.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder what anime(s) that's from.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

And that song was.. Bohemian Rhapsody

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

puck puck goose posted:

And that song was.. Bohemian Rhapsody

The version from Shrek?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Shrek - Bohemian Rhapsody (feat. Albert Einstein)

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
Shrek - Bohemian Rhapsody (feat. Albert Einstein) [Live - Extended Audience Applause Version]

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I like that the post initially read like it had just happened but at the very end there's a surprise twist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Roenicke posted:

Shrek - Bohemian Rhapsody (feat. Albert Einstein) [Live - Extended Audience Applause Version]

Sung in fluent Bohemian.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sung in fluent Bohemian.

by a baby Muslim veteran refusing to use food stamps. pokemon

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

sweeperbravo posted:

by a baby Muslim veteran refusing to use food stamps. pokemon

And that baby Muslim's name was Adolf Einstein. We're getting married next week.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

wow, a single run-on sentence and not a single punctuation mark in sight

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Would you any expect less from "buttertitsaretasty?" the e.e.e cummings of our time?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also what point is it trying to make? Music connects people and this is generally agreed to be a fact, and has been generally agreed to be a fact for pretty much the entire history of humanity as a species. Like I'm sure in the dawn of pre-humanity there was another ape saying "this """music""" invention sucks and I hate it <:mad:>" (Plato loving hated the spreading use of writing after all) but it's 2016 and I'm pretty sure we generally agree that music cements social bonds and makes it easier to learn language (and pretty much everything else).

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Man

quote:

This Troper has a friend. Let's just say she... gets around. I'm one of her only permanent friends. Anyways, we were all joking about some stuff, and a very obnoxious, mean girl overheard us as my friend said "Don't worry, instrument reeds don't cost that much" and the mean girl snobbishly breathed "I know what else doesn't cost much...". At that moment, I walked away from our discussion, grabbed the snob by the shoulder, turned her around, and punched her in the face. She proceeded to drop down like a brick. I said "I want you to apologize, right now," and lifted her up and directed her towards my friend. She apologized, then ran off crying. My friend then said, "Wow... thanks, *insert name here*, why'd you do it?" I replied with a happily said "I don't like it when people use their popularity to justify insulting my friends". I should also mention I'm on of the most popular students in the school... and I'm also a man. I don't like it at all when people hide behind reasons such as gender, race, or religion.

quote:

This guy recently went through a depression. He thought he couldn't get the girls for a while. He also thought he was an idiot. This one internet friend of mine who is like a crazy genius had me take an iq test. This event was right before a dance when I woke up that morning with a pimple in the worst possible place and was feeling especially down.I knew I would probably do really bad at it and I got a 95, below average. Then, when I told him it, instead of him teasing me and stuff about it, he was like, 'really? Good job!' I was puzzled as to why he said that and then I asked him 'why?'. He replied 'Dude, I can't believe you have a 95 iq, your beating life on hard mode.'I was extremely puzzled at that response and then he said 'your way wiser than most of the above averages I know.' That put a smile on my face for a long time and gave me a _huge_ self-confidence boost. At that dance I met the girl of my dreams, we didn't even dance, just talked, for like 3 hours. The 'beating life on hard mode' has become my mantra since then.

Disney

quote:

When This Troper was at a Boy Scout camp, note not Cub Scouts which is made of elementary school kids but Boy Scouts which are usually no younger than 12, a staff member put on a CD containing various Disney songs during lunch. At first the image-obsessed teenagers and preteens scoffed and growled at the mix. But then, someone started singing along to "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," and eventually nearly every boy (around 250) sang along. It's not quite as of a tearjerker as many of the other post, but it's still one of This Troper's warmest and fuzziest memories.

Expelled

quote:

The new theatre teacher at my high school, who had been abusing her power over the department since the start of school, expelled a student from the Thespian Honors Society because she had raised objection over how the teacher was managing the club (the teacher wasn't even supposed to be involved with running the club to begin with), ignoring the organization�s constitution that states no member can have their membership revoked. On the night of One Acts the program's list of Thespian Honors members was missing her name for the first time in three years. After the show she didn't understand why people kept giving her their program. It wasn't until she got home and looked at them that she realized they'd all written in her name at the bottom of the list. Two weeks later the director of student activities ordered the teacher to write a letter of apology to the girl, "reinstate" her into thespians, and post a copy of it on the call board. When her fellow thespians saw it there was much celebration and someone moved it so it was posted over the spot where the sign informing everyone I'd been expelled had once hung.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Man

quote:

"I don't like it when people use their popularity to justify insulting my friends"

"Unless I'm the one doing it on Troper Tales, that is! Also, punching teenaged girls for comments similar to ones I myself make is my Crowning Moment of Pencil Breaking or something!"

So did Troper Tales require third person for some reason? And if so, was the rule just to use it for the very first sentence and feel free to switch from first to third interchangeable otherwise?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was a rule that you shouldn't use first person so naturally they just referred to themselves as 'this troper' instead of 'I' because :spergin:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Apparently everybody in the world but me is a goddamn genius at memorising random song lyrics

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

It was a rule that you shouldn't use first person so naturally they just referred to themselves as 'this troper' instead of 'I' because :spergin:

They dropped that after a while, but people still kept doing the "This troper" thing. Or worse, starting with "This troper" and then switching into first-person after the first sentence.

Somehow I find the growling the funniest part of this, like the kids are so obsessed with seeming cool that they literally bare their teeth and growl at Disney.

quote:

Expelled

This might be the absolute stupidest one of the bunch. "This teacher who wasn't supposed to run the club told a girl that she was kicked out, which nobody was allowed to do anyway. We did not respond to this simply by laughing at her and ignoring it."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't even say off hand which Disney movie that song's from.

At least use a popular one for your lie. Nobody's buying that 250 people know that song.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

At least use a popular one for your lie. Nobody's buying that 250 people know that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25QyCxVkXwQ

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's the most popular Disney movie, at least until Frozen came along. Though "Hakuna Matata" would be more plausible.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'm failry sure that the reason for that rule to begin with was to keep the "real life examples" sections of trope pages relatively clear of exactly this kind of dumb crap. Now, one might argue there shouldn't be a "real life examples" section on a site dedicated to tropes in fiction, but I can see its value and interest in a trivia sort of way rather than a "I cannot tell the difference between real life and my animes" type of way. Bit by bit though as people became familiar with the "This Troper" loophole, it became a breeding ground for spinning these yarns because, well, if you aren't cool in real life, make up a story about how you were cool in a fictional-type way, right? Over time the "real life examples" became so bloated that IIRC they might have been banned or split off to a different site, at least for the heavily abused tropes such as Crowning Moment of Awesome and similar things.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Honestly I am always impressed that people who write these stories are able to understand what a trope is. Low expectations, I guess...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ibntumart posted:

"Unless I'm the one doing it on Troper Tales, that is! Also, punching teenaged girls for comments similar to ones I myself make is my Crowning Moment of Pencil Breaking or something!"

Let's just say she... gets around :smuggo:

Snobby girl should have punched him right back.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
I too support intergender violence.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Inter gender MMA, now there's a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012