Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

edgeman83 posted:

I fairly easily killed it using the Seregios switch axe(Aksa Switch) and aerial style. What I did was keep the SA sheathed most of the time. This gave me the mobility to get close enough to get a jump in right after one of his side hops. I then did the R+X+A button combo to draw into sword mode on the way down. That usually put me in a position where I could either hack at its back legs with the A-A combo or jump again to get in the mounts. When toppled I smashed its face until it was about to get up, then I would use the Energy Charge hunter art to recharge my switch axe gauge while it was standing. Rinse and repeat after that. The online version took a little over 10 minutes solo, discounting the time spent running around finding the thing.

Yeah, that's uh.. that's less time than it took me offline. I'll try out this strategy next time, thanks :unsmith:

I also just fought Brachydios for the first time.. had a hell of a time with him too because I went Adept Hammer and uh... didn't expect that level of mobility. "Chaaaaarge! -oh wait now he's in the other end of the room". He feels like he might be one of the monsters that are extremely satisfying to fight when you git gud, though? Everything seemed pretty telegraphed/dodgeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010
Brach is really fun to fight, I had a Brachydios 140 guild quest which I used to solo back in MH4U, but it took a lot of practise, and I'd easily cart once if not twice per hunt. It's just getting used to his mobility that's tough, like Narga jumps around but it still feels like you have reaction time - but when Brach does the super fast back step into floor explosion laser, you better be ready (especially when it does two in a row when enraged).

(I don't think it's in this game but Raging Brach is even more fun, CONSTANT EXPLOSIONS!)

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

speaking of palico armors, can i get handsome scraps fro meownster hunters? i need to dress up my palico as a magical girl

You should get a poo poo ton from meowsters. My top row is usually at least half handsome scraps.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Handsome scraps are the most common meownster hunter reward I've got.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Meowster Hunter is very worthwhile. It's the easiest way to get dash extract and pale extract. My buddies are always annoyed because I take an extra minute between quests, but a good HR haul can be worth 10000z or bring in 8-12 extracts. It's also not very difficult to get what you want.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One of my favorite strategies when playing adept is to trigger a dodge off of a different hunter's attacks while the monster is down. Makes it really easy to get red spirit gauge on LS.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Now that I'm back from my trip, I've started up a Google Doc for the Monster Hunter Lore Compendium that some people were talking about earlier. Currently I have it set up with a discussion segment for talking about layout and how to organize this whole thing, which I've filled with some starter questions regarding basic formatting, so that we're not clogging up this thread too much. Right now anyone with the link can edit it, too, so that anyone in this thread who would like to contribute won't have to wait for edit permissions. This will change further down the line because I don't really want random schmucks filling it with things we don't want in there, but while the link is currently limited to this thread, I don't think it's a big deal.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KOZ5_vSuxu1G4E-dFaN7npOAySSfzJ3RdCb-KeoOg-c/edit

Once we have an idea of what kind of layout we want, I can start setting that up in the Compendium section so that we have an easy framework to start out with. Feel free to toss in thoughts, even if you're not interested in being an actual writer/compiler! It'll help to get a few different perspectives starting out.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Is critical draw basically wasted on adept style GS?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Meowster Hunter is very worthwhile. It's the easiest way to get dash extract and pale extract. My buddies are always annoyed because I take an extra minute between quests, but a good HR haul can be worth 10000z or bring in 8-12 extracts. It's also not very difficult to get what you want.
If you got buddies then just dupe the mega dash juice and stop wasting their time :P

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nechronic posted:

Is critical draw basically wasted on adept style GS?

Eh, not totally. I still find myself sheathing to chase down the more mobile monsters. But also it's like trivially easy to approach 50% Affinity on your way into High Rank if you make the Nargacuga's "Hidden Blade" LS.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that's uh.. that's less time than it took me offline.

To be fair, SA (particularly aerial) puts out a ludicrous amount of damage in this installment. Soloing online stuff is usually gonna take a good long while.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Rascyc posted:

If you got buddies then just dupe the mega dash juice and stop wasting their time :P

Do what now?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can pass out low rarity items in the game. Item stocks aren't updated until you save the game. So join game hand out whatever you want to dupe (pots, mats etc) and then close game on whoever handed out the stuff so they don't save.

One of the starter packs has a mess of dash juice so I think people just dupe that now.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that's uh.. that's less time than it took me offline. I'll try out this strategy next time, thanks :unsmith:

Bow is REALLY good against Gore as well. It's really easy to get shots in on his head. And you're mobile and far away enough that you can avoid all his attack no problem. Adept just makes that even easier. Seriously, you can break his feelers and knock him out of rage/frenzy mode in like a minute.

Just use a bow with rapid 3 in its third charge state. The Blango Fur Bow is what I'm using in low rank as it can use Power Coating Lv2 when you upgrade the bow to level 3. Just need two Tigrex claws for that third level.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ojetor posted:

If it's one of those times the monster charged straight across the room chasing someone, it's out of critical distance and the shot isn't worth taking. In this case sheathe and run to reposition or take the breather to potion up or craft some extra coatings or whatever. Resist the urge to take those super long range shots, they're completely worthless.

If it's the monster just turning around while you're within critical distance, you still shouldn't shoot. Charge and circle around the monster waiting for your opportunity. For most monsters the difference between a head shot and a tail/wing/torso shot is anywhere from twice to three times the damage. So it's definitely worth waiting an extra couple of seconds to make your shots count.

That said, it's not the end of the world if every shot isn't perfect. It's worth checking the hit tables here. Sometimes there's a secondary weak spot that's good enough. Take your example, Shaggy. A head shot does 60% and is definitely the best possible zone to shoot. Most other zones are in the 20s range, but the back legs take 45. While not as good the head, hitting for 45% is still a reasonable shot.

I've generally not worried about hit zones when playing blade, just going for whatever's available and won't bounce, so I've never messed around with them. How expansive are the hit zones, as a rule? Taking Shaggy again, where does his head end and neck begin? Is it generally pretty logical?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
I'm a little confused about the Barrage Earring: Do you need to complete every arena quest with every weapon, or every arena quest with any weapon (so one completion of each)?

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

RossCo posted:

I'm a little confused about the Barrage Earring: Do you need to complete every arena quest with every weapon, or every arena quest with any weapon (so one completion of each)?

It's just one completion with any weapon.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Just use a bow with rapid 3 in its third charge state.

Does it matter what charge level the bow's rapid skill is at? Seregios Bow only has two charge levels, but those are Rapid 2 and 3. You really only need to charge to the first blip which takes half a second and you can zip out Rapid 3 shots. M

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Bummey posted:

Does it matter what charge level the bow's rapid skill is at? Seregios Bow only has two charge levels, but those are Rapid 2 and 3. You really only need to charge to the first blip which takes half a second and you can zip out Rapid 3 shots. M

The second charge level does 100% raw and 85% elemental damage. The third charge level does 150% raw and 100% elemental damage. 4th does 170% raw and 112.5% elemental damage. So yes, the third charge level matters a lot.

edit: i looked at an old chart

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 2, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Wasn't 4th charge level 170% raw in 4U? Did they change that?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BipolarAurora posted:

Just wanted to add, the player should also have skills like Focus in handy for less charge time :eng101:

volvidon set is great for this iirc early game

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah, you always want to be charging to level three. Big boost in damage. Which is why if a bow only has two levels of charge, like the Seregios Bow, it's heavily recommended that you use the load up skill. Will increase your damage output a lot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ojetor posted:

Yes, the bow does shot damage which has it's own separate hit data.

You should be hitting weak spots constantly, otherwise you're wasting valuable Power Coating charges on sub par shots. Stamina efficiency is also a concern if you're not downing Juice. However that doesn't mean you should be manually aiming every time. For the vast majority of monsters the weakest spot is the head, you can usually hit that without manual aim by positioning yourself correctly, like any other weapon does.

For some monsters with high heads, like Zinogre, or when fighting in uneven terrain you might need to manually adjust your aim to hit their heads. In those cases you should first line up the shot horizontally to the head, then quickly enter aim mode and nudge your shot upwards or downwards as necessary. The entire aiming process should take like half a second at most.

At no point outside exceptional circumstances should you be standing and aiming for more than one second or so.

I find manually aiming the bow to be quite difficult actually. :( It really knocks you out of your flow when you have to switch into it and fiddle with the circle pad until it's lined up. Aiming and positioning in general is by far the hardest part of Monster Hunter, actually.

So far I've just been spamming Power Coating and hitting things on their sides or legs. Probably not very effective. I suppose I need to hit their weak points to be particularly effective, then?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

As a rule with Bow do I want to be manually aiming for weak spots all the time or just shooting more or less as fast as possible?

Also, it's shot damage I'd want to reference on e.g. Kiranico, right, not impact or cut?

Im sure someone's answered, by aside from going for breaks where you obviously have to hti that spot specifically, you should be going for weak spots, you want to leverage all the multiplied damage on vulnerable parts of the monster
Shot zones are its own damage type, so while its usually the head (and its hard to go wrong with the head failing all else), you should check a chart anyways
try to get a feel to doing most of your aiming without having to use the aim mode, which is possible on more monsters than you might think, personally i like to only have to make a small adjustment once its aiming time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, while I started with type 2 aiming, I switched to type1. Type 2 seems to make sense at first, using the c-stick to aim like it's a right stick in a modern game, but using R to shoot doesn't really gel with the rest of the controls. Like, you still have to hit x to get your bow out, and it sort of conflicts with the general design of the controls where you use the attack button to get your weapon out. It ended up feeling awkward.

So now I just tap up or down on the DP if I really need to aim up or down.

I'm still garbage, mind you, I just thought I would contribute another newbie bow players experience.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I find manually aiming the bow to be quite difficult actually. :( It really knocks you out of your flow when you have to switch into it and fiddle with the circle pad until it's lined up. Aiming and positioning in general is by far the hardest part of Monster Hunter, actually.

So far I've just been spamming Power Coating and hitting things on their sides or legs. Probably not very effective. I suppose I need to hit their weak points to be particularly effective, then?

don't use the circle pad to aim, it's garbage

use the d pad for fine movement with aiming, x or r to shoot, I use r but that's just because I use hammer and holding r is what you do for 1000 hours with hammer anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

I've generally not worried about hit zones when playing blade, just going for whatever's available and won't bounce, so I've never messed around with them. How expansive are the hit zones, as a rule? Taking Shaggy again, where does his head end and neck begin? Is it generally pretty logical?
FWIW you're basically already playing the zones correctly if you are paying attention to bounces, especially at green sharpness. It's not a terrifically complicated system.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
After massive camera frustrations in 4U I tore of my 3ds' nipple and replaced it with a psp pad for this. A+ would recommend.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I've had so much trouble with the New 3DS XL nub, there's actually a small gash in it from where I dig my thumbnail into it to actually move it around.

I should probably do the mod too, some time, but I've heard mixed results in the topic.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

I've had so much trouble with the New 3DS XL nub, there's actually a small gash in it from where I dig my thumbnail into it to actually move it around.

I should probably do the mod too, some time, but I've heard mixed results in the topic.

I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

So after not liking it at all in the demo, I decided to give the Gunlance another shot. It was my baby in 4U, and nothing else really feels as comfortable. Kinda like putting on an old pair of shoes.

I still don't like the heat meter. I think it's a huge pain and the weapon did not need to be nerfed. But....I still really like GL despite it. Blast Dash is the greatest loving thing. I ramped off a sand dune the other night, bashed Seregios out of the air, and got a mount off of it. Then I tried it again, missed, and zoned myself. It was great.

Anyway, I've mostly been using Striker style since I always used Long types, but i feel like branching out to Normal. How well does Adept work for GL? I would try aerial but it feels completely braindead and my buddies would hate me for exploding them constantly.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gunlance is really fun when the monster is near you, but it feels so immobile. What do GL users do when the monster charges off? Wait for it to return or sheath and run over to it?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Rainuwastaken posted:

Anyway, I've mostly been using Striker style since I always used Long types, but i feel like branching out to Normal. How well does Adept work for GL? I would try aerial but it feels completely braindead and my buddies would hate me for exploding them constantly.

Adept is...I dunno, it doesn't really do it for me. It works alright, but the main point of the perfect guard is to do a reload mid-combat before attacking, and you can't do anything else (that I can tell) after the guard. Always gotta reload.

Aerial, though, is very very fun. If you've enjoyed the blast dash, Aerial helps out your mobility just enough with the hop-roll that you feel less like a turret when unsheathed, and you get free one-shot reloads with your jump attacks followed by firing all your shells. Definitely good to use with Long and Normal, not so much with Wide.

dromer posted:

What do GL users do when the monster charges off? Wait for it to return or sheath and run over to it?

Pretty much. Unless you have blast dash ready or Aerial to help out, you're gonna have to learn to sheath.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dromer posted:

Gunlance is really fun when the monster is near you, but it feels so immobile. What do GL users do when the monster charges off? Wait for it to return or sheath and run over to it?

same except every blademaster weapon

gunner life

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Yo I love this game and it's super fun but fuuuuuuuuuuuuck Plesioth

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Electric Lady posted:

Yes, that is exactly what happened to mine. It's like, the rubber is too soft (or maybe my goony hands get too sweaty) or something?

No complaints about the psp cap so far though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I keep wanting to do the New3DSXL nub mod but I'm not sure you can actually buy the PSP joypad or whatever anywhere? And I don't have one laying around to cannibalize

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Leonheart posted:

This game was my first time meeting that rear end in a top hat. Those hipcheck hitboxes are loving unbelievably absurd, and I'm told they used to be even worse

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Yes, that is exactly what happened to mine. It's like, the rubber is too soft (or maybe my goony hands get too sweaty) or something?

It works fine for me for like 5 minutes, then my thumb starts slipping. Sweaty goon hands unite :smith::hf::smith:

I have an old PSP laying around that I could salvage, but my N3DSXL is a limited edition fancy version and I'd hate to potentially ruin it (AFAIK no one has done any long-term testing of the mod).

Mr. Leonheart posted:

A good summary of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I keep wanting to do the New3DSXL nub mod but I'm not sure you can actually buy the PSP joypad or whatever anywhere? And I don't have one laying around to cannibalize

Ebay. You can get a psp1000 joystick cap for like $1 with free shipping from china. It'll take 2 to 4 weeks to get to you, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Joy-...GsAAOSwr81UMBbz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Black-...1QAAOSw37tWCJwR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Black-...nEAAOSwFNZWzq7G

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2016

• Locked thread