Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Arian_Samurai posted:

Most grow up after graduating high school and eventually develop a personality. Others just complain on the internet.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

notZaar posted:

I think basically every description of a frustrated loser posted itt is dead on me.

You're in luck I posted a step by step guide to stopping

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sintax posted:

I think some really early-in-life rejections or cruelties build a pattern of distrust in a brain, then certain people already disposed to recieve negative social feedback just continue to get it through their teens. A lot of people don't know what to change about themselves because the same social structure that failed them early in life leads them to having perhaps only a small group of friends to give useful feedback. Overwhelming frustration is the end-point in plenty of these cases, and it's not entirely unjustified given that society's tendency to talk-around things is deceptive to someone with autistic thought patterns.

Anyway, just white-knuckling through rejection doesn't help people like this because the rejections are not a learning experience as they might be to someone with a more thoughtful and cautious approach to the opposite sex. In my opinion the "nice guy/shithead" duality is the real crux of the issue where most of these nice guys might be best to follow the "be yourself" trope instead, because I think they are more shithead than nice guy and they should probably just embrace that as much as possible.

Yeah, this is why I try to be very friendly and patient with everyone who isn't manipulative. Generally speaking I end up liking people as long as they're honest and not malicious. A lot of people are really gun-shy because of experiences in their teens and early 20s. I wasn't popular as a teen, but I cleaned up my act and do fine now. But I acknowledge how stressful it can be, there are certain circumstances that can make me so anxious I'll faint. (Basically any situation where I feel I'm up against a preceding bad reputation, but need to change their minds :v:.) I was only able to learn how to be friendly because other people were patient with me.

PallasAthene posted:

It was the other way around, at least in my experience. A lot of them had sort of become bitter assholes, but the most heartbreaking ones were the friendly, likeable old guys who had never had time for a family for whatever reasons and they outlived their siblings and ended up completely alone.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

Yeah, this is why I try to be very friendly and patient with everyone who isn't manipulative. Generally speaking I end up liking people as long as they're honest and not malicious. A lot of people are really gun-shy because of experiences in their teens and early 20s. I wasn't popular as a teen, but I cleaned up my act and do fine now. But I acknowledge how stressful it can be, there are certain circumstances that can make me so anxious I'll faint. (Basically any situation where I feel I'm up against a preceding bad reputation, but need to change their minds :v:.) I was only able to learn how to be friendly because other people were patient with me.
yeah but I feel like with a lot of these guys there could be a thousand people who are nice (:kheldragar:) and patient with them but they'll only remember the one who wasn't.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

You're in luck I posted a step by step guide to stopping

Thanks for the offer.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Golluk posted:

The second step is not telling them how to hang on right. Most just wrap themselves around you. Of course you're stuck as the little spoon, and god help your wrists if you have to brake suddenly.

What are you talking about? Braking is the fun part.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

darkhand posted:

I'm not sure it's really lack of confidence because a lot of these guys have no problem waking around with really cringey stuff in public. Seems more fear of rejection. They don't ask a girl out they just do "nice" things. They don't try to initiate anything flirty because they see it as douchey. And they hate "douchebags" that ask girls out.

Confidence isn't falling over yourself to do favors for other people then getting butthurt and pouty when they don't reciprocate.

The don't initiate anything flirty because they are terrified of rejection, and the being mad at douchey dudes thing is the lie they tell themselves to justify it. They don't really care about the woman so why would they care if someone was being a douche to her? Hell they become a douche to her the moment she doesn't go their way. They're just mad someone else is getting what they want and being sour grapes about it ('she's just a dumb ho anyway').

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

theres no way to get girls to like you, it's impossible

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah but I feel like with a lot of these guys there could be a thousand people who are nice (:kheldragar:) and patient with them but they'll only remember the one who wasn't.

Severe nice-guy-ism is just depression or another mental disorder, which are usually underdiagnosed in men for a variety of cultural reasons. That's all.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Carmant posted:

Agreed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

true human connection in any form is a lie. doesn't exist. you can't pick up or touch or feel or eat friendship, or love. it's not a thing. bam

naem
May 29, 2011

Carmant posted:

-be handsome
-be attractive
-don't be unattractive

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

-be handsome
-be attractive
-don't be unattractive

That didn't work

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

notZaar posted:

That didn't work

Post pics. People who dont think theyre ugly are usually the ugliest of all

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My self esteem can't take the vicious trolling of gbs posters.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
lack of self-esteem is very unattractive, have you tried not being unattractive

Just Be Yourself, unless you're naturally really cringey and ugly

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

darkhand posted:

lack of self-esteem is very unattractive, have you tried not being unattractive

Just Be Yourself, unless you're naturally really cringey and ugly

Unfortunately his lack of self esteem comes from the bullying he received for being hideously ugly, so there's nothing he can do about it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i feel bad for women who have to put up with this type of guys i pestered a girl in high school for like a year and a half and she finally agreed to go out with me and neither of us were happy the entire relationship so I learned to wait for ladies to show am interest first and it's worked out well I had some sex in my early 20s and I've been with my girlfriend for 4 and a half years now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Confidence doesn't go the whole way, I think the most important thing is to develop yourself as a person and be passionate about things

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
If you're ugly, get rich.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The easy thing about confidence is that you don't need to have it, you just have to pretend to have it. And that's pretty easy really; just think you're the king poo poo and no one else's dumbass opinion really matters. Be cool and aloof. Don't be a braggart, that also indicates you give a poo poo about the opinions of others.

Just channel the GBS nihilism thread as hard as you can, it really does work. No one knows how you feel on the inside so you can be just as squirmy and unsure as ever. Just act a role. Eventually it will come natural.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

The easy thing about confidence is that you don't need to have it, you just have to pretend to have it. And that's pretty easy really; just think you're the king poo poo and no one else's dumbass opinion really matters. Be cool and aloof. Don't be a braggart, that also indicates you give a poo poo about the opinions of others.

Just channel the GBS nihilism thread as hard as you can, it really does work. No one knows how you feel on the inside so you can be just as squirmy and unsure as ever. Just act a role. Eventually it will come natural.

People aren't stupid, if they see that you have nothing to be confident about they aren't going to let you get away with being confident. Just look at GBS fat people threads where the goal is to beat down what little confidence overweight people have been able to drum up.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

People aren't stupid, if they see that you have nothing to be confident about they aren't going to let you get away with being confident. Just look at GBS fat people threads where the goal is to beat down what little confidence overweight people have been able to drum up.

lol you fat oval office

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, it's much easier to get dates if you stop watching anime

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Pretending to have confidence is just having confidence.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

People aren't stupid,

people are stupid as gently caress and what's more they want to believe lies if the lie appeals to their sense of the way things 'should be' (which is hella easy to exploit)

People pick up on social cues and body language well, but that doesn't make them smart. And that poo poo is easy too; look people in the eye, speak clearly and with purpose (say what you're gonna say in your head first and slow your speech so it isn't riddled with uhms and ahs), keep your physical actions deliberate and almost slow (stop jittering around with that drink in your hand, stop fidgeting!). You want to channel a lion just chilling on his rock and being lazy. It's not nervously glancing around, it's not nervously tapping it's foot, it's just chilling there and gently caress you.

Carmant posted:

if they see that you have nothing to be confident about they aren't going to let you get away with being confident.

if you're being aloof and uncaring then why are they getting details from you that they can slam you on? If you're obviously a fat sack then yeah but even a fatty dressed well with a good attitude can be cool.

besides real life is not GBS. people aren't going to be at the bar waiting to pounce on the slightest mis-step

notZaar posted:

Pretending to have confidence is just having confidence.

Effectively sure but you gotta baby step it for people because it's one thing to say 'just be confident drat' and another to explain to them that they can just act and pretend and get better and better at filling the role and let them realize on their own one day that they aren't just filling a role anymore.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 2, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
A man who focuses on he own self and lets no woman get him down cause this man has bigger loving fish to fry than no one single attractive lady, he a attractive man. Sometimes you just gotta let them go for them to come back

*spends every waking hour getting pussy whipped and yelled at by wife*

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

besides real life is not GBS. people aren't going to be at the bar waiting to pounce on the slightest mis-step

Yeah it's usually not strangers, normally its your friends who do that. But unless you're going out to bars or meeting new people completely alone you cant avoid that. It's best to just know your place and act out your role..

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

It was me. I was the GBS in real life.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Yeah it's usually not strangers, normally its your friends who do that. But unless you're going out to bars or meeting new people completely alone you cant avoid that. It's best to just know your place and act out your role..

well yeah I guess. I feel like a good friend would see that you're trying to improve your sadbrain situation though and support you even if they had to go along with some fibs... but I'm not even saying lie to people about what you do or anything, I'm just saying stop caring about their opinion. Tell them with a grin on your face that you're a professional poo poo shoveler and this is your 1 day a month off that you decided to spend at the bars rather than jerking to anime and I promise the average person's reaction is gonna be to laugh not to cringe and move away. The point is to go out and just do you not worry about whether or not some stranger is gonna like you. gently caress them anyway.

Incidentally that's a really great lying technique; tell the truth about a flaw or something bad but just couch it in humor and people won't take you serious. Like hell I could tell people I love crossdressing and sucking down fat dicks but as long as I do it with a half grin they'll just laugh and assume I'm joking even if I'm not.

Alternately if you have sad sack friends dragging you down it might be time to recognize that and cut some cord idk.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 2, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

good advice, elliot rodger was funny as hell and he really did have a shot in the end.

naem
May 29, 2011

Like, you don't need to be an olympic athlete to get a little exercise. A light regular workout goes a long way.

The other day I went for a jog after not going for a week due to crunch time at work, was super stiff, and tripped over my feet and biffed face first into decorative mulch and slid down a drainage slope.

It was hilarious. I had dirt in my mouth, my arm was bleeding, it was great. Some dude helped me up, I was laughing dirt out of my face, a bunch of girls were like "are you ok??"

Like, I didn't go home and write an angry diatribe about the evils of garden mulch or "you think you're bettre than me chad because I MEANT to fall in the ditch" and never ever jog again

The same goes for socializing?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Not quite Nice Guy, not quite /r/relationships, but this has to be seen

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Nobody's going to ostracize you for falling down. But people definitely will tell their friends that you're some weird definition of "creep" that they just made up if you're not good at socializing.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Sentient Data posted:

Not quite Nice Guy, not quite /r/relationships, but this has to be seen

online dating is hard, especially if you're ugly or a minority

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

darkhand posted:

Nobody's going to ostracize you for falling down. But people definitely will tell their friends that you're some weird definition of "creep" that they just made up if you're not good at socializing.

source ur quotes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what you guys aren't getting is that maybe that's a literal copy paste from The Secret and she gets that 10x a day

darkhand posted:

refer back to rule 1: who gives a poo poo

and no, they won't. Not if you're just awkward and bad at socializing. People call you creepy when you don't understand obvious social cues like a girl trying desperately to end a conversation while you continue bulling through it because she's too polite to just say 'gently caress off already.'

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

only ugly dudes get tagged as creep

naem
May 29, 2011

darkhand posted:

I mean they'll laugh at you for waddling along fattly when you first start jogging but that goes away when you get less fat as you keep at it, eventually you can get all the way un-fat. Also weezing and sweating are fun and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

what you guys aren't getting is that maybe that's a literal copy paste from The Secret and she gets that 10x a day

refer back to rule 1: who gives a poo poo

and no, they won't. Not if you're just awkward and bad at socializing. People call you creepy when you don't understand obvious social cues like a girl trying desperately to end a conversation while you continue bulling through it because she's too polite to just say 'gently caress off already.'

That's what I'm saying. Failing down gives you a source for your problem that you fix, you hit some gravel and slid. People bad at socializing don't even know they're being a creep or even what it means, they have no course for correction.

Which to be fair is probably incredibly rare situation and sad. The really heinous nice guys are people who should know better, they have resources to have learned but didn't because their narcissism

• Locked thread