Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lots of new posts this morning, I wonder what's--

Oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man why does everybody just love to hate on poor little ol me ;_;

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that I don't see the value in endlessly ranting about something, especially when my entire angle on that thing is asinine and clearly motivated by fanboyism of a lovely character. But please feel free to continue judging me as a person for disagreeing with one thing you said in your gigantic idiotic rant.

"Oh no! He thinks one of the universally agreed 3 best Batman comics is good! What a piece of poo poo!"

I guess if I'd posted 600 words about something as blatantly obvious as "The Killing Joke is an extremely well thought-out masterpiece that defined Batman and Joker's relationship for decades" you'd be totally cool with it, and not be throwing a dumb tantrum about its mistreatment of one of DC's most boring characters. Clearly the problem is with my conciseness and not your stupid childish grudge with a well-respected author.

You dumb motherfucker.

nope cant possibly see a reason

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Your support is appreciated.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Lurdiak posted:

Your support is appreciated.

Wow that sure is an av you got tho

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TokenTrevor posted:

Wow that sure is an av you got tho

Tell me again how nobody has it out for me.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Clearly that is just proof you shouldn't keep changing it back I suppose. Or hope that whoever is trolling you runs out of money?
Very sad I can't see the redtext that went with each of those

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This is great. I wonder who your nemesis is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

This is great. I wonder who your nemesis is.

I'm pretty sure I know.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I also mentioned that in an earlier post.

:jerkbag:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo everyone just calm it the hell down. If you want to discuss the animated movie Killing Joke and how you feel about it as an animated movie carry on. If you want to talk exclusively about the book itself and how you feel about it then please resist all temptation to hit the reply button. If you want to talk about how the film works as an adaption of the book go ahead. If you want to talk about how you always loved or hated the book then move on.

Also maybe just show a little bit of courtesy to people instead of acting like whiny assholes? Just a thought.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Mods, please hand out some loving bans or probations because this revolting behavior should not go unpunished. Even YouTube feels more comfortable than this thread. I paid $10 to get an account on this forum because I was promised a community that was more civil than that of 4chan and YouTube but this thread is just the worst. You know that Reddit site that SA loves to piss on? It's a far more civil and enlightening place to be on, because its communal voting system is far more efficient than moderators at filtering out offensive and useless posts.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-action-characters/

I missed this a while ago. 152 different characters in Justice League Action, and it'll be set up with two 11 minute episodes at a time. The show is definitely looking better the more I hear about it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
James Woods playing Lex Luthor, Brent Spiner as the Riddler and Michael Dorn as Atrocitus. Whee!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-action-characters/

I missed this a while ago. 152 different characters in Justice League Action, and it'll be set up with two 11 minute episodes at a time. The show is definitely looking better the more I hear about it.

quote:

We definitely can go a lot of places with Space Cabby. Patton Oswalt is playing Space Cabby so that’s great.”

Yes. Yes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Halloween episode sounds cute as heck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kurzon posted:

Mods, please hand out some loving bans or probations because this revolting behavior should not go unpunished. Even YouTube feels more comfortable than this thread. I paid $10 to get an account on this forum because I was promised a community that was more civil than that of 4chan and YouTube but this thread is just the worst.

Agreed unironically

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
When I read The Killing Joke, I didn't care much about Batgirl. I didn't hate, I was just indifferent, and this in part hampers my efforts to empathize with Batgirl fans. My reaction was "well, yeah, this poo poo happens." The Joker kills people all the time. This time it was Barabara's turn. Using a character that was liked by readers was a good way of driving home just how serious the stakes are in Batman's fight against crime. Every time the Joker murders somebody, he is ruining a family and perhaps a whole community, because one person's death has a ripple effect. Did readers care about that nameless fairground owner whom the Joker murders halfway through the book? No, but that poor fool may have kids he can no longer feed. Batgirl fans also complained that there was no exploration of Barabara's feelings. In the hospital scene, when she wakes up, she expresses worry for her father. A woman whose past life was defined by self-sacrifice for others, and the first thing she thinks of when she wakes up is her father's well-being. Perhaps there could have been something more. Batman and the Gordons now have something in common - their lives were ruined by an evil man with a gun for no reason at all. Just one line mentioning that would have been awesome. But Batman had a fugitive criminal to hunt, so perhaps it made sense he did't waste time commiserating with her on that. There's a time and place for everything and a one-shot doesn't have the same room for character drama as an on-going series.

The final scene, where the Joker and Batman share a laugh, is probably misinterpreted by readers. Batman and the Joker and not bonding emotionally. It's more like a release of tension, a chatharsis achieved through a joke. The fight is over, the Joker is defeated and resigned to his fate, the adrenaline subsides. People have been known to joke with their executioners on their way to the gallows.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Kurzon posted:

Brent Spiner as the Riddler

At least it's not the Joker.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This popped up in my subscriptions recently and I think it's a pretty cool look at adaptations, namely Zack Snyder's take on Watchmen. I think it's pertinent given the talk about the Killing Joke adaptation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oltd-Jsi2I

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So I actually watched TKJ movie, after stopping three times and I just couldn't take it.

Conroy's voice has either changed a ton since BTAS or he phoned in his performance. And the animation was just so wooden, particularly for Batman and even the Joker.

Hamill had a few highlights as Joker but still overall performance was dull.

The promotion for this at least implied they were going to tweak TKJ as a story, particularly around Barbara's role. But besides the 30 minute Batgirl bullshit, mid credits scene and the loving dance number, it is almost a panel for panel adaptation of the graphic novel, just poorly animated. I really just thought this was overall pointless.

And for what its worth, I enjoy the original graphic novel and its one of the few Batman stories I enjoy.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure I know.

It's not me and I'm sorry you got such a stupid av

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

notthegoatseguy posted:

The promotion for this at least implied they were going to tweak TKJ as a story, particularly around Barbara's role. But besides the 30 minute Batgirl bullshit, mid credits scene and the loving dance number, it is almost a panel for panel adaptation of the graphic novel, just poorly animated. I really just thought this was overall pointless.

"Almost" is overselling the movie a little. If it would've been a panel for panel adaptation it would've been better but they still crammed a lot of unnecessary stuff like making Batman and Joker's confrontation at the end your run of the mill "hero vs bad guys fight"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's almost panel for panel because it has roughly twice the frames of animation as panels.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I often dislike Conroy's later Batman voice work. I think it's Andrea Ramano that made him so good. He always sounds wooden in these movies. Though I have no idea if she still works on these at all, I could be full of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

I often dislike Conroy's later Batman voice work. I think it's Andrea Ramano that made him so good. He always sounds wooden in these movies. Though I have no idea if she still works on these at all, I could be full of poo poo.

To be fair he's also like 25 years older.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair he's also like 25 years older.

I'm talking about his performance, not the sound of his voice. Dan Castelanetta sounds different, but his performance as Homer is still great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

I'm talking about his performance, not the sound of his voice. Dan Castelanetta sounds different, but his performance as Homer is still great.

In that case I think it's more that Conroy is good for a very specific kind of Batman. He is (more or less) compassionate-sounding. He can get angry or serious but when he does it is because someone has done something unforgivable rather than because it is his default state.

I watched a clip of the end of The killing joke and he completely nails the one moment he's genuinely talking to Joker and begging him to let him help him and I think that is because that is Conroy's strength. He absolutely rocks the compassionate element of Batman that is present in TAS. It's also why he is so frequently a poor fit for Arkham where Batman is kind of a poo poo. However him being The Batman Actor means he gets cast even in stories where Batman lacks the compassion that Conroy can sell so hard.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 3, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Something that helped a lot in tas was that there was a lot of time where he could voice Bruce and not Batman

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

In that case I think it's more that Conroy is good for a very specific kind of Batman. He is (more or less) compassionate-sounding. He can get angry or serious but when he does it is because someone has done something unforgivable rather than because it is his default state.

I watched a clip of the end of The killing joke and he completely nails the one moment he's genuinely talking to Joker and begging him to let him help him and I think that is because that is Conroy's strength. He absolutely rocks the compassionate element of Batman that is present in TAS. It's also why he is so frequently a poor fit for Arkham where Batman is kind of a poo poo. However him default to The Batman Actor means he gets cast even in stories where Batman lacks the compassion that Conroy can sell so hard.

Very good points. This is why I don't like him in the Arkham games or the Batman/Superman movies. I also don't like those games or movies, but that's not his fault.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Unmature posted:

Could be he's just lost enthusiasm for the material.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ImpAtom posted:

I watched a clip of the end of The killing joke and he completely nails the one moment he's genuinely talking to Joker and begging him to let him help him and I think that is because that is Conroy's strength. He absolutely rocks the compassionate element of Batman that is present in TAS. It's also why he is so frequently a poor fit for Arkham where Batman is kind of a poo poo. However him being The Batman Actor means he gets cast even in stories where Batman lacks the compassion that Conroy can sell so hard.

Those are some good points. The DCAU and especially its version off batman ist still the reason I would call myself primarily a DC despite not having a read DC comic since they came up with the new 52

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Avengers finally started again. Black Widow causes the terrigen bomb. Kamala was only in there for like 5 seconds. Maybe next week :/

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Looked it up and saw a gif with the Hulk and... The Thing?! Are they actually letting the Fantastic Four appear on tv?

Also saw a preview of next week's with Ms Marvel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKSV_5zVfQ

It's amazing how flat and boring Kamala of all people ends up, this show just sucks fun out of its ideas.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Looked it up and saw a gif with the Hulk and... The Thing?! Are they actually letting the Fantastic Four appear on tv?

Also saw a preview of next week's with Ms Marvel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKSV_5zVfQ

It's amazing how flat and boring Kamala of all people ends up, this show just sucks fun out of its ideas.

Thing and Torch were on an episode of that Hulk cartoon last year. Along with tons of other heroes like Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Blade, Deathlok, and a bunch of other heroes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
FF was in a few episodes of emh as well so not entirely out of left field

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ugh, G Willow just told me the writers/producers haven't even talked to her about Kamala. Not gonna get my hopes up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Avengers finally started again. Black Widow causes the terrigen bomb. Kamala was only in there for like 5 seconds. Maybe next week :/

Wait, what? How? Why? Like, I know the cartoon is only roughly adapting comics, but Black Widow setting off the bomb is a big diversion. How do they play that out?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so its a two parter

1st ep is avengers go to a small town where "a weird mist" is fogging it up. It's a crashed inhuman ship and terrigen dispersed in the air. They run into The Inhumans (BB, Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon in their old school looks and a guy called the Seeker). Black bolt is an rear end in a top hat and gorgon starts a fight. A new inhuman hatches and they all team up to fight it.

2nd ep reveals the crash was a setup by the Seeker and Ultron. Ultron takes over attilan and tries to use black bolt's power and an amplifier to destroy the world but Natasha turns the machine into a terrigen dispersal device which saves the world but releases the mist everywhere.

site fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 5, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That is... so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

That is... so weird.

"In Which The Avengers and Ultron Team Up to Defeat the True Enemy, 20th Century Fox"