Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Kanfy posted:

It's not post-game, there's a certain minimum level you need to access the DLC areas (I think like 7 or 8 or so for Part 1?) but after that you can go there whenever and you can bring all the items and companions from them back to the main game.

That said if you do go into them with high-level characters you get the option to scale their difficulty up, but that's completely optional.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

Telltale's Batman just released. Anybody here bought it? Some impressions?

Bought it on the PS4. I enjoyed it a lot, though if anyone is still daft enough to expect anything new from the Telltale formula...well, you know exactly what you're getting from the company by now.

There's a lot of cute little twists on the formula - the QTEs are more complex button combinations (the rhythm of them is surprisingly close to Arkham combat in places), there's a lot of dialogue and scene variations (particularly neat one was seeing a character show up much more injured due to my earlier success in a fight against them), etc etc, but at the end of the day you're getting the usual dollop of conversations leading into action leading into puzzle solving.

I like the direction the writing is taking though. There's a greater emphasis on Bruce over Batman (the latter is given a surprising amount of freedom with which to brutalize/not brutalize victims) and the game's themes reflect that. Nothing amazing as such, but the final "twist" implying the Wayne family was just as big a criminal syndicate as those Bruce now fights was enough to get me interested in how the story develops down the line.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I know this probably isn't news to a lot of people anymore, but just now I learned that:
Sell a virtually worthless card for 5 cent? That poo poo is getting held for two weeks and it won't get listed at all without a confirmation email because I don't do the mobile authenticator thing.
Randomly gift people I'm not even Steam friends with games via email? Yeah sure.

:bravo:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well I just finished Batman Telltale and its a Telltale game alright. They're pulling some of their own interpretations of modern takes on characters, like apparently having Bruce be childhood friends with Oswald Cobblepot AKA Penguin, Selina Kyle AKA Catwoman noticing the scars they left on each other and putting the pieces together in the middle of the first episode so uh - I guess sexual tension accomplished and the mystery of the Wayne family's potential corruption. The game has two modes, Win 8+ and Win 7 mode so maybe there isn't great optimization for Win 10 or people pick the wrong one, but so far no real noticeable bugs except sometimes the bat marker doesn't like you reloading a fight scene or missing prompts to get out of bat computer.

But it isn't the worst Telltale game I've seen so, maybe episode 2-5 could do better?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Crabtree posted:

They're pulling some of their own interpretations of modern takes on characters
that all sounds awful

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

that all sounds awful

Let's be brutally honest here, DC hasn't done so hot itself puling poo poo like the Batman Catwoman sex stuff and anything involving Redhood, Joker's Daughter or Starfire. They'd have to really work on it to be more tasteless than the actual owners have ever done with the source material itself in recent memory.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i havent really read any comics since that dc reboot

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have all kinds of serious control bugs just in the beginning of Telltale Batman. It just ignored like five different inputs during the opening fighting scenes that caused instadeath and now I'm stuck in the codex screen in the batcave and no clue how to exit.

Telltale games have always had technical problems but drat.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have all kinds of serious control bugs just in the beginning of Telltale Batman. It just ignored like five different inputs during the opening fighting scenes that caused instadeath and now I'm stuck in the codex screen in the batcave and no clue how to exit.

Telltale games have always had technical problems but drat.

Telltale doesn't support Xbox One controller. Or rather they only fully support X360 controller. They are dumb like that

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SinineSiil posted:

Telltale doesn't support Xbox One controller. Or rather they only fully support X360 controller. They are dumb like that
Oh. I replaced my 360 controller with a One controller a while ago because I thought they would be directly compatible from here on out but this is not the first time I have regretted that. Maybe I'll sell the One controller and go back to the 360 and just deal with the worst d-pad of any controller ever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

i havent really read any comics since that dc reboot

Which one? Post Crisis of Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, New 52 or Rebirth?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ha yeah sorry, new 52

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh. I replaced my 360 controller with a One controller a while ago because I thought they would be directly compatible from here on out but this is not the first time I have regretted that. Maybe I'll sell the One controller and go back to the 360 and just deal with the worst d-pad of any controller ever.

I wouldn't do that just for couple games with bad developers. Vast majority of games work just fine with it. X360 d-pad is just way too garbage to go back to it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

SinineSiil posted:

Really? I thought the difference was invisible to software.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Male Man posted:

You'd think that, but this game is not the only one I have played that seems to know the difference and shits itself with the One. I've read all kinds of instructions for how to use outdated drivers and stuff but they just go in circles. I can't even tell for sure what state my drivers are in now.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Male Man posted:

I still think that too, but apparently it's not?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

You'd think that, but this game is not the only one I have played that seems to know the difference and shits itself with the One. I've read all kinds of instructions for how to use outdated drivers and stuff but they just go in circles. I can't even tell for sure what state my drivers are in now.

Apparently you can use LT instead of RT or both of them together in Batman if that's the button you have issues with. This bug was also in Tales from the Borderlands game.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 3, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I bet it's because Telltale games use DirectInput and modern controllers poo poo themselves when it deals with such a lovely outdated standard. The Dark Souls trilogy is also bad for that, where if you don't have a 360 controller it's a total crapshoot as to whether any other controller, even the Xbox One controller will work and you'd need third party workarounds, which of course then flags you for cheating online in the Souls games because From Software's anti-cheating software is garbage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

cyanidewolf posted:

Have you ever wanted to be Finnish? Looks like Lady Fortuna smiles upon you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM

I'm not familiar with how greenlight works, but if that game gets released I know what to infect the future gift trains with.

Man, this game looks even more awesome than Jalopy. A lot more awesome.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I managed to find a work around with a Dualshock 4 with the Anniversary Update of Windows 10. Sorta. You need to reinstall the ScpToolkit and then force install the Dualshock 4 driver all over again. Starting working for me after that and I briefly loaded up Dark Souls to test that it worked since that game gave me trouble last time.

I haven't reset my PC yet though so I don't know if this will stick or if I'd need to reinstall the driver every time I boot up Windows 10 and want to use the Dualshock 4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could just use InputMapper and let your PC think it's a 360/bone controller. Works fine for me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You could just use InputMapper and let your PC think it's a 360/bone controller. Works fine for me.

Yeah but the latest Windows 10 update broke exclusive mode in DS4Windows and InputMapper. Most games will still work fine but other games that still use DirectInput like Dark Souls tend to not work very well because it sees it as two different controllers and the inputs get all weird and generally don't work right. Reinstalling the ScpToolkit and driver made exclusive mode work again for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh. That's weird. I guess I don't play too many games that are DS4 compatible so I didn't notice it was busted.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What happened to the Steam reviews of Fallout 4 lately? Did people hate Vault Workshop that much?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Harlock posted:

What happened to the Steam reviews of Fallout 4 lately? Did people hate Vault Workshop that much?

Probably because the season pass price increase proved to be pointless after all since it ultimately only had 2 major DLCs and the rest was worthless settlement inventory padding and a customizable robot companion.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Playing "Death Road to Canada" and it's kicking my rear end yet it's such an interesting game. Like a zombified Oregon Trail.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Playing "Death Road to Canada" and it's kicking my rear end yet it's such an interesting game. Like a zombified Oregon Trail.

The devs have been super responsive to feedback with bugs and balance changes, too. It's good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Humble Store started their QuakeCon sale today, and I just noticed via email that Steam started theirs, too.

The max discount on either site is 50%, even on old stuff like Quake (Q3A is still $9 :psyduck:), so unless they magically bring back dailies for this one sale it's not really a good one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zombie Samurai posted:

Humble Store started their QuakeCon sale today, and I just noticed via email that Steam started theirs, too.

The max discount on either site is 50%, even on old stuff like Quake (Q3A is still $9 :psyduck:), so unless they magically bring back dailies for this one sale it's not really a good one.

Shadow Warrior is 90% off on Steam because of it, even though, uh, it's a pretty tangential relation.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 3, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
New Doom is 30 bucks though which is nice.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, This is the Police is absolute garbage

I felt I was playing some sort of sim game made by racists. I assume racism would be part of the game's conflicts, but it's sprinkled everywhere without context. For example, one of my cops came back from a martial arts training thing and said "that jap kicked my butt". No more came of that. The newspapers talk about some sort of feminist party that sucks, but nothing comes of that. The mayors first demand was "Fire all black cops". Huh. That's not realistic, that's just throwing in racism for "edgy" sake.

Cutscenes seemed like they were written by Frank Miller. Post 2001 Frank Miller.

Anyone else play this? I know there's supposed to be civil strife and difficult decisions, but literally all that came to mind while I was playing this game was that this is the game those mra guys from that terrible "who wants to be a game developer" would make.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Madcosby posted:

I felt I was playing some sort of sim game made by racists. I assume racism would be part of the game's conflicts, but it's sprinkled everywhere without context. For example, one of my cops came back from a martial arts training thing and said "that jap kicked my butt". No more came of that. The newspapers talk about some sort of feminist party that sucks, but nothing comes of that. The mayors first demand was "Fire all black cops". Huh. That's not realistic, that's just throwing in racism for "edgy" sake.

Cutscenes seemed like they were written by Frank Miller. Post 2001 Frank Miller.

Anyone else play this? I know there's supposed to be civil strife and difficult decisions, but literally all that came to mind while I was playing this game was that this is the game those mra guys from that terrible "who wants to be a game developer" would make.
We assumed as much when one of the screenshots on the Steam page had dialogue choices that were all homophobic complete with a prison rape reference.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Accordion Man posted:

We assumed as much when one of the screenshots on the Steam page had dialogue choices that were all homophobic complete with a prison rape reference.

I searched back a couple pages and didnt see anytihng, wanted another papers, please

I got a refund

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Seems like Steam users like the gameplay enough, but boy does that writing seem to grow weaker and weaker.

And bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crabtree posted:

The game has two modes, Win 8+ and Win 7 mode so maybe there isn't great optimization for Win 10 or people pick the wrong one

My first assumption is touchscreen support, but the Telltale Engine is such a huge mess, who knows for sure.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mordja posted:

Shadow Warrior is 90% off on Steam because of it though, even though, uh, it's a pretty tangential relation.

Shadow Warrior is actually one of the uncharacteristically good Weeklong Deals this week. Definitely have a look if you haven't yet.

Zombie Samurai posted:

My ultimate goal is to review every game I have on Steam, so it'll happen someday. I might be reviewing it for my grandkids at that point, though.

I don't actually own Anachronox on Steam but I have it through sharing and I definitely want to revisit it.

Hey, if I'm going to be posting again anyway, let's do this week's Weeklongs!

YAY
Grim Dawn (review) - My pick for greatest ARPG of all time. Sorceresses with shotguns!
Sir, You Are Being Hunted (review) - Stylish but rough procedural stealth game
Shadow Warrior - Fantastic first-person slasher, runs a bit long
Frozen Synapse - Ingenious mix of turn-based and real-time squad tactics with awesome cyberpunk themes
Starward Rogue (review) - Arcen Games makes Binding of Isaac in space, is actually good
Blackbay Asylum (review) - Trashy horror adventure
Spaceport Hope (review) - Charming indie metroidvania in space

BOO
Hektor (review) - Raaaaaaaape hallwaaaaaaaaay
Chaos Domain (review) - Viciously terrible platformer

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crabtree posted:

But it isn't the worst Telltale game I've seen so, maybe episode 2-5 could do better?

That's what everyone who played the first episode of Game of Thrones said.

Speaking of which, TellTale keys (for TellTaleGames web site, not Steam):

HBPZ-UZFF-5PS1-XL15

HBP2-KC7B-XQHV-W9X8

HBGT-GQF1-V6E4-M1TY

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Madcosby posted:

That sucks. The concept of "corrupt police chief simulator" is a great one, so it's a shame they hosed up the execution on it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Madcosby posted:

A quick search tells me studio that made the game is located in Belarus. So I'd guess it's a warped take on US police tropes filtered through a half-understood, Hollywood lense. Which is arguably kind of interesting in and of itself, too bad the game sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

I searched back a couple pages and didnt see anytihng, wanted another papers, please

I got a refund

No Man's Sky is out soon. :banjo:

• Locked thread