Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Leonard and Sheldon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ribbed for her pleasure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uuuuuuuh

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yo, FactsAreUseless, the second season of You're the Worst just went up on Hulu, so go get it.

I envy you: the ending of the season premiere nearly killed me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The fourth and final season of Rectify will begin on October 26. Trailer here:

http://www.avclub.com/article/sundance-announces-premiere-date-and-releases-trai-240391

Season 3 was just added to Netflix yesterday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

The fourth and final season of Rectify will begin on October 26. Trailer here:

http://www.avclub.com/article/sundance-announces-premiere-date-and-releases-trai-240391

Season 3 was just added to Netflix yesterday.

I love this show so much, I'll have to find time to watch season 3.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
report: The Good Wife series finale was kinda disappointing. I wish they hadn't felt the need to end with ongoing plot, and had just ended with one last absurd case. In general The Good Wife was best in its procedural elements and weaker in its serialized elements, which sounds weird to say, but it's true. When the writing was all about trial shenanigans, it was at its peak. When it was about all the bullshit swirling around Peter Florrick, ugh. At least the last minute of it was loving AMAZING, as was the entire appearance of Will Gardner in the episode. tears, all of the tears. rip will. :smith:
I gotta give Chris Noth credit, he was really good at playing an ambiguous figure that veered between charming and lovely in believable ways. it's just that a lot of the plot relating to him strains credibility. And in the end they went too soft on his character. He should have been unambiguously guilty of tampering in that prosecution. but noooo, they have him go down for the one lovely thing he might not have done.
also, Lucca Quinn was a good character, until she disappeared, to be replaced in the last few episodes by a clone named Black Best Friend in Romantic Comedy. Cush Jumbo is a real find.
Jason, as played by the sexy Jeffrey Dean Morgan, was a pretty drat good love interest for Alicia, though. Maybe better than she deserved, because he was actually genuinely a good guy.

here's hoping Matt Czuchry finds another show. wondering if I'll actually LIKE Logan now when I watch the new Girlmore Girls stuff, entirely due to how much more likable and charming Czuchry was as Cary on The Good Wife.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how Kalinda and Alicia were never in the same room for like 30 episodes in a row. Even their last scene together in the bar was digital work.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character was a stunted teen and not that great of a guy IMO.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how Kalinda and Alicia were never in the same room for like 30 episodes in a row. Even their last scene together in the bar was digital work.

What's the reason for this?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

What's the reason for this?

From what I've heard they hated each other, or at least Margulies hated Panjabi.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was one final Good Wife panel with the cast and writers last year. Archie Panjabi wasn't there and she tweeted she wasn't invited.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Last Kingdom good?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing: having just wrapped up a binge watch of Friends, having only watched random episodes beforehand, the finale actually got to me a little.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

From what I've heard they hated each other, or at least Margulies hated Panjabi.

Yeah Margulies refused to work with her from all reports and I guess she got her way being number one on the call sheet. I'd love to know why a grown professional woman straight up refused to work with a colleague on a high profile TV show, must be some juicy reason.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

MisterBibs posted:

Apropos of nothing: having just wrapped up a binge watch of Friends, having only watched random episodes beforehand, the finale actually got to me a little.

:hfive:

Finished Friends last week after only seeing a couple of scenes through the years.

I could've done without some of the Ross and Rachel stuff but it was still pretty good. It held up better than I expected.

Now we're already one episode into scrubs (which I've seen only a few random episodes over the years)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah Margulies refused to work with her from all reports and I guess she got her way being number one on the call sheet. I'd love to know why a grown professional woman straight up refused to work with a colleague on a high profile TV show, must be some juicy reason.

Bronn and Cersei never met on Game of Thrones because they also hate each other

Sereri posted:

:hfive:

Finished Friends last week after only seeing a couple of scenes through the years.

I could've done without some of the Ross and Rachel stuff but it was still pretty good. It held up better than I expected.

Now we're already one episode into scrubs (which I've seen only a few random episodes over the years)

Scrubs starts off pretty great, has a steady decline in quality at some point, then basically jumps off a cliff, then they did another season anyway

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Wandle Cax posted:

The reason seems pretty obvious:

2010 Primetime Emmy Awards

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Julianna Margulies as "Alicia Florrick" for "Threesome" Nominated [10]
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Archie Panjabi as "Kalinda Sharma" for "Hi" Won

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A long time ago I binge watched the first 3 or 4 seasons of Scrubs and it was glorious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

It's probably more likely something dumb. When you get to a certain point you can just be a whiny baby about things like coworkers you hate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

IRQ posted:

It's probably more likely something dumb. When you get to a certain point you can just be a whiny baby about things like coworkers you hate.

the Charmed method of acting

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Scrubs starts off pretty great, has a steady decline in quality at some point, then basically jumps off a cliff, then they did another season anyway

The last season with the regular cast is good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The last season with the regular cast is good.

So 7?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
8! 7 is terrible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

J.D. is one of the worst characters on any TV show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

J.D. is one of the worst characters on any TV show.

I can't think of a protagonist that people grew to hate more than him except maybe Ted Mosby.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

I can't think of a protagonist that people grew to hate more than him except maybe Ted Mosby.

Dexter

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sereri posted:

I like how, at one point, the Ross/Rachel stuff shifts from Ross just being in Twoo Wuv with Rachel to the notion that Ross desperately wants a conventional family, and every setback is a gutshot that sends him back to the last stable relationship he had, and he knows it. It gets worse when he has a kid with her.

Honestly, the only Ross/Rachel beat I didn't like was their drunken marriage.

On the topic of Scrubs, I remember liking the seasons where most fans said they started disliking it. Sure, the earlier seasons are a bit more grounded and emotional, but whatever. Sarah Chalke :swoon:.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 3, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only good thing about Friends is when Newsradio made fun of it for being so white.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I have to assume that Ted is the reason FAU only said "one of" the worst.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wandle Cax posted:

The reasoning always seemed to be that Panjabi got a lot of acclaim for the show above Margulies, even though they were both Emmy winning. I don't know how true that is, but what is true is that Margulies used her producer clout to stop the characters actually appearing on screen together. She said that she felt their relationship was "played out" and she felt they were going backwards instead of forwards. The Kings avoided the question when they were asked about her comments and just eventually said that they won't get into a public fight over it and that Margulies knows that character better than anyone. Essentially the two stopped getting along and they were never going to get rid of the main character.

What is incredibly dumb is that she couldn't put that aside for the sake of one scene.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorry BSam. I think you're the only person that watched this though.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/760881602633211906

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's okay, we all know BSam deserves to suffer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I was watching it but haven't been able to catch the finale yet. Michael Madsen's muscle suit was glorious.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone watch Jack Irish - 2 TV movies and then a TV show?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

X-O posted:

I watched it, and season 2 was pretty drat good. Certainly better than Flash, Arrow, Daredevil etc from last season.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Random Friday Night Lights thought. In the episode The Son, most reviews I've read mention that the honor guard outside of Matt's house clearly mixed up and got information about the wrong dead soldier, but has anyone else wondered if the guy was actually right? What if Henry Saracen was just a completely different person in Iraq? In season 1 it's obvious that he felt more at home in the Army than in Dillon, to the point where he had the opportunity to help out his family by staying but deliberately left his underage son behind to take care of his mother (again). Honestly, I kind of prefer this interpretation, because I think it's even more tragic that the person Matt grew to resent legitimately had another side to him that Matt never got the chance to see, rather than just being an rear end in a top hat through and through.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Not the only one... deeply gutted. RIP Calista. You were the hottest chick in a cape.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

Random Friday Night Lights thought. In the episode The Son, most reviews I've read mention that the honor guard outside of Matt's house clearly mixed up and got information about the wrong dead soldier, but has anyone else wondered if the guy was actually right? What if Henry Saracen was just a completely different person in Iraq? In season 1 it's obvious that he felt more at home in the Army than in Dillon, to the point where he had the opportunity to help out his family by staying but deliberately left his underage son behind to take care of his mother (again). Honestly, I kind of prefer this interpretation, because I think it's even more tragic that the person Matt grew to resent legitimately had another side to him that Matt never got the chance to see, rather than just being an rear end in a top hat through and through.

This is exactly how I always interpreted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

This is exactly how I always interpreted it.

Me too. The fact of the matter is that Matt just didn't know his dad. He never got the chance to, so in his absence, he turned him into a hate totem. The guy the army recruiter was talking about was a human being, not a hate totem, so the image did not jive with what Matt had in mind. The truth is, pretty much everybody has sides to them that not everyone sees. My stepdad was an abusive, drug dealing piece of poo poo, but even he had his moments of humor when he was with his lowlife friends. Maybe Henry Saracen could only be funny around his army buddies, or maybe he was only happy in that environment.

Or, it's possible that the guys in Henry's unit hated him and lied about how funny he was for the sake of his kid in a "never speak ill of the dead" thing. The story Matt told at the funeral honestly made Henry sound like kind of a petulant rear end in a top hat who was prone to throwing temper tantrums, so it wouldn't have been too hard to reframe those tantrums as hilarious jokes if you're trying to say something nice about someone.

• Locked thread