Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's the rare mid power with a combo of a lovely home economy and uncapped tariff allowance where you need to find the magic tariff setting that lets your pops buy goods to generate your tariffs but if you raise it a tick your tariff income goes down cause they can't buy things anymore. But most of the most common picks have a situation at the beginning where cranking your tariffs up to the max allowed by your party is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Generally at start your bureaucracy will be weak enough that even at max your tariff will effectively be quite low. So you should just crank it up as high as you can before the parties force you to stop

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Figured I'd share the most impressive Victoria II run I've had yet as the Ottomans in the 3.04 patch. This probably isn't that amazing compared to some of the poo poo people pull off, but I was unreasonably proud of it:

Click for full size image

Started off as a fairly standard OE game, ate up Egypt over the course of four wars or so. Buddied up to Prussia early, which proved to be a great decision as they remained my attack dog for the entire game without ever pulling me into anything unreasonable. Particularly when you're fighting big countries like Russia, having a big AI partner provides outsize benefits just because you don't have to micro all your armies around and siege down gazillions of provinces in the Russian wastes.

My number one priority was raising literacy, so I just put clergymen as the national focus on each of my states, going from the most populous to the least populous, until each state reached 4% clergymen. 50 years or so of this got my national clergymen percentage up to 3% or so, at which point I was more than competitive with the rest of Europe in research. Rush to machine guns and by 1875 or so you can be off the races with African colonization. By the time I got the African holdings you see there, I was the #5 great power or so and just steamrolled everyone from there with the help of my German buddies. Great wars unlocked at 1890 and in the same month the first Great War started, which saw Russia and the UK get destroyed, which just put everybody except Germany and me in a death spiral from then on (Italy, of all countries, was doing great and was our pal until WW3 or so went bad for them and they spent the rest of the game fighting off endless rebels). Highlights include:

- No less than five great wars, which resulted in the state of the borders. In 3.04, after 1905 war goals in Great Wars get their warscore and infamy cost reduced by 70%, which let me go crazy by forcing Austria-Hungary and Russia to release all sorts of states.
- I made Russia release Poland-Lithuania because they've always been such a bro in EU4.
- Reverse Sykes-Picot: After WW2 or so, I noticed the UK's navy had ceased to exist, so of course I went ahead and created the state of Ottoman Wales (the price of the UK giving up a major chunk of their mainland is apparently 19 warscore, incidentally). From there I went ahead and forced them to release Ireland and Scotland and give me most of the rest of the UK mainland in WW4. Britain went fascist (!) from all the stress, causing them to release all of their puppet states and disband all of their armies everywhere, meaning what remained of British India and British Australia were stuck in communist occupation for the rest of the game.
- China also went fascist after WW4.
- USA stronk, but as usual they had no interest in anything outside of North America aside from loving with my SOI in South America every once in a while.
- I would've loved to be the #1 great power, but Germany had over twice as much score as me from a combination of insane industry and military score.
- Also Germany never colonized anywhere and the Middle East hasn't seen conflict in 50 years so I guess I fixed the 20th century.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
Five world wars to prevent two ain't what I'd call fixing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Those US borders are glorious.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

A Great War Fatigue mechanic or cooldown timer or whatever would be nice imo.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nah gently caress that, I want to be in great wars from 1890 on with like 1 year cool off periods.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

But the border gore.. :cry:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

These guys need to go the extra mile and fly Roman standards

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

No look it's fine, another Greek fascist also used the Roman salute! :qq:

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

victoria 2 was my first paradox game and i only played for the first time in the last year or so

hearts of iron iv is everything i wanted while playing vic 2

in my current game, started as south africa and left the allies to become communist -- i thought this would be short and i would get steamrolled because i played an earlier game as sweden where when i went fascist britain declared on me so to my surprise i didn't get that here

i destroy portugal and decide to also eat up belgium, by which point ww2 had started and by the end of all declarations we have nazis + communists vs allies

i've also been staging coups, and topically, i had toppled turkey's government with a communist coup just last night :tinfoil: -- they took over istanbul and currently own it while the soviets and nazis split the rest of turkey

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I must be hooked. I bought stellaris on a whim during the sale and have played about 60 hours in 4 weeks. I am bored in the mid game and don't have the energy to push past roughy 200 years, so today I bought Europa Universalis 4 with Wealth of Nations, Art of War, Common Sense, and The Cossacks.

Super excited to play this game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Asked in the EU4 but just in case anybody here knows: is there a way to de-ironman a save? All the methods I found through Google seem to have been patched out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone else having trouble with Paradox's online store? I'm trying to take advantage of this big sale to get up-to-date on EU4 but it keeps refusing my card (which I know is good and has sufficient funds). Sometimes it just says PAYMENT IS REFUSED, sometimes it says "Missing the encrypted data value. Make sure the Client Side Encryption(CSE) script did encrypt the Credit Card details." A search showed someone on Reddit had the same issue and fixed it by switching browsers but Firefox, Chrome, and IE all produce the same results.

Take my money, Paradox :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Over the last week or so I've been reading Wiz's Azerbaijan/Islam is the Light LP. Really enjoying it (obviously)- but wondering if anyone who was actually participating in it or knows the details can help me understand- why does it seem like Mexico never amounted to anything by the time of V2? I have about 20 more pages to read so maybe it gets covered at the very end, but most of the 1800s has been about the Kingdom of America when it comes to North America, but Mexico seems like it should have been in a pretty good position to push as a high secondary power and maybe even a Great Power:

-Sitting on Texas and California seemingly unchallenged
-No wars (afaik) with America or others draining its resources
-No major political instability rocking it on a regular basis

Did they never politically reform enough or invest in education enough to get some real industry going? Or did Mexico never really draw the immigrants needed to balloon their populations?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
There was an attempt to reconquer Mexico by the Spanish and several civil wars and coups during the 1800s, including the Texan Independence.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There was an attempt to reconquer Mexico by the Spanish and several civil wars and coups during the 1800s, including the Texan Independence.

I'm super dumb and can't tell if you're talking about real-world Mexico or the LP alternate history :-/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm super dumb and can't tell if you're talking about real-world Mexico or the LP alternate history :-/

I do noy read LPs.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

They didn't really industralize all that much. Mexico's IC for the planned AzeriDH mod (rip) was going to be 40-something, iirc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I've not read an lp but in my experience Mexico usually ends up at about #17 or 18 early on, and since they're right next to America they get sphered immediately and never escape

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Wiz's Azerbaijan LP started with CK1, so world history had diverged a bit by the time the LP reached Victoria 2.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This isn't the best thread for this but it's grognard lite and that's kinda my thing too so here it goes:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/grand-master-bundle

Do any goons know this bundle's games? which do you recomend? The Roman and Russian Civil war games look baller as hell, the others....not so much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mans posted:

This isn't the best thread for this but it's grognard lite and that's kinda my thing too so here it goes:

Do any goons know this bundle's games? which do you recomend? The Roman and Russian Civil war games look baller as hell, the others....not so much.

don't play ageod games unless you are insane

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i worked it out once and a full game of pride of nations would take something like 200 hours, half of which would just be turn time loading

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Mans posted:

Alea Jacta Est is meant to be quite good. I quite enjoyed To End All Wars although the AI needs a bit of work and it's a bit... obtuse I suppose.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mans posted:

For the games in the bundle you are looking for http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909

To quote the last post:

Foo Diddley posted:

Alea Jacta Est is really good, even if you don't like AGEOD games

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

i worked it out once and a full game of pride of nations would take something like 200 hours, half of which would just be turn time loading

It had some really cool features but man the implementation and bloat are a hundred times worse than any Vicky title. :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
But does it use counters?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AJE is actually ok if you like intense grognard games, yeah, though on my current computer it runs at like 5fps for no reason

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
When did it become ok to do Jacta instead of iacta yet still do it in the wrong order.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Westminster System posted:

When did it become ok to do Jacta instead of iacta yet still do it in the wrong order.

Yasta Aaliyah eßt

there is that better

feller
Jul 5, 2006

rest in peace :(

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Westminster System posted:

I seem to remember that Latin has no word order rules, but then again I haven't had Latin in like 12 years, soooooo...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah technically you can reorder Latin almost any way you want, which is great for poetry and awful for translating it in seventh grade

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Yeah, Latin word order is very free to play with (standard taught in schools is subject-object-verb, but any good writer will play with it plenty). Text of Suetonius has it as "iacta alea est"

Of course, he said it in Greek, quoting Menander most likely Ἀνερρίφθω κύβος (which means "Let the die be cast", with the imperative) :hist101:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I am building myself a computer and, obviously, I spend a lot of my time playing nerdy map games. I know a lot of paradox stuff is limited by the CPU, so in that case does it make sense for me to pony up for an i7 6700k or would an i5 6600k still do? Sorry for the technical question, but I thought this was a good place for it since 70% of my gaming is Swedish made!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've got an i5 6600k and it's doing me well. I haven't felt the need to raise the clock speed on it yet, the only thing giving me problems is late game HOI4. (and that's most likely a combination of bugs in the game that slow it down more than it should be. Stuff like the AI swapping every single navy commander in/out every day and sending all of their armies to other countries as expeditionary forces.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the rule of thumb ends up being an i5 is just fine. It might get hairy in the final leg of a game if you're the sort who really wants to peg the speed in between events or whatever it is people running on max do.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's pretty rare for an i7 to be fully used by games, for most people an i5 is fine. There's a good pc building thread over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Things you can also think about (don't think this is the case right now but when I was building my computer it was a big issue) is what memory, what cpu and what chipset you combine together. I think it was Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge at the time that you could choose for your Intel CPU's and if you combined certain chipset with fast enough memory (higher than 1866hz I think it was) the Sandy Bridge CPU had to clock down it's speed for reasons I don't remember anymore*.

Anyway point being, higher end components != faster computer.

*This was 4 years ago and I have forgotten most of this so I am probably butchering/simplifying what is actually going on and this specific issue you can run into probably isn't valid anymore. Point should still stand that just slapping on some components won't necessarily make your computer better.