Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paging Koesj
http://www.politico.com/magazine/gallery/2015/07/the-art-of-the-interchange-000173?slide=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
An incredibly low info listicle, but the pics are pretty alright!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Koesj posted:

An incredibly low info listicle, but the pics are pretty alright!

Do you have any tips for making interchanges? I know which mods and tools to use and to make it way bigger than it actually has to be in game, but your stuff is head and shoulders above anyone else's so I'm curious what your actual process is to make it look so good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any mod for this game that removes the ugly American style roads yet?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Panch posted:

For what it's worth I have a 980ti and this game won't get over 30-40fps and still doesn't exactly "pop" even at 1440p. I think it is CPU bound more than anything.
Yeah, it'd be due to the CPU. Cities of 100,000 will bounce around 20-30. When I switched to ultrawide the 980ti did make a big improvement over the slideshow it was with my whatever it was I had (6850 or something), but beyond a certain point it's more to do with CPU and memory.

I don't go too crazy on the assets, so that probably helps.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Do you have any tips for making interchanges? I know which mods and tools to use and to make it way bigger than it actually has to be in game, but your stuff is head and shoulders above anyone else's so I'm curious what your actual process is to make it look so good.

The one weird trick is to measure everything out and then apply irl road design constraints; most of all horizontal and vertical alignment (curves and slopes) plus connector hierarchy. I wrote a rambling guide but it's not that good IMO, save for the very useful reference sheet at the end.

Most important is to just get the curves right, here's an example I built in 2 minutes:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I ran into a problem a few days ago where some of my assets weren't showing up, and after some dicking around I ultimately had to unsubscribe from all mods, reinstall the game, and wipe a bunch of folders to get things working again. :suicide:

I've also spent the last few days making a new map, if anyone's interested. The idea was to have a map which promoted building your own road and rail network for a bunch of smaller towns.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732659746

Heads up, the highway connection near the upper right corner is set to left-hand drive, while the rest appear to be right-hand (i.e. you probably want to flip the directions of the lanes in that upper right connection).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Heads up, the highway connection near the upper right corner is set to left-hand drive, while the rest appear to be right-hand (i.e. you probably want to flip the directions of the lanes in that upper right connection).

Thanks for reminding me to fix this, I forgot yesterday.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Some mod I enabled/disabled makes it so I don't have any traffic lights, need to figure out what's up with that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dat suburbia

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

rscott posted:

Some mod I enabled/disabled makes it so I don't have any traffic lights, need to figure out what's up with that

That sounds like the best mod ever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

rscott posted:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.9237473,138.6453631,1516m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

'sup, Adelaide goon!

(this link gave me the weirdest feeling; my old house is literally less than one screenwidth to the right) :tinfoil:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That link to Adelaide is pretty funny considering that I wasn't really using any city as an inspiration.

more down town stuff

University with dorms and what are supposed to be Fraternity/Sorority housing

Shopping area adjacent to a new high density housing area

e: I did not realize that so many of my parks and other crap were missing assets because when people make collections of their poo poo they don't put any of their dependencies in the collection and I downloaded a bunch of other poo poo to give my kind of boring rear end city some more variety

rscott fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 31, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good winter map?(As in one that takes advantage of snowfall)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good winter map?(As in one that takes advantage of snowfall)

I made one a couple months ago, if you want to give it a try. It's built toward my interests, so it's got a lot of cliffs and terrain at different heights, and not a lot of big flat bits of land. I much prefer building around weird terrain than building perfect griddy supercities, because my computer isn't very good so it starts to creak and lag whenever I reach any kind of significant size. There's also a really terrible looking river because if you do the curvature of a river wrong, you can make it produce 20ft high waves constantly and look completely ridiculous! But you can slap a dam on it and meet all your city's energy needs, so it's not so bad. It'd be cool to get some feedback on it, to be honest.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Fully functional. You don't want to know how long this took to make. I even drew it out on paper so it would work :froggonk:

IMO it's pretty, i was trying to make it flower-like

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I ran into a problem a few days ago where some of my assets weren't showing up, and after some dicking around I ultimately had to unsubscribe from all mods, reinstall the game, and wipe a bunch of folders to get things working again. :suicide:

I've done this twice, I feel your pain :glomp:

Shibawanko posted:

Is there any mod for this game that removes the ugly American style roads yet?

What do you mean? The roads in the game are brown, American roads are black. There are mods that make the roads black but they're called something like "American Roads"

MikeJF posted:

Next DLC should be officially supported First Person exploration mode. I'd pay ten bucks for it.

This mod works BEAUTIFULLY for first person mode. You can go up highway ramps, bridges, follow roads etc. I spend lots of time just walking around my city.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651056665

e: oh but disable it temporarily if youre working in asset editor cause it zooms in which can be annoying

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 1, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks for the link to the map. I will have to check it out and let you know how it works out.

I have two more questions for you guys. First, is there a mod that would unlock railroads, and railroads only, early? I enjoy progressing and unlocking stuff in my city, but I find it really odd that railroads are so far down the progression tree since they are so ubiquitous in America.

The second is, I have been seeing a bunch of screenshots where people have their cities set up to be in a certain time period. I'm assuming that that has to do with district styles, but what do I have to do to make sure all of the cars are the correct time period. I am thinking of doing a late 70s-early 90s theme for my city and I have a bunch of appropriate car assets, I just don't know what mod allows me to pick the traffic assets. Also, does anyone know of a good USA style from that period?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i sometimes fire this game up and then remember its a goddamn traffic simulator and then close it quick

they need to make the traffic ai fuzzy!

reL
May 20, 2007

Baloogan posted:

i sometimes fire this game up and then remember its a goddamn traffic simulator and then close it quick

What I find so odd about this is that lack of granular traffic control in the vanilla game. I understand they wanted to keep the game simple and shallow enough to appeal to a wide swath of people, but for a game that basically boils down to traffic control, there's little you can do to influence it without mods.

I mean, I live in Jersey, and there are tons of intersections where there's no left turn, or no right turn, or the right line is right turn only, or a left turn lane develops at the intersection, or a right turn lane develops at the intersection, etc etc etc. The fact that I have to download several mods to be able to simulate those various effects, in a game that really boils down to a traffic management grind, is strange.

edit: And the lack of configurable stoplights. Not every small intersection is a set of stop signs. I'm not saying that I should be able to configure the cycles, but just to choose whether an intersection has a stoplight or not. And one-directional stops.

Actually is that a mod? I'd love to be able to configure one direction of an intersection to have no signage, and one direction to have stop signs, forcing cross traffic to yield to through traffic...

Guess I'm switching from Traffic++ to Traffic Manager: President Edition.

reL fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm just surprised that there is an issue with transit, mainly with people choosing busses over everything, since the two Cities in Motion games that came before this were entirely transit focused.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

reL posted:

What I find so odd about this is that lack of granular traffic control in the vanilla game. I understand they wanted to keep the game simple and shallow enough to appeal to a wide swath of people, but for a game that basically boils down to traffic control, there's little you can do to influence it without mods.

I mean, I live in Jersey, and there are tons of intersections where there's no left turn, or no right turn, or the right line is right turn only, or a left turn lane develops at the intersection, or a right turn lane develops at the intersection, etc etc etc. The fact that I have to download several mods to be able to simulate those various effects, in a game that really boils down to a traffic management grind, is strange.

edit: And the lack of configurable stoplights. Not every small intersection is a set of stop signs. I'm not saying that I should be able to configure the cycles, but just to choose whether an intersection has a stoplight or not. And one-directional stops.

Actually is that a mod? I'd love to be able to configure one direction of an intersection to have no signage, and one direction to have stop signs, forcing cross traffic to yield to through traffic...

It boils down to trying to balance traffic flow as a game. You have a few options with massaging traffic flow by smart, sometimes real sometimes fake, intersections using different combinations of number of lanes and one way branches.

Going beyond that and programming traffic lights and lane assignments per intersection is sort of bypassing the basic rules and assumptions the simulation has about traffic. If you aren't self limiting to some self appointed stylebook of real traffic features and schemas, you run the risk of short circuiting the traffic AI for your benefit. Like with the traffic mods, you can turn all the stoplights off and set all the speed limits to impossibly high with no downsides. Everything just generally works better without stoplights because of the nature of the traffic AI.

Working it into the simulation with things such as accident rates for mismanaged intersections or some sort of fudge to make cims get lost if you have a strangely complicated lane assignment would be very cool, but a very different game from what it is now, with an even bigger chance of alienating more people who don't get hard thinking about traffic light timing and lane assignment.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

reL posted:

Ooh I didn't know that mod existed, looks great. Now cross my fingers that it doesn't break my game when I Install :ohdear:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's been a long time since I checked in with this game. Is there any sign of a challenging economic simulation yet? Or a mod that introduces one?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Baloogan posted:

Yeah this is why I don't enjoy the game either. I don't really give a gently caress about intersections, but everything but traffic in this game feels rudimentary. And the roads look ugly.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Has there been any noise from the devs recently about when the next update will be or what their plans are? I assume the answer is no but I figure it's easier to ask here than go spelunking on Reddit.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I think they're still on vacation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's been a long time since I checked in with this game. Is there any sign of a challenging economic simulation yet? Or a mod that introduces one?
No.

It's still basically a combination of ModManager 3 and CityPainter 5.

reL
May 20, 2007

zedprime posted:

Going beyond that and programming traffic lights and lane assignments per intersection is sort of bypassing the basic rules and assumptions the simulation has about traffic. If you aren't self limiting to some self appointed stylebook of real traffic features and schemas, you run the risk of short circuiting the traffic AI for your benefit. Like with the traffic mods, you can turn all the stoplights off and set all the speed limits to impossibly high with no downsides. Everything just generally works better without stoplights because of the nature of the traffic AI.

I know I took it to a higher level in my post, but what I really meant with regards to missing components are:
Ability to make additional lanes on both sides of an intersection to accommodate traffic entering and exiting the road, for instance the ability to add a left turn only lane to a two-way two-lane road at an intersection (making it effectively 3 lanes at that point), and
The ability to set right-of-way on (smaller) intersections.

Those two are fixable with mods, but what I'm saying is that for a game that boils down to traffic management, such simple additions that don't really increase the complexity of the game, and don't require a traffic manual to intuitively implement (We all encounter these scenarios on a daily basis driving) seem like no brainers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

reL posted:

I know I took it to a higher level in my post, but what I really meant with regards to missing components are:
Ability to make additional lanes on both sides of an intersection to accommodate traffic entering and exiting the road, for instance the ability to add a left turn only lane to a two-way two-lane road at an intersection (making it effectively 3 lanes at that point), and
The ability to set right-of-way on (smaller) intersections.

Those two are fixable with mods, but what I'm saying is that for a game that boils down to traffic management, such simple additions that don't really increase the complexity of the game, and don't require a traffic manual to intuitively implement (We all encounter these scenarios on a daily basis driving) seem like no brainers.
You can make a turning lane for a 4 lane road by turning it into a 6 lane road at the intersection that needs a little goosing. The only bit that's not quite like real life is that its 6 lane instead of 5. You can do a lot of neat stuff in the base game by changing road types at intersections of interest.

Setting right of ways would make a fairly large dent in the gameplay balance, whatever they intend with it, by functionally increasing the average speed limit of larger roads. The larger roads exist such that their speed is tempered by the requirement of traffic lights anywhere you want to add traffic to them. If you can turn every entrance onto a main road into a smart merge (which is what, say, a stop sign simulating mod does), you get some speed for free compared to the just about always inferior traffic light. That's what I mean about it being a little like cheating the system to add something as simple as intersection typing without further considerations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If the AI weren't all perfect drivers mods like Traffic Manager and Traffic++ would be more interesting. Or if the traffic simulation could get more congested than it currently does. As is even with mods like Rush Hour and Realistic Population it's easy to design road networks that work perfectly just by playing along with the game's rules.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Every time I got really frustrated with Cities Skylines's traffic simulation, I'd resolve to find a better game. For a while I re-installed Simcity 5.

I always came back to Skylines :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If the AI weren't all perfect drivers mods like Traffic Manager and Traffic++ would be more interesting. Or if the traffic simulation could get more congested than it currently does. As is even with mods like Rush Hour and Realistic Population it's easy to design road networks that work perfectly just by playing along with the game's rules.

But you're building cities for 200k cims tops and probably laying around multi-laned avenues and all kinds of fancy freeways. Why not arbitrarily limit yourself and go for either a different kind of urban planning (more European maybe?), having house rules on what kinds of roads you'll allow yourself to use, have a minimum amount of PT coverage/ridership, etc. I know it's hackneyed, but hey, bonsai for nerds.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Has there been any news for a sequel/new DLC? I keep going back to SC4 just because graphically its way more interesting and diverse. But I loooovveee the transportation simulation aspect of C:S

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Avocados posted:

I keep going back to SC4 just because graphically its way more... diverse.

Dear CO, buy the rights to Cities XXL, throw it in the bin, and just steal all the building assets. It can't be more than a few hundred bucks for the entire thing at this point, right? :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Mandalay posted:

Every time I got really frustrated with Cities Skylines's traffic simulation, I'd resolve to find a better game.

That's perfectly reasonable and everything, nothing you say could be-

Mandalay posted:

For a while I re-installed Simcity 5.

:stare:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mandalay posted:

Every time I got really frustrated with Cities Skylines's traffic simulation, I'd resolve to find a better game. For a while I re-installed Simcity 5.

I always came back to Skylines :(

It's funny to me that Simcity 2013 is the game where we had a thread about talking about Banished and other upcoming games instead.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 4, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know how anyone could go back to SC4 just in terms of building road networks compared to C:S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Could always try whatever A-Train game is the latest, maybe, although that's more of a business sim.