Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So apparently Suicide Squad had similar studio intervention with competing cuts of the film that Fantastic Four did, but it wasn't quite as dramatic. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693 Ayer's cut was apparently more somber/serious.

[edit] Choice quote:

quote:

"[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

What are you even saying here? That it's wrong to voice the idea that movies you dislike are terrible and explaining why you find them bad or why you hate the process of how they are made is conceited?

Remember that time when SMG began every sentence with "In my opinion," to gently caress with people

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Most are actually bad, from what I've seen:

Iron Man 1 is an apologia for celebrity worship, techno-fetishism, and the War on Terror. Iron Man 2 has already been mentioned. Iron Man 3 is a truther movie.

Avengers is just all around terribly directed and written.

Captain America 2 blames Neonazi infiltration for the ills of the American security complex. Captain America 3 is no longer even about America.

Jesus loving christ.

Um, I thought Captain America 2 blames the American security complex for the revitalization of NeoNazis?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Calde posted:

Um, I thought Captain America 2 blames the American security complex for the revitalization of NeoNazis?

Did you miss the scene where there was a brain uploaded nazi scientist on tape decks?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah I get that Cap 2 was going for something like "the response to terrorism is leading us to a police state" but it's marred by the fact that it's a conspiracy that's doing that instead of the average rank and file people.

Like quite literally you get a scene where the baddies get expelled and in the next movie (Ultron) they're on the run and society is otherwise unchanged. That gives a message of "you can have radical change but also your life will be exactly the same as before", which is dumb.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yeah I get that Cap 2 was going for something like "the response to terrorism is leading us to a police state" but it's marred by the fact that it's a conspiracy that's doing that instead of the average rank and file people.

Like quite literally you get a scene where the baddies get expelled and in the next movie (Ultron) they're on the run and society is otherwise unchanged. That gives a message of "you can have radical change but also your life will be exactly the same as before", which is dumb.

I'd say that the resetting of stakes is best for a films message; "in this world where the police state has been questioned and resisted...." holds less tethers to our current situation than "in a world similar to our own..."

Like any long-running serial, there are great stories with far reaching implications within the end of that story, but the next story is going to begin in an approachable and disconnected manner, both in service to newcomers and new writers.

Kirk and Spock helped to end segregation on a planet and integrate the race into starfleet, but thats not going to come up again because it adds to the baggage the next writer needs to account for and to explain to new viewers. That doesn't mean the message is "desegregation is pointless and doesnt change anything".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Did you miss the scene where there was a brain uploaded nazi scientist on tape decks?

I'm pretty sure tape decks cant brainwash an entire military force. He obtained power directly from SHIELD's failings. You dont really just point to mein kampf and say "its not our cultures fault these neonazis are gaining prevalence, it was all this dead dictator's book of Power Words!"

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

:lol: do these people realize WB owns a huge chunk of RT

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Slugworth posted:

Where are you getting the sequel info from? Marketing has been saying that WWI is what drove her to abandon humanity, I'd be surprised if the sequel is her showing back up in WWII just to abandon humanity again.

Some old articles circa 2014 and 2015, not much in terms of recent articles though.

I'd think the Holocaust would be the event most likely to cause Wonder Woman to abandon humanity over the first World War though (especially since that would be more in line with the comics).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

teagone posted:

So apparently Suicide Squad had similar studio intervention with competing cuts of the film that Fantastic Four did, but it wasn't quite as dramatic. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693 Ayer's cut was apparently more somber/serious.

[edit] Choice quote:

And yet people swore up and down that the stories about making it light-hearted meant nothing. It actually sounds more like a TERMINATOR: SALVATION situation and I bet there was a lot of rewriting on set

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like a Joker/Harley movie would be interesting if they did a Natural Born Killers thing with it.

Goddamn this would be perfect.

A Joker film with a meta-commentary on how the Joker has a cult of personality following despite being a twisted piece of poo poo?

Yes please.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Neurolimal posted:

I'm pretty sure tape decks cant brainwash an entire military force. He obtained power directly from SHIELD's failings. You dont really just point to mein kampf and say "its not our cultures fault these neonazis are gaining prevalence, it was all this dead dictator's book of Power Words!"

No I just meant it clearly goes back to a pre-9/11 period.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
I'm going to start a petition to get Jared Leto locked up for his on-set sex crimes. Jared Leto you will go to prison for the sex crimes you did and also because I think you suck.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

how misanthropic

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The Cameo posted:

how misanthropic

Nah, Marvel is just paying me to spout these opinions (please don't tell anyone)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hey, it probably pays better than being a star or director or writer of one of those films at this point, and less of a contractual grind, too

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At the very least he is guilty of sexual harassment. Think about if one of your coworkers sent you used condoms and sex..toys.then think about what would happen.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Hey, it probably pays better than being a star or director or writer of one of those films at this point, and less of a contractual grind, too

When are we going to see our first on-set superhero movie director suicide? Which DC movie or Fantastic 4 re-re-reboot is going to drive one of these poor motherfuckers to eat a bullet?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Josh Trank's career is over so time will tell.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I just watched it. I now have a new fond appreciation for Batman V Superman. The Martha scene from BVS was Shakespeare compared to this.

Well done to the marketing for making me believe this would be a good movie though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

K. Waste posted:

the smear campaign against WB/DC

Haha you think this is real

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shards of Fate posted:

I just watched it. I now have a new fond appreciation for Batman V Superman. The Martha scene from BVS was Shakespeare compared to this.

Well done to the marketing for making me believe this would be a good movie though.

I wanna build a team of some bad people who can do some good.

What are you really up to?

Flag. That's a need to know, and all you need to know is that you work for me.

You need real soldiers, not these scumbags.

Everyone has a weakness. And a weakness can be leveraged.

That is just. A mean. Lady.

*nods* Yeah.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

And here we have the advocation of executive/committee/management based movie making and arguing for the death of an actual creative voice behind a film. We are actually celebrating mediocrity and the idea of building franchise films devoid of any creative voice or identity by just following a homogenised formula set by some upper level management.

This more than anything else is why the MCU is so terrible. They've successfully sold a narrative where executive meddling is celebrated and everyone cheers while utterly average, bland, forgettable movies with workmanlike cinematography that any half decent cable TV show easily surpasses get churned out on a regular basis to critical acclaim.

'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety
‘Batman v Superman’ Extended Cut Adds in All the Scenes That Make It Make Sense (Commentary)

lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

But mooooommm you can't punish me for breaking the vase! Billy next door snuck into an R-rated movie AND he stole from his dad's wallet!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

K. Waste posted:

the smear campaign against WB/DC

lmao

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This got a 32 on rottentomatos, I'm sure glad that they already have 2 more DC movies just like this coming after these last 2 flops!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

teagone posted:

[edit] Choice quote:

Its funny that "not enough time to work" is a complaint when it felt like this movie took foooorrrrever to actually be released.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is a mid credit scene for those going to see it.

For those who arn't:
That scene shows Viola Davis as Amanda Waller presenting dossiers on Aquaman and the Flash to none other than Bruce Wayne himself (Ben Affleck). As he leaves, Bruce tells Waller to shut down the Suicide Squad project, after the mess it made over the course of the movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

There is a mid credit scene for those going to see it.

For those who arn't:
That scene shows Viola Davis as Amanda Waller presenting dossiers on Aquaman and the Flash to none other than Bruce Wayne himself (Ben Affleck). As he leaves, Bruce tells Waller to shut down the Suicide Squad project, after the mess it made over the course of the movie.

Sounds like a stupid post-credits scene anyway. Those are meant to tell you things you don't already know to make you get excited for the next movie not just reiterate something you've already seen and know.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

in the final scene will smith looks at the camera and goes "well i guess this truly was a suicide...squad" and then they all jump and freeze frame

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zelder posted:

in the final scene will smith looks at the camera and goes "well i guess this truly was a suicide...squad" and then they all jump and freeze frame

You're joking but Will Smith absolutely has a line where he says something like "what is this? Some kind of......SUICIDE SQUAD?!?!?!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Wade Wilson posted:

Some old articles circa 2014 and 2015, not much in terms of recent articles though.

I'd think the Holocaust would be the event most likely to cause Wonder Woman to abandon humanity over the first World War though (especially since that would be more in line with the comics).

Hopefully even Snyder knows better than bringing the Holocaust into a bunch of superhero movies. I mean I get that he likes things dark but Christ, have some restraint!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Crosspost:

Like, you'll notice that the frequent point is that "Suicide Squad is trying too hard to be an edgier version of Guardians of the Galaxy," but the basis of this criticism is literally that GotG exists at all, and implicit within it is actually a far more troubling premise where GotG is actually superior because it has no aspirations whatsoever. The film is praised highly for having a foul-mouthed alien raccoon character which it 'effortlessly' renders as indistinct and non-disturbing, for example. Like the editing, this quality is good because it doesn't arouse any particular feeling at all, but is rather reassuring about the consistency of the projected gaze with our own ideological comfort.

You see the same thing with the commodity fetishism regarding Deadpool. "Look, two comic book movies about wisecracking mercenaries! Coincidence?!" Meanwhile, David Ayer is sitting somewhere wondering if anybody has actually watched his films, or considered that he doesn't think Marvel movies are good, while he types an obscurantist tweet about a Mexican revolutionary. This is this awkward guy's feeble attempt to tell the socially-mediated world that he doesn't share the oppositional cynicism of Deadpool or the candy-striped morality of GotG, but none of this matters because the point of these lazy criticisms and appraisals is never actually that people earnestly believe that Suicide Squad is more like those films than, say, Sabotage (another underrated action film compromised by studio meddling); it's that they want all movies to share in the inoffensive mediocrity of Deadpool and GotG because it makes their jobs easier.

Of course, this premise that 'trying too hard is worse than not trying at all,' that the invisibility of the spectacle is preferable to testing the audience and risking their vitriolic rejection, forces a series of comorbid premises which adopt vague memes: Mediocrity is good, 87% of cape-man movies are "fresh" (conveniently benefiting whichever corporation just manufactures the most of them), the problem with the cinematic minority lies with the absence of "color" and trying too hard to be "edgy," etc. Meanwhile, virtually never in this discourse are particular scenes cited, shots juxtaposed, cuts analyzed, dialog deconstructed, criticism merely persists on the level of vague memetic subscription. It's almost like debating Ed Wood, "Filmmaking isn't about the little details, it's about the big picture!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BigglesSWE posted:

Hopefully even Snyder knows better than bringing the Holocaust into a bunch of superhero movies. I mean I get that he likes things dark but Christ, have some restraint!

The X-Men movies have the Neon Holocaust in em and nobody batted an eye.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Ah, the Holocaust isn't dark enough for a Snyder movie anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah I mean what happened because of WWI

Nothin that's what

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I haven't seen any of them, how much of the Holocaust does it actually show? Because knowing Snyder, he wouldn't want to be too vague. Meaning we'd see Wonder Woman a la "Schindlers List", meaning, disaster.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Xmen Apocalypse having Psylocke standing in sexy poses while Magneto breaks down in the concentration camp ruins is a hell of a thing to see.

BigglesSWE posted:

I haven't seen any of them, how much of the Holocaust does it actually show? Because knowing Snyder, he wouldn't want to be too vague. Meaning we'd see Wonder Woman a la "Schindlers List", meaning, disaster.

Two of the films place great importance on Magneto's childhood in a concentration camp and two others use its imagery heavily.

Snyder is not making the Wonder Woman film.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 3, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BigglesSWE posted:

DOFP directly references the opening scene of X-Men 1, except this time the barbed wire cages are made of glowing neon lights and the untermenschen have super powers. Also, Nixon is a character with at least a page of lines, and the climax of the film takes place on the White House lawn.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Xmen Apocalypse having Psylocke standing in sexy poses while Magneto breaks down in the concentration camp ruins is a hell of a thing to see.

I've come to appreciate the bad taste of the X-Men movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

You're joking but Will Smith absolutely has a line where he says something like "what is this? Some kind of......SUICIDE SQUAD?!?!?!

While the line is dumb in isolation, I give it a pass because this is almost always how they get the name in comics. The official name is Task Force X, but usual a member of the #skwad or another character gives this moniker in dialog.

• Locked thread