Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Stream's over. Any civ color discrepancies seen between screenshots have been explained - the build used in all these videos is a month old, and after that they did a pass on all the civ colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I can't believe that they still have tithe in as a religion bonus, and that it appears to work the same way. That's the only thing I didn't like about the preview.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Human Crouton posted:

I can't believe that they still have tithe in as a religion bonus, and that it appears to work the same way. That's the only thing I didn't like about the preview.

Well other beliefs may have been buffed, and gold may not be as powerful - so time will tell.

The game will probably be balanced like poo poo on release though. I just hope they put some loving effort into rebalancing stuff in patches.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For what it's worth, I'm still impressed by the range of emotions the leader models show. Arumba's video has a part of Victoria's introduction and it's really neat. And her smile when you offer a trade deal seems realistically reluctant or forced.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Putting together new info codified by Well of Souls for those of us who couldn't/didn't watch the videos.

Theater Square (District)
Adjacency: Standard Culture bonus for each adjacent wonder. Minor Culture bonus for adjacent district tiles.
Yield: +1 Great Artist point per turn.
Buildings: Amphitheater, Museum, Radio Tower, Film Studio (American unique, replaces the radio tower)

Industrial Zone and Airport districts reduce the Appeal of nearby tiles.

Hanging Gardens (Wonder)
"Increases growth by 15% in all cities. Must be built next to a River."

Eiffel Tower (Wonder)
"All tiles in your civilization gain +2 Appeal. Must be built on flat land adjacent to the City Center."

Eurekas:

Irrigation: Farm a Resource
Archery: Kill a unit with a Slinger.
Masonry: Build a Quarry
Writing: Meet another Civilization
Celestial Navigation: Improve 2 sea resources.
Sailing: Found a city on the coast
Bronze Working: Kill 3 Barbarians.
Iron Working: Train a Spearman/Build an Iron Mine.
Machinery: Own 3 Archers.
Mathematics: Build 3 different specialty districts.
Military Engineering: Build an Aqueduct.
Apprenticeship: Build 5 Mines.
Cartography: Build 2 Harbors
Square Rigging: Kill a unit with a Musketman.
Stirrups: Have the Feudalism civic.
Currency: Establish a Trade Route.
Astronomy: Build a University adjacent to a mountain.
Industrialization: Build 3 Workshops.
Scientific Theory: Have The Enlightenment civic.

Inspirations

Military Tradition: Clear a Barbarian Outpost
Astrology: Discover a Natural Wonder
Early Empire: Grow your civilization to at least 6 population
State Workforce: Build any district
Craftsmanship: Improve 3 tiles
Foreign Trade: Discover a second continent
Drama and Poetry: Build a wonder.
Feudalism: Build 6 Farms
Games and Recreation: Research the Construction technology
Nationalism: Declare war using a casus belli.
Diplomatic Service: Have an alliance with another civilization.
Humanism: Earn a Great Artist

New diplomacy feature: Casus Belli. Declaring war on a civilization without first denouncing them is considered a surprise attack and incurs worldwide diplomatic penalties.

New luxury resource: Mercury.

Modern Armor unit graphic appears to be a Russian T-90 this game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I hope there's more to the casus belli mechanic than just that. It's really little different than Civ V (I've found that denouncing the turn before war always helped your standing with other leaders).

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Watching the stream, and it appears the tech quote for engineering is from Dilbert. :cripes:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Details I saw about Governments from these vids so far:

Each Government, in addition to the policy card slots, has one bonus you get immediately:

Autocracy: +1 to all yields in your capital
Classical Republic: Cities with a District get +1 Amenity
Oligarchy: Melee units get +4 Combat Strength

Monarchy: +2 Housing in city with Medievel Walls
Merchant Republic: +2 Trade Routes
Theocracy: Can buy land combat units w/faith
and something about units +5 in theological combat

Governments also give you what looks like a growing % bonus over time (in Arumba's vid, he has +10% Wonder Production for Autocracy - likely limit?):

Autocracy: Bonus Wonder production
Classical Republic: Bonus Great People generation
Oligarchy: Bonus Combat Experience

Monarchy: Bonus Influence Points
Merchant Republic: Discount on Gold Purchases
Theocracy: Discount on Faith Purchases.

Further, the growing bonuses look like they stay with you when you change Government types. In Arumba's game, there's a box for Legacy Bonuses. Whether you keep all or just some portion, or if it wears off over time, who knows yet?

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 4, 2016

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

One other feature I noticed: Units cost extra resources if you build them in a city without an appropriate District (for instance, Horsemen use 2 Horses if you don't have an Encampment, 1 if you do). Presumably similar for ships, maybe?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gully Foyle posted:

Whether you keep all or just some portion, or if it wears off over time, who knows yet?

Each government provides some legacy bonuses that accumulate the longer you have that government active. America's UA is building up legacy benefits twice as fast as normal.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the rationale behind that power being American?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jay Rust posted:

It's called Founding Fathers. Just look at how American politics today keep idolizing the Founding Fathers and what they supposedly believed and their political writings.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On Agendas, Catherine's is called "Black Queen"; Gains as many Spies and as much diplomatic access as possible. Does not like civilizations who ignore these espionage activities.

There are also Hidden Agendas called "Darwinist" and "Money Grabber". And during the stream Victoria apparently had one that made her pleased that the player had the highest world Population.

Also, the official channel just uploaded the stream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSbI8NANno

Hogama fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 4, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

It's pretty obnoxious to pretend that the United States, its revolution, and the government that came out of it isn't exceptional.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A lot of footage today. If I only had half an hour to an hour to watch, what video should I put on?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Human Crouton posted:

It's pretty obnoxious to pretend that the United States, its revolution, and the government that came out of it isn't exceptional.
To the rest of the world American Exceptionalism is just as obnoxious.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Looks like Teddy finally took out the cotton balls he had stuffed in his cheeks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's just part of the espionage system, he got infected with mumps which incurs a diplomatic penalty

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

Sorry that you can't look past your own lifetime's bias, and can't realize that the country you hate right now was also the historic basis for the ideas and eventually the technology that allows you to fart all over these forums today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uh, I don't hate America dude. Sorry I implied that maybe America wasn't the best country ever for inventing the Bill of Rights.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the American Exceptionalism thing is a pointless argument. America's UA is based around America's reverence for its founding figures and its long record of peaceful transitions between governments that have built on each other, thus in game mechanics they accumulate governmental legacy bonuses faster than everyone else.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Then why are they so bad at making stable republics

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:rolleyes:

I guess I'm confused about what the legacy government thing is meant to represent in general. If it's, like, "Well we spent two thousand years as a monarchy, but even though we're a theocracy now we still learnt a lot of things during our time as a kingdom that can still be applied to our empire", why the connection to the Founding Fathers and everything? What am I misunderstanding?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Christo posted:

Looks like Teddy finally took out the cotton balls he had stuffed in his cheeks.

I'm glad he was able to get over his Mumps in time for the game's release. I don't mind the leader portraits being a bit exaggerated but there is a point where something begins to look ridiculous.

On an unrelated note, I'm also glad that the devs have the option to re-roll your start right in the menu again. It saves a lot of time when you don't have to exit and go through all the options again when the RNG just doesn't want to cooperate.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Jay Rust posted:

I guess I'm confused about what the legacy government thing is meant to represent in general. If it's, like, "Well we spent two thousand years as a monarchy, but even though we're a theocracy now we still learnt a lot of things during our time as a kingdom that can still be applied to our empire", why the connection to the Founding Fathers and everything? What am I misunderstanding?

As far as I know legacy trait is something that characterizes the civ and its history as a whole while leader traits are inspired by that ruler's specific contributions.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Goons complaining about civfanatics and now they are sperging about America's UA.

Civ related, this game is beautiful and I WILL pre-order it. I haven't done that since Starbound... god drat please don't fail me Ed Beach!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

You are right in saying "Well we spent two thousand year as X and we learned form it.". The people who wrote the Articles of Confederation made that system because of their knowledge of how horrible past governance was. They ended up making a very ideological document that was not in line with reality, and then peacefully created the US Constitution as a result only 6 years later. They knew very much about previous forms of government.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Psychotic Weasel posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm also glad that the devs have the option to re-roll your start right in the menu again. It saves a lot of time when you don't have to exit and go through all the options again when the RNG just doesn't want to cooperate.

You can do this in Civ V, actually, but only on the first turn.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Maybe they're bringing back unrestricted leader to civ

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The CS suzerain bonuses are such a great feature, and seeing the Lisbon one in the live stream today made my loving day. It prevents your sea trade routes from being plundered (another CS has one for land trade routes).

Declaring war on someone in Civ 5 or, worse, getting declared on and having half of your trade routes immediately disappear was one of the most frustrating parts of the micromanagement game and I'm glad Civ 6 has this mechanic available, though obviously it won't be present in every game.

I'm still going through the info threads on CF but one thing I remember going unexplained from the previews a couple of months ago was the combat strength indicator on trade routes. Do we know how they work now?

Edit : found the answer in Quill18's video. The number is distance and the sword icon is incorrect and will be replaced by something else.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 4, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Strategic view.

Tech Tree
Civics Tree
The current tech and civics trees (tech tree was from a video playing Japan, so not everyone gets Samurai at Military Tactics, obviously.)
Apparently Neighborhood is currently the 12th district after all, at the Urbanization civic? Going to have to see more about that.

Missionaries and Settlers scale up in cost the more you purchase (other units purportedly do, as well, but those were the only named examples). Shown was the 2nd Missionary costing 55 Faith, up from 50 Faith.

Code might be early yet, but it seems continents might not have super clear delineation; thankfully there's a lens toggle to show continental boundaries. In this Polygon video, Rio de Janeiro is located in Antarctica, but right on the border; directly to the west, where the Warrior has moved to, is the continent of Laurentia (the continents of Zealandia and Pannotia are to the east and southeast). Could just be an oddity of the map size/pangaea/number of civs (seems a continent is generated for every 2 civs in a game).

Victoria's full Leader Agenda is "Sun Never Sets: Likes civilizations from her home continent, and wants to expand to all continents. Doesn't like civilizations on continents where England has no city."

Some new Natural Wonders include Pantanal, Cliffs of Dover, Everest and the Dead Sea.

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Watching the stream, and it appears the tech quote for engineering is from Dilbert. :cripes:

If it makes you feel any better, there are multiple quotes for each tech/civic and it's random which one plays upon research completion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

Some new Natural Wonders include Pantanal, Cliffs of Dover, Everest and the Dead Sea.

Everest bonus: for every X points of tourism you generate, a random civ loses 1 population

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Hogama posted:

Some new Natural Wonders include Cliffs of Dover,

I know they're pretty but it's kind of stretching the term "Wonder"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I know they're pretty but it's kind of stretching the term "Wonder"

What would you call a natural wonder, if not a really pretty rock formation?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'll let the White Cliffs of Dover in if they keep King Solomon's Mines out. And the fountain of loving youth.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I realise it's still early days, but is there any word on the system specs for this yet? My only computer these days is an i5 Surface Pro 4, and I'm hoping it'll scrape in at the bottom somehow!

It runs Civ V okay, so maybe VI will work?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can now research Social Media in a Civilization game. How far we've come!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

From quill18's video:

Petra: +2 Food, +2 Prod, +1 Gold for Desert(non-Floodplain) tiles for the city. Oh man, if you get some Desert hills/resources, that could be kind of crazy powerful in the right city.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can now research Social Media in a Civilization game. How far we've come!

Also, more sewers => everyone votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

webmeister posted:

I realise it's still early days, but is there any word on the system specs for this yet? My only computer these days is an i5 Surface Pro 4, and I'm hoping it'll scrape in at the bottom somehow!

It runs Civ V okay, so maybe VI will work?

I am hoping as well since I like playing civ on my couch, but I have a powerful game PC as well so I won't be out of luck if the game takes too much