Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

celeron 300a posted:

does it boot from a cd or usb?

did you turn off secure boot?

how old is it?

only partially booting from usb/cd, but once I get into the actual OS, it dies.. hard

i.. think I still have it on?

the board is from mid-2013 iirc

b0red posted:

look around for the legacy boot option or some poo poo. i can't remember exactly but it was something like that with my gigabyte mobo that would stop linux usbs

I enabled IOMMU after reading that might help, but still nothing

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rooney McNibnug posted:

only partially booting from usb/cd, but once I get into the actual OS, it dies.. hard

stopped being worth the effort a long time ago imo

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Rooney McNibnug posted:

run memtest

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

or just go find another trash dumpster computer b/c it would probably take less time than that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just don't bother running linux as any more effort invested will just land you in a stockholm syndrome situation where you waste your life trying to make things work for no reason

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahmeni posted:

do they support VDPAU without being a giant hacky turd yet

If you have a UVD card: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index8h2 and use mesa

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just don't bother running linux as any more effort invested will just land you in a stockholm syndrome situation where you waste your life trying to make things work for no reason

that + a job

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Rooney McNibnug posted:

If you are getting far enough into the OS that you see a linux-specific boot screen or console output, that might rule out UEFI issues.

But regardless, try a legacy boot without UEFI. Your mobo came out a little after windows 8, so your uefi firmware might still be a bit suspect.

You may have to disable secure boot to get the legacy boot option.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

I generally follow vid card stuff but this is all incomprehensible nonsense

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahmeni posted:

I generally follow vid card stuff but this is all incomprehensible nonsense

Scroll to https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index5h2 to see what the code names means, they're using the chipset family names instead of the marketing names

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

Scroll to https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index5h2 to see what the code names means, they're using the chipset family names instead of the marketing names

amd's own developers do this even :(

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i actually like linux, but only from putty in windows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Apocadall posted:

i actually like linux, but only from putty in windows

same!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am going to try to upgrade to fedora 24 today. but first i need to make sure my last 6 months of dotfiles are saved. wish me luck

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bluetooth headphones with mic.

cant get stereo to work.

fix is some huge python script?

cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am going to try to upgrade to fedora 24 today. but first i need to make sure my last 6 months of dotfiles are saved. wish me luck

fedora supports inplace upgrades that don't suck, now: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

(amusingly, the old way to do it was a tool called "fedup")

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why? wait until 23 is dead before you attempt that

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i upgraded to 24 from 23 and its fine so far, nothing wrong happen other than the file manager crashing on launch, but fixed that by deleting the nautilus folder from ~ and i am using nvidia.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Celexi posted:

i upgraded to 24 from 23 and its fine so far, nothing wrong happen other than the file manager crashing on launch

LINUX ON THE DESKTOP FOLKS

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

LINUX ON THE DESKTOP FOLKS

I tried upgrading a older PC of mine from Windows 7 to 10 and it threw up a bunch of BSOD's and refused to boot even in safe mode.

A fresh clean install of 10 worked fine.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ratbert90 posted:

I tried upgrading a older PC of mine from Windows 7 to 10 and it threw up a bunch of BSOD's and refused to boot even in safe mode.

A fresh clean install of 10 worked fine.

When is that desktop getting linux?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Celexi posted:

nothing wrong happen other than the file manager crashing on launch

they managed to break xterm?!?!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

celeron 300a posted:

When is that desktop getting linux?

It dual boots.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

they managed to break Iris FSN?!?!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

they managed to break xterm?!?!

Lomarf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh hay john c dvorak isn't dead

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2016/02/25/why-linux-sucks-and-will-never-compete-with-windows-or-osx/

quote:

Linux is free and is actually not even worth what you pay for it. That’s why people actually are willing to pay for something else. If Linux paid you to take it it wouldn’t be any more popular than it is now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

linux doesn't need to compete with windows though since windows is linux now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe posted:

bluetooth headphones with mic.

cant get stereo to work.

fix is some huge python script?

cool

bump

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I believe an OS, is the beginning and the Shell/GUI is what you add for yourself..
I find it Impossible for a Program(Chrome) to Break an interface because of a video driver..AND IT SHOULDNT..

What is happening to Linux?
To many Cooks in the Kitchen?
Major corps STILL dont think about it?? for drivers?

I find it funny that the Graphic Utilities ARNT in 1-2 Utility..

Linux USED to be #1 for Game design…for reasons..And all of them are gone.
MS wont let them make a PORT for DirectX, Not to say anything about its OTHER programming..

I remember the Old days when the Major PLAYERS in computers Made programs to work on EVERYTHING…
I could get Multiplan on Any machine..

But, its coming down to the ‘Atari War’ again..and the Loser will be the consumer.

The DOD is going to upgrade to Win10…STUPID..
The military has been TRYING to use windows in Fighter jets…Wish I could say this was a good idea..insted of making a STRAIGHT SIMPLE INTERFACE, they complicate it…and every time it lands, it wants an UPDATE..(waiting for it to happen inflight)
What happened to GWBASIC??
GET PYTHON WORKING ON WINDOWS…

What do you think of a OS, with its OWN interface, Runs its OWN programming language(Vbasic, VC++, DX, Netframework,…,…)(makes things confusing)…
AND STILL isnt safe…

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Endless Mike posted:

I believe an OS, is the beginning and the Shell/GUI is what you add for yourself..
I find it Impossible for a Program(Chrome) to Break an interface because of a video driver..AND IT SHOULDNT..

MS wont let them make a PORT for DirectX, Not to say anything about its OTHER programming..

I remember the Old days when the Major PLAYERS in computers Made programs to work on EVERYTHING…

But, its coming down to the ‘Atari War’ again..and the Loser will be the consumer.

The military has been TRYING to use windows in Fighter jets…Wish I could say this was a good idea..insted of making a STRAIGHT SIMPLE INTERFACE, they complicate it…and every time it lands, it wants an UPDATE..(waiting for it to happen inflight)

What do you think of a OS, with its OWN interface, Runs its OWN programming language(Vbasic, VC++, DX, Netframework,…,…)(makes things confusing)…
AND STILL isnt safe…

people like this are so confusing. is it mental illness?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Endless Mike posted:

AND STILL isnt safe…

source your quotes

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

I thought this was the creator of the dvorak keyboard but instead it's a really old tech columnist who actually distributed annual awards that he named after himself in the 90s.

He's a tech hipster that infested himself with the unsufferable narcissism before y2k made it cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

source your quotes

it's a comment to that Dvorak post

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Endless Mike posted:

it's a comment to that Dvorak post

I didn't expect you to actually source it, but that's funny.

I gave in and read that dvorak post and he complains a whole lot about :

• how linux distros decided to move to systemd
  • how it took him a year to switch between minor versions of centos 6 (when centos 7 is already out)
  • how his linux programs don't work like they used to in the gnome 2 times
  • how no one has listened to Torvald's complaints about desktop linux and "fixed it" (because, like, torvalds would love to have code minions at his beck and call)
  • how microsoft has people who will listen to your ideas but you can't get any linux people to help you. (forgetting, I guess, that windows 8 is a complete turd and microsoft won't stop asking people to upgrade to 10)

it is less of a "Linux has fallen behind other desktop OSes, here is how windows can satisfy my requirements better" and more of a "change is bad, systemd especially" post

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

celeron 300a posted:

I thought this was the creator of the dvorak keyboard but instead it's a really old tech columnist who actually distributed annual awards that he named after himself in the 90s.

He's a tech hipster that infested himself with the unsufferable narcissism before y2k made it cool.

he's been doing that poo poo since the early 1980s

he actually used to have a back page column in MacUser

much to their credit, Macworld had Steven Levy in that spot

this back when there were a fraction of the Mac users there are today, yet the market could support multiple half-inch-thick monthly magazines plus a weekly and columns in all the major general magazines

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

celeron 300a posted:

it is less of a "Linux has fallen behind other desktop OSes, here is how windows can satisfy my requirements better" and more of a "change is bad, systemd especially" post

this is quite a change from his usual MO for getting hits

back in the day he'd have talked about how awesome systemd is and how anyone who didn't like it must live in their mother's basement and probably prefers Xenia to real UNIX anyway

and he'd just keep coming up with ways to rile people to keep those clicks rolling in

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

thing different??? thing must be bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

my stepdads beer posted:

thing different??? thing must be bad

this, but unironically

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

people like this are so confusing. is it mental illness?

i've never understood people who randomly capitalize words mid-sentence. like not ALL CAPS for emphasis but just capitalizing a Random Word for no apparent reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Endless Mike posted:

i've never understood people who randomly capitalize words mid-sentence. like not ALL CAPS for emphasis but just capitalizing a Random Word for no apparent reason

isnt it like felons hook but for schizophrenia