Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I got my first Mac a few years ago and it came with iMovie. Sometime since then, between replacing my Macbook and reinstalling OSX, iMovie seems to have been removed from my Apple account, so I have to pay for it now if I want it back. Am I missing something? I'm not really opposed to paying for an app that I want to use, but it seems like a mistake that software would disappear like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If it came with iMovie it was either from the App Store (and tied to your account) or available on a CD for install (find the CD).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also if it works anything like Numbers etc once the AppStore recognises you have a copy installed on your system, it should kick in and provide updates that way. So if you have to borrow a copy from a friend or similar, that will work too. No serial numbers or anything.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

If it came with iMovie it was either from the App Store (and tied to your account) or available on a CD for install (find the CD).

I'm pretty certain it was App Store since this was long after the App Store became standard and I never had a CD. If I go to the App Store now though, it's not under my purchases (Numbers, Pages, Keynote, GarageBand, etc. is all still there though) and the store page wants me to pay for it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also if it works anything like Numbers etc once the AppStore recognises you have a copy installed on your system, it should kick in and provide updates that way. So if you have to borrow a copy from a friend or similar, that will work too. No serial numbers or anything.

I'll give this a try!

Edit: copying iMovie.app from a friend's Mac worked. I had to right-click->Open because OSX couldn't identify the developer (:lol:), but once I got that all squared away it's been fine. The App Store seems to recognize that I have it installed, too.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 31, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

101 posted:

uBlock for Safari isn't, as far as I know, but uBlock Origin for Chrome and Firefox still is

Yeah, but since we're talking about 1Blocker in this context, Chrome and Firefox aren't part of the conversation.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought 1Blocker but quickly switched back to uBlock because it blocked things that should not be reasonably considered ads like Facebook comments.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

I bought 1Blocker but quickly switched back to uBlock because it blocked things that should not be reasonably considered ads like Facebook comments.

You can turn that off in the settings.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I've tried a few ad blockers (I probably have some level of OCD) and found that 1blocker and Wiper work well enough. 1blocker can be a bit aggressive but it has awesome granular controls. Wiper is a set and forget it type that works well enough but I've also noticed some sites not working properly (usually some sort of shopping site). I've emailed both developers about issues and they have replied that they'll look into it to solve it so they're comparable in that manner.

On MacOS I've been using wiper and it's worked well enough I haven't bothered trying anything else.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

flosofl posted:

You can turn that off in the settings.

Yeah, I definitely use the comment/like button blockers but it probably shouldn't be on by default. Even if all that stuff is just a thinly veiled scam to install trackers on your site.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought uBlock was bad/abandoned or whatever and uBlock Origin was the way to go now (for non-Safari)? At the moment I'm trying Wiper on Safari since it's free and it seems ok but either I'm dumb or I can't find a way to whitelist websites or block specific elements.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having problems in Outlook Exchange 2016 with repeated password requests? For some reason Outlook 'forgets' the password and then proceeds to get me locked out of my corporate account.

I deleted everything in my keychain and that appears to have fixed most of it, but it still happens (just once every 2 or 3 days rather than 3 times a day).

The irony is that Airmail 3 handles my Exchange account perfectly. It just doesn't include all of the other native Exchange features.

Bob Morales posted:

I ran it on my iMac but the monitor I used wasn't very good so I ended up putting it back after a week or two.

What do you mean by a garbled mess? Can you reproduce it in a screenshot?

I have kind of given up on getting this working, but here's the monitor in portrait orientation:

That occurs whether I run it from the HDMI port or via the Thunderbolt port as the primary or the secondary. I think it's just a limitation of the old Mac Mini hardware.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Krispy Kareem posted:

Anyone else having problems in Outlook Exchange 2016 with repeated password requests? For some reason Outlook 'forgets' the password and then proceeds to get me locked out of my corporate account.

I deleted everything in my keychain and that appears to have fixed most of it, but it still happens (just once every 2 or 3 days rather than 3 times a day).

I don't save my Outlook password and instead enter it every time I launch the app. This seems to work best for me, no more locked accounts and no more hell of going through the motions when it is time to change passwords in AD.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I just started using a Mac at work but I still need to Remote Desktop into a Windows machine to get work done. When I'm remoted I'd like the command key to always be forwarded to the Microsoft RDP client so I can use Window key combos like (Win + left/right arrow, Win + tab). I found Karabiner which can do some keyboard mapping, but I don't see how to configure it to just send the key combos to the app and not to the OS. Any clue how to do this?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

gariig posted:

I just started using a Mac at work but I still need to Remote Desktop into a Windows machine to get work done. When I'm remoted I'd like the command key to always be forwarded to the Microsoft RDP client so I can use Window key combos like (Win + left/right arrow, Win + tab). I found Karabiner which can do some keyboard mapping, but I don't see how to configure it to just send the key combos to the app and not to the OS. Any clue how to do this?

Did you grab the Remote Desktop app that's free on the App Store or are you using the old one? The new one is much better. I remote into my work Win10 machine and I find keyboard shortcuts using the Winkey (Command key) "just work" when I'm in full-screen mode, but I have to admit I haven't attempted the snapping commands, I know Win + tab works. I mean, I'm 99% sure it does but I'm not home at the moment to check.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

gariig posted:

Jump Desktop is really, really nice. It might be a tad over kill if you're only connecting to one RDP session, but worth looking into.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Did you grab the Remote Desktop app that's free on the App Store or are you using the old one? The new one is much better. I remote into my work Win10 machine and I find keyboard shortcuts using the Winkey (Command key) "just work" when I'm in full-screen mode, but I have to admit I haven't attempted the snapping commands, I know Win + tab works. I mean, I'm 99% sure it does but I'm not home at the moment to check.

Second this. The latest MS Remote Desktop app from the app store works fantastically. I use a rMBP at work, and the times I need to connect to a windows server I use it with zero issues.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is a random shoutout but I love how in Safari in Sierra a link will open a new tab, and you can either close it or hit the back button but it automatically closes and returns you to your previous tab.

It sometimes did that before when closing tabs but never with the back button.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Imgur is loving worthless in Safari now. Was it the latest update to Imgur or Safari?

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Something weird is going on with my MacBook Pro (2013, running latest OS).

I tried to delete a zero bytes file from my downloads folder and Finder gave me an error code -43 saying the file couldn't be found and then hung the computer. I rebooted and tried again and it hung again, this time with no message. I rebooted into recovery mode and opened up disk utility so I could run First Aid on it, but I can't run a repair because my Macintosh HD partition is grayed out. If I click on it, it says it's not mounted and that the partition is completely full.

The other partition is my Bootcamp partition and it appears normally in Disk Utility.

I rebooted again and this time I deleted the file using terminal and that worked, but now I'm getting weird error messages where Finder is telling me it can't find certain files on startup. Google Drive popped up a window saying it couldn't find its SyncAPI. I've now run Disk Utility First Aid from within the live OS and it made everything unresponsive but did complete and say it didn't detect any errors.

Any suggestions? Do I need to do a clean wipe and restore?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Bob Morales posted:

Imgur is loving worthless in Safari now. Was it the latest update to Imgur or Safari?
Please don't browse imgur.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Are there any Mac apps to handle Amazon browsing/links? I've been collecting links for stuff on Amazon I want to research/buy for a while in a folder, and I'd love a way to browse them more easily than poorly descriptive link names. Like if I enter an Amazon link, it pulls up the description, price, reviews, etc. in something that I can browse easily in something that looks like the iTunes UI or something. I know there used to be programs where you could catalog the stuff you own.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Pivo posted:

That's the one I'm using. I still can't get win+tab to work, when I use it I get the Mac app switcher not the RDP Windows one when in full screen mode. Also, the command+arrow does desktop switching on the Mac instead of window snapping in Windows. I can live with it

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Violator posted:

Are there any Mac apps to handle Amazon browsing/links? I've been collecting links for stuff on Amazon I want to research/buy for a while in a folder, and I'd love a way to browse them more easily than poorly descriptive link names. Like if I enter an Amazon link, it pulls up the description, price, reviews, etc. in something that I can browse easily in something that looks like the iTunes UI or something. I know there used to be programs where you could catalog the stuff you own.

I either create wish lists on the amazon, or place the items in my cart and click on the "save for later" link. A pricetracker app like camelcamelcamel might do what you're asking, too

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also if you happen to use a wishlist to share with family, etc. Amazon has also added a "shopping list" you can put stuff in without adding it to your cart. It's in the Add To List drop down on the right of the product page.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ah, thanks for the tips. Sounds like those should take care of me.

Edit: Dang, camelcamelcamel can sync with your lists. I should have been using these a long time ago!

Violator fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 6, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bill Barber posted:

Imgur to me is a site that only exists to host images for free with poo poo like Right-Click>'Upload to Imgur' browser/OS Extensions. It bewilders me that it has a 'community' or any other features, or makes money at all. God bless those people who subsidize my image hosting and linking site. I feel the same way about YouTube, too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bill Barber posted:

I'm talking just uploads.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I use Imgur whenever I'm needing to upload an image to post onto a forum because Google Photos moved away from image URLs that forum software will recognize and embed. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

computer parts posted:

This is a random shoutout but I love how in Safari in Sierra a link will open a new tab, and you can either close it or hit the back button but it automatically closes and returns you to your previous tab.

It sometimes did that before when closing tabs but never with the back button.

Sounds similar to the behavior you get with pinned tabs. I dig pinned tabs but the lack of being able to see Facebook notifications kills it a bit for me. I use it for SA though.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'm talking just uploads.

They messed it up bigtime, chrome included.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What's the problem with Safari/imgur? seems to work just like it has been for the last year or so to me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What's the problem with Safari/imgur? seems to work just like it has been for the last year or so to me.

Super slow uploads, missing buttons...

The hosed the whole site up recently but it's just broken in safari now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just discovered "locations" in my network settings and set up a location for "home", "work", and "unsafe." Right now "home" and "work" are copies of each other and for my "unsafe" location I set up wifi with remembered safe networks (home and university eg) and told it not to automatically remember new networks I join. I also set up a vpn for this location. Later on I'll change the home/work locations to pull a static IP address for home and use a proxy for work etc.

1. How do I make it automatically join the VPN when I choose this location in the Apple Menu -> Locations? Ideally I want all network traffic to cease until it's connected to the VPN. So far the best way I've managed is to show the VPN logo in my menu bar up top and I have to manually click it and tell it to join the VPN. I want to do this automatically.

2. Going one step further with locations, I want the following thing to happen when I physically open my MBP or boot it up/log on: a small window to pop up with something like "Welcome [username], what location are you at? [Home/Work/Unsafe]." The actual message doesn't matter but I want all network activity to be jailed until I choose what location I'm at, and then it should activate the proper ethernet/wifi/vpn connections for that location. Is this possible?

3. Going 1 step further than that, how do I make that process automated? eg have it geofenced so that my home address activates the "home" location and so forth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

For options 1 and 3, you'll probably need a program like Control Plane. You can trigger actions and apps based on criteria.

For instance if you know the network you'll be connected to, you can change the location. (i.e. IF network = 192.168.1.0 THEN set location to XXXX). I'm not sure if there's a demo or trial version, but I'd say look into that.

Another option is using Alfred 2 automations. I'm not as experienced with that having only set up a poor mans "lock screen" using <cmd>L

I've never really used Automater, but there's probably a way to do all this as well.

Option 2 - I'm not sure if you can do that at a logon/unlock screen.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I've found my iMac running 10.11.6 has rebooted itself each night for the past two nights (10:08pm two nights ago and then at 5:42am this past night). When I login in the morning, I'm not presented with any "Your computer shut down improperly" dialog boxes, no software updated, and I don't see anything particularly strange in the console "All messages" surrounding the "bootlog: BOOT_TIME" entries. For both reboot entries there is nothing preceding them for about 3 minutes.

Is there anything else I can do to try to find out more info on why I'm getting (apparently) random reboots?

Edit: I let the computer run 24/7 and don't use sleep mode. I also checked the pmset log and found nothing.

Violator fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 10, 2016

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I received a Mac Mini from my neighbor that was in a foreclosure house he just bought. I am going to sell it for him but have a couple questions.

1. It appears to have some purchased software on it: GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers and Pages.
This software was purchased by the previous owner and I do not obviously know the person's Apple Store password. Is it legal to sell the thing to someone new with the software installed and will they be able to update it into the future since they weren't the original purchaser?

2. The App Store says there is one update available for OS X Server but when I try to update it, (With the Apple ID I created for myself), it says: "Update Unavailable with this Apple ID - This update is not available for this apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."
Isn't this just an update to the operating system? Was that something that would have been purchased by the previous owner? I thought it was simply included with the Mac Mini?

Sorry for the most likely remedial questions but I am not experienced with Macs whatsoever.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'd wipe the loving thing. I've never bought a Mac Mini, but at one point it PROBABLY came with iWork, I don't know, but without his Apple ID I don't know that you're going to be able to update them or anything.

To reinstall it, I would reboot it and hold CMD-R while it's booting (CMD is the one that looks like a dixie cup ... or Windows key if you're using another keyboard) and figure it out from there. Oh, you can also do Internet Recovery if you seem to be missing a recovery partition. That's CMD-OPT-R IIRC.

Just wipe the drat thing clean, gently caress the software. If you have the serial number and you take it to an Apple Store they'll be able to restore any pre-installed software you wiped out, but, c'mon, who really cares? iWork sucks.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 11, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You should try to log out of that Apple ID if it's still on the system by going to System Prefs->iCloud

Also as far as I remember, the software you mentioned above is all free on a new Mac , except for MAYBE GarageBand?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GarageBand aka multi-gigabyte wart on your drive that isn't useful to anyone who actually uses real music production software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I tried to wipe the thing, thats what I'd like to do, and apparently did not succeed because it still brings up the guy's Apple ID prepopulated whenever it tries to access the Apple Store.

When I hold down Windows+R on boot, I get the OS X Utilities screen where it has Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall OS X, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.

I select Reinstall OS X. It has me login to the App Store and then reinstalls the OS. When I'm done, it seems that all the old apps, settings, etc are still there.