Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

i've never understood people who randomly capitalize words mid-sentence. like not ALL CAPS for emphasis but just capitalizing a Random Word for no apparent reason

i do it sometimes, when i'm trying to convey that something is An Important Subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a prefect snipe

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

i do it sometimes, when i'm trying to convey that something is An Important Subject

that's the thing, nothing is an important subject

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that's the thing, nothing is an important subject

n-n-n-not even computers?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soricidus posted:

n-n-n-not even computers?!

especially not computers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

prefect posted:

same except when it's A Proper Noun

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Smythe posted:

bluetooth headphones with mic.

cant get stereo to work.

fix is some huge python script?

cool

i thought it was cool smythe :shobon:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

anyone that does a linux and prefers sysvinit to systemd is psychotic and shouldn't be trusted to operate safety scissors much less a computer

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Condiv posted:

anyone that does a linux and prefers sysvinit to systemd is psychotic and shouldn't be trusted to operate safety scissors much less a computer

What about embedded linux, does that get a pass?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

celeron 300a posted:

my brain kinda works like this O(minor os configuration concerns)

it's hard for me to imagine a space where you can use sysvinit but you cant use systemd. if that is currently the case, it wont be the case for long as the hardware requirement differences between the two is at least in the same order of magnitude.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

no

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i use systemd in the embedded linux system image i'm building

it is extremely needs suiting

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

other than a simple init system is way smaller and easier to manage than systemd. I like systemd, but it's situational on embedded Linux.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the core thing that makes embedded linux systems embedded is that there's no user interacting directly with the os, they just boot up and immediately start running your code. so the choice of init system is really entirely based around what's easiest to get working the first time, and that's entirely based around what a) you happen to be most experienced with b) is the best-integrated with your shitbox system builder c) has the most available documentation and at this point systemd works great with modern busybox and i think yocto so go with that i guess

i did have a problem with it once where we'd set up some raspis with cheap little lovely 3x5 screens to run some random production line programming fixtures, and the guy who set them up made systemd units be the things moving some firmware files around from prep locations to the actual nfs mount points, and made those units for some reason be in the dependency path for the gui. so the failure mode when their sd cards were full or when someone misnamed some file or when the file was corrupt because the wireless network at the factory was a pile of trash and large files would routinely get corrupted on download was to just display some bootmessages for about a second and then just go to a black screen, boy that was rear end to debug

i guess what i'm saying is: nobody who does embedded linux is doing it because they truly love linux, it's because it's a really convenient way to get things like scheduling and a good hal and driver model for 0 dollars and a very minimal amount of extra work, just smdh if you have Big Opinions about its init scripts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Condiv posted:

Sticky as official yospinion and make anyone who disagrees fight a thunderdome imo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

celeron 300a posted:

why would it?

embedded xnu uses launchd and it's awesome

why wouldn't embedded sysv fanfic want to use launchd fanfic?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Foo posted:

Sticky as official yospinion and make anyone who disagrees fight a thunderdome imo

correct yospinion

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
running production line fixtures with wifi :stonklol:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
systemd doesn't feel deterministic, which can worry some people
But I guess I can start moving from sysadmin-ing systemd and move to developing for it

nothing beats the low cognitive load of a big rc.sysinit file, especially when trying to teach an intern how to debug a new ticket

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

atomicthumbs posted:

running production line fixtures with wifi :stonklol:

no no no, it'd be when we'd update the firmware files those things were flashing, you'd download the file from the CI server to your laptop and then put it on the sd card the raspis use. what you should be saying is using sd cards ever :gonk:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

why would it?

embedded xnu uses launchd and it's awesome

why wouldn't embedded sysv fanfic want to use launchd fanfic?

if apple had used gpl instead of their own custom license terms, linux distributions would probably be shipping launchd right now

you like to complain that nobody will pay attention to your cool poo poo but it is a 100% self-inflicted wound.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i've been using ubuntu 16.04 on two desktops with unity, one at home and one at work, and on both of them unity stopped working after an improper shutdown.

also on this one desktop sound worked fine except the speaker and headphone jacks were mute by default. i don't remember if it was that way on the other desktop.

apt-get remove lightdm, boot in console, use startx and fvwm like the old days, problem solved.

ubuntu suits my :spergin: needs etc. but holy gently caress unity is a bloated pile of hot garbage.

2017 will be the year of linux on the desktop, i swear to god.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

There Will Be Penalty posted:

i've been using ubuntu 16.04 on two desktops with unity, one at home and one at work, and on both of them unity stopped working after an improper shutdown.

also on this one desktop sound worked fine except the speaker and headphone jacks were mute by default. i don't remember if it was that way on the other desktop.

apt-get remove lightdm, boot in console, use startx and fvwm like the old days, problem solved.

ubuntu suits my :spergin: needs etc. but holy gently caress unity is a bloated pile of hot garbage.

2017 will be the year of linux on the desktop, i swear to god.
Ubuntu is dumpster fire garbage, use Fedora.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ratbert90 posted:

at least fedora has a 50% chance of the installer working on any particular pc

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

i would but im still waiting for yum to finish

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Fedora is dnf now get with the times

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if apple had used gpl instead of their own custom license terms, linux distributions would probably be shipping launchd right now

you like to complain that nobody will pay attention to your cool poo poo but it is a 100% self-inflicted wound.

gently caress the gpl

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Fedora is the same pile of garbage, but with different bugs

source: installed both of these shits

ps: crunchbang++ is a cool solution if you want a desktop-ready debian with some nice features.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

YOSPOS: Linux is more licked down than Windows XP

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Lol you think Fedora uses yum. Gtfo of here with that poo poo opinion.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Toady posted:

gently caress the gpl

apple uses a license that's just as restrictive as the gpl, but incompatible with it. so nobody adopts apple's open source code

if they had used gpl or bsd or apache, launchd would probably be the de facto standard for unix service management. but they didn't.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anybody tried Steam on OpenBSD?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

apple uses a license that's just as restrictive as the gpl, but incompatible with it. so nobody adopts apple's open source code

if they had used gpl or bsd or apache, launchd would probably be the de facto standard for unix service management. but they didn't.

Well, that and launchd is intimately tied to the peculiarities of Darwin just as systemd makes extensive use of the nonstandard features of Linux. Take cgroups and dbus out of systemd and you're left with something much less useful.

If you want launchd and a Darwin-like system, there's a very easy way to do that: use Darwin. It's open source, so contribute to it until it reaches the point where you find it useful on a server. Otherwise don't tell other people who contribute their free time what they should do.

Anyway, some carefully defined subset of systemd .service files could well be a de facto standard for unix service management, and it's already sort-of happening: nosh can utilize systemd unit files even though they aren't its native service file format.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Lol you think Fedora uses yum. Gtfo of here with that poo poo opinion.

i would but im still waiting for dnf to finish

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

i would but im still waiting for dnf to finish

well guess what

it does not finish hehe

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

launchd is licensed under apache license 2.0

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

did someone say lunchd???

sudo make me a sandwich lol!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

did someone say lunchd???

sudo make me a sandwich lol!!

lmao!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

If you want launchd and a Darwin-like system, there's a very easy way to do that: use Darwin. It's open source, so contribute to it until it reaches the point where you find it useful on a server. Otherwise don't tell other people who contribute their free time what they should do.

i'm perfectly fine with systemd

eschaton, the apple employee, is the one who seems to resent the community's failure to recognize their brilliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

if eschaton resents anything, it's that you're not taking advantage of USER AIDS