Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

cyberia posted:

What the gently caress is going on in America that makes people think it's okay to cook things like that? :psyduck:

The great depression, a large push by food companies to present canned and preserved foods as a luxury status symbol, and the general homogenezation of a diverse set of food culture sources into one national identity through the aforementioned post war commoditized lens, roughly in that order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
That makes sense and all but I'm assuming most posters are around my age (30) and that means they grew up in the 90s so surely food had improved somewhat since the goddamned post-war period nearly half a century earlier. I mean, my grandparents are in their 90s and I think even they would find those dishes described earlier to be a bit on the nose.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Food got a lot better in the past 20 years or so. Hate as much as you want but celebrity chefs/chef culture and hipsters did a huge amount of good for food in the US, alongside the Guy Fieris and artisinal moonshine of the world.

Also definitely something to be said for the role of that English protestant/puritanical streak in US culture that puts an air of suspicion on pleasurable things.

Grand Fromage has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Aug 6, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

cyberia posted:

That makes sense and all but I'm assuming most posters are around my age (30) and that means they grew up in the 90s so surely food had improved somewhat since the goddamned post-war period nearly half a century earlier. I mean, my grandparents are in their 90s and I think even they would find those dishes described earlier to be a bit on the nose.

It's not so much the quality of food improving as it is the educational sources.

Only within the last, say, 10-15 years or so has quality cooking in general moved out of the realm of something practiced by chefs and the rare few talented people on TV into something widely available to most people. Most people around your age have parents that were born in the 50s to 60s, to parents themselves that reared a family in the core of the packaged food fad of that Era.

For that specific period it was considered uncouth or somewhat poor to prepare food from scratch using base ingredients, so we had an entire generation grow up mostly exposed to cooking from packaged parts, and by and large what you grew up with then is what stuck and what you ended up passing on to your kids.

I'm not saying it's normal to glob a poo poo ton of gross fake Alfredo on noodles, but it's kind of a predictable aberration of the general attitudes towards food that a lot of people from those times grew up with

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hadn't thought about how weird pre-internet cooking seems now. It's totally normal to see some thing I've never heard of from Japan that looks great, hop on youtube and watch a Japanese person make it, then go do it. That's such a new thing.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I hadn't thought about how weird pre-internet cooking seems now. It's totally normal to see some thing I've never heard of from Japan that looks great, hop on youtube and watch a Japanese person make it, then go do it. That's such a new thing.

I think this also kind of explains why a lot of pre-mass media americanized international dishes were fuckin bizarre. All most people had to go on were multi generation games of telephone where a friend of a friend of a newspaper writer had pizza one time and that's how you ended up with the recipe in the local weekly calling for biscuit dough and catsup. When all you had to go on were generalized descriptions of personal experiences and the scant few translated recipes, you can end up making some weird stuff

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ingredient availability's so much better too. I remember being a little kid and going to the exotic Asian market with my Chinese friend's family, a hidden place in a random strip mall without a word of English anywhere, just to find real basic poo poo that you can pick up in the international aisle of any Kroger now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There was a BBC series called Back in Time for Dinner that went through this theme for the UK. It's not as in depth as I would like and it's full of useless fluff as well, but it touches on interesting things.

Like the move from single income to dual income as the norm. The availability of refrigerators and microwave ovens. How convenience food's production processes and quality evolved. How the presence of supermarkets changed things. Women's liberation and the evolution of how they get to choose how to spend their time. And the fads and keeping up with the Joneses. What lifestyle we're being sold (by among others tv). Men moving into the kitchen as something that became acceptable to the point of it becoming a source of pride.

It's more than the easy availability of recipes, though that definitely is a thing now.

Don't know if it's available for watching anywhere now.

Spaghetti was once exotic food, somewhere in living memory!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cyberia posted:

What the gently caress is going on in America that makes people think it's okay to cook things like that? :psyduck:

Learning to cook for yourself is hard and we don't make Home Ec a mandatory class in school.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if i want to make a 17 cheese mac and cheese with bacon, one of those cheeses definitely being cream cheese i goddamn will goddamn it.

:patriot:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sup23-llKTw

For some reason, I find this really disgusting. Something about the texture of the "cake" and the combination of ingredients.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Learning to cook for yourself is hard and we don't make Home Ec a mandatory class in school.

But you can learn from watching TV, is not like trying to learn another language or something. There are entire channels with nothing but cooking shows.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Flipperwaldt posted:

There was a BBC series called Back in Time for Dinner that went through this theme for the UK. It's not as in depth as I would like and it's full of useless fluff as well, but it touches on interesting things.

Like the move from single income to dual income as the norm. The availability of refrigerators and microwave ovens. How convenience food's production processes and quality evolved. How the presence of supermarkets changed things. Women's liberation and the evolution of how they get to choose how to spend their time. And the fads and keeping up with the Joneses. What lifestyle we're being sold (by among others tv). Men moving into the kitchen as something that became acceptable to the point of it becoming a source of pride.

It's more than the easy availability of recipes, though that definitely is a thing now.

Don't know if it's available for watching anywhere now.

Spaghetti was once exotic food, somewhere in living memory!

I watched that too, it was good! Super depressing bits of it like but good!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RareAcumen posted:

I have not seen a single Home Ec class since I moved to the USA and it's a drat shame.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I have not seen a single Home Ec class since I moved to the USA and it's a drat shame.

I grew up in a small rural town in the middle of nowhere and we actually had a home ec class in highschool. It was in a shared classroom with the art class and all I had to do to switch classes was walk 5 feet past the counters that separated the room. We had several students in the class trying to earn an easy credit and nearly all of them had made AFP at some point.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Xen Tricks posted:

The great depression, a large push by food companies to present canned and preserved foods as a luxury status symbol, and the general homogenezation of a diverse set of food culture sources into one national identity through the aforementioned post war commoditized lens, roughly in that order

So, white people.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

QuelleFuck posted:

So, white people.

I dunno man, the French are about as white as they come and look at their cuisine :shrug:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Xen Tricks posted:

I dunno man, the French are about as white as they come and look at their cuisine :shrug:

I looked at the dîner tag on Instagram and it looks like even the French aren't immune to the scourge of loose corn

I don't know why they put tiny croissants over the meat here. Must be some French thing :confused:

And this one isn't inherently gross or anything but the no-sauce pasta combined with fancy slice of cantaloupe made me laugh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cyberia posted:

And this one isn't inherently gross or anything but the no-sauce pasta combined with fancy slice of cantaloupe made me laugh:

I'm the tiny smear of god knows what that won't help anything

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
no

pizza

rules

:nws: http://puu.sh/qst2p.jpg: :nws:

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

cyberia posted:

French "food"

Escoffier wept

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

QuelleFuck posted:

So, white people.

Racism is probably a part of it. Food is a universal thing so it's a point of contact between white people and other cultures. Really the only point of actual contact. Eventually basic things like "spices" and "not serving bland mush" are associated with other cultures so the rejection and ignorance of them becomes a mark of purity. You also get idiots who's idea of Hispanic outreach is eating a taco bowl.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this is the reason certain people are so protective of barbecue and chili. If they don't preserve it's purity then they can't enjoy it anymore.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bar Crow posted:

Racism is probably a part of it. Food is a universal thing so it's a point of contact between white people and other cultures. Really the only point of actual contact. Eventually basic things like "spices" and "not serving bland mush" are associated with other cultures so the rejection and ignorance of them becomes a mark of purity. You also get idiots who's idea of Hispanic outreach is eating a taco bowl.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this is the reason certain people are so protective of barbecue and chili. If they don't preserve it's purity then they can't enjoy it anymore.

I'm Hispanic, taco bowls own, eat a bag of dicks.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

eat a bag of dicks.

But only well done

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

But only well done

that's actually the one thing PCOS enjoys raw

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you think Americans who can't cook are depressing the things I saw hanging out with Japanese kids in their early 20's when I was in Japan would make you bleed from your eyes. Did you know in many traditional Japanese circles (or in parts of rural Japan) men aren't allowed to eat many forms of desserts? That's a real thing. But seriously there's a huge problem with Japanese young people not knowing how to cook, it's ultra depressing. Gonna have an entire generation of people with wicked bad hypertension because they can't cook anything that isn't Ramen, curry cubes or frozen TV dinners. A lot of it has to do with ingrained cultural sexism, a lot of the young women I met were like "oh I can't cook, that's what you learn to do when you get a husband and leave all your job prospects behind to raise kids!" and a lot of guys who's opinion was basically "i'm going to live out of the 7-11 until I land me one of them wives that does all the cookin". The one person we met who knew how to cook was a middle aged woman who was a "entertainment promoter" (I, uh, think her actual job was more "strip club" promoter but w/e) who dragged us back to her apartment at like 4AM so she could deep fry octopus.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
After browsing through different Japanese meal-related instagram tags (dinner, lunch, meal) I've got to say every post I saw was a solid 'would'. Which makes sense because I doubt some salaryman or otaku is going to be snapping a picture of their 7-11 food to post to social media but it does make me sad that I don't get to see some Japanese nightmare AFP.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

But seriously there's a huge problem with Japanese young people not knowing how to cook, it's ultra depressing. Gonna have an entire generation of people with wicked bad hypertension because they can't cook anything that isn't Ramen, curry cubes or frozen TV dinners. A lot of it has to do with ingrained cultural sexism, a lot of the young women I met were like "oh I can't cook, that's what you learn to do when you get a husband and leave all your job prospects behind to raise kids!" and a lot of guys who's opinion was basically "i'm going to live out of the 7-11 until I land me one of them wives that does all the cookin".

This part is exactly the same in Korea. I was all excited to have Korean friends teach me to cook things but in my years there I met literally one Korean who could cook at all.

Most Koreans view cooking as a thing you start to learn when you get married and move out of your parents' place.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

cyberia posted:

I don't know why they put tiny croissants over the meat here. Must be some French thing :confused:

I hope this is a joke, because those are clearly shrimp.

If it is :thejoke: than feel free to point and laugh, because I honestly think you're being serious about the croissants.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Really nice colour on those small pastries

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

But you can learn from watching TV, is not like trying to learn another language or something. There are entire channels with nothing but cooking shows.

Yeah, but that's not mandatory. You can watch how to remodel a house from some TV channels but that doesn't mean you're going to put that to practice. There's no requirement to show that you know how to cook in our day-to-day life like driving or whatever.

cyberia posted:

I looked at the dîner tag on Instagram and it looks like even the French aren't immune to the scourge of loose corn

Huh, I wonder what's different with them that makes them take decent photographs of their awful food that I think looks fine tbh.

Zipperelli. posted:

If it is :thejoke: than feel free to point and laugh, because I honestly think you're being serious about the croissants.

Here, learn and laugh. http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/food-fad-shrimp/

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:lol:

This is great. Thank you for the context.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Zipperelli. posted:

:confused: What shrimp??? (e: Seriously. I will never tire this joke)

invisible jerk
Jul 29, 2013

Metanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sup23-llKTw

For some reason, I find this really disgusting. Something about the texture of the "cake" and the combination of ingredients.

the texture is kind of weird but by and large Indo street food is really really good. Their 7/11s on the other hand have the saddest convenience food I have ever seen

http://imgur.com/RI7M0nx

kind of surprised that imgur hasn't added a feature to instantly play hello darkness my old friend over a gif but w/e

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, I wonder what's different with them that makes them take decent photographs of their awful food that I think looks fine tbh.

Those pictures are lit by natural sunlight, rather than by a flickering lightbulb shining from behind a half-closed door.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

QuelleFuck posted:

So, white people.

Poor people, specifically. The Great Depression and wartime rationing are still within living memory, and it's hard for food among the lower classes to suddenly shift within a short period of time. Generally you see massive shifts to different forms of cuisine on the higher price end, like the use of exotic or uncommon ingredients. The lower classes in America and Europe are still generally eating the same styles of food that they always did, just with the addition of new ingredients like spaghetti and new dishes like pizza.

Another part of it is that the nations that get mocked for "white people food" are historically not spice-producing ones. Spices and chili peppers are most common in places where they grew natively and thus didn't spend centuries being an expensive import, and there are theories that they also served as an antimicrobial addition to food. It was only recently that spices beyond common herbs and salt became easily and cheaply available in grocery stores; even in the 1950s, a lot of stuff simply wasn't available across America or could only be found at ethnic shops.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

RareAcumen posted:

My middle school used to have home ec and shop classes, but by the time I showed up they were gone so we had English class in a room with a dozen sinks and ovens, and geography in a converted garage.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pomp posted:

okay but what about a lonesome raw dog

I can't lie. Sometimes I just get a hankering for the cheapest of hot dogs, eaten cold straight out of the package.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Via an old neighbours snapchat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Samizdata posted:

I can't lie. Sometimes I just get a hankering for the cheapest of hot dogs, eaten cold straight out of the package.

I'm sorry about your depression.