Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The intro level of MGS5 is ridiculously long. I know everyone's said that but Jesus Christ. Just the bit where you wake up in hospital and are told you've been in a coma is longer than the Fallout 4 intro in its entirety. It's one of those games where it seems like it might be fun to start over once you've mastered it but I don't know if I can suffer through that intro again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

2house2fly posted:

The intro level of MGS5 is ridiculously long. I know everyone's said that but Jesus Christ. Just the bit where you wake up in hospital and are told you've been in a coma is longer than Fallout 4 in its entirety. It's one of those games where it seems like it might be fun to start over once you've mastered it but I don't know if I can suffer through that intro again.

If they had a "SKIP INTRO" button after beating the game, it'd all be fine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

2house2fly posted:

The intro level of MGS5 is ridiculously long. I know everyone's said that but Jesus Christ. Just the bit where you wake up in hospital and are told you've been in a coma is longer than the Fallout 4 intro in its entirety. It's one of those games where it seems like it might be fun to start over once you've mastered it but I don't know if I can suffer through that intro again.

To get the ending to the game you have to play through that entire sumbitch over again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And the best part is, you can skip the cutscenes to make it go faster on the second time through if you really want... but if you do that, you'll miss the only difference between it and the first one and it's a really important one.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

swamp waste posted:

It is refined and fun, and probably the best in the genre, but it's not all that deep. (I'm talking only about PvE here by the way, I haven't done any invading in 3) Drilling dodge/parry timings is the most important thing in the game by far. It does gain more depth when you're fighting more than one guy at a time though, and when your attacks can stun/counter the enemy instead of just chipping off HP, which is why Abyss Watchers has become one of my favorite parts. Against a big boss you're just playing Punch-Out.

DS3 is one of the few games in any genre where the enemies are legit aggressive, which is what I meant by pushing the system to its limits. With less margin for player error, it ends up revealing how little of what you do matters. In earlier Souls games it wasn't obvious because the AI was passive enough to let you get away with a lot of poo poo that DS3 enemies will call you on.

In a weird way the original Zelda blows away moden ARPGs for depth. When you get into the harder 2nd Quest levels with the teleporting wizards and randomly moving knights and the really different architecture from room to room you have to start thinking a couple moves ahead in a way that no amount of memorization can help you much with.

Serious question: did you play Bloodborne?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Jia posted:

Serious question: did you play Bloodborne?

Yeah! They're pretty aggressive in Bloodborne too. I remember them going somewhat harder in DS3 though, in that they have less downtime between moves where you can land free hits on them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dragon Age: Origins (and too many other RPGs to count): All the different stats are just pointless and confusing. Like, if I have a choice between three hats, one that increases my wisdom, one that increases my magic and one that increases my spellpower, which one is better? Should I get the gloves with a higher armour rating or the ones that increase dexterity or the ones that give a bonus to defence? I'm sure there's someone out there who actually knows what the difference between all these things is and why each is important, but I just want a simple way to tell which thing makes me hurt bad guys more and take less damage. And that's before you even get into even more marginal-seeming stuff, like do you go with the the necklace that reduces cold and spirit damage by 5% or the one that reduces fire damage by 10%. How do you even judge which of those is better without knowing exactly what you're going to be fighting and what types of damage it does?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't know about Dragon Age but generally RPGs will explain what each stat does so you know what effect you get from putting more points in it. Not actually sure how it'd be possible to build a character without knowing that kind of thing. Presumably Dragon Age has premade characters rather than you creating one from scratch?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

swamp waste posted:

Yeah! They're pretty aggressive in Bloodborne too. I remember them going somewhat harder in DS3 though, in that they have less downtime between moves where you can land free hits on them.

As much as I loved dark souls 3, this is actually what took me out of bloodborne and DS3, the enemies just never stopped. In the other souls games they had combos and animations that made them feel a lot more similar to the player character and made the world more believable. In BB and DS3 there's just so little downtime if an enemy attacks. They'll combo, combo, combo and maybe stop for a second before starting up another combo. It's like invading someone using an infinite stamina hack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloodborne gets away with that a lot better than dark souls 3 though, because almost every weapon in bloodborne is quite fast, and they are very well balanced (none are worthless, and a few are noticeably overpowered but not to the point of making all the other weapons worthless). Dark souls 3 has a gigantic pile of slow heavy weapons that are loving garbage compared to using the most boring weapon in the game and pressing R1 over and over, because the game was balanced around that and not the slow weapons, which just flat out do not get any opportunities that are guaranteed to be safe against many of the bosses or even normal enemies.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Nuebot posted:

As much as I loved dark souls 3, this is actually what took me out of bloodborne and DS3, the enemies just never stopped. In the other souls games they had combos and animations that made them feel a lot more similar to the player character and made the world more believable. In BB and DS3 there's just so little downtime if an enemy attacks. They'll combo, combo, combo and maybe stop for a second before starting up another combo. It's like invading someone using an infinite stamina hack.

outside of phase 3 german i dont remember this being the case. it was usually bait out attack move in for a couple quick stabs repeat. I didn't play the dlc though. I did do all the dungeons though. twice. and omfg whip is god mode for every fight but one if you are a scrub like me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

Bloodborne gets away with that a lot better than dark souls 3 though, because almost every weapon in bloodborne is quite fast, and they are very well balanced (none are worthless, and a few are noticeably overpowered but not to the point of making all the other weapons worthless). Dark souls 3 has a gigantic pile of slow heavy weapons that are loving garbage compared to using the most boring weapon in the game and pressing R1 over and over, because the game was balanced around that and not the slow weapons, which just flat out do not get any opportunities that are guaranteed to be safe against many of the bosses or even normal enemies.

As much as I liked a lot of the bosses, most of the non-human sized ones are beaten with the most basic traditional tactic of either hugging their rear end or rolling into their crotch between stabs and every attack will miss forever. Which is why the nameless king and abyss watchers are the best fights in the game.

snergle posted:

outside of phase 3 german i dont remember this being the case. it was usually bait out attack move in for a couple quick stabs repeat. I didn't play the dlc though. I did do all the dungeons though. twice. and omfg whip is god mode for every fight but one if you are a scrub like me.

I got it a lot with regular enemies, they just never stopped attacking and the only way I could reliably do damage to them was to either spend all my bullets countering every single enemy, or to dodge behind them and stab them in the rear end in a top hat because there was no break in their constant attacking. It was hilariously bad with the guys that had guns, at one point I just stood behind a wall in another room and like two of them still just stood there shooting at the wall where they psychically knew where I was. Forever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I don't know about Dragon Age but generally RPGs will explain what each stat does so you know what effect you get from putting more points in it. Not actually sure how it'd be possible to build a character without knowing that kind of thing. Presumably Dragon Age has premade characters rather than you creating one from scratch?

It tells you basically what they do, the issue is more about how beneficial a particular bonus is. Does +1 spellpower help me more or less than +1 magic? What about +1 willpower? And there are often multiple effects on a single item, so you might be choosing between +2 magic, +1 willpower, armour 1.2, fatigue 1.05 vs. +3 spellpower, armour 1.25, fatigue 1. One of those is probably better than the other, but I don't know how you tell which.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It tells you basically what they do, the issue is more about how beneficial a particular bonus is. Does +1 spellpower help me more or less than +1 magic? What about +1 willpower? And there are often multiple effects on a single item, so you might be choosing between +2 magic, +1 willpower, armour 1.2, fatigue 1.05 vs. +3 spellpower, armour 1.25, fatigue 1. One of those is probably better than the other, but I don't know how you tell which.

Spellpower is the power of your spells. Magic does that, but also governs other things too, like how effective healing items are. 1 magic = 1 spellpower for ...well, spellpower, but 1 spellpower won't make a potion better.

Willpower is basically the game's dump stat. It boosts your stamina bar, but not amazingly, and points into it is points not into damage-boosting, so you have to use more attacks. Plus you naturally gain stamina on levelling up anyway. A two-handed weapon warrior will boost this some, though, just because they use a lot of talents.

So the second item is much better unless you're not a mage - stronger spells, more armor, less fatigue.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ha, I looked on the wiki to try and answer those specifically but couldn't be bothered to post. Still, wikis are a godsend for playing RPGs in the 2010s.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It doesn't tell you what the stats do if you hover over them on your character sheet? I swore it did.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

And that's before you even get into even more marginal-seeming stuff, like do you go with the the necklace that reduces cold and spirit damage by 5% or the one that reduces fire damage by 10%. How do you even judge which of those is better without knowing exactly what you're going to be fighting and what types of damage it does?

This is something that drives me crazy in RPGs with elemental damage and resistances but has no scan ability or even a bestiary to look up what is weak/strong to what. Some things are obvious like flaming enemies are weak to ice or water but sometimes you'll have a human character with zero elemental flair to their attire who for some reason takes half damage from lightning but double from fire. Bonus points if no one bothered making a wiki for the game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

This is something that drives me crazy in RPGs with elemental damage and resistances but has no scan ability or even a bestiary to look up what is weak/strong to what. Some things are obvious like flaming enemies are weak to ice or water but sometimes you'll have a human character with zero elemental flair to their attire who for some reason takes half damage from lightning but double from fire. Bonus points if no one bothered making a wiki for the game

Or sometimes a game just can't keep its logic consistent and you'll go half a game where fire monsters are weak to ice and after the halfway point you'll just start seeing a bunch crop up that are weak to electricity instead because gently caress you. Oh wait no, they're actually flaming machines or something. Or maybe they're flaming ghost robots so they only take damage from holy magic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some of the jokes in Xenoblade Chronicles X kinda paint some of the main characters as just total assholes, even though generally they're fine. The one I have a real problem with is Lin's constant jokes about eating Tatsu, which is in really poor taste (:cheeky:) because his people were just hunted to near extinction by the Prone and Ganglion for food. Maybe don't make so many "jokes" that involve you actually preparing to cook him rear end in a top hat! He may not be that smart, but at least he ain't a bitch.

Favourite race are probably the Ma Non because they are just giant Space Nerds who come across as insensitive because they try to apply logical thinking to everything despite not being "beings of pure logic" themselves, so they deal with issues on anger with "Dude, your heart rate is is is dangerously high right now, and your respiring at an alarming rate!(sic, that's particle repetition is something they do, they talk like excited children. They're basically a race of four year olds going "WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF!" but they have the brains to make it actually happen :3:)", and it's likely a Ma Non would respond with."Your right, I should chill out and get back to baseline". They just don't seem to realise that other races aren't Ma Non, which can get them in trouble as it just exacerbates space racists.

Edit:

Leal posted:

And Yeah, Xenoblade really suffers with this. None of the icons are adequately explained so damage type/resistance is a mystery without a wiki.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Aug 7, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It doesn't tell you what the stats do if you hover over them on your character sheet? I swore it did.

It does, Tiggum's just being autastic again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Morglon posted:

It does, Tiggum's just being autastic again.

I failed to notice it was Tiggum until too late.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So Final Fantasy XIV's story has awful pacing. Just killed a giant super badass dragon, carved out its eye and talked poo poo to the dragon king?

Well time to go run some errands for a lovely bar in a stupid slum for an hour or two.

Like I get that not every quest can be action packed and awesome, and that you need to do some boring quests to give context and exposition. But seriously, stopped a war with dragons just to do like ten really tedious fetch quests in a town you can't rid your mount in so you have to slowly walk everywhere like a moron. They could have cut out all but the first and last two and you wouldn't miss anything in the story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Willpower is basically the game's dump stat. It boosts your stamina bar, but not amazingly, and points into it is points not into damage-boosting, so you have to use more attacks. Plus you naturally gain stamina on levelling up anyway. A two-handed weapon warrior will boost this some, though, just because they use a lot of talents.
See, I spend every moderately difficult fight shotgunning lyrium potions, so I've been prioritising willpower. :shrug:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Tiggum posted:

It tells you basically what they do, the issue is more about how beneficial a particular bonus is.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The designers cannot know if a given item is going to be better for your particular build. That is beyond the human limits of coding. The only game that can do that is Diablo 3, and that's because there's only two numbers that matter in that entire game- damage and health.

I suppose if it's tricky to figure out if a +1 to X is better than a +20 to Y, that might be a complaint worth discussing, but that's more a matter of "I can't figure out what the scales are in this game."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Somfin posted:

The designers cannot know if a given item is going to be better for your particular build. That is beyond the human limits of coding.

That's kind of the point I'm making? It's overly complicated and there's really no good reason for that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Devs telling you the right way to play means the game has no choice, or even an illusion of it. In an RPG that's especially heinous.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Along similar lines I hate RPGs (especially ones in the old school mold) that vomit 20 different stats at you at character creation and expect you to know exactly what you're doing from the word go. Bonus points if the game is old and/or badly made enough that your arbitrary decision to pump points into fire resistance turns out to be a waste because the devs only put three fire enemies in the entire game.

With these games being what they are, nine times out of ten what you're best off doing is pumping 1-3 key stats and ignoring everything else anyway. How many games have a mercantile stat that nobody ever invests in, I wonder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it is especially bad in Wasteland 2. I don't know if they were just assuming you were going to play with the pre-built characters the first time but trying to actually build your own guy is just stupidly complex.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, it is especially bad in Wasteland 2. I don't know if they were just assuming you were going to play with the pre-built characters the first time but trying to actually build your own guy is just stupidly complex.

Wasteland 2 was intentionally trying to evoke the byzantine nature of 80s and 90s rpgs. It just did it a little too hard.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

That's kind of the point I'm making? It's overly complicated and there's really no good reason for that.

This is one time where I completely agree with you. Especially since Bioware had previously removed this entire issue by making Knights of the Old Republic based on d20. I mean, they didn't implement it correctly but the concept was sound and there are reference materials.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I made a black grandmother named "Granny Marge" who ran around beating poo poo to death with a baseball bat. She was also my field medic. I got bored at the Ag center because gently caress the ag center, highpool would have definitely been the better first choice, at least there's people to be saved there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

im pooping! posted:

This is one time where I completely agree with you. Especially since Bioware had previously removed this entire issue by making Knights of the Old Republic based on d20. I mean, they didn't implement it correctly but the concept was sound and there are reference materials.

Kotor would be a bad example if you're agreeing with him though? Do I take wisdom for more FP or CHA to boost certain powers? So confusing.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The point is you can look up the reference, and there's even a section in game to see feedback from dice rolls. And the answer is WIS. Always WIS.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Those games just aren't your thing, and that's fine. Like, you're talking about a specific type of RPG that caters to the type of player (like me) that enjoys figuring that stuff out, because it offers me the freedom to try out different builds. It's not just choosing to play a fighter, archer or mage, but then deciding what kind of mage you want to play and choose the skills and equipment that match that. There's tons of RPGs that do the opposite, which might be more your cup of tea. Just pick a class and maybe what way to go in the skill tree and level up while killing baddies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

See, I spend every moderately difficult fight shotgunning lyrium potions, so I've been prioritising willpower. :shrug:

Yeah, you went down the wrong way. If you put everything in magic instead, your spells would be stronger and the lyrium potions would recover more.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wasteland 2 was intentionally trying to evoke the byzantine nature of 80s and 90s rpgs. It just did it a little too hard.
FIVE different unlocking skills... I think.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Taeke posted:

Those games just aren't your thing, and that's fine. Like, you're talking about a specific type of RPG that caters to the type of player (like me) that enjoys figuring that stuff out, because it offers me the freedom to try out different builds. It's not just choosing to play a fighter, archer or mage, but then deciding what kind of mage you want to play and choose the skills and equipment that match that. There's tons of RPGs that do the opposite, which might be more your cup of tea. Just pick a class and maybe what way to go in the skill tree and level up while killing baddies.

Dragon Age Inquisition might be more his thing. You don't manually pick your stats when you level up--they increase when you buy skills. So do you buy a tank skill? The game says "yes, you want more tank stat" and then gives you points of Constitution so you tank better. Stamina and Mana pools are fixed in size so you don't have to pick between a "do more" or "do better" stat like you might between Willpower and Strength. Stat stacking mostly comes up when you make your own gear, and if you're making your own gear you're basically breaking the game already.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Aug 7, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Croccers posted:

FIVE different unlocking skills... I think.

Hell, almost every skill but the gun and talk ones was some kind of unlock. You have brute force for unlocking walls, safecracking for most safes, alarm disarm for some safes or some gates, computer science for the remaining safes and computers, lock picking for doors and gates, even demolition was a kind of "unlock" skill in that it unlocked paths that didn't involve exploding.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Half-Life 2: There are about nine faces for all unnamed friendly NPCs (which was a lot for 2004.) Most of the time this fact doesn't call attention to itself but there's one bit towards the middle of Anticitizen One that seems almost guaranteed to produce identical twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Half-Life 2: There are about nine faces for all unnamed friendly NPCs (which was a lot for 2004.) Most of the time this fact doesn't call attention to itself but there's one bit towards the middle of Anticitizen One that seems almost guaranteed to produce identical twins.

Pretty much all my gaming time lately has been nonstop Witcher 3 marathons and this is something that's been bugging me in it. I don't care that random peasants get repeated a lot, whatever, no game's going to have everyone be completely unique unless it's some procedurally generated thing, but quest givers and sometimes secondary-but-still-important plot characters get recycled with maybe a few superficial changes and it's really weird.

The pellar in Skellige being the pellar from Velen, plus a few facial moles and minus a few teeth, was the one that really irritated me since they're both fairly important characters to the main plot as well as some larger side quests.