Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Yoshifan823 posted:

Emily Blunt would be a pretty good "proper brit" and she's got great comedic timing.

but there's not enough of an age gap between Blunt and Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spatula City posted:

but there's not enough of an age gap between Blunt and Wilson.

Just get Wilson to lie about her age again. :classiclol:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why go British when we can go cougar: Marissa Tomei.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

TetsuoTW posted:

lol I can't believe there was actually a real living person who didn't call Slipknot's death. The dude's thing is he ties knots good, of course he was fodder.

It sucks because I actually liked the dude and his cool little stunt he pulled off in his three minutes of screen time.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Farm Frenzy posted:

is poo poo so dire now that even low(er) budget comedies need to be remakes of 30 year old movies people vaguely remember liking

Yeah, comedy remakes of 30 year old movies suck, such as... Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, a remake of Bedtime Story (1964) with Marlon Brando and David Niven.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Sex Hobbit posted:

What even WAS that with the chemical vats??

Toxins.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah, comedy remakes of 30 year old movies suck, such as... Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, a remake of Bedtime Story (1964) with Marlon Brando and David Niven.

That kind of underscores how pointless remakes are these days. Back in 1988, if someone wanted to watch a movie from 1964 it was difficult, if not impossible. Today, if you want to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, you just go on your computer and rent it instantly for a couple bucks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Part of what sells remakes now is the very fact that you can rerelease library movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Half of the reason those are remakes is it is easier to just buy the rights to remake something than to pay out the nose when your original script with the same plot gets sued for plagiarism.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Half of the reason those are remakes is it is easier to just buy the rights to remake something than to pay out the nose when your original script with the same plot gets sued for plagiarism.

Now I want this to be the plot of a movie, with a tone similar to Bowfinger.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tanglewood1420 posted:

At least Dirty Rotten Scoundrels added a new twist on the script by turning the wealthy woman they're fighting over into another conman who was playing them all along, in the original she was exactly who she seemed to be and Brando's character actually ended up marrying her. I doubt that the new remake will be adding any novel twists that similarly elevate the script but I guess we'll see.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What the-

quote:

Variety said Wilson is also set to appear in a remake of Private Benjamin.

Goldie Hawn was nominated for an Oscar for the 1980 original

:psyduck:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Goldie Hawn was really loving good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just remember that movie being terrible

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The show was terrible. I don't really remember the movie but it was well-regarded.

Goldie Hawn was really good early in her career. She played off the ditsy blonde thing really well. But somewhere along the line she swallowed enough pills to actually turn her brain into the guacamole she always pretended it was.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A lot of people forget that second half of Private Benjamin where she goes to Europe after getting sexually harassed by a superior, and leaves the army to marry her doctor boyfriend (who turns out to be a communist), but leaves him at the altar because she's grown over the course of the film into an independent woman.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Screenplay by Nancy Meyers no less.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Screenplay by Nancy Meyers no less.

Also, nominated for an Oscar for Private Benjamin.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

computer parts posted:

It's a baptism.

If you care about ~comic canon~ then you'd know the joker was created in a similar fashion, but the point is that Harley is born again.

I think the biggest misstep was not going with Ayer's original idea of The Joker just showing up for 30 seconds to drop Harley off at the beginning and picking her up at the end.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One podcast I listened to posited that Suicide Squad would have been a great fit for Rob Zombie and while I'm not his biggest fan holy poo poo would Devil's Rejects: DC Edition be awesome.

Or at least literally anything that didn't end up having yet another comic book move whose climax is a blue light shooting up into the sky at night while CGI things smash together.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

We now enter a new era of entitled dolts suing over trailers:

quote:

My brother (who is a lawyer) and I are going to sue WB and DC for false advertising, misleading visual images and gaining a profit from us and millions others due to these acts. Our case has been accepted. We begin 11.08.16

Movie Trailers are like food menus, they give you a preview of what your gonna get. If you look at a McDonald's menu and you choose to get your favourite burger, presented/showcased in a nice picture with pickles, chicken, mild cheese(you're favourite, in-fact...that's the only reason you're getting this burger...because you love mild cheese). So you use your hard worked money to pay for this burger, you get the burger, but only to find out that...this isn't the burger you ordered. Yes it has pickles and chicken...but...it doesn't have mild cheese...it has regular cheese.

Suicide Squad trailers showcased several SPECIFIC Joker scenes that I had to pay for the whole movie just so that I can go watch those SPECIFIC SCENES that WB/DC had advertised in their trailers and TV spots. These scenes are: When Joker banged his head on his car window, when Joker says, ''let me show you my toys'', when Joker punchs the roof of his car, when Joker drops a bomb with his face all messed up and says, ''BYE BYE!''. Non of these scenes were in the movie. I drove 300 miles to London to go watch these specific scenes they had explicitly advertised in their TV ads...and they didn't show them to me. Adding to this, they were also 2 specific Katana scenes they advertised that were also the reason I wanted to go watch the movie. These scenes were: Katana's eyes going black, and a slow motion shot of her and her sword taking souls...in a smokey kind of style. These scenes were advertised several times in the 1st trailer and many TV ads...but they didn't show it to me in the movie. I wasted alot of money paying and travelling to go watch this movie because of these specific scenes they had advertised to me and all of us saying, ''hey, check out our preview! this will all be in our movie, come watch it on the 5th!!''. All lies. I told the theatre about this unjust act and said I didn't get what I came here to see...can I have my money back. They laughed at me and kicked me out. So I'm now taking this to court. I want my refund, the trauma of being embarrassed as I was being kicked out and people laughing at me for wanting my refund, and also the 160 pounds of fuel money I used to drive to London from Scotland.

If you advertise something...give me what you have advertised. Period. This is becoming a habbit with movie studios, showing epic scenes in trailers...but their never shown in the movies. It's unjust.

I just want to say, join me if you feel the same way. Let's stop this nonsense of false bullshitery...and don't let them bribe you with their ''deluxe premium special directors gold extended edition supreme cut'' nonsense. You should get what they advertised as their first theatre showing and what you have paid for based on what they have showed you in their advertisements.

Our court process will begin on 11/08/16 this week.

Edit: For those of you who seem to be baffled by me driving to London to watch a movie, let just remind you - Suicide Squad premiered in London. I also didn't get this ticket by winning some radio competition or through some charity. Top dollar was spent on this.

And also thank you to the very few who stand by me, that's more than enough to start making a difference.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You can sue anybody for anything. I can sue you for the color of your shirt causing me mental distress. Doesn't mean I'll win.

This isn't new.

quote:

Do Beautiful Women Really Come to Life When You Drink Bud Light? 1991, Richard Overton sued Anheuser-Busch for false and misleading advertising under Michigan State law. The complaint specifically referenced ads involving, among other things, fantasies of beautiful women in tropical settings that came to life for two men driving a Bud Light truck. In addition to two claims of false advertising, Mr. Overton included a third claim in his complaint in which he claimed to have suffered emotional distress, mental injury, and financial loss in excess of $10,0000 due to the misleading Bud Light ads. The court dismissed all claims.

http://www.the-injury-lawyer-directory.com/bud_light_lawsuit.html

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wait so you wanted MORE joker??

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

at first I thought people who sue over misleading trailers were entitled, but then I realized that we live in an era of commoditized pop culture. suicide squad is a product forced into existence by a company, rather than a work of art born naturally from the mind of a creative. thus, disgruntled consumers have every right to sue when the commercial product in question does not function as advertised.

I think it's good that people are suing, because (in theory) it will lead to more responsible advertising and filmmaking.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is about as stupid as the whiny nerds who tried to get the Better Business Bureau to shut down EA because they didn't like the ending of Mass Effect 3.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Next up: suing for false open trailers. Wait a minute that trailer is about a comedy not a horror movie! The beginning of the trailer tricked me as a consumer!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

at first I thought people who sue over misleading trailers were entitled, but then I realized that we live in an era of commoditized pop culture. suicide squad is a product forced into existence by a company, rather than a work of art born naturally from the mind of a creative. thus, disgruntled consumers have every right to sue when the commercial product in question does not function as advertised.

I think it's good that people are suing, because (in theory) it will lead to more responsible advertising and filmmaking.

Thing is that even if a commercial product in question functions exactly as advertised (superficial content), it may still not function as advertised (to be enjoyed).

What you're essentially proposing here is that you can control quality in "art born naturally from the mind of a creative" in the same way that you can, like, make sure there's no tacks in Cheerios. The critique of "a product forced into existence by a company" is exclusively that it doesn't fulfill this essential, fetishistic promise of the advertising, that it undermines the 'choice' of the consumer, as opposed to the systemic industrial forces which really do damage the environment and impact people's health.

The kicker is that "more responsible advertising and filmmaking" not only will not make films better, but it will also not lead to a freer environment for creatives.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah this is nothing new. A guy in New Zealand kicked up a stink because the trailer for the Jack Reacher film had a split second shot of a cliff exploding which wasn't in the final cut of the film and put in an official complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. Paramount's response was pretty much "Yeah stuff from trailers often doesn't make it into the film, that's just the way it works" but they also refunded his ticket price.
http://www.avclub.com/article/paramount-refunds-moviegoer-who-felt-tom-cruises-e-96082

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dear the president:

I was promised a movie called "The Woods"...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There probably is a point at which one could reasonably state that a movie was falsely advertised, but, yeah, none of this poo poo comes close. Dude drove 300 miles to specifically see "when Joker punchs the roof of his car." Gonna get laughed out of court.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

This is about as stupid as the whiny nerds who tried to get the Better Business Bureau to shut down EA because they didn't like the ending of Mass Effect 3.

I wish that had worked.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Movies manipulate therefore lie and lead you astray from your own expectations. Nothing can ever give you back that sense of satisfaction with your own idealised image of a movie like COLD HARD CASH.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I mean there probably is some threshold where a trailer and the movie it advertises are so different that you could reasonably have a case. I don't think Suicide Squad meets that threshold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the more important issue with that dumb trailer thing is what the hell is "mild cheese".

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Dream big

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember the Narnia movies? A pretty successful movie about 10 years ago followed by two disappointing sequels that completely failed to cash in on the LOTR craze?

It turns out they're not quite done with those.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Thing is that even if a commercial product in question functions exactly as advertised (superficial content), it may still not function as advertised (to be enjoyed).

What you're essentially proposing here is that you can control quality in "art born naturally from the mind of a creative" in the same way that you can, like, make sure there's no tacks in Cheerios. The critique of "a product forced into existence by a company" is exclusively that it doesn't fulfill this essential, fetishistic promise of the advertising, that it undermines the 'choice' of the consumer, as opposed to the systemic industrial forces which really do damage the environment and impact people's health.

The kicker is that "more responsible advertising and filmmaking" not only will not make films better, but it will also not lead to a freer environment for creatives.

I'm not sure where that line I put in bold is coming from.

I'm saying that there is a distinction between a franchise film and an artistic film. An artistic film is created and funded on the premise that the creatives will deliver something entertaining or otherwise enjoyable. A commoditized film is created to capitalize on a market opportunity regarding a specific brand/franchise that already exists. Advertising for each requires (or ought to require) fundamentally different approaches. In the latter case, you are drawing attention to specific points of interest within a brand and saying, "this, this and that will be in the movie."

For example, from the beginning, I don't think anyone doubted that Suicide Squad was a studio movie. So implicitly, from the beginning, consumers would approach the movie as a transaction with guaranteed payoff. Advertising began very early, and increasingly relied on exploiting the public's relationship and cultural reference to the Joker up till release. It was reasonable to expect, therefore, that the Joker--a character which is a commodity itself, since his presence in a work translates directly to value due to his brand recognition--would share an amount of screentime proportional to his visibility in the advertising. When he didn't--when the studio, a corporate entity, went back on the transaction--people understandably felt cheated. The quality of the film was irrelevant, because the consumers did not pay for the movie on the basis of its quality, but whether the advertised Joker character would be present in the movie as much as was advertised.

There is no such pretense in a film that isn't controlled end-to-end by a corporate entity with a profit motive. Therefore it doesn't make sense to sue the studio if a scene or character in an ad for an artistic film isn't present in the final cut. Because what's being sold isn't a collection of individual brand properties, which is what Suicide Squad and all the other franchise films are, but a complete whole unto itself.

In response to more responsible advertising and filmmaking not helping creatives, I never said it would help them. I just meant that it would increase the (perceived) quality of franchise films if their advertising was more truthful and the filmmaking was less incompetent. No one was walking into Suicide Squad expecting a masterpiece, they simply paid to see the Joker (a brand), Harley Quinn (a brand), and Will Smith (a brand) do their thing.

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 9, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Those guys really want to see a future where 'This footage is from a work in progress and may not be representative of the final film" is glaring at the bottom of every movie trailer like they have for E3 game footage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Suicide Squad trailer was better than Fantastic Fours. That was the worst I can think of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Remember the Narnia movies? A pretty successful movie about 10 years ago followed by two disappointing sequels that completely failed to cash in on the LOTR craze?

It turns out they're not quite done with those.

They should get the guy who directed God's Not Dead and have Kevin Sorbo play either Aslan or the chair.

• Locked thread