Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Question for Eurogoons. Of all the big German gothic festivals, which one is the best? Always wanted to visit one and I have a distant cousin, who is a musician, who lives not far from where Mera Luna is at.

It seems like really a tossup between Amphi and Mera Luna. WGT seems bleh and a bit overboard on the sceney side of things. Mera Luna might even be cheaper than Amphi since you're camping out on a runway... Just a reasonably priced flight into Frankfurt, train ride to Hildesheim/Hanover/Brunswick and you're there.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

There's a new Spray single! It's The Night Of The Long Knives, Charlie Brown. I expect nobody else here to care, but it sure made my evening.

Yeah,Spray are great! Ricardo Autobahn is awesome and I cannot get enough of Jenny's voice.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Prop Wash posted:

As far as Aesthetic Perfection goes, I found the song I liked, which is appropriate because it sounds more synthpoppy and much less like the rest of their work :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VzBA6Didx4 - Never Enough

The man can legitimately sing and croon with the best of them.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I listened to those AP songs again and clicked through to a new song/video and wow, his voice just keeps getting worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazXORYWiFA

It's when he yells, he turns into frogman.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

Question for Eurogoons. Of all the big German gothic festivals, which one is the best? Always wanted to visit one and I have a distant cousin, who is a musician, who lives not far from where Mera Luna is at.

It seems like really a tossup between Amphi and Mera Luna. WGT seems bleh and a bit overboard on the sceney side of things. Mera Luna might even be cheaper than Amphi since you're camping out on a runway... Just a reasonably priced flight into Frankfurt, train ride to Hildesheim/Hanover/Brunswick and you're there.

I haven't been to any of the other ones apart from Amphi, WGT and the now-dead Zita Rock in Berlin, but:

- I've always found Amphi to be extremely well-organised and to have excellent lineups across the board. The problem is it's kind of pricey, including food and drinks in the festival area.
- WGT is likewise really well organised and you get insanely much for your money, including free public transport for the duration of the festival. It's certainly not all about the scene, you can mostly even avoid that stuff if you want to and just watch the over 200 loving bands on offer. Or you can just visit poo poo like theaters or museums and it's really quite fantastic.
- M'era Luna is, as far as I know, well-regarded and always features at least one really big name as the headliner, but the set lengths for a lot of the bands seem kind of ridiculously short. Some bands get like 20 minutes.
- A festival I've been hearing plenty good things about is Nocturnal Culture Night in Leipzig. Never been there but people seem to love it.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 31, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, my new EP that was preceded by that Sade single thang is now finally out! Played a small concert on Saturday at my label's base in Paderborn, Germany and officially launched the very limited digipack CD version (my very first CD!) of it there. Look at this fucken beauty

If you're interested, you can listen to it and buy the digital copy at the label's brand-new Bandcamp site: https://differenttrains.bandcamp.com/releases

It'll be on Spotify and other internet stores sometime next month, until then the digital version will only be available through Different Trains.

Or if you want dat snazzy as all gently caress digipack, you can order one directly from me: https://desertm.bandcamp.com/merch/meri-limited-edition-digipak-cd

...or you could order it from DT, but I took nearly the entire batch with me to Finland, so probably better to do it through me.

Would love to hear what y'all think about it! Crazy to think it took me just about two years to get the loving thing done. I did start performing live, released a totally separate single (Lunta) and started several other projects (including the improvised dark ambient thing Kolmiotaajuus) in between, though, so I guess it's not that wild that it took a while. I want to start working on my second LP next, here's hoping it won't take an eternity. Probably will, though, because I also have plenty of other projects lined up.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

After seeing the possible new Tear Garden news, I was wondering if anyone has been keeping up on cEvin Key and friends and know if he's put out anything worth giving a listen to lately? I used to grab all the subcon releases but fell off after a while. I'm listening to Effector for the first time in a long bit, and I think it is still one of the greatest electronic albums I've heard. I have no idea how Key gets everything sounding so warm and organic. Well, used to at least. I thought the last few Skinny Puppy albums sounded pretty cold and sterile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QaOhP60QaI

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

After seeing the possible new Tear Garden news, I was wondering if anyone has been keeping up on cEvin Key and friends and know if he's put out anything worth giving a listen to lately? I used to grab all the subcon releases but fell off after a while. I'm listening to Effector for the first time in a long bit, and I think it is still one of the greatest electronic albums I've heard. I have no idea how Key gets everything sounding so warm and organic. Well, used to at least. I thought the last few Skinny Puppy albums sounded pretty cold and sterile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QaOhP60QaI

I jumped on that Tear Garden stuff immediately, and am a horrible person for neglecting to post it here when they dropped that information on Facebook. I pre-ordered the new LP and will probably go back for signed vinyl of Have A Nice Trip. It's a great record, but honestly I keep throwing money at them in hope they give Last Man to Fly a nice 180g release.

I don't think Key and company have done much of anything since the last Puppy tour, but I'm sure Key could pull a platEAU and Download record out of his stoner rear end when he needs more weed money but nothing definite.

Effector is probably my favorite LP from that side project, although FiXeR wasn't terrible if you haven't heard that one. It was on the second vault release I think? He released LingAM in 2013 under the Download name, and it was ... pretty OK.
Download - Blotch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npgxh8UI15M

Key also did a platEAU release under the last From the Vault set. GORT Spacebar was pretty neat, but honestly it's hard to tell where that sound ends and the stuff he did on Download's Helicopter begins in my opinion.
platEAU - GORT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4tIgt4HWXE

There were a couple "dub" releases with Twilight Circus that were pretty OK if you're into the dubby :420: sound.
Dubcon - First Contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ0n6loY9kc

Ogre has never been super active on social media. He shows up at horror cons and is probably appearing in some straight to streaming-DVD films, but nothing but rumors about new solo material.

Phil Western put all of his stuff up on Bandcamp recently for $50, but that price has since gone up since.

I'd love to see more Skinny Puppy releases, but I wonder if those two are even into it as much now. I liked Weapon but I totally get the cold and sterile vibe. After GWOTR their albums have increasingly given me the idea of an email collaboration. I think those two tolerate each other from a "We're going to work together and make this thing" perspective, but I'm not sure they enjoy working with each other. After the last live show I saw (their second tour with just them and Youth Code) I don't know if I /[need]/ to see them again unless it's something batshit nostalgic like "We're gonna do Too Dark Park and Last Rights front to back" because the setlist from the last show pretty much killed it.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 3, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are The Secret Experiment and Have a Nice Trip actually good? I didn't know those albums existed until the recent news about crowdfunding a new album. I tried to find reviews of them and they seem fairly mixed. I didn't like Crystal Mrear end very much outside of a few songs.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They are not as organic as Last Man to Fly or Tired Eyes Slowly Burning for sure. I enjoy them for sure, but they definitely have more of an long distance collaboration feel. Both of them are way more electronic oriented than the early material, which makes sense as they were part of the From the Vault series.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

poo poo y'all I'm seeing Kraftwerk in an hour and it's the loving Radio-Activity show. Radio-Activity is like in my top 5 all-tme favorite albums ever and I'm starting to flip out :supaburn:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

poo poo y'all I'm seeing Kraftwerk in an hour and it's the loving Radio-Activity show. Radio-Activity is like in my top 5 all-tme favorite albums ever and I'm starting to flip out :supaburn:

aaaargh so jealous. Also totally agree about Radio-Activity!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

1. Kraftwerk is the only show I've ever fallen asleep at. Blame 16 minutes or so of Autobahn.

2. The live mix of Radioactivity is loving incredible.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

1. Kraftwerk is the only show I've ever fallen asleep at. Blame 16 minutes or so of Autobahn.

I've seen them play their "normal" set live and Radioactivity was amazing and moving (if you love it as much as I do), but I didn't manage to get to any of the full album shows.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nice, enjoy! I think we're going to try to get down to bilbao for one of the albums, but unfortunately Radio-Activity sold out a long time ago

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

Help, this famously monotonous long song is going for too long!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I'm so jealous of everyone who's seen kraftwerk :(

Let us know how it goes Cat-man

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kraftwerk are the loving masters. Not much you can do about it. Radio-Activity in its entirety live was a bizarre experience, it's so differently structured compared to just about anything else they've done it felt completely removed from the rest of the show (in a good way). The current live version of the title track is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music ever, but I actually thought its epicness and intensity kind of hurt the Radio-Activity block since the rest of the album is more like a weird lullaby / dream. Our seats were above the stage (great for seeing just what everyone is doing!) and that combined with the 3D visuals at times had the effect that it looked like the band members were maybe as tall as my fingers and playing in a box like a couple of feet away from me. Surreal. I only had that feeling during the RA bit though.

I'd seen Kraftwerk twice before but it hadn't hit me before just how loving absurd parts of their acts are. Especially The Robots is just delightfully silly - here we are in our hundreds, sitting in the opera house of Oslo and watching four robots painfully slowly simulate something akin to dancing with projections showing said robots doing the exact same thing and a seizure-inducing lightshow in the background. It just felt really absurd. And fantastic!

All that said, two hours and ten minutes of Kraftwerk sitting down with no neck support was quite a lot. It was a long-rear end concert, that's for sure. And yes, the current version of Autobahn is kind of too long. They've played shorter versions of it before. I also wasn't really feeling the current version of Computer Love even though it's one of my favorite KW tracks. It was slightly jumbled soundwise and Hütter sang rather sloppily and out of rhythm at times, I felt.

Anyway, today I'm playing my own little show here in Oslo and tomorrow we're going to the Techno Pop show :getin:

Also I'm really liking Oslo! Cool city and definitely not at all as expensive as I'd thought, although that has to do with the fact that the Norwegian krone is slightly down right now. At the moment it doesn't seem much more expensive than, say, Stockholm, which in turn is just slightly more expensive than my hometown, Helsinki.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 5, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

I'd love to see more Skinny Puppy releases, but I wonder if those two are even into it as much now. I liked Weapon but I totally get the cold and sterile vibe. After GWOTR their albums have increasingly given me the idea of an email collaboration. I think those two tolerate each other from a "We're going to work together and make this thing" perspective, but I'm not sure they enjoy working with each other. After the last live show I saw (their second tour with just them and Youth Code) I don't know if I /[need]/ to see them again unless it's something batshit nostalgic like "We're gonna do Too Dark Park and Last Rights front to back" because the setlist from the last show pretty much killed it.

I basically feel the same way. I was so excited for them to get back together but by and large the stuff they do now isn't as good as the stuff they did before the breakup. I feel like OhGr and Skinny Puppy used to have their own distinct sounds and now they've merged into something that's basically the same and less interesting.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I basically feel the same way. I was so excited for them to get back together but by and large the stuff they do now isn't as good as the stuff they did before the breakup. I feel like OhGr and Skinny Puppy used to have their own distinct sounds and now they've merged into something that's basically the same and less interesting.

I think it also really speaks to Dwayne's contribution to the group. The new sound is often, to my ears, sterile and unimaginative, the exact opposite of the imaginative and bizarre sounds they were getting on records like Last Rights or VIVIsectVI.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
e: Or, you know, this.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Skinny Puppy's at its best when the music is grimy and abrasive. The colder and cleaner the music sounds, the more it sounds like Ogre's vocals are being imported in from some other band, and the clash doesn't work as well IMO. But Too Dark Park and VIVISect VI are fantastic.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 6, 2016

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Kraftwerk are the loving masters. Not much you can do about it. Radio-Activity in its entirety live was a bizarre experience, it's so differently structured compared to just about anything else they've done it felt completely removed from the rest of the show (in a good way). The current live version of the title track is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music ever, but I actually thought its epicness and intensity kind of hurt the Radio-Activity block since the rest of the album is more like a weird lullaby / dream. Our seats were above the stage (great for seeing just what everyone is doing!) and that combined with the 3D visuals at times had the effect that it looked like the band members were maybe as tall as my fingers and playing in a box like a couple of feet away from me. Surreal. I only had that feeling during the RA bit though.

I'd seen Kraftwerk twice before but it hadn't hit me before just how loving absurd parts of their acts are. Especially The Robots is just delightfully silly - here we are in our hundreds, sitting in the opera house of Oslo and watching four robots painfully slowly simulate something akin to dancing with projections showing said robots doing the exact same thing and a seizure-inducing lightshow in the background. It just felt really absurd. And fantastic!

All that said, two hours and ten minutes of Kraftwerk sitting down with no neck support was quite a lot. It was a long-rear end concert, that's for sure. And yes, the current version of Autobahn is kind of too long. They've played shorter versions of it before. I also wasn't really feeling the current version of Computer Love even though it's one of my favorite KW tracks. It was slightly jumbled soundwise and Hütter sang rather sloppily and out of rhythm at times, I felt.

Anyway, today I'm playing my own little show here in Oslo and tomorrow we're going to the Techno Pop show :getin:

Also I'm really liking Oslo! Cool city and definitely not at all as expensive as I'd thought, although that has to do with the fact that the Norwegian krone is slightly down right now. At the moment it doesn't seem much more expensive than, say, Stockholm, which in turn is just slightly more expensive than my hometown, Helsinki.

Man, I bet that was a great show!! I don't know if it's a very cool opinion, but imo The Man-Machine is still sonically incredible and it's the record I'd most like to see them do live in its entirety.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm a fan of this plan.

https://twitter.com/RodneyAnon/status/761735858844295168

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PinkoBastard posted:

Man, I bet that was a great show!! I don't know if it's a very cool opinion, but imo The Man-Machine is still sonically incredible and it's the record I'd most like to see them do live in its entirety.

Liking any Kraftwerk album is always The Coolest Opinion.

I figured going to either the Man-Machine or Computer World shows would basically be a bit of a waste since they play most of the stuff on those records anyway. Lo and behold, at the Radio-Activity show they played everything off MM apart from Metropolis and everything off CW apart from Pocket Calculator. So yeah.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 6, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Skinny Puppy's at its best when the music is grimy and abrasive. The colder and cleaner the music sounds, the more it sounds like Ogre's vocals are being imported in from some other band, and the clash doesn't work as well IMO. But Too Dark Park and VIVISect VI are fantastic.
I haven't heard it phrased before, but ... that's it, exactly. And it's interesting because Youth Code and Cardinal Noire are doing that abrasive sound and I like their music more than modern Skinny Puppy.

Oh I learned that Cardinal Noire is Finnish, too. A lot of good electro-industrial coming out of Finland right now ...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

I haven't heard it phrased before, but ... that's it, exactly. And it's interesting because Youth Code and Cardinal Noire are doing that abrasive sound and I like their music more than modern Skinny Puppy.

Oh I learned that Cardinal Noire is Finnish, too. A lot of good electro-industrial coming out of Finland right now ...

One dude from Cardinal Noire actually posts in this very thread from time to time ;) (not me)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

One dude from Cardinal Noire actually posts in this very thread from time to time ;) (not me)
:captainpop:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Done! But we do also have another great summer hit that qualifies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn_VZCeKjoo

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I agree with many that Skinny Puppy don't sound quite the same as their 83-93 albums, however I'd argue that their sound has always been a reflection of mainstream music from whatever given time-period it was recorded. The gated-reverb big drum-machines and syncopated arpeggios of the early 80s, the rock-style production of the early 90s. Their last three albums have branched off into weird modern-pop production of micro-drums, less reverb, clean production, modular-synth novelty, etc... and I'm not so sure one can pin the shift of style on them simply not being in the sane room during recording.

I would also argue that Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, (dare I say NIN) have almost always tried to write music reflective of the times (or even precognitive in of electronic music trends), however I DO NOT see most smaller indie bands doing that. Most bands like Youth Code, Dead When I Found Her, Necro Facility, etc... I see attempting to replicate that 1983-1993 sound. Nothing wrong with that. Hell, they're fantastic at that! But I don't believe they are even attempting to accomplish the same thing many industrial bands originally did, which was taking current musical tropes and turning it back on itself.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'd say that on their latest albums both DWIFH and Necro Facility have gone above and beyond just replicating their idols.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

First two DWIFH albums reminded me more of Seabound than pre-2000s sound heh.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Skinny Puppy also lost Rave for the reunion and he produced all their earlier work. I kinda wish they'd get him back.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

I would also argue that Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, (dare I say NIN) have almost always tried to write music reflective of the times (or even precognitive in of electronic music trends)...

The problem is all these guys are old as gently caress now. I'm in my mid-30s and I'm almost completely disconnected with the pop and music zeitgeist, and most of the big industrial acts are a generation beyond me. You can tell they were really trying with The Greater Wrong of the Right and Welt with Ogre's chopped up rapping, but after the fan reaction to that they seemed to just go gently caress it and went to churning out some paint-by-the-numbers Skinny Puppy albums.

Frozen Sky was the best post-Process stuff Skinny Puppy does, and I think it killed everyone inside when they teased the reunion with that and then came out with break-dancing goths and TGWotR.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Cleaner posted:

But I don't believe they are even attempting to accomplish the same thing many industrial bands originally did, which was taking current musical tropes and turning it back on itself.

Industrial hasn't been experimental since like 1986 or whenever it turned into bad dance music so this doesn't seem very surprising.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a topic: Industrial music that sucks.

I'll start.

Icon of Coil.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wikkheiser posted:

I'll start.

Icon of Coil.

Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails

e: hell, basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 8, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

e: hell, basically anything after 87 or 88 is usually bad, or not really industrial anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wikkheiser posted:

I'll start.

Icon of Coil.

KMFDM

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

A human heart posted:

Oh. You're one of those....

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wikkheiser posted:

I'll start.

Icon of Coil.

Every single band sounding like Suicide Commando is what stopped me from listening to much industrial music for almost a decade, so all those bands. Especially Combichrist. (I like Suicide Commando.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

Probably around 1979. The big mistakes were:

* drum machines. 20 minutes of someone hitting something is interesting; 20 minutes of TR-808 is not.
* going disco
* 12" mixes
* MIDI
* samplers, not just making your own tapeloops with scissors and sticky tape

The only band to have survived all of these: Severed Heads.

I do admire SPK saying "yeah, we're selling out, the old stuff's played out and we want some money. Got a loving problem." then actually making the money.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The problem is all these guys are old as gently caress now.

I did like this rant from Severed Heads:

Tom Ellard posted:

Six years ago I took stock of the vampires and creeps that populate the 'independent' music industry and figured that there was nothing there for me anymore. The whole thing could blow it out its copious arse.

Thing is, music industry isn't music, which I love and need and would still make if the last person on earth. So that wasn't going to stop.

When we closed shop it signalled a whole bunch of new people in my life. Unlike the last lot they seemed bright and caring and to be really into what we had done. It was great to have new family but after a while it dawned on me that we'd swapped our vampires for undertakers. These new guys throw a hell of a funeral! They like funerals so much they dig up the old bones over and over again.

I love these guys, but they get all anxious if you mention any year past 1980 something and, you know, I ain't dead yet. So I just did my music. The weird thing being that I started to get jealous of my old self. Man, that guy got all the praise, the smug bastard.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Every single band sounding like Suicide Commando is what stopped me from listening to much industrial music for almost a decade, so all those bands. Especially Combichrist. (I like Suicide Commando.)

loving Cookie Monster vocals are an immediate "NEXT!" from me. Even Severed Heads didn't descend that far.