Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A good Man. Great weapon, possibly too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A site that hosts the game but didn't make it getting the DMCA notice a day after the game comes out? That doesn't make much sense to me, seems more likely that it's one of those dudes that goes around sending fake copyright warnings.

Anyway, AM2R is really awesome, it lives up to the quality of the Metroid series and you should play it. It's hard to think of better fangames that managed to be seen through to completion.

Dabir posted:

Uhh... thread title OK?

I'm not seeing any problems here.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

im glad we finally have a thread dedicated to the metal men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCRZroEOvw

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I call shenanigans! One of those metal men is a woman!

God drat SJWs.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

When you use his own weapon against him, and he dies? That's my favorite.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Most people die when you use their own weapons against them. If you had a knife and I took it from you, you would be vulnerable to that knife.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's no shame in being weak to metal blade.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hell, if anything it's unusual not to be.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blackheart posted:

There were also people claiming there's some rear end in a top hat issuing fake DMCAs going around so I hope it wasn't real.

Yea they said they'll be investigating it tomorrow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Metal Man wields metal gears because Shadow Man got all the dominant genes, and he got all the recessive ones.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metal Man wields metal gears because Shadow Man got all the dominant genes, and he got all the recessive ones.

Mods?

... Mods???

MOOOOOOOOOODS!!! :argh:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It is true that Shadow Man is a lot cooler than Metal Man, but then again he's cooler than almost any robot.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
I'm starting to suspect that Metal Man isn't even a real doctor!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And now all the download links for the Metroid 2 remake got taken down by Nintendo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, it has a torrent up last time I checked.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

And now all the download links for the Metroid 2 remake got taken down by Nintendo.

I get the idea of protection of an IP, but this seems like an aggressively terrible thing to do and it makes Nintendo look pretty bad for doing it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

nintendo probably does not give a gently caress what gaijin think of them to be fair

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

nintendo probably does not give a gently caress what gaijin think of them to be fair

I get the feeling that'll work out well for them as a long term business strategy if it's true

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm mad as heck about a company putting its foot down over its IP.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TheKingofSprings posted:

I get the idea of protection of an IP, but this seems like an aggressively terrible thing to do and it makes Nintendo look pretty bad for doing it.

Nintendo doesn't want a fangame making Federation Farce look like an even bigger joke than it already is.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they had archive.org take down the complete Nintendo Power archives too, nintendo's on a roll with dumb poo poo on the internet

i heard metal man is next

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I choose to believe that my good friend Nintendo waited a whole day or two after release to properly allow the game to disseminate the internet. Can't think of a good reason for the delay otherwise.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

Oh piss off, there's a fucktillion goddamn fans games or romhacks out there, its not ok for Nintendo to pull this poo poo other than them being complete loving idiots.

Honestly given that Federation Force is coming out soon I can ALMOST see a reason for the Metroid 2 takedown, but not the Nintendo power poo poo, that archive was up for almost 5 months, why take it down now?

quote:

I choose to believe that my good friend Nintendo waited a whole day or two after release to properly allow the game to disseminate the internet. Can't think of a good reason for the delay otherwise.

Its possible, they could have squashed it when the demo came out but instead waited for the full release, I mean its out there now they can't stop people from constantly sharing it and spreading it like what happened with the SoR Remake.

Its funny really, Sega hires people who make that make really good fan games to work on the actual IP, Nintendo DMCAs a fan game, guess that's another thing that Nintendon't. :newlol:

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I don't even like Metroid that much (I appreciate the design, but its just not for me) but now I feel compelled to get this.

At least Capcom seems chill enough about mega man stuff (prolly cause they dont care)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WDIIA posted:

I don't even like Metroid that much (I appreciate the design, but its just not for me) but now I feel compelled to get this.

At least Capcom seems chill enough about mega man stuff (prolly cause they dont care)

Capcom had that Megaman vs SF for one of their anniversaries and I think they even spoke and helped out someone making a fan game, I forget the name, its the one that has a zero boss fight(Megaman Unlimited I think?)

And if I'm not mistaken some of the folks working on the Resident Evil 2 fan remake are now working are not working on the actual remake, so someone at Capcom is quite aware of fan stuff, ultimately fan stuff, good fan stuff helps keep your IP alive more than anything really, poo poo people are STILL making Doom wads.

I think Nintendo's is just generally incompetent when it comes to fan stuff.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm surprised Nintendo even still had the rights to pull down the Nintendo Power archive given that they eventually completely broke away from Nintendo of America and became independent before closing down. You'd think Nintendo Power would have had their own rights to earlier issues rather than Nintendo.

But then, Nintendo is the kind of backwards company who will attempt to sue you for even using the word "Nintendo" casually on the Internet so I'm expecting a court order any minute now.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Oh piss off, there's a fucktillion goddamn fans games or romhacks out there, its not ok for Nintendo to pull this poo poo other than them being complete loving idiots.

Honestly given that Federation Force is coming out soon I can ALMOST see a reason for the Metroid 2 takedown, but not the Nintendo power poo poo, that archive was up for almost 5 months, why take it down now?

Its possible, they could have squashed it when the demo came out but instead waited for the full release, I mean its out there now they can't stop people from constantly sharing it and spreading it like what happened with the SoR Remake.

Its funny really, Sega hires people who make that make really good fan games to work on the actual IP, Nintendo DMCAs a fan game, guess that's another thing that Nintendon't. :newlol:

Sega did the same exact thing with the fanmade streets of rage remake. But yeah any company that isnt square enix seems to always wait until the thing is already out to do something, and with how much nintendo monitors thier poo poo online i doubt they didn't know about it until now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm surprised Nintendo even still had the rights to pull down the Nintendo Power archive given that they eventually completely broke away from Nintendo of America and became independent before closing down. You'd think Nintendo Power would have had their own rights to earlier issues rather than Nintendo.

NOA licensed the magazine to Future US for the last few years of its run but the brand itself has always been owned by Nintendo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Star Man posted:

I'm sure Nintendo is 100% legally in the right when you get down to it, but it's still darkly funny that they cease&desist a fangame the day of the series's completely unacknowledged anniversary.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tengames posted:

Sega did the same exact thing with the fanmade streets of rage remake. But yeah any company that isnt square enix seems to always wait until the thing is already out to do something, and with how much nintendo monitors thier poo poo online i doubt they didn't know about it until now.

Yea I said that in my post, they waited till it was out when they could have squashed it earlier, they seem to be a lot more chill about it now though given the workshop for Genesis games on steam, there's all sorts of crazy modifications there.

Which of course begs the question from me, what's the difference between a fan game and a mod that alters the game so drat much that it might as well be an entirely different game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AM2R only got DMCAs taking down download links on other sites, no direct demand was sent out for its production to be halted. This has been confirmed by people involved in the project.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They also removed the download from the game's homepage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Augus posted:

AM2R only got DMCAs taking down download links on other sites, no direct demand was sent out for its production to be halted. This has been confirmed by people involved in the project.

The actual hosts you could download the game from have been taken down by Nintendo themselves.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A good poster posted:

They also removed the download from the game's homepage.

I'm guessing that was a decision made by the AM2R guys, they probably looked at it and said "well this is useless now" and scrapped it momentarily since the download links were all dead. The AM2R website doesn't actually directly host any downloads, they were all just links to other sites.

The details aren't all cleared up yet but basically they're saying the project isn't dead.

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 9, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Nintendo doesn't want a fangame making Federation Farce look like an even bigger joke than it already is.

Federation Force would've been better received if it was Republic Commando with a coat of Metroid paint.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

look up how copyright law works in the US

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God drat Archie are good now

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dabir posted:

I dunno, seems like business as usual for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

look up how copyright law works in the US

No.

quote:

It would be if that comic was still around, instead it got canceled very abruptly at issue 55.