Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Wait until you fight Hyper Garuga. I solod him in thirty minutes (well... I spent 10 of those trying to break his dumb back) and died once :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm glad nobody has spoiled what exactly happens after the Glavenus fight in Village because uh...that's certainly a thing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Finally picked up Generations after only just getting into G rank in 4U. I pretty much used IG and Dual Swords for the whole game last time. Can someone sell me on a different weapon? Preferably something where you're still moving at more than a walking pace with it drawn.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm glad nobody has spoiled what exactly happens after the Glavenus fight in Village because uh...that's certainly a thing.

Same I just did it this morning and uh...well.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

lenoon posted:

Finally picked up Generations after only just getting into G rank in 4U. I pretty much used IG and Dual Swords for the whole game last time. Can someone sell me on a different weapon? Preferably something where you're still moving at more than a walking pace with it drawn.

Dual Swords is better than ever in Gens, IG gets some interesting stuff despite the damage nerf. Just explore the different styles :eng101:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta say, now that guides for unlockables are translated and I'm not being babied through MHG by people who somehow play more MH than there are hours in the day I gotta appreciate the sheer volume of content in the game

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Jesus christ, beating the Plesioth urgent unlocks so much stuff. Time to farm HR Death Stench, I guess.

I still really feel like I should be going through every single older quest, but I've decided to stop being so hung up on Deviants and such for now and try to open up new stuff. So excited to fight Lavasioth again, especially with this gameplay.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

lenoon posted:

SNS might be a good choice -- fast attacks, great for element and status, and insanely good in this game. Striker Style in particular is really popular because all three SNS Hunter Arts are really really good.

Also Hunting Horn! The new double-note system for the Horn is awesome and encourages aggressive play. With the Movement Up song on -- which should always be on -- your movement speed with weapon drawn is the fastest in the game. Plus you can buff your teammates while wrecking monster faces. The Hunting Arts are kinda crappy, but using Aerial or Adept Style with HH is fun since you can queue up multiple notes during aerial/adept dodge combos and get songs out faster.

LS is great in this game too, if that appeals. The Spirit Gauge was buffed and Adept Style works absolutely brilliantly with this weapon, you'll feel like a dodging samurai badass in no time. Striker Style is good too as the LS Hunting Arts are all powerful and fun to use.

Best thing to do, as ever, is to watch GaijinHunter's videos on each weapon for MHGen and give things a try. Every weapon is viable in this game and with 14 weapons * 4 styles you have 56 ways to play. Plus Prowler which is a new weapon with a unique progression system for your cats (and a well-built cat is just as powerful as a hunter!). Try everything, IMO, with so much variation you never know what unexpected combo might click with you :)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

lenoon posted:

Now that Adept dodging is a thing, ranged weapons are easier to get into now than ever. Bow allows for a ton of mobility when drawn so try that. LBG works too. HBG is not very mobile but once you get used to that Adept dodge you can siege fire all day erry day.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I don't know I can ever go back to non-Adept dodging.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it worth getting sense -10 on guard gunlance? Seems like keeping monster aggro would be super useful in multiplayer hunts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

dromer posted:

Is it worth getting sense -10 on guard gunlance? Seems like keeping monster aggro would be super useful in multiplayer hunts.

I mean it's not bad if you're not losing artillery, guard+, etc to do it. Multiplayer hunts though I hardly have a problem with them running away. It's the solo stuff with my cats that is annoying :argh:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Guys help, I made the saxophone. It has meh raw and meh green sharpness but the status immunity is absurd and it does so much poison.

I fought Hyper Rubber Chicken with it and he spent the whole fight trying to flash and poison me to no avail. I can't go back to other weapons now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fuzz posted:

Wow, Astalos sure is something.

Really disappointed there's no Narga Charge Blade at all. When the hell do I get to fight Gore so I can get some non-raw CBs that are worth half a poo poo?

You just fought Astalos so you can make the lightning ele phial CB.

Not sure what you are asking tbqh since a nargacuga CB would be an affinity/raw CB if it existed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

That uh, sure was an ending.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I was wondering what the big deal about the village ending was until I actually saw it.

uh

pnumoman posted:

You guys were right, the ending really is....something.

EightFlyingCars posted:

That ending really is something... unexpected.

Calaveron posted:

I don't think any other game would've been able to pull off an ending cutscene like that

Wafflz posted:

The ending

Your Computer posted:

You guys kept talk about the ending being.. something else, but uh.. I did not expect that.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

so the ending is uh.....

it sure is

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This is a Good Thread™ :kimchi:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Hi Monster Hunter thread. I'm a total newbie to this series who decided to pick up MH4U on a whim because I saw it available for cheap. I've made it to 4-star quests and seem to be doing okay so far with a long sword, but I had a few random questions that I was hoping you all might be able to answer.

- Am I right in thinking that skills on armor are more important than their Defense values? I've been using Jaggi armor since 2-star because Speed Sharpening rules and I haven't found anything that gives a Defense upgrade substantial enough for me to justify ditching it. Does Defense actually make a big difference?
- How do I find materials for Palico gear, or for that matter, unlock any Palico gear for forging outside of the starting set? I just got my first sub-Palico.
- How in the gently caress does anyone use a hammer? I really enjoyed using it in its training mission and I want to use it in quests, but it has zero range and I really don't like being in the monster's face all the time.
- What's all this talk I see in guides about "low-rank", "high-rank," and "G-rank" gear? What does that mean?
- How many stars is the final "main" quest, as in the one that makes the credits roll when you beat it? Just trying to gauge my progress.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, what exactly do weapon elements actually do and what does the number mean? I guess things like poison or sleep inflict those ailments, but is there any way to tell if, say, a "water" weapon is actually doing anything helpful?

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 9, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hi Monster Hunter thread. I'm a total newbie to this series who decided to pick up MH4U on a whim because I saw it available for cheap. I've made it to 4-star quests and seem to be doing okay so far with a long sword, but I had a few random questions that I was hoping you all might be able to answer.

- Am I right in thinking that skills on armor are more important than their Defense values? I've been using Jaggi armor since 2-star because Speed Sharpening rules and I haven't found anything that gives a Defense upgrade substantial enough for me to justify ditching it. Does Defense actually make a big difference?
- How do I find materials for Palico gear, or for that matter, unlock any Palico gear for forging outside of the starting set? I just got my first sub-Palico.
- How in the gently caress does anyone use a hammer? I really enjoyed using it in its training mission and I want to use it in quests, but it has zero range and I really don't like being in the monster's face all the time.
- What's all this talk I see in guides about "low-rank", "high-rank," and "G-rank" gear? What does that mean?
- How many stars is the final "main" quest, as in the one that makes the credits roll when you beat it? Just trying to gauge my progress.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, what exactly do weapon elements actually do and what does the number mean? I guess things like poison or sleep inflict those ailments, but is there any way to tell if, say, a "water" weapon is actually doing anything helpful?

Low/High/G rank refers to difficulty tiers. Monsters will hit harder, gain new attack patterns, and have higher rarity carves. High/G rank armor has higher starting defense and tends to have more and better skills attached to them.

Armor skills tend to be more important than defense as you already have guessed. When to upgrade depends on how comfortable you are with the extra damage you receive, or if you find an armor skill you like better.

MH4U is technically the expansion to MH4 that the west never got, so there are actually two credit rolls. 6* is the end of the vanilla game, and has some high rank content as well. 7-10* is all expansion and lies somewhere between high and G rank in difficulty.

Elemental/status damage has a chance to proc every hit, and adds extra damage depending on the susceptibility of the monster. Weaknesses are typically straightforward; e.g. fire monsters are very weak to water, ice monsters are very weak to fire but there are occasionally surprises.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 9, 2016

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

dragon enthusiast posted:

Elemental/status damage has a chance to proc every hit, and adds extra damage depending on the susceptibility of the monster. Weaknesses are typically straightforward; e.g. fire monsters are very weak to water, ice monsters are very weak to fire but there are occasionally surprises.

Just a minor correction, elemental damage will count with every hit. Status damage only has a chance of being inflicted every hit, and won't actually inflict the status, but will instead fill up an invisible bar until you've caused enough status damage to trigger it. This is why status is really really good on things like insect glaives and dual blades, which hit really really fast.

As for hammers, if you don't like being in a monster's face all the time, well...it's not really for you. You'll want to be in the monster's face a lot, but hits in other areas aren't entirely wasted; hammer (and I think hunting horn, generally any impact damage) will steadily exhaust a monster more and more, getting them to the point where they're weary and drooling and needing to eat something sooner. The stun is the biggest advantage of hammers, though, so you'll want to learn to get used to being in a monster's face to get its greatest strength going.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Remember that the goal with hammer is to maximize hits to the face rather than exclusively smash the head. My personal philosophy is get off the third hit of the triple pound or the superpound in a safe fashion. For triple pound I'll preemptively start off the combo if I know the head will be in the right place by the time I finish, while I'll use one of the lower leveled charges if I don't think I can get in a superpound safely. LV1/2 being able to combo into triple pound gets you big damage when the opportunity arises.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rascyc posted:

You just fought Astalos so you can make the lightning ele phial CB.

Not sure what you are asking tbqh since a nargacuga CB would be an affinity/raw CB if it existed.

Oh I know, but I'm still using a Petrified 4 and it was a slog to take out LR Astalos with it. Meanwhile my Hidden Breaker chumps the poo poo out of anything which doesn't need a tail cut.

dragon enthusiast posted:

LV1/2 being able to combo into triple pound gets you big damage when the opportunity arises.

This. One of the reasons I love Aerial is that LV3 is still the uppercut, so you can golfswing right after it to stagger and then jump right into their face and do the aerial A double slam and pretty much always land it. Just shits damage and stun all over them.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 9, 2016

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I just spent the entire fight against the Glavenus preparing myself for what the ending could possibly be, and I still wasn't ready for it.

Also, that fight was tough as poo poo. Are all high rank quests like that? I don't know how well I'd do against every boss being that tough.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vernatio posted:

I just spent the entire fight against the Glavenus preparing myself for what the ending could possibly be, and I still wasn't ready for it.

Also, that fight was tough as poo poo. Are all high rank quests like that? I don't know how well I'd do against every boss being that tough.

Is Village Glavenus a secret High Rank? I know sometimes that's a thing.

But yeah, High Rank monsters in general:
Have more HP
Hit harder
Hit more often
Have a couple new moves, or new variations of existing moves (weird delays to fake you out, new combos, and such).

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The level 1 and 2 charge moves are very good at letting you close the distance to a monster's face. They cover a lot of ground, and they come out very, very fast, particularly the level 2 uppercut move. After either of these attacks, you can dodge out of the way and move to safety if you need to, or if you have an opening you can transition right into your X-X-X combo.

As far as being in the monster's face goes, you'll get a lot more comfortable with it as you get more familiar with each monster's tells and patterns. There are some monster attacks where you can pound on their heads for days and they'll never touch you. You just have to identify which ones those are, and that'll come naturally with practice.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked hunting horn to start with. No idea why. It's amazing!

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

So I've just unlocked HR Meownster Hunters. How exactly do I tell what's HR or LR there? Is it the star number?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

lenoon posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked hunting horn to start with. No idea why. It's amazing!

Hunting horn rules but watch out for how holding a direction affects what attack you do. Neutral X and neutral X+A are very different than direction + X or direction + X + A. Getting used to its wacky angles of attack takes time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Squidtentacle posted:

So I've just unlocked HR Meownster Hunters. How exactly do I tell what's HR or LR there? Is it the star number?

You hit right/left to switch between low and high.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Squidtentacle posted:

It's a separate list, push Right

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squidtentacle posted:

Hit left and right to switch between LR and HR. They're entirely different selections. I'm not sure exactly what the stars correspond to; rarer stuff showing up maybe?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I figure that the stars are like trade odds stars. But I'm not entirely sure what those indicate either...

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Anyone got ideas for farming dragonbone relics?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Something for new folks to remember, too, is that there are some items you won't get or will have a much harder time getting, if you're not using a cutting weapon vs. a blunt one. Or vice versa. So try to see if you like HH or hammers as well as IG or DB or whatever. Having a good updated weapon of each type (blunt & cutting) is really handy when you're doing solo work.

When you're grouped, pick whatever you like. There will usually be someone who can cut off a tail if it's not you, and there's usually someone with a blunt weapon who can stun and exhaust monsters if you're running a LS or whatever. Blunt's great for shellbreaking/Uragaan's dumb chin/etc.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

herpa derp derp, thanks guys

The stars correspond to what kinds of things you'll see there. I notice that I'll see multiple monster zones for the highest star count, for example, and if it's only one or two it's generally just gathering zones.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

scaterry posted:

Anyone got ideas for farming dragonbone relics?

Buy and equip leather set. Pack a psycho serum. Eat for felyne explorer. Pick a hyper monster quest that is in frozen seaway. Gather at every bone pile. Drink the psycho serum then go suicide to the monster three times to fail the quest. You'll keep your gathered items.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm not sure I'd say skills are more important than defense values, it's more that armor with good skills tends to have at least adequate defense so it's rarely something you really have to consider (keep your armor upgraded, though). If you tried to fight a level 10 deviant with 150 defense you'd be in for a pretty rough time. Unless you're an MH god who never gets hit, I guess.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Loving the HH, the Deviant Tigrex one has been wrecking face really quite nicely.

Any protips for handling Hellblade though? That is the only fight I am considering not taking horn out for, I just can't seem to find the openings without the big swordy exploding dino ruining my life.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yep. I recently upgraded from LR to HR armor and holy poo poo what a difference it made. I'd been trying to do some of the more HR village 6* quests (Yian Garuga, Seltas Queen) and was just getting toastercaked.

Switched to an HR Gammoth suit and welp. Just clowned Garuga and SQ with no trouble. I went from 150 defense to 400.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know exactly what challenger and latent power +1/+2 do in gen?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know exactly what challenger and latent power +1/+2 do in gen?

Challenger +2 gives Attack up L and Crit +2 when the monster is angry

Dunno about latent power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Hit left and right to switch between LR and HR. They're entirely different selections. I'm not sure exactly what the stars correspond to; rarer stuff showing up maybe?

The stars correspond to the difficulty of the monsters on that trip when you're fighting them on quests, but don't seem to have an impact at all on the meownster hunter minigame, which is really nice. The game plays the same regardless of the stars. If it says rare, that means there is a secret ingredient that you'll find when you shoot the pucks around the screen. "Danger" means there is an elder dragon you can find the same way.

In no situation is the mini-game harder than any other time. There's no actual danger when sending cats on a danger run, it just means it's got a secret monster there.

• Locked thread