Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
I generally find the African coffees to be more fruity and floral in taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're the average American the South American coffee is what general coffee tastes like. If you get coffee flavored ice cream at Baskin Robbins that's the flavor.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I went with the Primula, and it worked out well. It was stronger than I was expecting. Maybe a longer brew time is needed to get it to where I wanted. Starbucks is not a brand I would continue to buy, I got this because I needed something coarse ground, and it was the only place I could think of that could accommodate on a late Sunday afternoon. Next time I'll go to a grocery store that has a grinder.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Any of you dudes use a single cup brewer? I'm going to be having some house guests fairly soon and I'm not going to burden then with learning + using pourover methods. I was going to get a drip machine until I realized that it will have very limited use, so then I started to look at single cup brewers. It's probably a much better solution for my use case.

I hate the disposable things, so I looked into ones that are reusable. Has anyone tried the Bunn MCU?? It has 4 baskets - hot water, coffee grinds, tea leaves, and keurig pods. I'll leave that last one in the cupboard but it seems to do everything I'm looking for (I love tea as well, I do wish it had temp control but oh well). Would just like to hear first-hand experiences if anyone has them!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Guitarchitect posted:

Any of you dudes use a single cup brewer?
Ya, it's called a Silvia :smug:

Seriously though, that Bunn looks interesting. For your use case that might be ideal. Hell, my relatives come over that could be useful for me too.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

Any of you dudes use a single cup brewer? I'm going to be having some house guests fairly soon and I'm not going to burden then with learning + using pourover methods. I was going to get a drip machine until I realized that it will have very limited use, so then I started to look at single cup brewers. It's probably a much better solution for my use case.

I hate the disposable things, so I looked into ones that are reusable. Has anyone tried the Bunn MCU?? It has 4 baskets - hot water, coffee grinds, tea leaves, and keurig pods. I'll leave that last one in the cupboard but it seems to do everything I'm looking for (I love tea as well, I do wish it had temp control but oh well). Would just like to hear first-hand experiences if anyone has them!
Have you heard of the Clever Dripper? If it's going to have very limited use, it might save you some money. No one has to learn any new techniques, it's cheap, and makes a great cup of coffee.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Help me figure out babby's first descaling: The Dezcal schematic instructions seem to indicate pouring water directly in a boiler-looking compartment. Since I don't have an accessible boiler, I assume I should just put the solution in the water tank, pull a "shot" to descale the boiler and run hot water through the wand to descale that too? Then cycle water a few times through both?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Big Bidness posted:

Have you heard of the Clever Dripper? If it's going to have very limited use, it might save you some money. No one has to learn any new techniques, it's cheap, and makes a great cup of coffee.

Is it fair to say that the Clever dipper makes a more full bodied cup of coffee compared to a pour over like the Chemex?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Clever Dripper is a lot more like a French press than like a pourover. You are basically mixing the grounds and hot water for a specified length of time, then draining through a filter instead of through a metal screen.

It does a better job of separating the variables of grind, temperature, and timing in that lets you potentially go a lot coarser on the grind than is usually necessary for pourover to work, and a lot finer than is usually necessary for French press to not come out as sludge. Also it is far easier to clean up than a French press.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jan posted:

Help me figure out babby's first descaling: The Dezcal schematic instructions seem to indicate pouring water directly in a boiler-looking compartment. Since I don't have an accessible boiler, I assume I should just put the solution in the water tank, pull a "shot" to descale the boiler and run hot water through the wand to descale that too? Then cycle water a few times through both?
What machine do you have? In a typical single-boiler home machine, the descaler goes into the water tank and should be run out through the steam/water wand about a cup at a time, pausing for 10 min or so between cycles, then rinse with a full tank of water once done. Running it through the BH doesn't matter as all the water comes from the same boiler, but on a dual boiler or HX machine it's going to be different/more complicated.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

withak posted:

The Clever Dripper is a lot more like a French press than like a pourover. You are basically mixing the grounds and hot water for a specified length of time, then draining through a filter instead of through a metal screen.

It does a better job of separating the variables of grind, temperature, and timing in that lets you potentially go a lot coarser on the grind than is usually necessary for pourover to work, and a lot finer than is usually necessary for French press to not come out as sludge. Also it is far easier to clean up than a French press.

I have both the French press and a Clever Dripper as an alternative to my Moka pot. I would recommend a French press if you have company, you'll be able to brew more - however it can be easily made too strong. The Clever Dripper is more of a go-to when me and my partner and in a rush out the door and NEED our morning coffee, as the moka pot takes a little bit to get going. The dripper would be a pain with more than two people, though as the brew volume is quite low.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

withak posted:

Considering how cheap it is, I'll have to pick one up soon and add to the collection. Thanks for the info!

I like the Able Kone in the Chemex as well, but it sounds like the Clever Dripper will be a little more hands off as far as getting it dialed in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is an odd question, but have you guys noticed your taste changing after getting hard into this stuff?

I had a coffee off one of those Wolfgang puck pod-style machine coffees today which was a "fruity, caramel, light roasted blend". And... it wasn't bad really, certainly flavourful and hot and worked as coffee, and in the old days I would have said "wow that's a good coffee!" But now all I could think was how much better a single origin, just ground by myself, espresso shot would have been. Am I a snob now?

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Am I a snob now?

Yes.

Scaramouche posted:

have you guys noticed your taste changing after getting hard into this stuff?

I find that texture is very important to me now and I rarely want anything added to my coffee. Coffee made from stale beans or has too much water is pretty gross. It amazes me some people can drink giant 16oz coffee which is mostly just water or milk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

William Stoner posted:

The dripper would be a pain with more than two people, though as the brew volume is quite low.

Yeah, I use the CCD for just me and a French press if there are guests.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Scaramouche posted:

This is an odd question, but have you guys noticed your taste changing after getting hard into this stuff?

I had a coffee off one of those Wolfgang puck pod-style machine coffees today which was a "fruity, caramel, light roasted blend". And... it wasn't bad really, certainly flavourful and hot and worked as coffee, and in the old days I would have said "wow that's a good coffee!" But now all I could think was how much better a single origin, just ground by myself, espresso shot would have been. Am I a snob now?

Getting into any sort of food/drink as a hobby have changed how I perceive flavors etc in a big way. I'm hardly a fan of sweets at all now.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

ChickenArise posted:

Getting into any sort of food/drink as a hobby have changed how I perceive flavors etc in a big way. I'm hardly a fan of sweets at all now.

During my baking kick these past few weeks I have completely lost my sweet tooth. When you know what "too sweet" (or salty, savory, ect...) is, you know that it's usually covering up or an indication of some failure.

Unfortunately the knowledge of quality, which makes your life better overall, can make you insufferable to others'.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

When I first started drinking coffee, I could consume a cup of coffee from your regular fast food places, or that complimentary coffee they give on airplanes, without much complaint.
Now airplane and restaurant coffee is swill (I'll still begrudgingly drink it if the alternative is "no coffee today"), most fast food coffee is paper-y swill (I will absolutely not drink it), and my sugar tolerance is lower after a year of not drinking soft drinks.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

bizwank posted:

What machine do you have? In a typical single-boiler home machine, the descaler goes into the water tank and should be run out through the steam/water wand about a cup at a time, pausing for 10 min or so between cycles, then rinse with a full tank of water once done. Running it through the BH doesn't matter as all the water comes from the same boiler, but on a dual boiler or HX machine it's going to be different/more complicated.

Ah, I should've been more precise in this thread of all places. Yeah, it's a single boiler thing, pretty much exactly this or an older model.

I ended up running just 4 cups of water with Dezcal, then rinsed with 2 full tanks. I threw a Cafiza in the portafilter for half of the second rinse while I was at it. It looks cleaner, I guess? I'll see tomorrow morning.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This thing claims to be able to make cold brew in about 10 minutes: http://prismacoldbrew.com/

It sounds too good to be true and lol crowdfunding, but apparently the company is backed by GE and has a couple products released already. The only press article they link (in which it's still referred to by what I'm assuming is an old name, Pique) that goes into technical details of how it might be possible is the Engadget one.

At $229 as the lowest tier that offers the product, though, I'm not really willing to back it just to find out if it works.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Looks like it comes from FirstBuild.com, which is kind of a hacker space that comes up with new designs collaboratively. It's the maker community that's backed by GE, and not prisma specifically. Not sure how good a deal it is though; if your invention gets used you get $1000 flat right away, and then 0.5% royalty for 4 years.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Looks like it comes from FirstBuild.com, which is kind of a hacker space that comes up with new designs collaboratively. It's the maker community that's backed by GE, and not prisma specifically. Not sure how good a deal it is though; if your invention gets used you get $1000 flat right away, and then 0.5% royalty for 4 years.
wasnt that quirky?

Or did GE just spin up FirstBuild when quirky shat the bed?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I will drink any coffee made out of a drip machine, pour over, Starbucks, etc without much complaint, but I refuse to drink any pod coffee or the flavia plastic packs in my office. Those are the worst.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A good number of the pods/kapsules are actually dehydrated coffee like Folgers. Explains the taste, or lack thereof.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't there a class action lawsuit over that for one if the k cup makers? The guys made cider and fruit flavour k cups and then tried to branch out into coffee stuff and didn't tell anyone they were using instant

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

yup

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
My new office has a Mr Coffee drip machine and this fancy-looking automatic machine that makes what seems like fake espresso. Even though the machine does actually grind beans before making the coffee I hate the way the resulting coffee tastes. I'll take the bitter-rear end Mr coffee poo poo over it every time. At least it tastes like coffee.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HappyHippo posted:

My new office has a Mr Coffee drip machine and this fancy-looking automatic machine that makes what seems like fake espresso. Even though the machine does actually grind beans before making the coffee I hate the way the resulting coffee tastes. I'll take the bitter-rear end Mr coffee poo poo over it every time. At least it tastes like coffee.

I'm curious, do you know what kind it is? We carry just about every automatic worth having and I want to know if one of ours sucks.

Also drip is very easy to do "good enough" (for given values of good), whereas the gulf on that for espresso seems to be a bit larger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HappyHippo posted:

I'm guessing nobody in your office cleans it and/or buys lovely rear end beans.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It was probably never dialed in either; just like a semi-auto, proper dosing and grinding makes a big difference in shot quality. Most people can't taste the difference or don't care though; office machines are especially prone to living in the "good enough" zone.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I'll check out the model on Monday. I think the poor quality is probably due to the machine, but it could well be the lack of maintenance and/or lovely beans

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
I found a 9 cup Bialetti mocha pot from the 70s for $1.50 at thrift shop and bough replacement gaskets from amazon. Espresso is a bit too bitter/sour for me so without knowing anything about it, the mocha pot was great buy. This morning I added frothed half and half using my french press and it was loving great. I'm pretty sure this will be my weekend go to drink for a while.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Has anyone calibrated a preciso before? I have to take it apart to fix it after it stopped grinding and now it's not grinding properly. Big chunks and all that.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

What exactly did you fix? If you put it back together correctly there shouldn't be anything to calibrate.

Edit: Make sure the top burr is actually threaded in and not just floating on top of the adjustment ring, that would give you a super chunky grind and changing the grind setting would have no effect. If you rebuilt the gearbox but didn't replace both groups of washers in the same place/number then the grinder's base grinding setting would be changed, but would still adjust throughout a range of grinds.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 15, 2016

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Raveen posted:

I found a 9 cup Bialetti mocha pot from the 70s for $1.50 at thrift shop and bough replacement gaskets from amazon. Espresso is a bit too bitter/sour for me so without knowing anything about it, the mocha pot was great buy. This morning I added frothed half and half using my french press and it was loving great. I'm pretty sure this will be my weekend go to drink for a while.

I'm so jealous. I'm using an Ikea moka pot and want a Bialetti bad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I dusted off my partner's unused Breville Cafe Roma and brought it to the office. Went through the motions of descaling, rinsing and backflushing (even though there's probably nothing to backflush in the first place, without a 3-way valve). Unfortunately, we don't have a grinder.

I do have a grinder at home, however. I also have my old unused blade grinder which I could bring to the office. Which is the best compromise? A proper grind done in advance, or a fresh blade grind? The grounds from the blade grinder would occasionally choke my slightly better home Breville, so I somewhat doubt this entry-level machine would fare much better.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If those are your two options I would grind at home on the real grinder. Blade grinders are a crime against coffee, especially when going into espresso style machines which the Roma is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blade grinder is like smashing up coffee beans with a bat.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I'm curious, do you know what kind it is? We carry just about every automatic worth having and I want to know if one of ours sucks.

Also drip is very easy to do "good enough" (for given values of good), whereas the gulf on that for espresso seems to be a bit larger.

It's an Impressa Xj9. Anyone heard of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jan posted:

I do have a grinder at home, however. I also have my old unused blade grinder which I could bring to the office. Which is the best compromise?
Chewing the beans in your mouth and washing them down with hot water would be far more pleasant and rewarding then using a blade grinder to try to make a decent espresso.

HappyHippo posted:

It's an Impressa Xj9. Anyone heard of it?
Ha, a Jura. Yeah they're pretty miserable compared to most other super-autos; Swiss-engineered and manufactured instead of Italian, and the only way to get them serviced is to ship them off to the manufacturer. They're pumped out by a OEM equipment company and sold under a couple different brands; Jura and Bosch are the ones I've run into in the US. Dialing it in might get you a slightly better shot; basically set to max dosing and keep turning the grinder finer until the coffee is just dripping, then turn it back a notch or two.