Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

MF_James posted:

oh god, I remember the first time i hit win+tab on accident, I was like WTF JUST HAPPENED, and then I continued to use alt-tab because change is scary.

The VP at my work has a pet project to send out IS Tips to the entire business. It was failing so I volunteered my two interns to write several of e-mails like these to send out to the organization. Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V, Google tricks, and the snipping tool have been the first few topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
The most recent FNG who has now been here about 10 months is trying to take advantage of the supervisor being out on vacation for the next two weeks. He's coming in an hour-ish late every day, leaving 2 hours early and still taking an hour long lunch in the middle. While he's on the clock we haven't seen hardly any tickets get closed out or paperwork done. I've kinda clued our boss into what's going on. I hate to ruin bossman's vacation, but this nitwit needs to go. He's causing unwarranted stress on the rest of the team because we can't count on him for poo poo. Customer's are complaining about tickets he's got not being done, I'm taking time away from my IT Audit project to go do things that he should be doing as the FNG.

gently caress.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

oh rly posted:

The VP at my work has a pet project to send out IS Tips to the entire business. It was failing so I volunteered my two interns to write several of e-mails like these to send out to the organization. Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V, Google tricks, and the snipping tool have been the first few topics.

Be sure to add PSR in one of those emails.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

slightpirate posted:

gently caress.
I'm a fan of actually talking to people to try and resolve conflict--have you or another coworker spoken to FNG about their poor performance and attendance? It's possible that they are having a tough time outside of work and often times people don't realize the impact they have on others unless it's brought up to them. If they get all flippant about it, then tell him if he doesn't shape up his actions will be reported for possible disciplinary action.

Basically give them a chance but if they slap your hand away see to it they get removed

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm a fan of actually talking to people to try and resolve conflict--have you or another coworker spoken to FNG about their poor performance and attendance? It's possible that they are having a tough time outside of work and often times people don't realize the impact they have on others unless it's brought up to them. If they get all flippant about it, then tell him if he doesn't shape up his actions will be reported for possible disciplinary action.

Basically give them a chance but if they slap your hand away see to it they get removed

I'd say that's appropriate for someone who comes in late once in a while, but if it's as egregious as he's saying guy should probably go already.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'd say that's appropriate for someone who comes in late once in a while, but if it's as egregious as he's saying guy should probably go already.

Wake up call might be good for him before getting the boss involved. He could be going through a really hard relationship problem, or depression or whatever.

He's being toxic and probably doesn't deserve another chance where he's at but giving him a heads up that it's noticeable and needs to end might get him to shape up. In the end slightpirate is the one working with him and knows best with how to deal with it. Sometimes people need to just get fired and get a grip on a job is a job not a playground.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Your job isn't a playground? :v: Don't most users at most jobs act like children?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 10, 2016

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Your job isn't a playground? :v: Don't most users at most jobs act like children?

It isn't a playground, it's a swimming pool. IT people are lifeguards. They have swimming skills, and would love to hang out in the pool, but instead they have to walk around the edges watching everyone and making sure they don't hurt themselves or drown. They are highly trained and ready for anything but the most exciting thing that happens on any given day is someone takes a dump in the pool.

edit: OSI, can we say that AV is like swim diapers? They catch some of the poo poo, but people may not use them correctly, and even if they do, the swim diaper may not catch everything, and it may make it harder to tell that there's poo poo in the pool?

SubjectVerbObject fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 10, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It isn't a playground, it's a swimming pool. IT people are lifeguards. They have swimming skills, and would love to hang out in the pool, but instead they have to walk around the edges watching everyone and making sure they don't hurt themselves or drown. They are highly trained and ready for anything but the most exciting thing that happens on any given day is someone takes a dump in the pool.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in: IT are lifeguards; the most exciting thing that happens on any given day is someone takes a dump in the pool.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes, Windows+L is how most people I know lock their screen. I cringe when I see people do Ctrl+Alt+Del and then slowly grab the mouse to click on Lock.

I'm really sorry. This is me. I have never liked the Windows key for some reason. I didn't need it before it was made and by golly I don't need it now. Or something.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SubjectVerbObject posted:

edit: OSI, can we say that AV is like swim diapers? They catch some of the poo poo, but people may not use them correctly, and even if they do, the swim diaper may not catch everything, and it may make it harder to tell that there's poo poo in the pool?

No the AV is the contents of the diaper.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

No the AV is the contents of the diaper.

AV being the diaper in a pool makes sense to me. It sounds like a good idea, and on paper it seems to work, but as soon as it gets exposed to the water it starts falling apart and letting the poo poo flow.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
He and I had a conversation this morning that seemed to be a shot in the arm, so hopefully this was a momentary lapse in judgement on his part. I'm not looking to get anyone fired unless they really are being a total shithead, but at the same time I'm trying to keep our team on task while the boss is out. Partially because I don't want to shake his faith in our ability to do our jobs when he's not in the office and partially because we fill a need in the company, and when we're down a guy because he's off dicking around somewhere it makes our jobs that much harder.

If this continues to be an issue I'll try to give him a little coaching but ultimately I'm not going to spend my day coaxing a grown man into participating in his job.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

AV being the diaper in a pool makes sense to me. It sounds like a good idea, and on paper it seems to work, but as soon as it gets exposed to the water it starts falling apart and letting the poo poo flow.

It was a joke.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm setting up our distance learning classroom.

We are connecting to 8 other schools who have had the last five months to configure their network and firewall to allow connections to the equipment.

Today was the official start date for classes and so far ONE school has configured their stuff correctly and several haven't even bothered to try. I've got administration and goddamn Polycom pissed at me that we're behind on the project deadline but goddamn our stuff is working flawlessly, so take it up with these other schools.

Speaking of the classroom, it's a small empty room with tile walls and a good 15 foot ceiling so the echo is horrendous. Everyone is complaining about the sound so my suggestion was to put some sound eggcrate high up on the walls to help absorb the sound, maybe hang some curtains on the window and lay down a rug or something. Nothing major.

Principal does not want any of this. We are not to put anything extra in that room, but also I need to make the sound not echo. I suggested placing the mic in a small box with eggcrate surrounding it but that would look tacky. So let me just pull my magic wand right out of my rear end in a top hat and magic this loving problem away like they normally assume I do.

Yesterday, the executive director got pissed that I have not put a project out for bid yet, explaining that we have been working on this for over two years and it should be done by now. Guess who's only been here 8 months, rear end in a top hat. And also I've been ready to put it out for bid for months now but it needs your approval and you won't approve it because you want to see the entire loving system in action before deciding but every time I've set up demos you just refuse to show up so eat my goddamn dick.

Sorry, I need to vent and I'm fraying over this goddamn place. At this point, I'm seriously missing the TV station. Yeah it sucked, but it was all good natured ineptitude. This is just an entire organization of mentally unstable power trippers loving excavating for reasons to get pissed at somebody else. I just keep telling myself to make it two years and then doors will open everywhere :unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How long until your kids are in college or adults so you can gently caress right off out of that state?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GreenNight posted:

How long until your kids are in college or adults so you can gently caress right off out of that state?

Only 17 years to go

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp.

Truly hosed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

This is just an entire organization of mentally unstable power trippers loving excavating for reasons to get pissed at somebody else.

Welcome to most business. I guess schools do that too, but everyone wants to shove their power in your face and not be the one to blame for something not getting done. Cover your rear end, IT works a ton with other departments and no one but IT understands what IT really does most of the time. So it's easy for them to get assigned blame as "the lazy fucks that just surf the internet all day".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Everyone is complaining about the sound so my suggestion was to put some sound eggcrate high up on the walls

Make sure they know that you're talking about the black foam, not paper or Styrofoam.

This stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Egg-Crate-Mattress-Foam-inches/dp/B001MA2QS6

Not This:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

At this point, I'm seriously missing the TV station.

loving hell!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Speaking of the classroom, it's a small empty room with tile walls and a good 15 foot ceiling so the echo is horrendous. Everyone is complaining about the sound so my suggestion was to put some sound eggcrate high up on the walls to help absorb the sound, maybe hang some curtains on the window and lay down a rug or something. Nothing major.

Surely using a highly directional mic would help over an omnidirectional mic that picks up every echo?

Might not be perfect but it's unlikely you'll get too much echo from the exact position of the speaker.

Or do the teachers demand they be allowed to move around and pace?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Surely using a highly directional mic would help over an omnidirectional mic that picks up every echo?

Might not be perfect but it's unlikely you'll get too much echo from the exact position of the speaker.

Nobody understands anything about mic directionality. I have recently had to tell several different people that they need to face in the direction of the conference room microphone in order to not sound like crap to the people on the other end.

The other week somebody picked up the mic for a presentation, said "Is this thing on?" directly into it, and then immediately dropped it to their side and started actually presenting.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

larchesdanrew posted:

Principal does not want any of this. We are not to put anything extra in that room, but also I need to make the sound not echo.

I use this all the time when non-IT people try to get IT to "just fix $thing" with whatever magic they think we possess:

Technology solutions are for technology problems. What you have there is a physics problem. It requires a physics solution.

If you do cross disciplines and use a technology solution for a physics problem, then at best you can mitigate the symptoms, but not fix the root cause. Something like this:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Is the best you can do to suppress the echo, until they want room mics to pick up any student asking a question from any possible seat in the room. And then they'll decide they want to support multiple layouts of desks and chairs and whatnot. And then it'll be "the mics are picking up the HVAC noise" or "people walking around upstairs are disrupting our recordings" and on and on. It's a moving target that you'll never hit.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's what lav mics are for.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I suggested a lav mic, but we can't spend any money on this, so the omnidirectional microphone in a 10x10x15 is what we're using :downs:

edit: While I'm bitching, is there a better way to administrate our google apps that isn't their admin page? This is the most godawful piece of poo poo I've ever seen. I'm trying to remove a person from a group, but I can't just go to his name and remove the groups that he is in, I have to go to each individual group and sift through the entire member list 30 at a time until I find his. Also if pass it, you have to go back to the beginning of the list. Also if you delete anyone you have to go back to the beginning of the list, so I better hope you aren't doing a selective purge. Something that should be a quick several second process ends up taking fifteen loving minutes.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 10, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

larchesdanrew posted:

I suggested a lav mic, but we can't spend any money on this, so the omnidirectional microphone in a 10x10x15 is what we're using :downs:

Please fix this problem. No you're not allowed to spend money or do anything to fix it, just fix it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

edit: While I'm bitching, is there a better way to administrate our google apps that isn't their admin page? This is the most godawful piece of poo poo I've ever seen. I'm trying to remove a person from a group, but I can't just go to his name and remove the groups that he is in, I have to go to each individual group and sift through the entire member list 30 at a time until I find his. Also if pass it, you have to go back to the beginning of the list. Also if you delete anyone you have to go back to the beginning of the list, so I better hope you aren't doing a selective purge. Something that should be a quick several second process ends up taking fifteen loving minutes.

You can use their API, I remember looking into but never got past the "we should test this" talk about using a powershell plugin for Google API when I did google apps at a school.

I think it was this one

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Do you have any documentation or spec sheets on the recommended setup for your system? Does it include anything on sound that you can point to and say "See, this is what the project requires, we don't have that, I can't solve the problem at this stage unless the minimum specs are met" ?

Otherwise just sit behind the fact that they're not willing to pay for upgrades. The system is working. Any improvements are superfluous and will require budgetary expenses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does the school have a physics teacher you could call in to back you up?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

You can use their API, I remember looking into but never got past the "we should test this" talk about using a powershell plugin for Google API when I did google apps at a school.

I think it was this one

I'm going to have to look at gShell again, it used to mainly be read-only stuff for reporting and your only good "out of the box option" was GAM, but drat they really filled out the commands since then.

I was trying to write my own direct API stuff but I couldn't find a good guide for getting the OAuth stuff setup in Powershell so I just kind of let the idea die.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Does the school have a physics teacher you could call in to back you up?

It's literally a science school. They're all physics teachers. The teacher teaching the class is a physics teacher. Everyone is saying to do what I'm suggesting but the one in control says no no no.

Also, as if it were a sign, I get a call from a company asking why we haven't used their service in the past 8 months. I ask what service it is, and it's basically a google app automation service. We're already paying for it, I just didn't know it existed. Hot drat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, but unlike pool diapers, people look at all the poo poo flowing and go: "Eh, it caught some of the poo poo so we are going to keep using it in the pool."

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

pixaal posted:

I think it was this one

https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM

This too.

Edit: the point of Google's Admin page being poo poo is them expecting you to buy their third party providers' bullshit solutions like Bettercloud or whatever.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 10, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sheep posted:

https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM

This too.

Edit: the point of Google's Admin page being poo poo is them expecting you to buy their third party providers' bullshit solutions like Bettercloud or whatever.

Note that working GAM into Powershell is annoying and the built-in bulk processing for it is not great.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps is really badly let down by the management tools

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Apps is really badly let down by the management tools

Most businesses are really badly let down by the management tools.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
I thought you had AD access larches. Could you manage everything there and use GADS to sync changes out to Google? This is what we do at my school and it works great.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A text came in. My ex girlfriend texted me asking me to come over to fix her mom's chromebook. When I explained that the process to recover it was easy, she was like "I don't have time".

Yeah about that... Neither do I. She's pretty much an hour away, I've been drinking, she doesn't have a ticket, and oh by the way the last time I was at that house I was getting broken up with... by her. I'm on call for enough places, let alone for free.

Oh well, back to Men of War and beer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Haha what the gently caress is she thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

iajanus posted:

Most businesses are really badly let down by the management tools.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread