Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mortimer posted:

I mentioned deviants specifically

also yes you do need ultra rare drops for armor
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/armor/587-crusher
2x rajang nerves, which are 8% drops

don't bother finding the posts, you seem pretty set in your beliefs

Wow, you're kind of a dick. And a liar; you didn't mention deviants specifically, you just said "thirty times", which I took as an arbitrarily large number to emphasize the normal grindiness of past games if you needed to harvest multiple plates/gems from something for a set.

Also I was not aware of those; what I did was use Ping's Dex and put it "plate" and "gem" and see what all those are needed for. Outside of some things needing (Bird) Wyvern Gems, which are easy to accumulate, and one piece of DLC armor needing Teostra gems, no armor showed up as needing any of those things (besides stuff needing "plates" that aren't rare, like Alatreon Plates, which are not the rare drop from that fight). And most armor doesn't need extremely rare stuff still, even if apparently some do.

Deviant stuff is different in terms of grindiness, but it's also dumb and something I've said I dislike, and have not been doing specifically because I don't feel the need to fight them that many times. I haven't said otherwise here. I'm sorry my saying that people told me Frontier is extra-grindy and frustrating even by MH standards pissed you off so much, but you're being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Squidtentacle posted:

It exists, yeah, but it definitely seems far less common than MH4U. The Alatreon armor doesn't require a gem from five different monsters for each piece of armor, for example.

I kinda miss this tbh it made crafting the set feel like much more of an accomplishment

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Mortimer posted:

I mentioned deviants specifically

also yes you do need ultra rare drops for armor
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/armor/587-crusher
2x rajang nerves, which are 8% drops

don't bother finding the posts, you seem pretty set in your beliefs

Metal rath and Rajang armor doesn't seem representative. Compare Rathalos S between versions. In 4u, a set required a plate, a ruby, and two medulla. It now requires none of that, and is mostly low rank and meownster-huntable high rank parts.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Anyone going to the Capcom MH event in Chicago on Sunday? 400 people have RSVP''d for a bar that has like max capacity of 100.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Hey gunners what is cluster shot for?

Besides supremely dicking around your team, I mean.

I tried it on a dreadqueen yesterday and it just seemed to make a lovely rosette of explosions everywhere she wasn't

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

gigawhite posted:

Anyone going to the Capcom MH event in Chicago on Sunday? 400 people have RSVP''d for a bar that has like max capacity of 100.

Oh man I wish I weren't working during the entire thing. Nintendo or Capcom or whoever throwing a big nerd party in the middle of the day on Sunday at probably the second-most bro-ey arcade bar in the city sounds like a riot.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Wow, you're kind of a dick. And a liar; you didn't mention deviants specifically, you just said "thirty times", which I took as an arbitrarily large number to emphasize the normal grindiness of past games if you needed to harvest multiple plates/gems from something for a set.

Also I was not aware of those; what I did was use Ping's Dex and put it "plate" and "gem" and see what all those are needed for. Outside of some things needing (Bird) Wyvern Gems, which are easy to accumulate, and one piece of DLC armor needing Teostra gems, no armor showed up as needing any of those things (besides stuff needing "plates" that aren't rare, like Alatreon Plates, which are not the rare drop from that fight). And most armor doesn't need extremely rare stuff still, even if apparently some do.

Deviant stuff is different in terms of grindiness, but it's also dumb and something I've said I dislike, and have not been doing specifically because I don't feel the need to fight them that many times. I haven't said otherwise here. I'm sorry my saying that people told me Frontier is extra-grindy and frustrating even by MH standards pissed you off so much, but you're being an rear end in a top hat.

I mentioned deviants in my first post lmao, 30 times is how many it takes assuming 1-10 x3 for every ticket. It ends up being around 25 runs total because you get lower level tickets from higher ones but that's still pretty hilariously long.

that's cool dude don't play frontier, it takes a certain kind of person (cool, honest, hardworking folks mostly) to play frontier. if you want to kill a monster twice and be done with your armor and have absolutely nothing to work towards beyond getting a higher HR and ????? then gen is fantastic. I am also playing gen but probably not for much longer lol

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CommunityEdition posted:

Metal rath and Rajang armor doesn't seem representative. Compare Rathalos S between versions. In 4u, a set required a plate, a ruby, and two medulla. It now requires none of that, and is mostly low rank and meownster-huntable high rank parts.
It's mostly the end game armors that take a few extra fights. Even the EX armors at the end take tickets and you only get like one per quest. Some armor sets take like ten accolades and junk too.

R Series pieces can get kind of brutal too. But S and regular is like whatever.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Have any cunning schemes emerged for farming Hellblade Powder? I think I'm going to end up setting up a hunting party for a few hours and trying to stock up.

(Stock in this case may be 3).

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Far as I can tell, go aerial and focus on staggering the head when hes's enraged and pick up every shiny drop. I haven't found a reliable method beyond that. Doesn't seem to come from carves, breaks or captures

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

enojy posted:

Two Rath assholes at the same time is the antithesis of fun.

Have you tried using smoke bombs to beat up on one Rath while the other wanders around aimlessly? i never hear about anyone using them, but they're perfect for arenas with multiple monsters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

From what I understand Frontier takes the grindy nature of the regular series and ups it like no one's business.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Are all the items in frontier Katakana?

gigawhite posted:

I'm going to go, but I dunno what to expect.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 10, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Are all the items in frontier Katakana?

pretty much. Some have some kanji but thankfully the pictures are identical from MH. You see a green jar it's a potion. A green jar with the katakana for "ga-rei-to" it's a "great potion" aka mega potion. Pickaxe is pikaru, mega pickaxe is 'ga-rei-to pi-ka-ru'. Net is "ne-to". Fangs/hides have pictures with the monster name next to them, same for the armor.

emalde gave me a run through to HR4 (the free part) in about 2 hours? and I can probably play the core gameplay loop without help at this point.

I learned katakana to play monster hunter frontier :suicide:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Here's another end game armor gently caress you: to go from level 4 to 5 silver sol defense you need a Rathalos ruby for each piece.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mortimer posted:

pretty much. Some have some kanji but thankfully the pictures are identical from MH. You see a green jar it's a potion. A green jar with the katakana for "ga-rei-to" it's a "great potion" aka mega potion. Pickaxe is pikaru, mega pickaxe is 'ga-rei-to pi-ka-ru'. Net is "ne-to". Fangs/hides have pictures with the monster name next to them, same for the armor.

emalde gave me a run through to HR4 (the free part) in about 2 hours? and I can probably play the core gameplay loop without help at this point.

You'll still probably run into hiragana and words that you can't figure out phonetically when it comes to story and dialogue, but yeah you could probably get by on game mechanics with just katakana.

What about the quest objectives though? Can you tell when you have to gather eggs or some poo poo? I guess there's icons...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You'll still probably run into hiragana and words that you can't figure out phonetically when it comes to story and dialogue, but yeah you could probably get by on game mechanics with just katakana.

What about the quest objectives though? Can you tell when you have to gather eggs or some poo poo? I guess there's icons...

I don't know if frontier has gather egg quests, not for urgents or keys at least through all of pre-g rank. I can't imagine they would throw you against fatalis, then gather some eggs :v:

Rascyc posted:

Here's another end game armor gently caress you: to go from level 4 to 5 silver sol defense you need a Rathalos ruby for each piece.

upgrading silver los to the highest defense levels takes hyper silver los scales which don't exist yet. It owns super hard actually.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Join the club :smith::hf::smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mortimer posted:

Also the Trader is Neko (means Cat).

:smugbert:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Looks like it took Japan ~3 months to get hypers for Goldie/Silvie/Jho/Rajang. glhf

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I mean Monster Hunter is the epitome of repeated grinding

It really isn't. Ever played a Korean MMO back in the 00s?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I played Survival Project which wasn't an MMO in the traditional way but drat was it good

Edit; also I get every single possible gunlance the second it is available regardless of drop rates so I guess I create my own grind

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 10, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Skippy Granola posted:

Hey gunners what is cluster shot for?

Besides supremely dicking around your team, I mean.

I tried it on a dreadqueen yesterday and it just seemed to make a lovely rosette of explosions everywhere she wasn't

Cluster sticks to wherever it hits and explodes for a decent amount of damage. It's also able to knock out damage if you can stick it to a monsters head and hit it enough.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

So it's a less online friendly crag shot then?

Oh man I played some pubbie games and there was one prowler player who got really in character with their shoutouts. "I'll purr-pare a mewsful trap!" Etc

It was great and I don't care what you say. I want to be that guy's friend.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Cluster sticks to wherever it hits and explodes for a decent amount of damage. It's also able to knock out damage if you can stick it to a monsters head and hit it enough.

That's Crag. Cluster is the shot that breaks into smaller, scattered booms.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cluster shot has higher damage potential than crag but is hard to hit with consistently unless the monster is enormous. Might be useful if you're soloing Alatreon or Kakarkos or something, otherwise I'd skip it.

Kashuno posted:

I played Survival Project which wasn't an MMO in the traditional way but drat was it good

Edit; also I get every single possible gunlance the second it is available regardless of drop rates so I guess I create my own grind

That's not really what I was talking about. I think maxing out every gunlance in the game would still be less of a grind than something like oldschool Ragnarok or Lineage.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

It really isn't. Ever played a Korean MMO back in the 00s?

Oh man for some inexplicable reason I played Maplestory back in 04-05. Talk about grinding.

I really don't mind the grind in MH games. I feel like it's just right. Sure you might not get that rare drop on your first hunt, but I enjoy seeing how much faster I can kill that monster in each subsequent hunt. Then you take your new skills and upgraded equipment to go soon how much faster you can go kill other monsters and make hats out of them.

The problem is when the RNG decides to hate you and it takes 20 hunts to get a Rath Plate. Or like that time I carved 130 Seregios scales before I got a lens. Goddamn that SUCKED. But now I'm pretty good at fighting him, so hey.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

So it's a less online friendly crag shot then?

Oh man I played some pubbie games and there was one prowler player who got really in character with their shoutouts. "I'll purr-pare a mewsful trap!" Etc

It was great and I don't care what you say. I want to be that guy's friend.

No, it's lovely troll ammo in MP and you should pretty much never use it if the hunt is even remotely challenging because it'll interrupt every melee person and will even knock aerial people out of the air.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

The cost of crafting Rathalos S is less in gen, but to upgrade it to max you need 1 ruby per piece which is way worse than 4u.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Aerial Horn. Aerial horn. That's all really, I just wanted to show my appreciation for Aerial horn.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

lenoon posted:

Aerial Horn. Aerial horn. That's all really, I just wanted to show my appreciation for Aerial horn.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dragon enthusiast posted:

Looks like it took Japan ~3 months to get hypers for Goldie/Silvie/Jho/Rajang. glhf

That's still way better than taking 9 months to get G-rank Black Fatalis back in 4U.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Arbitrary Number posted:

The cost of crafting Rathalos S is less in gen, but to upgrade it to max you need 1 ruby per piece which is way worse than 4u.

I'm kind of okay with needing the rare parts for the capstone def upgrade as opposed to needing them to craft the piece in the first place.

That said I'm not thrilled at needing four more Nark Orbs, having only acquired one in about half a dozen kills.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I mean, it's amazing right? Mount, topple, stun, head break, repeat.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm kind of okay with needing the rare parts for the capstone def upgrade as opposed to needing them to craft the piece in the first place.

That said I'm not thrilled at needing four more Nark Orbs, having only acquired one in about half a dozen kills.

Are you mining his rainbow blowhole when he collapses? That's about a 15% chance times three chances.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
I've hired so many cats. When I went to see who to train in my roster I discovered I had almost hit the 60 limit of hired cats. Boomerang cats, cats to support a group, shenanigans cats, cats for every situation.

I realize I may have a problem.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Dreamy Souffle posted:

I've hired so many cats. When I went to see who to train in my roster I discovered I had almost hit the 60 limit of hired cats. Boomerang cats, cats to support a group, shenanigans cats, cats for every situation.

I realize I may have a problem.

Yes. They didn't give us enough cat slots.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Do HR monsters have a higher stun tolerance or something? It's taking way more knocks on the head to KO them.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
I'm running out of names for my cats :/ I'm doing a gimmick where they're all named after Marvel Asgardians (except Loki, who is obviously not Asgardian).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SilverGryphon posted:

I'm running out of names for my cats :/ I'm doing a gimmick where they're all named after Marvel Asgardians (except Loki, who is obviously not Asgardian).

I brought back the cat pun list I made in the 4U thread. Still classic.

• Locked thread