Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they needed the excuse that Tripolydine was the cause of any explosions/fire. Any evidence of arson would raise a red flag. But if they find out Tripolydine is unstable and explodes easily then it could just be assumed it was a tragic mistake.

Though in retrospect, if Tripolydine is unstable then it's pretty useless as a fuel additive. Was the plan then? I can't remember. Insurance fraud? How would he collect if he's supposedly dead? All I remember is "$10 million dollars, Luther. 10 mil."

E:VVV Oh yeah. Now it's coming back to me.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's been a while since I watched the episode but I want to say they already had the money which they embezzled from the government grants they got to develop the tripolydine. Although you'd think someone would think up a good use for such a highly explosive fuel and they could sell it for more than "Ten mil."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just figure out a way to stabilize it until you need it to be unstable and market it as an explosive. Or if you want to get away with the embezzlement and you have millions of dollars and you already plan on pretending Big Oil wants to hurt you just have your stuff blown up and frame big oil. Make the accelerant a bunch of gasoline.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

You know what films were oddly good? Roger Corman's It Conquered The World and The Undead.

Most of Corman's films are like that. They're not really "great" but the amount of heart he and his actors put into his films really elevates them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that really bugs me about Riding with Death is that someone liked Critter enough to bring him back for another episode. Uh, I mean the back half of the movie.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
That'll put some sookie in your dookie!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mokinokaro posted:

Most of Corman's films are like that. They're not really "great" but the amount of heart he and his actors put into his films really elevates them.

I think the strangest Corman film they riffed was Night of the Bloodbeast, because almost to the end it seems to be a neat twist on the Alien Interloper movie, and then "wait, the studio says we need to kill the alien. Okay, bombs away!"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

I think the strangest Corman film they riffed was Night of the Bloodbeast, because almost to the end it seems to be a neat twist on the Alien Interloper movie, and then "wait, the studio says we need to kill the alien. Okay, bombs away!"

NotBB is my favorite MST3k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZoQdNXCdc

"Well we had to snap him in two like a frozen dog to get him out of the space capsule"

I still regret losing my copy of the special thanksgiving edition.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Guys, this Riding With Death discussion is great and all, but can you keep it down? I need to finish working on these patent papers.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
It might help if you keep your patent papers at a slight angle.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hadn't seen this mentioned: Trace and Frank have started a movie podcast called Movie Sign With The Mads. They're only five episodes in but it's been really good so far. It's not really a "bad movie" podcast as much as they pick a movie, then talk about it, its genre, and related films.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I hadn't seen this mentioned: Trace and Frank have started a movie podcast called Movie Sign With The Mads. They're only five episodes in but it's been really good so far. It's not really a "bad movie" podcast as much as they pick a movie, then talk about it, its genre, and related films.

I think someone mentioned it before earlier in this thread or another but there's no harm in bringing it up again. I'm just diving into their talk about the Warriors and it's pretty good so far. I was a little turned off by Trace being on a phone line but they all deal with it pretty well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that really bugs me about Riding with Death is that someone liked Critter enough to bring him back for another episode. Uh, I mean the back half of the movie.

I'm more perturbed that Sam, who supposedly obtained a law degree from Harvard Law School, was the best choice to go on an underwater salvage mission. And that he somehow managed to fit in "learn to drive a big rig" and "welding" classes somewhere in there, too.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The Ape of Naples posted:

NotBB is my favorite MST3k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZoQdNXCdc

"Well we had to snap him in two like a frozen dog to get him out of the space capsule"

I still regret losing my copy of the special thanksgiving edition.

Yeah I really love that episode; everything about it.

Steves don't preach, I'm in trouble deep!

I still have the Thanksgiving version somewhere. Potatoes v stuffing is great and Bridget as Mr B is pretty much the only thing I've liked her in.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

I still have the Thanksgiving version somewhere. Potatoes v stuffing is great and Bridget as Mr B is pretty much the only thing I've liked her in.

She was ok as Nuveena. Or however that's spelled.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandomPauI posted:

I think he bad guys at the start of riding with death should have molotoved the warehouse immediately after leaving. And molotoved the rear of the truck after "hijacking" the doc.

Doc's gone, gas and explosives burned everything up, clean and clear.

I think someone should've Molotov'd Riding with Death, personally

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Thank you for reminding me of Riding with Death. I just started watching it and I had completely forgotten about the glasses cleaning scene/gag and it absolutely killed me.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think someone should've Molotov'd Riding with Death, personally

That Abbie though. She's some gal. :allears:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Double Agent posted:

That Abbie though. She's some gal. :allears:

Is she in heaven?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think she'd look that bad bald.

My well oiled chassis is coming up on your backside

My rigid grill structure is bearing down on your unprotected cargo door.

My oft complimented Peterbilt is rhythmically nudging that sweet honeypot of yours

Drained and satisfied I'm tracing lazy circles on your supercab now.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

Is she in heaven?

Go get 'em, Sam! Give it the old college try!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Datacorp, providing personnel decisions in management consulting for exploiting your core competencies with an eye towards productivity and connectivity.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm more perturbed that Sam, who supposedly obtained a law degree from Harvard Law School, was the best choice to go on an underwater salvage mission. And that he somehow managed to fit in "learn to drive a big rig" and "welding" classes somewhere in there, too.

Hey, so he took shop at Harvard.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BooDoug187 posted:

Hey, so he took shop at Harvard.

He lands a goddamn 747 in the pilot. Pilot episode I mean.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Well he's a Coke guy, but the Wetzel's Pretzels has the best Pepsi. That mall is all Pepsi.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HungryMedusa posted:

The Thanksgiving version was the episode I taped and rewatched. Was dumbfounded some time later catching a rerun and it had different host segments.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been doing a complete end-to-end rewatch of MST3K. Last night was Mighty Jack.

I didn't remember it being that boring.

Another banking turn!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm doing the same thing. It's taken me seven years but I just watched Hamlet. Honestly, if you have it as the background while you're doing something else it's not bad. It's been a long process.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I just rewatched Wild Rebels, and that's a really fun one that's even better than I remembered. I love how the running joke in this sort of film is reducing biker gangs to a bunch of adult children with goofy nicknames, and Wild Rebels Cereal is a standout sketch in a season that featured quite a few of their best. Also I forgot they were still figuring out Gypsy's character at this point, and this is probably the first episode where she has more to say than "Richard Basehart" (in a voice considerably different from what Mallon would end up using).

Also, what was up with the biker film kick they were on in Season 2? I'm not complaining as they're all great episodes, but I don't think there was ever another case where they really pursued a specific non-sci-fi genre like they did here.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The industrial arts teach many valuable skills that you can use in a variety of ways. Don't you remember the short?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I thought Joe Don Baker was genuinely scary in that scene from Fletch where he's threatening to kill Fletch in the jail cell. He was funny in Mars Attacks! (and I just realized that Jack Black plays his son). I was disappointed he didn't come back for Joe Dirt 2 until everything else I heard about Joe Dirt 2.

Mitchel actually does some heroic stuff. He's told to drop the case but keeps investigating, figures out what's going, and brings people to (bloody) justice. It's a rogue cop move with an everyman protagonist and it's an idea that can work. But instead of the chubby wisecracker we often get as the everyman, Baker ends up looking like a slovenly jerk. Throw in that bedroom scene and the general unappealingness of the 70's and it's just too gross to take.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 12, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

The industrial arts teach many valuable skills that you can use in a variety of ways. Don't you remember the short?

Oh I do. Just before Skydivers. But I'm blanking on the 747 part. Maybe that falls under "tool operator"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Joe Don Baker had a GREAT small role in Mud as a local big shot looking for revenge against Matthew McConaughey.

Mud is actually pretty drat awesome in general and worth checking out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh yeah, he was the arms dealer in The Living Daylights!

Looking at his filmography, it's... actually kind of shameful that that's the only non-MST3K film I've seen that he's in.

DivisionPost posted:

Joe Don Baker had a GREAT small role in Mud as a local big shot looking for revenge against Matthew McConaughey.

Mud is actually pretty drat awesome in general and worth checking out.

Added to the Netflix queue. Thanks!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 12, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's everyone's favorite short?

I have to go with Last Clear Chance.

Why don't they look Paul....why don't they look?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The only one I really remember is A Case of Spring Fever. Noooooo springs!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Last Clear Chance and Days of our Years are both great.

I think A Date With Your Family is my favorite.

A voilent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hh4M4vipAo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

Last Clear Chance and Days of our Years are both great.

I think A Date With Your Family is my favorite.

A voilent argument erupts over whose day was more pleasant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hh4M4vipAo
Yeah, that's my favorite too. The way Mike delivers "their stomachs knotted like FISTS" gets me every time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Progress Island USA for sure. Unfortunately it happens to be attached to the episode that has one of my least favorite shorts, Money Talks. Even riffed, all that condescension is painful to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

OldTennisCourt posted:

Days of Our Years is mine.