Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It sucks and was pretty much expected to happen, but it was in Nintendo's rights to do it. At least the game is floating out there on the internet now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I don't get why people make things that skirt just above being a copyright infringement when they could be doing something that's directly inspired by those things

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I don't get why people make things that skirt just above being a copyright infringement when they could be doing something that's directly inspired by those things

They were doing it as a fan project and it started when they were a hell of a lot younger.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Because a huge chunk of companies are ok with people making fan stuff, its actually quite rare for a company to squash a project like this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

They were doing it as a fan project and it started when they were a hell of a lot younger.

To add onto this, it was being worked on for over a decade.

Alteisen posted:

Because a huge chunk of companies are ok with people making fan stuff, its actually quite rare for a company to squash a project like this.

Really? Seems like it would be the other way around to be honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fan projects generate interest and allow you to mine the source material for ideas and assets

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I think it might have to do with the attention it gets, like AMR2 got articles about it on some websites, I think that Nintendo Power archive also got a mention somewhere.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Because sometimes people are just passionate about that world/lore and want to contribute to it. On that feeling, it just isn't the same when you work on something.

Fan Games are a work of passion, and that's not just because of the fact that it's a small group/single person developing the whole game usually.

Dr. Fetus posted:

There are a lot of fan projects and works and stuff out there, companies can't really afford to squash every little thing that comes up.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Honestly the reason AM2R was hit with a DMCA while other fangames don't is probably more to do with it being a "remake" than anything else. With this sort of stuff it usually never is about the individual project and more about how others can cite that in court. So with this case it probably was a worry that some group/company could argue that if they allow this then anyone should be allowed to do remakes/updates of any Nintendo game, which could then potentially be stretched from there. Also the high profile nature of the it definately was a contributing factor with the takedown when compared to most other fan games.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's a real shame too because I'm like 4 hours in and it is really good

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Games › Let's talk about Metroid

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LemonLimeTime posted:

I beat NES Metroid just last night! It wasn't the first time I did it, but I did manage to actually get through Tourian in one go rather than get up to Mother Brain, die, then try again (it's easier the second time because the barriers stay destroyed).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's been so long since I played Super Metroid that I need to have another go. Just re-finished Fusion and moving on to Zero Mission on handhelds. I forgot how tense Fusion can be - sneaking around the SR-X had my heart racing like I was playing Silent Hill or something.

TBH I played Metroid II exactly once, so I really don't know how faithful the fan-remake is. I don't think the original had all the Chozo technology areas and poo poo, and I've seen at least one boss ripped from Super Metroid (the Chozo statue that walks around that you have to shoot in the stomach). I also think most of the upgrades in the remake are from Super, not from II (Super Missiles, Space Jump and Spazer beam are the only 3 I've encountered so far, but the inventory screen makes it appear that Plasma Beam, Screw Attack and Power Bombs are in too. Not sure if any of those were in MII.

The logic is circular too, because I'm not sure what assets came from Super Metroid, but I'm also not sure which assets in Fusion were originally in Metroid II, since the whole plot of Fusion is the space station recreates SR-388 :iiam:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LemonLimeTime posted:

Dead IP fans need to stick together.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Phantasium posted:

Badly diminished and bastardized IP fans need to stick together.

ftfy, on the off chance you haven't seen the Federation Force trailer yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7moeWarhw

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

drunk asian neighbor posted:

ftfy, on the off chance you haven't seen the Federation Force trailer yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7moeWarhw

Who is this for, fans of Metroid but also think that Samus and the Metroids themselves were just getting in the way?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 11, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

redbackground posted:

Who is this for, fans of Metroid but also think that Samus and the Metroids themselves were just getting in the way?

I have no loving clue. I actually really liked the Prime series, too, but this thing is just...I don't even know.

And I've heard all the justifications about how they're trying something new, and the aesthetic is designed to look good on a handheld, etc. etc. Prime was a massive departure for the series, but at least it was an awesome game. Didn't they learn anything from Other M?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honestly it looks fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

You know Metroid is in fact about a Metal Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

It is a spinoff of Metroid that has been in development in various forms for years. It's only probably getting done because they needed a cheap game to fill their schedules while they prep for the NX.

It is never intended to be The Next Metroid Game any more than Mario Kart is intended to be the next Mario game or Link's Crossbow Training the new Zelda. It's filler using an established IP.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Honestly it looks fun.

It could end up being fun, but it's about as much a Metroid game as Misadventures of Tron Bonne was a Mega Man game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is a spinoff of Metroid that has been in development in various forms for years. It's only probably getting done because they needed a cheap game to fill their schedules while they prep for the NX.

It is never intended to be The Next Metroid Game any more than Mario Kart is intended to be the next Mario game or Link's Crossbow Training the new Zelda. It's filler using an established IP.

Yeah, but at least Metroid Pinball didn't follow the worst game in the series.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid Pinball was also really awesome

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

federation force would be fine if it was coming at a time when metroid games were released regularly but since the series has been dead or worse for like a decade now it feels weird

of course acting like it's some sort of slap in the face to metroid fans is stupid, but

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Endorph posted:

of course acting like it's some sort of slap in the face to metroid fans is stupid, but

You must be new here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Endorph posted:

federation force would be fine if it was coming at a time when metroid games were released regularly but since the series has been dead or worse for like a decade now it feels weird

My issue is mainly that you could give the game any other name that didn't have the word "Metroid" in it and nobody would ever know or care, whereas Prime, Other M and even Pinball or Hunters were all very definitely Metroid games in either aesthetic, gameplay or both.

I mean I'm not all "ARGLEBARGLE I WANT A REAL METROID GAME." I understand that out of the big 3 companies, Nintendo is the one that is best at exiting its comfort zone and trying new things with existing IPs (see: Metroid Prime, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Hyrule Warriors, etc.), and they'd rather try something new than make another 2D old-school Metroid game, but...I dunno. I guess I kind of would really like another 2D old-school Metroid game (like, say AM2R :v:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Metroid is kind of like Mega Man in that it isn't as popular as its reputation would have you think, though it has a benefit of being noticeably more popular in the west than in Japan. This leaves it in a weird place in that it's popular enough to keep reviving but not popular enough to really reliably get new games on a regular basis. You can point to Metroid Prime which certainly wasn't badly received or a bad seller but you can also point to the fact that after Metroid Prime Retro moved on to Donkey Kong Country Returns which sold more than the entire Prime Trilogy including spinoffs put together.

If you were Nintendo would you rather Retro keep making Donkey Kong games or Metroid games after that? Tropical Freeze did way worse than Returns (likely partially due to Wii U vs Wii) but it still sold as well as the original Metroid Prime.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

Mostly this.

Speaking of the remake I just now realized that the bosses don't turn redder as they get weaker, or do they? I miss that. I'm just like halfway through and the battles are fun but maybe a bit longer than they should. But also I suspect I faced a couple of them before it was "properly" intended.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

It is never intended to be The Next Metroid Game any more than Mario Kart is intended to be the next Mario game or Link's Crossbow Training the new Zelder. It's filler using an established IP.

Filler is fine when your franchise isn't dead.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What impresses me about Federation Force is that graphically, it somehow looks worse than Hunters.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I definitely fought the Chozo statue and that armored Sonic the Hedgehog spindash guy earlier than I should have. Sequence breakers gotta sequence break :v:

I gotta say Hard mode is pretty brutal, at least for bosses. Also I really loving hate the Metroids themselves, tiny hit boxes and if you run out of missiles you're totally hosed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id get platinum to make metroid: revengeance, if i was nintendo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:agreed: except Metroid Vanquish (Revengeance was awesome too tho)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Platinum Metroid would probably be what Other M was supposed to be.

Well what it looked like from that initial trailer anyway.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I also think most of the upgrades in the remake are from Super, not from II (Super Missiles, Space Jump and Spazer beam are the only 3 I've encountered so far, but the inventory screen makes it appear that Plasma Beam, Screw Attack and Power Bombs are in too. Not sure if any of those were in MII.

Spazer, Plasma Beam, and Space Jump were definitely in Metroid II. Screw Attack first appeared in the original Metroid. Super Missiles and Power Bombs were SM though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Augus posted:

You know Metroid is in fact about a Metal Man.

It sounds like someone never beat the game in under two hours!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Spazer, Plasma Beam, and Space Jump were definitely in Metroid II. Screw Attack first appeared in the original Metroid. Super Missiles and Power Bombs were SM though.

Doy, how did I forget Screw Attack in the original game? Probably because it wasn't as flashy as in SM I guess. Man, Metroid II seems like a way deeper game than I assumed. I always thought that it was just a slight upgrade from the original, and Super Metroid was where all the real meat got added in (not sure why Spider Ball wasn't in SM though...)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's got to be pretty hard to design around the ability to go anywhere that there's a wall. Also, SM had wall jumping which is kind of a more limited equivalent that you get right from the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Filler is fine when your franchise isn't dead.

I think it's a bit silly to call Metroid dead. It's never been a particularly prolific franchise.

Metroid was released in 1986 and didn't get a sequel until 1991. Super Metroid came (relatively) soon afterwards in 1994 and then the next Metroid game was in 2002.

To put it another way: There is less time between the release of Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XV (discounting spinoffs entirely) than between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion.

The only time we got a big "Metroid Boom" was during the Prime years. Which was admittedly pretty nice but has never really been the normal for the franchise. It's been about 6 years since Other M and odds are fairly good a new Metroid will be an NX title so we're basically back onto the usual Metroid release schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's a bit silly to call Metroid dead.

People have been calling Metroid Dread for a while now, actually.