Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't really care what the movies are like, what's important is that they get overshadowed by memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't really care what the movies are like, what's important is that they get overshadowed by memes.

grimdark needs to have a word filter. "puppies, rainbows, oh my!" or something would suffice.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Clearly the ultimate villain in the DC Cinematic Universe needs to be Superboy Prime, played by Cavill doing nothing but overemphatic facial emoting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

grimdark needs to have a word filter. "puppies, rainbows, oh my!" or something would suffice.
You're letting them kill I DON'T ACTUALLY WATCH MOVIES!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

It would have to be a plot involving like 3-4 of Flash's rogues trying to take him down for Cpt. Boomerang to feel like a threat. He was just in a ensemble cast though so they might shy away from that.

Given how Ezra Miller comes across in the JL trailer I could dig a Flash solo movie where him and his rogue gallery slowly and carefully try to figure out this whole dynamic. Like, the goal isn't for Captain Boomerang to become a threat in the classical sense, it's to become enough of a threat to be noticed but not enough of a threat for the Flash to get angry.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mortanis posted:

Clearly the ultimate villain in the DC Cinematic Universe needs to be Superboy Prime, played by Cavill doing nothing but overemphatic facial emoting.

Superboy Prime will be played by a 3d cgi cube with a neutral Cavill face stretched on each face of the cube.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

Emotional acting range encompasses transitions between emotional states and I've explained the logic clearly. There is no "nah" to this, so put a little more effort into your responses. You are giving pushback because you didn't understand this and decided I had to be put in my place.

I understand it, I just disagree. And you did too when you openly described "range" as "range plus something else." That's what's so funny about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Given how Ezra Miller comes across in the JL trailer I could dig a Flash solo movie where him and his rogue gallery slowly and carefully try to figure out this whole dynamic. Like, the goal isn't for Captain Boomerang to become a threat in the classical sense, it's to become enough of a threat to be noticed but not enough of a threat for the Flash to get angry.

That would be pretty neat. Kind of like a cold war of sorts between common criminal and superhero.

A movie where Cold, Heatwave, Boomerang, +1 more trying to pull off a series of simultaneous heists to ensure at least one gets the group a huge payday would be fun.

e: However, that might be running pretty close to the tv show.

I totally expect an Evil Speedster though even with the tv show blowing through them.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 11, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MacheteZombie posted:

A movie where Cold, Heatwave, Boomerang, +1 more trying to pull off a series of simultaneous heists to ensure at least one gets the group a huge payday would be fun.

Ocean's Eleven with Flash's Rogue Gallery and Flash playing the Andy Garcia role.

A man can dream

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ocean's Eleven with Flash's Rogue Gallery and Flash playing the Andy Garcia role.

A man can dream

Haha omg, I'm picturing him in the tv show suit and I can't stop chuckling. Thank you for this mental image.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope they save the Evil Speedster for the next big crossover movie. Like a stinger with Zoom pulling on a red boot and saying "Fine, I'll do it myself!" after Flash I.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I understand it, I just disagree. And you did too when you openly described "range" as "range plus something else." That's what's so funny about it.

I never said "plus something else". I corrected you when you claimed I left something out and explained why I hadn't. You've convinced yourself I had because it is the only argument you have.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

I never said "plus something else".

Judakel posted:

We only witness the range itself, which is the full extent of the range and the transitions between emotions.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope they save the Evil Speedster for the next big crossover movie. Like a stinger with Zoom pulling on a red boot and saying "Fine, I'll do it myself!" after Flash I.

I'm kinda torn on the different TV and movie 'verses because man, Tom Cavanaugh chewing up the big screen as Eobard Thawne would be just dandy.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yes, that is me telling you what it is. Are you even paying attention? I just said that in my previous reply to you.That is not "plus something else" in anyone's definition but yours, which conveniently leaves out a crucial element of what emotional range is in the context of acting in order to challenge me on it. You could not get more circular.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

That is not "plus something else" in anyone's definition but yours

Justify this.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Justify this.

The fact no one would call an actor who displays a wide range of emotions but transitions between states poorly an actor with range. They'd call him wooden. No one would perceive it as a wide range.

See: Keanu

Judakel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 11, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Do we know who Wonder Woman's villain is going to be? Other than the Central Powers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

The fact no one would call an actor who displays a wide range of emotions but transitions between states poorly an actor with range. They'd call him wooden. No one would perceive it as a wide range.

See: Keanu

Yes, but who gives a poo poo.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes, but who gives a poo poo.

Sir Kodiak. The poster who asked me to justify it.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

CaptainYesterday posted:

Do we know who Wonder Woman's villain is going to be? Other than the Central Powers.

In a movie about World War the villain is almost guaranteed to be Ares.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A kind person reminded me I was engaging with Judakel. My apologies, folks. I won't let it happen again.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

A kind person reminded me I was engaging with Judakel. My apologies, folks. I won't let it happen again.

I accept your concession.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Accept an invitation back to GBS.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Crow and A History of Violence are my favorite comic book movies thus far, followed by the Nolan Batman flicks and Dredd. Also the Rurouni Kenshin live-action trilogy from a couple years ago.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Judakel posted:

I accept your concession.

You've spent however many pages dropping poorly-worded truisms (e.g. "acting is a thing that exists") instead of making an actual point. Not only is your writing intellectually sterile, you're actively discouraging people from even attempting to salvage it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You've spent however many pages dropping poorly-worded truisms (e.g. "acting is a thing that exists") instead of making an actual point. Not only is your writing intellectually sterile, you're actively discouraging people from even attempting to salvage it.

SMG wrote this. Think on your sins, Judakel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was watching the a ultimate edition and the cheesesteak was solid. I like BvS quite a bit.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Turn Left Thread! Nooooooooooooo

The Hulk Gladiator gear looks cool. Suicide Squad was not particularly good. I wonder if the MoS sequel rumor is true. I hope the new solo Batfleck movie is good. Finally saw a Brie Larson movie and she is really fantastic, but I'm not sure how it translates into a superhero role.

Someone take one of those and run with it!

It's strange to think how excited I am for Thor 3. I'm really not familiar with the source comics at all but from the stuff people have said here it sounds like it could be drawing from some good storylines, it has a director I really like, and the cast is extremely solid. (Then again I was looking forward to Thor 2 due to the director and cast also, but both are much stronger this time around.)

Ten years ago I never would have thought that the comic book movies I would be most looking forward to would be Thor 3, Spider Man 6, Black Panther, Valerian, and Wonder Woman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

It's strange to think how excited I am for Thor 3. I'm really not familiar with the source comics at all but from the stuff people have said here it sounds like it could be drawing from some good storylines, it has a director I really like, and the cast is extremely solid. (Then again I was looking forward to Thor 2 due to the director and cast also, but both are much stronger this time around.)

Ten years ago I never would have thought that the comic book movies I would be most looking forward to would be Thor 3, Spider Man 6, Black Panther, Valerian, and Wonder Woman.

I've pretty much completely hated both Thor movies but I'm really excited for this one, probably more so than for any other upcoming comic book movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I enjoyed both Thor films so maybe I am the weird one, but them having Bruce Banner in the new film has me totally stoked because I loooooove Mark Ruffalo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I enjoyed both Thor films so maybe I am the weird one, but them having Bruce Banner in the new film has me totally stoked because I loooooove Mark Ruffalo.

Hemsworth and Ruffalo in a buddy movie where they go to space and Jeff Goldblum makes them fight, directed by the dandy vampire from What We Do in the Shadows, sounds so loving good that I can honestly only be disappointed probably.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hemsworth and Ruffalo in a buddy movie where they go to space and Jeff Goldblum makes them fight, directed by the dandy vampire from What We Do in the Shadows, sounds so loving good that I can honestly only be disappointed probably.

Same.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The biggest disappointment will probably be that, like most things, it won't have enough Goldblum. But, still, Boogey's post is basically just a list of great ideas to stick in one place.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I haven't gotten around to watching the Thor movies at all because they just don't interest me - even with the presence of Idris Elba - but I'm psyched about this. This and Civil War are to me the first time they've actually pushed what they can do with the shared universe concept to interesting places.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel like none of the things that make the film seem interesting have anything to do with "what they can do with the shared universe concept."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like none of the things that make the film seem interesting have anything to do with "what they can do with the shared universe concept."

It's probably better this way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I haven't gotten around to watching the Thor movies at all because they just don't interest me

They're loving bad, dude. People around here talk about Whedon's Avengers movies with a lot of antipathy, but for me that's the Thor movies. The second one in particular is painful in how tedious and by-the-numbers it makes everything.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That and Karl Urban is playing Skurge the Executioner which means they are probably going to recreate the most badass scene in comic books :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It's probably better this way.

Well yeah.

• Locked thread