Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/09/wwe-2k17-finn-balors-full-ring-entrance

woo boy does that not look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

doesnt look good in real life either

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The big thing they were hyping last I was paying attention was "the return of fighting in the crowd", but so much of the hardcore stuff and OMG moments and whatever is already so inconsequential and dull. One of the 2K series' real problems is its rigid adherence to deciding matches via finishers / late-match signatures (/ rollups and dirty pins). All the cool spots you can do typically put you at a disadvantage because they all take place outside the ring and like every finisher there's a window of time beyond which you can no longer get the 3, so the only effect of putting a guy through a table or hitting a plancha is giving them more time to mount a comeback win while you build up the momentum to land another move that can end the match.

There's so little drama in the space between pinfall / submission-capable finisher acquisitions. One of the things that makes you miss the AKI games and how a knock-down drag out fight could be ended at any time. But there has to be a middle ground between 2K-style "kick out of the first finisher and every mundane move" and FPW-style "kick out of a high cross before submitting to a resthold". I feel like classic AKI provided that.

That's not even getting into how crowd fighting is a recycled feature.

But by God I'll keep getting the games if they make the sort of marginal improvements to universe mode as they did last cycle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Why the gently caress did they put the chainsaw version in? It looked awful when he really did it!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

It was nice of them to give the 2k14 graphics engine another shot.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I was going to say they should do the Finn entrance when he teleported irl but it would probably look ridiculous and idiotic in a video game. Even though he really did it he teleported you guys.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basic Chunnel posted:

The big thing they were hyping last I was paying attention was "the return of fighting in the crowd", but so much of the hardcore stuff and OMG moments and whatever is already so inconsequential and dull. One of the 2K series' real problems is its rigid adherence to deciding matches via finishers / late-match signatures (/ rollups and dirty pins). All the cool spots you can do typically put you at a disadvantage because they all take place outside the ring and like every finisher there's a window of time beyond which you can no longer get the 3, so the only effect of putting a guy through a table or hitting a plancha is giving them more time to mount a comeback win while you build up the momentum to land another move that can end the match.

There's so little drama in the space between pinfall / submission-capable finisher acquisitions. One of the things that makes you miss the AKI games and how a knock-down drag out fight could be ended at any time. But there has to be a middle ground between 2K-style "kick out of the first finisher and every mundane move" and FPW-style "kick out of a high cross before submitting to a resthold". I feel like classic AKI provided that.

This is the biggest irritation for me, too. It especially kills the career and some parts of the Universe mode, because every random match on Main Event involves like, Jey Uso kicking out of a Steiner screwdriver.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

I don't know why... What continues to bother me to this day are the crowd animations. The defaults of the jumping, the first pumps, clapping, just seem so out of place half the time.

It's a minor complaint compared to other things, but that Finn Balor entrance makes it so hard to not notice it. On the plus side everybody goes Woooooooo and throws up their arms. So I guess it cancels out?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

note news item above the pregnancy

tough day

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

congrats to Sexy Lady

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
It wasn't on the same day like that, but in my game D-Bry and Brie divorced a couple of weeks into her pregnancy.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WWE 2k17 has no showcase/flashback mode.

https://wwe.2k.com/news/wwe-2k17-features

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

How long ago was Hogan thrown out of the company? One wonders if a MNW showcase was planned before his blacklisting made that essentially impossible. Not that I mind, hopefully if their budget wasn't cut those resources could go to more fun aspects of the game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

WWE 2k17 has no showcase/flashback mode.

https://wwe.2k.com/news/wwe-2k17-features
Good job they're not mostly marketing around a star from 15 years ago then

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Still no storyline mode? We're never going to see a VGCW renaissance at this rate.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
TEW Update: Finally got Kevin Steen to sign for me, despite the hit I took for picking up the guy known nationally for his big prostitution scandal. Had him debut by murdering AJ Styles live on TV (I've managed to hire a bunch of older WWE guys who they didn't make big money plays for). I've hit National size as well.

So the top programs at the moment seem to be:

WWE - John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio
Dean Ambrose + Bray Wyatt vs Roman Reigns + Seth Rollins
Moose vs SANADA
Adam Cole vs Dolph Ziggler vs Miz (not an actual storyline, these three just seem to face each other in some match on every WWE show for the past 6 months. Realism)

TNA - Eddie Edwards vs Abyss
Finn Balor vs Kenta

My company - AJ Styles vs Kevin Steen
Kyle O'Reilly + Neville/PAC vs Young Bucks (Bobby Fish got old and was replaced by a new 'excellent chemistry' partner)
Kota Ibushi vs La Sombra
Cesaro vs Shinsuke Nakamura

what a golden age of pro wrasslin'

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basic Chunnel posted:

How long ago was Hogan thrown out of the company? One wonders if a MNW showcase was planned before his blacklisting made that essentially impossible. Not that I mind, hopefully if their budget wasn't cut those resources could go to more fun aspects of the game.

It happened long enough ago that he was removed from the previous game, so I doubt that was a factor here.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Basic Chunnel posted:

I wonder if it's because they couldn't secure Kurt Angle or Rey Mysterio. Can't make a Lesnar mode without those two.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rollersnake posted:

Still no storyline mode? We're never going to see a VGCW renaissance at this rate.

I feel like they're partially referring to that when they say "components we know you're going to ask about." Now whether it's implemented is a whole other deal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

I wonder if it's because they couldn't secure Kurt Angle or Rey Mysterio. Can't make a Lesnar mode without those two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Career mode is the bigger concern to me. It was introduced in 2k15 and somehow got even worse in 2k16.

I don't want to have to play 4 meaningless B-show matches to get to the the PPV/feud stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Career mode is the bigger concern to me. It was introduced in 2k15 and somehow got even worse in 2k16.

I don't want to have to play 4 meaningless B-show matches to get to the the PPV/feud stuff.

Mode is accurate to pre-brand split WWE, then.

I really like the emphasis on a promo/dialogue system because if you're going all in to making a WWE game, not just a wrestling game, then promos are a big part of the show. It always felt lacking in Universe where the only things you could do were matches and maybe a staredown/run-in.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

TEW Update: Finally got Kevin Steen to sign for me, despite the hit I took for picking up the guy known nationally for his big prostitution scandal. Had him debut by murdering AJ Styles live on TV (I've managed to hire a bunch of older WWE guys who they didn't make big money plays for). I've hit National size as well.

So the top programs at the moment seem to be:

WWE - John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio
Dean Ambrose + Bray Wyatt vs Roman Reigns + Seth Rollins
Moose vs SANADA
Adam Cole vs Dolph Ziggler vs Miz (not an actual storyline, these three just seem to face each other in some match on every WWE show for the past 6 months. Realism)

TNA - Eddie Edwards vs Abyss
Finn Balor vs Kenta

My company - AJ Styles vs Kevin Steen
Kyle O'Reilly + Neville/PAC vs Young Bucks (Bobby Fish got old and was replaced by a new 'excellent chemistry' partner)
Kota Ibushi vs La Sombra
Cesaro vs Shinsuke Nakamura

what a golden age of pro wrasslin'

I love the bizarre places companies end up at. in my Montreal Aftermath Road to Glory game, it's late 2003 and WWE brought back The Rockers; HBK's personality strangely saw a massive improvement the second Trips' contract expired, so he didn't destroy the locker room and the company like he seems to in other sims. to fight The Rockers, they paired up Hollywood Hogan & Owen Hart. Big Show and Mankind have been feuding for the title for about a year and a half while putting on 5 star matches over and over, which is not quite as long as the now 2.5 year old WCW feud of Triple H vs. Goldberg where Goldberg just now got his first clean win. Trips ended up staying with Joanie Laurer and they just got engaged and are destined for happiness, only made possible because Chris Hero started dating Stephanie McMahon somehow. Sexy Lexy has the belt for WCW and has been driving the company into the ground for 8 months. quite sad to see them fallen so far from the days when Kevin Nash was putting on 4.5+ star matches every week followed by longtime rival Alex Wright got the best of him and went on a huge business-altering run.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Aye Doc posted:

I love the bizarre places companies end up at. in my Montreal Aftermath Road to Glory game, it's late 2003 and WWE brought back The Rockers; HBK's personality strangely saw a massive improvement the second Trips' contract expired, so he didn't destroy the locker room and the company like he seems to in other sims. to fight The Rockers, they paired up Hollywood Hogan & Owen Hart. Big Show and Mankind have been feuding for the title for about a year and a half while putting on 5 star matches over and over, which is not quite as long as the now 2.5 year old WCW feud of Triple H vs. Goldberg where Goldberg just now got his first clean win. Trips ended up staying with Joanie Laurer and they just got engaged and are destined for happiness, only made possible because Chris Hero started dating Stephanie McMahon somehow. Sexy Lexy has the belt for WCW and has been driving the company into the ground for 8 months. quite sad to see them fallen so far from the days when Kevin Nash was putting on 4.5+ star matches every week followed by longtime rival Alex Wright got the best of him and went on a huge business-altering run.

I wish I could go back in time to 2003 and have The Rockers vs Hollywood Hogan and Owen Hart be a reality

not just because Owen Hart would be alive

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

What part of "divas revolution" isn't an obvious choice here? Like, just celebrate women of decades gone by to today, and throw in a mini Lesnar focus post 2012 thing as a second showcase or something to placate all the easily offended types. I can understand it's a big deal to make the matches in showcase but it just seems so lazy to straight give up like this. I love showcase as a documentary on wwe history, like it connects the dumb games back to the real world.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

remember when the four horsewomen werent in the last game at all haha

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
In TEW, is title prestige based around match quality? I'm playing NJPW and my title has gone down from A to B. WWE's has gone down from A to B-. I'm wondering if it's even possible to maintain an A rating for a title.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's that or titleholder overness or more likely some combination of the two. But the way titles work is backwards anyway - it seems like they tend to throttle match ratings more than match ratings affect title prestige. Theoretically it could positively affect matches but I've only seen it listed as dragging matches down. Their mechanical function seems to be locking the people who fight for them into the title's place on the card.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Twisted Eye posted:

What part of "divas revolution" isn't an obvious choice here? Like, just celebrate women of decades gone by to today, and throw in a mini Lesnar focus post 2012 thing as a second showcase or something to placate all the easily offended types. I can understand it's a big deal to make the matches in showcase but it just seems so lazy to straight give up like this. I love showcase as a documentary on wwe history, like it connects the dumb games back to the real world.

The Diva's Revolution was only meant to get one woman over and she's not a wrestler.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You'll also remember that 2K16 was a POLITICAL HIT which is why none of the Four Horsewomen are currently over with crowds. All part of the plan

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

triplexpac posted:

In TEW, is title prestige based around match quality? I'm playing NJPW and my title has gone down from A to B. WWE's has gone down from A to B-. I'm wondering if it's even possible to maintain an A rating for a title.

I never have any trouble having every title in the company at A* forever

AFAIK it's based on: the level the title is set for, for example a midcard title will never rise above a certain level

Overness of da champ

Match quality

As mentioned above it definitely turns out disastrous if you try to push a guy to the main event while he's holding a midcard or lower level title though, I tend to just game the system and make everything 'floating'

edit: The main reason I'm sure match quality has a big impact is that my tag team titles are always A* basically no matter what, and in TEW if you have tag teams with any ability at all it's almost impossible to have a title match below 'A' rating since for whatever reason tag matches are way higher rated than singles in almost every situation

(the hot shotting of the title is because I literally have someone get injured or signed by WWE every god drat time I change champions)

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 13, 2016

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
If anybody is collecting Topps cards, my name is JubsV1 on all of their apps.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

remember when the four horsewomen werent in the last game at all haha

Then like as soon as the game came out Sasha, Charlotte, and Becky all debuted on Raw.

Basic Chunnel posted:

You'll also remember that 2K16 was a POLITICAL HIT which is why none of the Four Horsewomen are currently over with crowds. All part of the plan

They were apparently not important enough to be included in the game at the time even though all of them had been scanned.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hmm, the biggest criticism of the current gen games from both reviewers and players is how it slavishly tries to recreate the platonic ideal of 2010s WWE instead of being a fun pick up and play wrestling game. How will 2K respond?

2K posted:

Fans have been asking us to truly improve the core gameplay experience since we inherited the brand, and we are taking your requests seriously – from controls to presentation to individual features. We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction with both improved and new gameplay mechanics.

O...k...you're doubling down on a bad idea, but maybe there's some good in there. Surely they've removed the sub-JRPG grinding in MyCareer and made it more fun, right?

2K posted:

MyCareer also gets some exciting new features for WWE 2K17. We incorporated the new Promo Engine, so Superstars can express themselves to the WWE Universe and also call out or respond to other WWE Superstars. Backstage interviews with Renee Young take on a whole new dimension with our new backstage brawling gameplay

Imagine being this tone deaf

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 13, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, just reading that I could muster hope for poo poo like, say, a wide array of promo options including supporting/burying my peers to change their views of me, insulting/praising others to try to force a rivalry/team-up, or just generally show charisma that maybe makes up for my average ring ability like tons of others have done to get my push to the main event sooner and cut down on the grind.

Or with the backstage brawls stuff like, say, interrupting a rival's promo to fight him, or having some crazy kinda match like one old version of these games had where you could run up the ramp and actually transition into a whole new area and poo poo.

I think that, then I remember this is 2K and none of that will happen, it'll be a binary 'heel promo' or 'face promo' thing and MAYBE if we're lucky the 'insult/praise' choice, and backstage brawls will just be a custom match option that will never interact with the proper career mode.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

triplexpac posted:

in addition to what the other posts said, title prestige can be affected by the title being involved in a hot or awful storyline too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, just reading that I could muster hope for poo poo like, say, a wide array of promo options including supporting/burying my peers to change their views of me, insulting/praising others to try to force a rivalry/team-up, or just generally show charisma that maybe makes up for my average ring ability like tons of others have done to get my push to the main event sooner and cut down on the grind.

Or with the backstage brawls stuff like, say, interrupting a rival's promo to fight him, or having some crazy kinda match like one old version of these games had where you could run up the ramp and actually transition into a whole new area and poo poo.

I think that, then I remember this is 2K and none of that will happen, it'll be a binary 'heel promo' or 'face promo' thing and MAYBE if we're lucky the 'insult/praise' choice, and backstage brawls will just be a custom match option that will never interact with the proper career mode.

I'm also guessing you probably won't be able to choose want your guy is saying, either

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Aye Doc posted:

in addition to what the other posts said, title prestige can be affected by the title being involved in a hot or awful storyline too

It seems like the caliber of challengers is also counted.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I've had wwe 2k16 since the day it came out and I think nice only made it like half a year into my career mode. I've seen maybe like two interesting storylines emerge from it and everything else was just bog standard universe mode cut scenes. My career mode is really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I appreciated Showcase Mode in 2k16. I didn't start watching WWE until the mid 2000's, so playing through Steve Austin's run was really cool and the first time I had seen a lot of it. Some of the match requirements were lame of course, but it was challenging at times and actually fun.

OH WELL. The larger roster could be great, as long as it's not a lot of filler characters. Would love to see a fully-represented women's roster.