Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm used to having to use wag bags, might as well throw the tp in with the poo poo. Then double ziploc that poo poo because you're carrying around poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Awesome! I'm about to head into the Evolution Region for 5 days (start tomorrow). This will be my first backpacking trip lasting longer than one night. It took me a few years to accumulate enough good gear and knowledge to do this. I've gone from day-hiking in jeans and cotton T-shirts for three miles to passing through cols at 13,000 ft and "living" outside for awhile. Oh what fun.

Great, thorough book on the sierra, BTW:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-...sses+and+trails

I love the Evolution Basin, great area. I'm planning on spending a night up near Wanda Lake on this trip. Pretty excited in general but man still feel like I have a ton of poo poo to do for it. Kinda wish I was going in September since traffic in the backcountry usually dies down some then, but since a lot of my trip will be off trail then hopefully that will keep the people away...

What trailhead are you going in from?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I went down and got a proper sized pack and I didn't realize that beyond the litre rating that there was also a small through large rating, no wonder the medium I was trying on fitted like poo poo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, normally the small through large affect the liter rating - like, you aren't going to find 70L smalls all over the place.

I find its best to go to the store, try on packs small through large to see what fits best, then buy when it's on sale online.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah I was looking at packs online but after dealing with the spur of the moment pack I had already that I didn't like, I went down to REI And tried on some stuff and asked one of the guys working there for his input. My wife and I are going on a hike that is at least 10 miles next Saturday so I want to make sure that my pack is comfortable and has a system to promote airflow on the back, I am of Mediterranean blood and I get hot and sweat even in the dead of winter, I didn't realize how much having a backpack on my back over the course of a few miles would soak the gently caress out of my back in sweat!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gvibes posted:

Hey, I bought a Scarp II! I liked it, but really have nothing to compare it to. Though I imagine you can find something european for cheaper.

I have no idea what that European alternative would be. I need room in my tents and vestibule(s) for cooking & gear are pretty mandatory. Often weather sucks and no one wants to wait out the bad weather in a bivy bag :v: Scarp II with solid inner is 550€ so that's not too bad considering the tax difference.

theroachman posted:

I recently ordered a down quilt comforter from Nomad, a Dutch manufacturer. Great stuff, super light weight and super toasty. Don't know how their prices compare but the quality is top notch.

I tried to find their webpage but no luck.

-Anders posted:

For a quilt, try looking at Cumulus. They're from within the EU, and generally have quick shipping times and are pretty cheap.

I looked at their quilts but they don't seem to offer models for 200cm tall persons :(

So far I've found Enlightened Equipment's quilt and As Tucas quilt which have long versions too. EE's quilt is down so that looks more interesting.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Ihmemies posted:

I looked at their quilts but they don't seem to offer models for 200cm tall persons :(

Supposedly they're really good about doing custom orders, you can try emailing them if you'd like.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Yeah I was looking at packs online but after dealing with the spur of the moment pack I had already that I didn't like, I went down to REI And tried on some stuff and asked one of the guys working there for his input. My wife and I are going on a hike that is at least 10 miles next Saturday so I want to make sure that my pack is comfortable and has a system to promote airflow on the back, I am of Mediterranean blood and I get hot and sweat even in the dead of winter, I didn't realize how much having a backpack on my back over the course of a few miles would soak the gently caress out of my back in sweat!

deuter packs. Try the speedlite 20 if you want a daypack.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What are the main reasons to use a daypack instead of a regular (school) backpack? It looks like they carry weight better and can fit a hydration pack, but neither one is all that important to me when I'm only carrying 4 kg of water and supplies.

Oh the suspended back thing is cool too, I wonder if there are any generic packs that have that.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

king of the bongo posted:

deuter packs. Try the speedlite 20 if you want a daypack.

All of the Deuter packs they had were the small lady versions, I ended up getting a Gregory Zulu 30. After trying it on and getting the right size and walking around the store, it fit loving perfect. I loaded it up a little last night and wore it on the nightly walk my Wife & I take and it was great, I think it will work out really well next weekend on our hike.

Also on the subject of this pack, it has an integrated rain cover but I cannot for the life of me find the goddamn thing. I searched around the internet, watched some youtube videos, and while they mention that it has a rain cover built in, nothing ever shows where the drat thing is. Anyone know where I might locate it? I am sure that once I find where it is the location will then seem glaringly obvious.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

All of the Deuter packs they had were the small lady versions, I ended up getting a Gregory Zulu 30. After trying it on and getting the right size and walking around the store, it fit loving perfect. I loaded it up a little last night and wore it on the nightly walk my Wife & I take and it was great, I think it will work out really well next weekend on our hike.

Also on the subject of this pack, it has an integrated rain cover but I cannot for the life of me find the goddamn thing. I searched around the internet, watched some youtube videos, and while they mention that it has a rain cover built in, nothing ever shows where the drat thing is. Anyone know where I might locate it? I am sure that once I find where it is the location will then seem glaringly obvious.

I don't know about your pack, but mine also has an integrated rainfly. It's at the very bottom of the pack behind a zipper on the outside.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

The Canadian Rockies aka Banff/Jasper/Yoho/Kananaskis etc is pretty awesome, I must say. I am biased, though. Expect crowds, especially around the same time as the Calgary Stampede. Fortunately the extreme majority don't venture into the backcountry, and you can book nearly everything online 3 months in advance so it's easy to find ways to avoid the mobs.

Thanks! Looks like we might end up doing a joint Rainier + Bugaboos trip. Banff remains high on the list for the future though.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Hungryjack posted:

I don't know about your pack, but mine also has an integrated rainfly. It's at the very bottom of the pack behind a zipper on the outside.

I finally found the drat thing, it was in a hidden zipper pocket in the outside stuff sack pocket.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Last weekend I went and did a 15.5 mile hike (~4500ft elevation) with very little conditioning. I mean I hike all summer usually but it's typically only 4-7 milers and I had only done one 7 miler in the week leading up to this hike.

All that to say, I'm no stranger to hiking but I'm not in peak shape by any stretch.

After last weekends hike my legs and knees were understandably sore but over the next couple of days my muscles recovered just fine but a week later both of my knees still feel "bruised" Looking at an anatomy chart my closest attempt to pinpoint it would be that it's the meniscal tendons. The soreness is on the outside "point" of the tibia just below the kneecap, not in the knee joint itself.

My question is... should I be concerned that I now have a torn meniscus in both of my knees? or is it more likely that I just overexerted and I can expect them to go back to normal given some more rest? I'm mostly just trying to determine if I should be good to go back to the rowing machine at the gym and plan more hikes in the coming weeks or if I should lay low for a while. It's by no means crippling pain but I can definitely feel it taking stairs or what not.

Thanks for any info.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 8, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had dull outside knee pain a month or two ago which would get progressively worse from what I thought was over use. Similar to what you described. I thought maybe I damaged it or something serious. The pain would get down right unbearable at times when trying to bend it.

My physio friend suggested possibly a tight IT band. She recommended specific stretches, using a foam roller and butt/ hip strengthening exercises. It seemed to help but it was still lingering after a few weeks of working on it.

I started trying to stretch other parts of my body. I had sprained my back last year playing hockey and it made my already poor flexibility even worse. I focused on stretching my tight lower back and almost like a light switch my knee pain went away.

I would suggest resting and stretching. Consider seeing a physical therapist if possible. I'm not kidding, that knee pain was one of the more painful things I've ever experienced in my life and made hiking a miserable experience.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 8, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had IT band injuries in the past from hiking and the pain was pretty much exactly where you described it. I was told the band had seized and was rubbing against the bone. They did acupuncture, ultrasound, massage, and stretches to loosen it back up. I was also shown several quad strengthening exercises to help prevent fatigue on ascent which leads to wobbly joints on descent.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Ihmemies posted:

I tried to find their webpage but no luck.

Sorry, it's https://www.nomad.nl

There's a couple of unaffiliated webstores trying to mooch some of their traffic that come up when you search for "nomad sleeping bags", but nomad.nl is the official manufacturer website.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Lt_Tofu posted:

Another on is Morena butte. Really fun hike on some pink granite with some great views. I did this one a few weeks ago with some friends and they were all impressed. Easy to find the trailhead from Hwy 8 and free parking make it even better. We only saw two people on the trail on a Saturday morning.

Had the mountain to ourselves. I need to go back when it is cooler so we can stay longer as there was a bunch of cool stuff to check out. Thank you for the suggestion, it was an amazing day.

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

If you want a short hike to an awesome beach, try Black's Beach just north of La Jolla. It is a steep descent with stunning ocean views to a much less crowded (and much more nude) beach. You need to be wary of riptides and mantas, but the seclusion is worth it.

I'm sure there are others, but I just can't imagine going to SD and not swimming.

Thank you as well for this advice. We just spent a bunch of time swimming, Blacks Beach is amazing.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

guys I think Yosemite might be pretty cool?!? A couple friends and I did the Mist Trail to Panorama to Four Mile (via Glacier Point), it was a really nice time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I never posted any pics from the subpeak known as Smutwood Peak I did a few weeks ago! I should do that.

I've posted pics from the beginning of this hike before, it starts on Commonwealth Creek then climbs up into a hanging valley before getting up on a ridge between two big mountains, Birdwood (pictured) and Smuts. Both are named for World War 1 generals. A lot of our mountains are.

There was a big rock and it was raining.

Sometimes the trail was steep.

Hiking beside Mt. Birdwood. All of those bands of rock are parallel, which might give you an idea of how loving big the mountain is. It also rises like a fin out of the Earth, as you will see later.

We started at the highway way down in the valley, beyond the meadows. The parking lot is off to the left behind the treed ridge in the foreground.

I made it to the false summit on the left. The husband made it to the true summit on the right. He's a lot faster, and we had some bad weather coming while we were up there so I made the choice to stop there.

False summit, true summit, and Mt. Smuts which is notorious as one of the most difficult and dangerous scrambles in the Rockies. The lakes are called Birdwood Tarns and are a popular day hike.

Getting up onto the ridge meant walking along the east border of the southern section of Banff National Park, which I'm looking at here. The valley is called Spray Valley which has some backcountry campsites and also lots of bears.

Looking down on Birdwood Tarns from the false summit.

Mt. Birdwood, creating some cloud. You can kind of make out the trail we took cutting across the slope above the tarns.

We were treated to a rainbow spanning between Mt. Smuts and Mt. Birdwood on the descent. When I say Kananaskis Country is the local's best kept secret, this is the sort of thing I talk about.

A panorama from the ridge.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Headed to Yosemite for 3 full days in early September. We're planning on Clouds Rest one day. What other good moderate to strenuous hikes would you recommend? We want at least one day in the valley.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

marsisol posted:

Headed to Yosemite for 3 full days in early September. We're planning on Clouds Rest one day. What other good moderate to strenuous hikes would you recommend? We want at least one day in the valley.

May I suggest the Mist Trail to Panorama to Four Mile (via Glacier Point)? :) You get to see some of the nice falls and other popular destinations, and there's lots of views of the valley. The strenuous part is mainly the rock stairs around Vernal and Nevada Falls. About 12 miles round trip.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I was sorting out my daypack last night and discovered that the headlamp (a black diamond....Volt maybe?) had all this corrosion around the lens and a little in the battery compartment. It would not turn on with the existing or fresh batteries.

It was stored in a drybag along with some first aid stuff and some misc crap, including a pair of socks and a little towel. I assume moisture got trapped in the bag and did this?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Either moisture or maybe chemicals from the first aid kit, depending on what you have in there.

My fire striker was eaten by being next to a small bottle of dilute hcl for a few days a month ago.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Perhaps your batteries got leaky and goo-y? Always take out the batteries for longer term storage.

Corroded copper doesn't conduct electricity very well. You might have success with removing the corrosion from the battery compartment with copper polish on a cue-tip.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 11, 2016

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

What trailhead are you going in from?

We (just me and another person) began at Big Pine Lakes North Fork. It was an AMAZING trip that did not go as planned.

Naively, we believed we could cross Agassiz Col (13,000ft) and reach the Evolution Region that way. However, the trek up proved to be a formidable challenge as scrambling from giant boulder to giant boulder was intense and at times terrifying. A little mistake could have been fatal. There were only a few cairns here and there to guide us, and nobody was around after we climbed above Sam Mack Meadow. It was "only" a Class 3 ascent but still a step forward for us because it was raw and trail-less, requiring mountain navigation skills. We were 500 feet from crossing, but had to turn around as the cold glacier winds of early evening howled.

Things get really interesting when you attempt obscure mountain passes. Not much on Agassiz Col out there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Class 3 is no joke at times. Some class 3's are better done with a rope or equipment

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

I found the Vasque St. Elias to have an unfortunately tight toe box too. I bought a pair at REI because they fit everywhere else and we're very similar to my old Vasques I was replacing. However, after wearing them at home for a while to toe was just too small. Also I wasn't a fan of the faux leather around the ankle.

What's the current hotness for a 6" backpacking boot in the $150-200 range? I'd love to go lighter but Pennsylvania is full of rocks.

I ordered a pair of Altai boots that someone posted about a while back. I was a little hesitant because it was a blind purchase but they were super comfortable right out of the box, didn't need much effort at all to break in and definitely live up to their waterproof/breathable claim.

http://www.altaigear.com/shop/waterproof-tactical-boot/

I wore them for a total of 12 hours over 2 days around the house before hiking 22km during an overnight weekend away. Didn't notice any hot spots or rubbing but the only thing I'd need to do different would be a lacing configuration to make them more comfortable with steep uphills or crouching. The sizing advice on the site is pretty spot on and it looks like if you're in the US you can get a refund if you're not happy with them. My feet did feel a bit sore on day 2, but that was more to do with me not being used to carrying 1/4 my body weight all day.

The trip was to test out a bunch of my gear and I've decided I'm not happy with my bivvy bag/sleeping bag set up so I'm in the market for a 1 person tent. I've narrowed my choices down to the MSR Hubba NX and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 with a slight favour to the Big Agnes. Do you guys have any experience with these to help me make a choice? I'm also interested in getting a camo tarp to give a little extra shelter and lower the camp signature if I decide to do a day hike or something after putting the tent up.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Fall Dog posted:

I ordered a pair of Altai boots that someone posted about a while back. I was a little hesitant because it was a blind purchase but they were super comfortable right out of the box, didn't need much effort at all to break in and definitely live up to their waterproof/breathable claim.

http://www.altaigear.com/shop/waterproof-tactical-boot/

I wore them for a total of 12 hours over 2 days around the house before hiking 22km during an overnight weekend away. Didn't notice any hot spots or rubbing but the only thing I'd need to do different would be a lacing configuration to make them more comfortable with steep uphills or crouching. The sizing advice on the site is pretty spot on and it looks like if you're in the US you can get a refund if you're not happy with them. My feet did feel a bit sore on day 2, but that was more to do with me not being used to carrying 1/4 my body weight all day.

The trip was to test out a bunch of my gear and I've decided I'm not happy with my bivvy bag/sleeping bag set up so I'm in the market for a 1 person tent. I've narrowed my choices down to the MSR Hubba NX and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 with a slight favour to the Big Agnes. Do you guys have any experience with these to help me make a choice? I'm also interested in getting a camo tarp to give a little extra shelter and lower the camp signature if I decide to do a day hike or something after putting the tent up.

This must be providence. I was just talking about needing to get a new pair of boots, I decide to check out this thread after a while and here you are talking about your fancy boots.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Crazyeyes posted:

This must be providence. I was just talking about needing to get a new pair of boots, I decide to check out this thread after a while and here you are talking about your fancy boots.

Give it a day or so and you'll have multiple people (myself included) espousing Lowa Renegades. Goretex, comfy, full support. Just did 6 weeks of hiking 5 days a week at field camp in them, and they held up great (just like on every previous outing).

They were paired with Darn Tough hiking socks.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

If you (or anyone else) are interested, I can give you a more detailed review on them. I'm really happy with the purchase and I haven't been able to majorly fault them at all. I've heard there are issues with Goretex but these use a different technology to keep waterproof.

The Altai website describes it if you're curious.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Yeah I'm reading reviews and info on their page. They have a discounted version in a discontinued color, so it's an attractive situation.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What's with all these fancy boots. What happened to one piece leather uppers with beeswax to waterproof?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Tsyni posted:

What's with all these fancy boots. What happened to one piece leather uppers with beeswax to waterproof?

:corsair:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tsyni posted:

The future happened.

Also they're super comfy.

I can say that I haven't had any problems with the goretex on the lowas, and I don't remember hearing of anyone who has.

Though I kinda wanna try out the altais now too.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

theroachman posted:

Perhaps your batteries got leaky and goo-y? Always take out the batteries for longer term storage.

Corroded copper doesn't conduct electricity very well. You might have success with removing the corrosion from the battery compartment with copper polish on a cue-tip.

Yea, I like to think I can get it working again, but it still annoying.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Any recommended reading/viewing on the PCT? Thru or sectional.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

My Wife and I went on another hike this weekend, and holy moly it straight up whooped my rear end. It was 7.8 miles and had around 800-1000 feet in elevation change, but it was almost entirely in one big long section and by the time we got out to the Point I was already tire, walking back took forever and I was exhausted. It took us around 6 hours total to do it, it probably didn't help that it got a little warm considering we are at around 7.5K feet, and I was having a minor Crohn's Disease issue sapping some of my energy, but it was super hard on me and at one point I was almost thinking "Man gently caress this poo poo, I am in no way in shape enough for all of this hiking business!" But after I got home, had a shower and a good nights sleep, I am feeling better about it now. I definitely need to get in to way better shape, but I did have fun even if it was incredibly tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

A week from now four of us start the Four Pass Loop followed up by a few days of mountain biking in Salida. Super excited to rock my four day 18 pound pack, hopefully I can take a few hundred good photos.