Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

Re: F2P games, it's not a coincidence that many MMOs are now F2P or had to change to F2P from a subscription model in order to survive. both encourage the same lovely practices based around keeping players hooked through addiction rather than through compelling game design or aesthetics.

It is a unique brand of scumminess to study how addiction works just so you can intentionally incorporate it into your game.
F2P games are great because you can grab one, and if it turns out to be poo poo you can just get rid of it and not care without spending a dollar. But it always burns when you buy a game and it's only fun for whatever arbitrary refund time they have. Like, steam doesn't let you refund games if you have more than two hours played or something like that, but most games start off really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Also levels in Overwatch are mostly meaningless.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, levels in Overwatch is just "time played", not necessarily "Skill Gained". A bigger factor is probably "The people already grouped up are probably communicating better than the people who arent".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Crafting in FFXIV gets poo poo real fast. It starts off pretty cool, you can buy anything you need from vendors but you'll probably assume you'll need to level the matching gathering profession. So mining for blacksmithing, right? I hit 30 and the answer is get hosed miners because every recipe requires equally levelled alchemy, carpentry and or armorsmithing :shepface: so have fun levelling up every profession at once! Unless, you know, you want to pay 20k gold for one common log because market board prices are bullshit.

So, in bitching about games other than FFXIV; .hack GU volume 3 is bad. I don't know how these games managed to get worse from the first game, but they did and almost every enemy in the third game just spams magic spells with almost no charge up non-stop. It doesn't sound that bad, but magic in this game is ridiculous because if you get hit by it, you can't move or defend in any way until the spell is over. Then you usually have a long enough recovery time for the enemy to hit you again. If there are two of them in one battle it's entirely possible to lose a fight without ever moving because they just non-stop cast magic. Oh but then about 90% through the story they give the main character a fancy new upgrade and a brand new weapon type that's so strong I managed to kill one of the super strong bonus bosses in about five seconds flat. :effort: I think it's a sign the developers stopped giving a poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait, so Overwatch gives you little wings on your portraits if you're level 100+? Wow, the fact that I'm 28 or so and have only been matched with folks who have crazy amounts of wings on their portraits makes me feel really good. Or there are people who are pure poo poo at the game just like me, but have thousands of hours of playtime.

Nuebot posted:

Crafting in FFXIV gets poo poo real fast. It starts off pretty cool, you can buy anything you need from vendors but you'll probably assume you'll need to level the matching gathering profession. So mining for blacksmithing, right? I hit 30 and the answer is get hosed miners because every recipe requires equally levelled alchemy, carpentry and or armorsmithing :shepface: so have fun levelling up every profession at once! Unless, you know, you want to pay 20k gold for one common log because market board prices are bullshit.

If market board prices are bullshit, and you see that a common log is 20k, why don't you go farm that log and make massive profits? Crafting in FFXIV is less about being a good crafter and more about becoming a robber baron by exploiting market opportunities and arbitrage. My first million was made by just consistently buying iron ore at like 4g from an NPC merchant then selling them on the market board for 100g per. Markets aren't dumb, people are dumb. This is magnified exponentially when MMOs are involved.

jokes has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Aug 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Wait, so Overwatch gives you little wings on your portraits if you're level 100+? Wow, the fact that I'm 28 or so and have only been matched with folks who have crazy amounts of wings on their portraits makes me feel really good. Or there are people who are pure poo poo at the game just like me, but have thousands of hours of playtime.

No, you get the wings from levels 1-100. The stars come after that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

If market board prices are bullshit, and you see that a common log is 20k, why don't you go farm that log and make massive profits? Crafting in FFXIV is less about being a good crafter and more about becoming a robber baron by exploiting market opportunities and arbitrage. My first million was made by just consistently buying iron ore at like 4g from an NPC merchant then selling them on the market board for 100g per. Markets aren't dumb, people are dumb. This is magnified exponentially when MMOs are involved.

My botany isn't high enough to get that log yet. Also I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to do that. I guess that's why I'm not a super pro MMO player or something, I have a hard time just being an rear end in a top hat to people, I don't like kicking people from groups unless they're straight up being an rear end in a top hat and making the dungeon or whatever harder. I could never be one of those guys who kicks everyone below maximum item level for ifrit extreme. I used to get a lot of angry whispers in WoW for undercutting people when I'd just dump all my excess herbs and ore on the AH for like half of what the average was.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

e: lol^^^^

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

It's kind of lovely that the "proper" way to play is to be a fantasy hedge fund manager if you just want to sew some magic trousers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Moon Monster posted:

e: lol^^^^

It's kind of lovely that the "proper" way to play is to be a fantasy hedge fund manager if you just want to sew some magic trousers.

If you just wanna craft for you and your friends then you absolutely can do that. For example the ixali quests offer a no cost way to get a crafter class to 50, and the moogles will get you to 60.

Is it as quick as buying a ton of ingredients? No, but if you just wanna be an amateur crafter that's not a huge concern.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
There's a recently-released little pixel-art game called Circuit Breakers which is theoretically pretty cool, but the creators clearly didn't think through the inter-level flavour message system- every single one that I got was some meta-joke about how inter-level flavour messages are hard to pad out properly. The second one I got was "Help I'm trapped in a text factory" and the third was "I'm out of things to say," both of which should really only start showing up after I've exhausted the legitimate ones.

After a bit more play, though, I'm now convinced that there are no legitimate ones and moreover that's not the joke. It really annoys me because it's a tiny little game by a tiny little studio- they didn't need to include the loving things if they didn't like writing them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you just wanna craft for you and your friends then you absolutely can do that. For example the ixali quests offer a no cost way to get a crafter class to 50, and the moogles will get you to 60.

Is it as quick as buying a ton of ingredients? No, but if you just wanna be an amateur crafter that's not a huge concern.

You can do three of those a day until you hit the second rep level. Then it's six a day until you hit the third. It's not a very viable alternative.

The Moon Monster posted:

It's pretty unfortunate. I've never really had anything against people charging whatever the hell they want for finished items, go ahead and charge a million gold for that cosmetic bikini top or whatever. But when people charge out the rear end for basic ingredients it just seems like a poo poo move.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well, you can probably get all the way through world 1-3 in Super Mario Bros without using the run button, if you want.

Crafting casually in that game is a complete waste of time since for all but the absolute top tier of crafts you can find equivalent or better gear much more quickly through quests or dungeons. You can apply that statement to any themepark MMO, I guess.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Deified Data posted:

Who the gently caress works full time and has time for more than one hobby?

If you only work 40 hours a week that still leaves you w about 6 hours every evening, and I sure don't have 6 hours of chores a day after work. How long does each of your hobbies take?

I don't have a family to support either right now so that helps but lots of people work time and have more than one hobby (I'm not including TV as a hobby, you can easily play that in the background while you do other poo poo). Maybe manage your time better or something?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

thanks for reminding me btw that i pay monthly for the old republic and i havent played it since january

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, you can probably get all the way through world 1-3 in Super Mario Bros without using the run button, if you want.

Crafting casually in that game is a complete waste of time since for all but the absolute top tier of crafts you can find equivalent or better gear much more quickly through quests or dungeons. You can apply that statement to any themepark MMO, I guess.

Nah, there are some that do crafting well and I really have to single out ESO here for making crafting a thing you really want to do at all levels for gear and consumables. It really takes minimal effort and helps you keep your stuff up to date and is at least on par with drops and quest items, likely better since you can craft stuff exactly the way you want it, they even let you craft sets if you unlock the shrines through crafting research.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

im pooping! posted:

thanks for reminding me btw that i pay monthly for the old republic and i havent played it since january

Ouch, right in the pension.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been doing that with the gym

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nuebot posted:

You can do three of those a day until you hit the second rep level. Then it's six a day until you hit the third. It's not a very viable alternative.

It's how I did it. Still got a crafter to 50 before concluding the quest chain.

The Moon Monster posted:

Top tier gives minions and glamours, the most important part of the end game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got The Walking Dead, the Telltale Game. I don't really like their games, but it was on sale a while ago, and I just started it. Their whole gimmick is that it changes depending on your choices - at least that's what it tells me. I'm not putting that pressure on it, it told me that's what it does.

First real instance with another person is a little girl. Before meeting her, I learned that her parents are almost certainly dead - she doesn't know this.

When I first talk to her, I have several options, and I'm thinking that I'll talk to her like I'd talk to any little girl in distress - so I ask, "What's your name?", "How old are you?", "Are you alone?"

Then I'm given one last choice, "Where are your parents?". Well, I know where her parents are; they're loving eaten alive. But when I try to say nothing, I keep getting forced into asking that question. It just feels like something out of the SNES, the cliche 'but thou must". These games are already not incredibly fun gameplay wise; and when they railroad me into dialogue options that are supposed to be my choice, I just don't know what these games are for. Why not just make an animated mini-series, why am I even pushing buttons?

The only other one I've really played like this is the Game of Thrones, and it was the same garbage. Out of their library, I think I liked Poker Night Round 2, and that's about it.

What's weird, is I've seen people playing The Wolf Among Us, where saying nothing was totally valid. I expected it to cross over here too.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Aug 14, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

What's weird, is I've seen people playing The Wolf Among Us, where saying nothing was totally valid. I expected it to cross over here too.

To be half-fair, The Wolf Among Us came out later and had an entirely different setting and tone and everything to it. So being silent and glaring at everyone works as Bigby but it'd only work in The Walking Dead if you were Larry's size.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The first episode of TWD is also pretty rough in a lot of ways. It improves significantly past Episode 2.

But even then, the whole "The story changes based on your actions" is mostly horseshit. And I say that as a person who evangelizes TWD Season 1.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

I got The Walking Dead, the Telltale Game. I don't really like their games, but it was on sale a while ago, and I just started it. Their whole gimmick is that it changes depending on your choices - at least that's what it tells me. I'm not putting that pressure on it, it told me that's what it does.

First real instance with another person is a little girl. Before meeting her, I learned that her parents are almost certainly dead - she doesn't know this.

When I first talk to her, I have several options, and I'm thinking that I'll talk to her like I'd talk to any little girl in distress - so I ask, "What's your name?", "How old are you?", "Are you alone?"

Then I'm given one last choice, "Where are your parents?". Well, I know where her parents are; they're loving eaten alive. But when I try to say nothing, I keep getting forced into asking that question. It just feels like something out of the SNES, the cliche 'but thou must". These games are already not incredibly fun gameplay wise; and when they railroad me into dialogue options that are supposed to be my choice, I just don't know what these games are for. Why not just make an animated mini-series, why am I even pushing buttons?

The only other one I've really played like this is the Game of Thrones, and it was the same garbage. Out of their library, I think I liked Poker Night Round 2, and that's about it.

Telltale Games are basically budget films where sometimes you have to click to progress the story, don't expect any changes depending on your choices, nothing you do matters.

I like TWD season 1 because it got the mood and writing down well, but I've bounced off everything else I've tried by them, feels like a trick that (to me) only works once.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Playing a deaf/mute in TWD Season 1 is pretty funny actually. There are very, very few 'forced' dialogs like that one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The plot beats don't change (which can be a bad thing because it does hold the writing back some), but the dialogue varies pretty wildly. It's less like you're in control of the story and more like you're allowed to bend it more than most adventure games let you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

1stGear posted:

The first episode of TWD is also pretty rough in a lot of ways. It improves significantly past Episode 2.

I played to about half way through episode three since I'd already bought it, and it really doesn't improve at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

But even then, the whole "The story changes based on your actions" is mostly horseshit. And I say that as a person who evangelizes TWD Season 1.

Yeah, the only one where choices seemed to have a pretty fair impact was parts of Tales from the Borderlands where choices will completely add/subtract/replace scenes or affect how you solve "puzzles" later on due to different inventory items.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Season 2 of The Walking Dead is much better with the silence thing, and aside from TWD season 1, I find myself being silent a whole lot in Telltale Games. Even during scenes with only two options where a timer is present, I will a lot of the time just let the timer run out. I enjoy TTG games but it's less gameplay and more QTE really. The illusion of choice is the unfortunate reality and I try to mitigate it by A) changing the options to minimal feedback so I don't see those god drat "DUCK WILL REMEMBER THIS YOU CRETIN!" popups and B) letting the game decide for me. It's why I'm probably also going to buy TTG Batman when episode 5 is about to pop and the whole thing is like $8 on Steam.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Something annoying me about Witcher 3: Normally you can loot items with no consequences, so I've developed a habit of walking up to storage crates and hammering A until it stops letting me take stuff.

But, sometimes there's a guard watching and stealing something results in getting swarmed by angry high-level guards. I think there's a message when you're about to steal in view of guards but it appears too slowly so I don't notice until it's too late.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I felt guilty when I finally got to Novigrad. All those peasants actually did mind me stealing all their crap, they were just too afraid to say anything.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The game never clearly differentiates between what's public and what's private, either. There's been plenty of times when I'd take something in town in full view of the guards who wouldn't react because I guess it was just free for whoever, sometimes I'd do it and immediately get my poo poo stomped in by guards 20 levels higher than me, it's an irritating oversight when other games like Skyrim and Divinity: Original Sin make it really obvious when an item will be considered stolen if you take it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Captain Lavender posted:

Clem's issues with her parents is one of the main subplots of the season ya doof

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

im pooping! posted:

so I don't see those god drat "DUCK WILL REMEMBER THIS YOU CRETIN!" popups

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Something annoying me about Witcher 3: Normally you can loot items with no consequences, so I've developed a habit of walking up to storage crates and hammering A until it stops letting me take stuff.

But, sometimes there's a guard watching and stealing something results in getting swarmed by angry high-level guards. I think there's a message when you're about to steal in view of guards but it appears too slowly so I don't notice until it's too late.
This was something I noticed replaying Dragon Age:Origins; I actually bothered levelling up stealing this time, but people notice and you get penalised for it, so it seems like it's actually better to just be honest anyway, so what's the point?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Danger posted:

Clem's issues with her parents is one of the main subplots of the season ya doof

To be fair, other than a few cutscene alterations, nothing you do matters that much in the Telltale games.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

im pooping! posted:

"DUCK WILL REMEMBER THIS YOU CRETIN!" popups

Tales of the Borderlands had some funny jokey ones, although I can't remember them right now :shobon: they did have the gag where if you skipped the credits then 'the developers will remember that!" and it kept progressing through the five episodes.

Also there's a bit of dark humour where someone will remember something, and then immediately die.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Grendel was a cool dude and I wanted more of him.

His reaction to killing the Crooked Man before a trial makes me laugh any time I see it.

"I'm GLAD he's fuckin dead. What are you all buddy-buddy with him all of a sudden? The gently caress is wrong with you."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've toyed around with No Man's Sky for a bit now, and aside from some broader complaints, the spaceship controls are just outright aggravating. The ship has some kind of mild autopilot, probably intended to keep you from crashing into stuff, but you just end up fighting the drat thing all time. When you're in a dogfight in space, it'll suddenly and randomly start pushing your nose in random directions, probably because there's an invisible space-gnat in the way. If you're low above a planet and want to check out a landing zone, it'll unerringly force your view back to the horizon so you can't ever properly see where exactly you're landing.
And even if you want to actively use the autopilot to get you to places, it's still bad. Basically, as long you're in space, you can use an interplanetary drive that's about ten times faster than the regular thrusters, but will deactivate when you're inside an atmosphere. Also, inside the atmosphere, you get slower the lower you go. Now when you tell the autopilot to fly you to a point of interest on a planet's surface, the quickest way to get there would be to just use the interplanetary drive until you're right above the spot, and then to fly straight down in a few seconds. But instead it'll put you down into the atmosphere while you're still well away from your destination, and wants to slowboat you the rest of the way for several minutes. You can try to manually approach it at a higher altitude for more speed, but once again the autopilot will fight you every step along the way.

The most annoying thing is that these problems are pretty evident pretty much from the first time you try to fly from one spot on a planet to another. And you fly around in this manner a lot. Even the most basic QA should have caught this right away.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tiggum posted:

This was something I noticed replaying Dragon Age:Origins; I actually bothered levelling up stealing this time, but people notice and you get penalised for it, so it seems like it's actually better to just be honest anyway, so what's the point?

There are a few items you can only get by stealing from specific NPCs and getting lucky in DA:O. They're not especially good or anything though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Axiom Verge is a pretty cool Metroid game, I know it had some pretty mixed opinions but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Except that to use the teleport item, you double-tap the D-Pad, and holy poo poo it's so easy to accidentally teleport yourself into monsters, down holes, or just anywhere except where you want to be. The platforming in general is just kind of stiff and tricky.

Also the lack of a run/speed boost item really hurts. I didn't mind the backtracking, it's a cool world to explore and there are lots of little side rooms that you know you'll have to come back to later, but it's just a little slower than it ought to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Nuebot posted:

There are a few items you can only get by stealing from specific NPCs and getting lucky in DA:O. They're not especially good or anything though.

The strongest crossbows were meant to be stolen, but crossbows reeeeally suck.

Things Dragging DA:O Down: Archery is borked.

So you've got shortbows, longbows and crossbows. The way they're supposed to balance is shortbows fire quickly with little power, crossbows fire slowly but punch through armor with enough force to make Fantasy Pope's head spin, and longbows split the difference.

Aim time for each variant: short: 0.2s, long: 0.3s, cross: 0.8s. So there is literally no reason to ever use a shortbow unless it's the very beginning of the game when you have no options. Longbows are much stronger and with better effects, at the cost of a tenth of a second.

Crossbows have better base stats, but they don't get any bonuses from your stats. Which makes sense, as crossbow is wholly mechanical, but it means short/longbows will consistently outdamage cross because they get damage bonuses from the character's Strength and Dexterity. Even at very low levels, crossbows can't do enough damage to justify being three times slower.

Speaking of stats, despite getting a damage bonus from Strength, longbows don't require it to equip, only Dexterity. Which means the scrawniest waif can draw back a longbow hard enough to punch through plate armor and put the insane draw weight of a crossbow to shame.

As for armor penetration, it's a separate stat from damage. It causes no damage itself, it just negates enemy armor. So for example, if your crossbow does 6 damage with 6 AP, and you attack somebody with no armor, you do 6 damage. If they had 3 points of armor, you do 6 damage. If they had 6 points of armor, you do 6 damage. Only at 7 armor and up would the crossbow start losing damage. Which sounds fine (if dumb), but longbows get such a big bonus from STR/DEX they'll be doing, say, 15 damage, enough to overpower the armor and still outdamage the cross. And if the enemy has no armor, they're doing way more damage, and making three shots for every 1 of a crossbow.