Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Kai becomes Ray. Lamia becomes Viffidas
Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Lamia only says one thing every ten chapters but she messes it up every single time.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

It breaks my heart to hear that Granteed sucks in MD, he was literally invincible in J. Same with hearing about the weak secret list, now I remember why I don't like OG games nearly as much as the mainstream SRW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It breaks my heart to hear that Granteed sucks in MD, he was literally invincible in J. Same with hearing about the weak secret list, now I remember why I don't like OG games nearly as much as the mainstream SRW.

The OG games can have really amazing secrets. OG2 had a whole bunch of stuff for example.

MD just suffers from being obviously a more budget game. It has an incredibly small number of new units and was clearly more of a stopgap game.

Granteed Dracodeus is effectively invincible though. Even the last boss wasn't able to penetrate his barrier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 15, 2016

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The only games that have had good secrets recently are the 3DS ones. All the Z games after the first one had pretty anemic secret lists.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

ImpAtom posted:

The OG games can have really amazing secrets. OG2 had a whole bunch of stuff for example.

MD just suffers from being obviously a more budget game. It has an incredibly small number of new units and was clearly more of a stopgap game.

Granteed Dracodeus is effectively invincible though. Even the last boss wasn't able to penetrate his barrier.

That's fair, I'm just more of a fan of secret characters rather than equippable items or mechs, it's something I have a problem with in the Z series as well. My main problem is hearing about Granteed being bad for most of the game until the upgrade since it's my favorite OG super.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That's fair, I'm just more of a fan of secret characters rather than equippable items or mechs, it's something I have a problem with in the Z series as well. My main problem is hearing about Granteed being bad for most of the game until the upgrade since it's my favorite OG super.
Well, like ShiunTouya said, if you baby him a bit Granteed is fine. If you use Axel's twin seishin he has the will to use his good post-movement attacks, and some accuracy upgrades and a +accuracy equippable item, plus a consumable to heal his EN, will make him pretty strong. Playing favorites is a totally valid and normal way to play SRW, lord knows I blatantly give more upgrades to Excellen than she needs.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Probably should have asked this days ago but which powerpuff are y'all preferring for the relevant mechs

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
NOOO not the skill module system!! I hate this system!

Are those translations accurate, you need to equip 3 of a kind just to get the effect?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Probably should have asked this days ago but which powerpuff are y'all preferring for the relevant mechs

Katia is basically objectively the best for Calvina. They synchronize amazingly.

In terms of Touya basically: Tenia is better as an offensive choice, Melua is better for giving you Bless and Luck and support spells. I preferred the latter but YMMV.

Rascyc posted:

NOOO not the skill module system!! I hate this system!

Are those translations accurate, you need to equip 3 of a kind just to get the effect?

Yes, but basically you can toss three on and not worry about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Shu is the best. It's even better because Masaki is hilariously crippled coming into this game but Shu is just as overpowered as ever.

Endgame plot even starts asking "okay so why isn't Shu just eliminating all of the enemies forever" because he's so god drat absurd.

Also after a long delay (half laziness and half me banging my head against FMW3's code), the the v0.5 English patch for FMW3 is ready. This one fully translates everything from chapters 35 to 44, and also stabilizes exactly what we're going to be doing this project.

Which is to say we're not touching anything in data4 even with a ten feet pole because god drat everything in it can make the game crash. To put it in perspective how fragile this game is, translating spirit names breaks several Personal Skills and even causes "this unit auto-casts a Spirit at the start of the turn" to outright crash the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When next SRW V PV

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Tenia and Melua in whatever you prefer. Katia's bad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tenia is the best offensively, with +200 attack, Accel & Hot Blood. Melua learns Cheer, Bless and Hope, and provides a passive +1 to Movement which is always handy. The best thing about Katia is her +1 Range, because her spirit pool is kind of bleh, but she does get Alert and Focus to let Calvina do other things with her SP if you combo them I guess. I liked Katia a lot in J but I think I'll be benching her this time around. Non-Twinned Hope is bonkers in OG and Tenia is just too good.

But really, just look up their finishers and see which girls get the animations you like best.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

But really, just look up their finishers and see which girls get the animations you like best.

This is the only real answer.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I don't think OG has ever had a secret character. It's all mechs, weapons, or parts. OG doesn't even do secret last-stage reinforcements, those all happen automatically.

Honestly the days of tons of secrets are probably behind us anyway thanks to ever-inflating budgets. It's easy to justify giving you a whole mess of secret mobile suits when they're barely animated, much harder when all of them require tons of animation and extra voicework.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MarsDragon posted:

I don't think OG has ever had a secret character. It's all mechs, weapons, or parts. OG doesn't even do secret last-stage reinforcements, those all happen automatically.

Honestly the days of tons of secrets are probably behind us anyway thanks to ever-inflating budgets. It's easy to justify giving you a whole mess of secret mobile suits when they're barely animated, much harder when all of them require tons of animation and extra voicework.
:ssh: OGMD has a secret character

It's a good thing Tenia has the best Granteed finisher and Melua has the best Bellzelute finisher!!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Unless there is one I don't know about I'm not sure if a character you can use for only part of one stage counts as a real secret character in the way most people mean it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's a good thing Tenia has the best Granteed finisher and Melua has the best Bellzelute finisher!!

Melua for Granteed and Tenia for Belzellute. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Melua has the best Granteed finisher by a country mile.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I looked the animations up and I like Melua for both of them best, send help.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I will bench Masaki forever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I will bench Masaki forever.

It's okay, it's better for Masaki to be benched anyway. "hey guys, Shu rejiggered the Cybuster to run off evil energy, I can't imagine ANY way this can backfire!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You have to wonder why Masaki even bothered showing up.

Then again Ryusei apparently had a crippling head injury between games so I guess the bar for returnee characters is super low.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

It's okay, it's better for Masaki to be benched anyway. "hey guys, Shu rejiggered the Cybuster to run off evil energy, I can't imagine ANY way this can backfire!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElFwqs5OJc

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Every time Masaki uses Akashic Buster, an Asakim gets their BRBRBR WEEEEW.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What did Asakim even end up being

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Disappointing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Oh Snapple! posted:

What did Asakim even end up being

Asakim ended up being Shurouga.

Yes, I am serious.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, I am serious.

HiKaizer posted:

Disappointing.

So in other words, Z3.txt

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, I am serious.

Wait what

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's very dumb and complicated.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Did the flashes of Asakim's sins, fate and DESPAIR!!!!11 during Ray Buster end up being anything meaningful?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

Especially in the late game you can effectively end stages by sending Calvina one direction and Shu the other and just having people follow in to clean up after they're done.

Replace Shu/Granzon with Masato/Zeorymer and this was basically my strategy in J.

Actually, Granzon is straight up the OC OG version of Zeorymer, isn't it?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Schwarzwald posted:

Replace Shu/Granzon with Masato/Zeorymer and this was basically my strategy in J.

Actually, Granzon is straight up the OC OG version of Zeorymer, isn't it?

Given what I know of Zeorymer is that the entire strategy behind the mech is "show up and smug at things until they die" it sounds like Granzon might very well be just that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neo Granzon is a huge Zeorymer reference, yes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

In a very short and somewhat inaccurate summary that bypasses the nuances of the situation entirely, Asakim the person was long dead and the Asakim that you fight for the entirety of the Z series was basically a simulacrum created by the Shuroga, which is why he couldn't die.

It's really, really disappointing and dumb.

GimmickMan posted:

Did the flashes of Asakim's sins, fate and DESPAIR!!!!11 during Ray Buster end up being anything meaningful?

Absolutely not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There were so many loose ends in the original story of the Z series it's nuts. It's like they were planning for like two more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Samurai Sanders posted:

There were so many loose ends in the original story of the Z series it's nuts. It's like they were planning for like two more games.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if those loose ends ended up being resolved in OG. Cybuster is almost certainly going to turn into Shurouga and end up kicked through a Crossgate or something, possibly by Masaki, and the Z cast will probably get roped into the OGverse much like Haken was.

• Locked thread