Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Not being able to read an analog clock is shockingly common now. This isn't me being "kids these days" though. The reality is its possible to go through life only ever seeing digital clocks so it just wasn't a required skill for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most school classrooms still have analog clocks

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Really most any building that has a clock will be analog. Libraries, government buildings, schools, offices.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mu Zeta posted:

Most school classrooms still have analog clocks

So they look at their cell phone or digital watch instead. There's just always an alternative.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kids these days, don't even know how to use a slide rule, rotary phone, DOS, and all these other totally relevant things I had to learn when I was young!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean the default face of the Apple Watch is an analog clock. I don't think they are in the same category as DOS or slide rules.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah, those aren't even in the same ballpark.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PYF posters are now extremely defensive about not understanding what clocks are

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Pff, you're just jealous that you can't think in .beats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not being able to read an analog clock is shockingly common now. This isn't me being "kids these days" though. The reality is its possible to go through life only ever seeing digital clocks so it just wasn't a required skill for them.

This is a reason, actually, that I wear an analog watch every day. I want to keep the skill off quickly reading the hands, because it atrophies very quickly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I keep time with an internal chronometer. When it ticks to zero, I will detonate.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

A physics professor I TA for told me he taught a 300 level class for physics majors wherein multiple students learned for the first time that the moon doesn't give off its own light, it just reflects the sun's light. I wouldn't believe it, except I'm always having to teach people in my labs how to use a ruler, so it's actually pretty plausible.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Now I never taught physics but you would be surprised at the amount of people who apply for welding/fabricating jobs that can't read a tape measure.

If someone had to have a tape that had common fractions on it it was an immediate no hire. If you can't read 16ths for a simple job like that then you're basically worthless.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
"We were in South Florida. It's weird, everyone speaks Spanish there—you know, because they're so close to Mexico..."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I taught an intro astronomy lab and you'd be surprised (well, maybe not) how much extremely basic misconceptions about space people have. I would give a basic ungraded "quiz" to get a sense of what they knew already, and multiple people every year would put that the Earth is the center of the solar system, the sun is just a planet, the earth is the only planet in the solar system, the moon is a star, the sun/solar system is at the center of our galaxy/the universe...

I guess the point of an intro course is to introduce this stuff to them, but it still never failed to surprise me how so many of them believed things that are so fundamentally wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Murphy Brownback posted:

I taught an intro astronomy lab and you'd be surprised (well, maybe not) how much extremely basic misconceptions about space people have. I would give a basic ungraded "quiz" to get a sense of what they knew already, and multiple people every year would put that the Earth is the center of the solar system, the sun is just a planet, the earth is the only planet in the solar system, the moon is a star, the sun/solar system is at the center of our galaxy/the universe...

I guess the point of an intro course is to introduce this stuff to them, but it still never failed to surprise me how so many of them believed things that are so fundamentally wrong.

This is a general question, if you don't mind me asking: is it possible for stars to exist within the nebulae of larger stars that have already gone supernova, and hold their own solar systems?

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Aug 15, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is a general question, if you don't mind me asking: is it possible for stars to exist within the nebulae of larger stars that have already gone supernova, and hold their own solar systems?

I guess your question is basically if a solar system could survive a nearby supernova, and the answer to that would be yes, if it's far enough away. It depends what you consider the extent of the supernova remnant, but solar systems/planets etc will feel some effects of supernovae up to tens -to hundreds of parsecs away. Stars that are much closer, like in a binary system (which can/do have planets) may be ejected by the supernova, and presumably any planets would be destroyed and/or dispersed out of their solar system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Murphy Brownback posted:

I guess your question is basically if a solar system could survive a nearby supernova, and the answer to that would be yes, if it's far enough away. It depends what you consider the extent of the supernova remnant, but solar systems/planets etc will feel some effects of supernovae up to tens -to hundreds of parsecs away. Stars that are much closer, like in a binary system (which can/do have planets) may be ejected by the supernova, and presumably any planets would be destroyed and/or dispersed out of their solar system.

Okay, I think I see where I've gone wrong with this. Nebulae are way larger than supernovas, I was conflating the two for some reason. Either way, interesting stuff.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny how teachers always think their esoteric academic subject is "fundamental knowledge"

In everyday life you never need to know if the moon makes its own light or whether the sun revolves around the earth or is the sun a planet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay? But its rather handy having someone with academic knowledge be available to people who actually do want to know this stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It's funny how teachers always think their esoteric academic subject is "fundamental knowledge"

In everyday life you never need to know if the moon makes its own light or whether the sun revolves around the earth or is the sun a planet

I just don't understand how you can grow up and not pick up things like that. In both history and science classes in middle/high school we spent a decent amount of time on the whole copernicus thing. I would think at some point in any child's life they will ask what the giant firey hot ball in the sky is, and apparently a lot of people are being told "we just don't know, don't bother thinking about that esoteric trivia". Maybe these answers would be expected in an elementary school class, but not in college in my opinion.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Aug 15, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Are you Sherlock Holmes?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Ein cooler Typ posted:

You're kidding, right? Or do you actually consider knowing that the earth is not to center of the universe to be some sort of arcane knowledge that only a selected few can grasp?

If you're kidding, I'm sorry, but I routinely find people who almost pride themselves on the fact that they know only things related to their job, and that's it. I am an attorney, and I teach at a leading European university, and it's a very common phenomenon even among academics.

I'm generally shocked by how little people actually read. I've read theses of llm students that suggest they have never read a book in their lives.

Recently I told a student that his conclusion was wrong, since he merely summarized everything he HD already said. "I'll change the time to 'summary' then." ugh...

Edit. Just FYI, since I realize it can come off as humblebrags, the goal was to point out that academia, law, etc., are full of ignorant people who just learned one thing and stuck to it.

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Aug 15, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Are you serious? Knowing that day and night is because the earth spins is "esoteric" to you? Sure, it doesn't matter to everyday life, but it IS one of the most fundamental, basic facts of our existence.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Here's some more "esoteric knowledge":

/r/psychonaut posted:

I saw it all on 800ug of LSD. Everything is predetermined. God exists, he is the Sun. He shines over us all. Everything is already planned out for us. We have no control over anything. You are a mere puppet, as am I. The moon is the devil. I can no longer bear the sight of it. I hear it calling me each night now, tempting me to sin. I can barely make it to the first ray of sunlight each morning.
If you don't believe me, take LSD and become enlightened.

It's not the idiocy that scares me, it's the 100% conviction behind it, and how common this poo poo is.:psypop: That's not to mention the folks who are literally a parody of themselves

tears up endangered plants to get munted posted:

I have difficulty with your language. Words like "drugs" and "trip" sound like you are understating the potential power of substances like DMT.

quote:

You’ve used this term drugs, repeatedly here, when we are actually talking about psychedelics.

quote:

In my opinion people who do not acknowledge plant spirits are merely ignorant and inexperienced.

quote:

How do you expect us to take you seriously when you use such loaded words like "magic", "hallucination" and "drugs"?

Real world thread content: second to last election the person in the polling booth next to mine asked me if a vote for the Liberals was a vote for Tony Abbot, (leader of the Liberal Party)

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is Australia just a country filled with everyone's goofy but racist uncle?

Hey! We're not all goofy.

Seriously Australia has a problematically large "I'm not racist but" demographic... I've also sadly learned that yes those racists do secretly yearn for the genocide of others, or at least democide, which apparently will truly make Australia great again.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

But the Earth IS flat, right?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yes.

Slightly.

At the poles.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
At least on the topic of the moon creating its own light it makes sense for people to think that since there are countless songs, movies, books, and video games that make references to "moonlight".
Of course, I would still expect someone in high school to know the truth about it reflecting light from the sun, and especially someone in higher education but yeah....there are a lot of dumb people out there who never read or question their surroundings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think in some cases in education it isn't even the utility of knowing that specific thing, it is understanding the relationships between the two things.

So a person might assume the moon gives off light because the sun gives off light. But if they learn the moon reflects the sun's light, then obviously they are more different than they seem.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
So is learning about the solar system not still part of elementary school science? Like, one of the most basic science projects you used to see little kids do is make a model of it with little styrofoam balls; I don't really understand how you can learn something like that and forget it by the time you get to high school or college.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The Mentalizer posted:

So is learning about the solar system not still part of elementary school science? Like, one of the most basic science projects you used to see little kids do is make a model of it with little styrofoam balls; I don't really understand how you can learn something like that and forget it by the time you get to high school or college.

America has really terrible schools is one of the issues.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I love that video, the way they're holding these animals like they are nothing more than stuffed toys. Stuffed toys who really want to bite his hand off.

That guy's (on the right) kind of nuts, though. He let a carpenter ant bite him, like a bunch of times, as well as getting intentionally quilled by a porcupine and also stung by a bullet ant.

Content: I talk to way too many people who use wireless devices and are simultaneously surprised that said wireless devices do, in fact, have an internal battery. I don't find the knowledge esoteric, but I don't hold all these people to the standard of understanding everything that I can gronk. ('cuz that's a really high bar even if I'm just an average dude who has some mechanical inclination, much higher of a bar the smarter you get.) My favorites are the ones who get something with two hot-swap batteries and wonder why the battery life isn't any higher and I have to ask them "Are you taking the second battery out and putting it on when the first is low?" They stammer a bit and then have something urgent to attend to right away but they'll call back kthxbye!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In old dell laptops there were 2 modular front bays. Usually they're set up as a cd drive and a battery, but you could run it on 2 batteries simultaneously and it was the best thing ever; in that case you actually could hot swap without ever shutting down the computer

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inner city minority in a poor and violent neighborhood: I need to find a way to get past the gangs and drug dealers to get to my job to try to take care of my family because my father is absent and my mother has a drug problem. My friend was gunned down by a rival gang for no reason and the police only to show up to harass the innocent. Our lights are shut off and our water is about to be canceled. My life is hell but I am trying the best I can.

Goons: B-b-but the solar system!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Inner city minority in a poor and violent neighborhood: I need to find a way to get past the gangs and drug dealers to get to my job to try to take care of my family because my father is absent and my mother has a drug problem. My friend was gunned down by a rival gang for no reason and the police only to show up to harass the innocent. Our lights are shut off and our water is about to be canceled. My life is hell but I am trying the best I can.

sorry you're embarrassed about not knowing poo poo

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

radiatinglines posted:

sorry you're embarrassed about not knowing poo poo

And really if youre going to use that argument (Life's a struggle, maaaaaaan, you just don't know) then why even bother with education. Teach them how to shoot and other useful skills. gently caress math (except for ounces and grams, right?) gently caress reading gently caress it all. Believe it or not, there are kids that come out of schools like that and actually do learn some stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

compiling a list of PYF posters who only just found out the earth revolves around the sun and are lashing out out of embarrassment

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GOONITY GOONY GOON GOON : there's a planet called Mars.

OLDPAINLESS : as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's nothin' left

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

A lot of the time it's more like this:

Urban lower middle class white kid and in a fairly decent neighborhood: I need to find a way to get my parents to give me the money to go to that concert this weekend because my father is a tightwad and my mother thinks I should go to a nice edifying museum. My friend is going with a really hot chick and there's a girl who'll go with me if I can just get a ticket. I'm too busy to do any homework and I'm about to get an F in science but I'm trying to pretend I give a poo poo about school while not actually learning anything.

Goons: B-b-but not being an ignorant fuckstick!

Edit: Spelling.

Filox has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Aug 15, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

drat I've been owned hardcore by everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Endbringer posted:

When we were teenagers my older sister wanted to buy some goat milk soap or something, so I convinced her that you have to kill a goat in order to get its milk.
Like two weeks later I was watching tv and she came bursting into the room:
:byodame: "YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL A GOAT FOR ITS MILK I JUST LOOKED IT UP!"

Some women on another forum were stunned to learn that birds aren't killed for their feathers because birds shed feathers. Especially ostriches. And peacocks, who shed those tail feathers constantly.

• Locked thread