Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Is there a system wide Adblock option if rooted? I prefer chrome but will totally switch to Firefox if it's the only way to get ad blocking

gently caress ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
AdAway works just fine for system wide.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DemonMage posted:

AdAway works just fine for system wide.

Note: this requires root

VVV :saddowns:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 7, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If only they'd been asking for an option to use while rooted.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BisterdDave posted:

I should've mentioned that I purely use Chrome on my phone, so I'm wondering if there's a way go have my favorites/bookmarks immediately on startup instead of having to press a couple buttons to get to my bookmarks.

Like the other posters said Firefox defaults to your bookmarks like Safari does and you can download uBlock Origin to kill ads.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Are there any good ad free(don't mind paying)apps for video editing on Android? I see a bunch of people putting great videos mixed with music on Instagram, and I doubt they are using their PC's.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

always be closing posted:

Are there any good ad free(don't mind paying)apps for video editing on Android? I see a bunch of people putting great videos mixed with music on Instagram, and I doubt they are using their PC's.

Adobe Clip is supposed to be pretty solid.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Finally, a "which of the following places have you visited recently" Google Rewards survey where I can truthfully answer something other than "none of the above". (Which are kind of my $0.10 at a time survey bread and butter.)

Granted, I only was passing through the place in question (a hotel) because I was in in the skyway in downtown Minneapolis and I took the hotel elevator to ground level. BUT I WAS THERE DAMMIT.

I left a nice review of the elevator.

Unrelated: I need to figure what to spend my $15 in surveybucks on, though I think I've still got a while before they expire. (Well less than a year since the oldest stuff has accumulated.) Already got paid versions of Nova Launcher, Weather Timeline, Pocketcasts, Fenix, etc. Maybe I'll buy a movie.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can you use them on YouTube Red/Google Play Music? YouTube Red is the poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I really like how Telegram lets you push-and-hold a button to record a voice message.

Is there an app that lets you do that, but like, just for yourself? If you wanted to record some audio on the quick for whatever?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

Not directly but you can buy a gift voucher and use it on your own account

At least you can for music, we still don't have red here so just guessing

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Already got a Google Play Music/Youtube Red family plan subscription, but yeah, might be worth saving a month of payments that way. (...actually, I'm not sure I can, because with sales tax it comes to slightly more than my balance and I don't know if you can split payment methods.)

I don't know if I'd really miss Youtube Red if it were gone (though ad-free videos are nice), and I doubt I'd pay for it separately, but Google Play Music is well worth the money on its own.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really like how Telegram lets you push-and-hold a button to record a voice message.

Is there an app that lets you do that, but like, just for yourself? If you wanted to record some audio on the quick for whatever?

Telegram message to yourself. It's also useful to move files between your devices if you also use the desktop client
https://telegram.org/blog/trending-stickers#personal-storage

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Uthor posted:

North America goon here. You can use credits on an individual Play Music or YouTube Red subscription. If you do a family plan, it asks you to link a credit card that everyone can use but I think you can approve purchases before they are made. This is just from a super quick glance from my phone though.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

It's been a little over a month since I asked about it, but wanted to pop back in and thank folks for Evernote replacement suggestions. I ended up going with OneNote. It's turned out to be absolutely perfect for the fairly light amount of use that it gets.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

docbeard posted:

Already got a Google Play Music/Youtube Red family plan subscription, but yeah, might be worth saving a month of payments that way. (...actually, I'm not sure I can, because with sales tax it comes to slightly more than my balance and I don't know if you can split payment methods.)

I don't know if I'd really miss Youtube Red if it were gone (though ad-free videos are nice), and I doubt I'd pay for it separately, but Google Play Music is well worth the money on its own.

Oh man, the amount of YouTube content my kids consume on my XBOne makes Red 2000%+ worth it. When my oldest forgets and launches YT from his account it's staggering how many (and how lovely they are) ads come in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For me, it's the ability to play videos in the background. I love being able to switch away to check my mail without having to pause and resume the video.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I know little about cooking, and the dishes I can make are very simple. I'm looking for a good cooking app that will help me make dishes and also make it easy for me to select multiple recipes and compile them into one ingredient shopping list than I can look at while I shop. So far I have played around briefly with Sidechef and Yummly, but I'm not sold on either. Any ideas?

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

blue squares posted:

good cooking app ... multiple recipes and compile them into one ingredient shopping list

I like Paprika.

The shopping list works really well (even sorts ingredients into categories/aisles) and it's easy to import most recipes online by sharing to the app or via bookmarklet on the desktop. It's expensive, but that's what google funbux are for.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
BigOven does all that and is free.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've noticed that Google Play Music no longer has a "casting" button when I'm listening over Bluetooth. I used to be able to stop sending audio to Bluetooth directly from the app. Now I need to go to my settings and turn off Bluetooth altogether to get it to stop sending audio over it.

(My car's Bluetooth is flaky, so I use the aux input. It always goes like this: plays 10 seconds of audio, Bluetooth connects and the sound drops out (cause the radio is set to aux), I go to the settings and turn off Bluetooth, the audio gets paused, I go back to Google Play Music and hit play a second time.)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like BigOven but I also found Kitchen Stories, which seems really great for beginners and is, shockingly, free.

edit: upon further use, and having my first experiment with cooking with Kitchen Stories turn into an inedible disaster, I think it's more style than substance. It looks amazing and has nice videos, but it's light on some details that would help a novice like me.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 16, 2016

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh man, the amount of YouTube content my kids consume on my XBOne makes Red 2000%+ worth it. When my oldest forgets and launches YT from his account it's staggering how many (and how lovely they are) ads come in.

This. I don't consume much YouTube outside a few random videos but my kid does. I didn't realize how grating the constant ads coming out of his room were until I put the family on Red.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does Smart Lock just not work for anyone else? I've set up my home and work addresses as trusted places but I'm always asked to enter my unlock pattern regardless.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It really depends exactly where your phone thinks your address is

Setting a custom point (or multiple ones) has always worked better for me

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Funny, I opened up Google Maps to check where it thought I was then Smart Lock started working :confused:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Does Smart Lock just not work for anyone else? I've set up my home and work addresses as trusted places but I'm always asked to enter my unlock pattern regardless.

I had this problem recently and fixed it by turning off screen lock completely (not just Smart Lock itself, the whole thing) and then setting it all up again. Haven't had issues since.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Veib posted:

I had this problem recently and fixed it by turning off screen lock completely (not just Smart Lock itself, the whole thing) and then setting it all up again. Haven't had issues since.

Thanks, I'll try that if it starts acting up again.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Duo is finally starting to roll out. According to AP, Hangouts is going to be transitioned into more of an enterprise service. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/16/google-planning-focus-hangouts-business-consumers-allo-duo-release/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Mine always breaks at "home". It's been fine for specific addresses. So, I entered my neighbor's house as an unlock zone and the problem (mostly) went away.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duo is finally rolling out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon&hl=en

AP also put it on their APK Mirror site:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/duo-by-google/duo-by-google-1-0-130018012-rc1_rc29-release/

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

This may be more a device thing than an app thing, but in a recent update, my Nexus 6 has started to reset the media volume to 50% whenever it connects to a headset or new bluetooth device (whether it be my bt headphones or car kit). I've tried a couple of different apps that claimed to set volumes per device (A2DP Volume, Bluetooth Volume), but have not found one that worked. Is there something out there I can use to stop or reverse this behavior, without having to root?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wish I could get rid of that infuriating "safe listening volume" warning

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, Google Voice + Hangouts has been pissing me off lately. I'll get a call, and I'll try to answer the ringing Hangouts dialer. But it either acts like it immediately hangs up or I see the regular phone's ringer (or both; I can't tell exactly what's going on). If I try to answer the regular ringer at that point, it hangs up, and the Hangouts dialer's ringer is nowhere to be found. I think that if I let the Google Voice thing pick up and ask for the person's name, then it forwards the call to my regular number just fine, but that's not always what I want to happen. What settings to I need to change to get this to work properly again?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

blue squares posted:

I wish I could get rid of that infuriating "safe listening volume" warning

My Asus tablet has a really weak amplifier. I can turn up the volume to max and barely hear the speaker unless my environment is silent. Still get a high volume warning.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Quick q: I have Nova Launcher and Tetra. Whenever I reply to someone's text, the app closes. Sometimes I would like to reply a second time, so it can be annoying. I don't know what setting is making it close, and googling around isn't helping. Anyone know? Thanks

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

blue squares posted:

Quick q: I have Nova Launcher and Tetra. Whenever I reply to someone's text, the app closes. Sometimes I would like to reply a second time, so it can be annoying. I don't know what setting is making it close, and googling around isn't helping. Anyone know? Thanks

I don't use Nova, but pretty sure this will help. You're probably using a quick reply instead of UnlockPhone/Textra/Conversation/Reply path to responding, since quick replies are way more useful. You can try disabling quick reply auto-closure, see if that helps.

It's under Settings/Customize Notifications/Auto-Close Quick Reply/ [toggle]

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

CrispKing posted:

I like Paprika.

The shopping list works really well (even sorts ingredients into categories/aisles) and it's easy to import most recipes online by sharing to the app or via bookmarklet on the desktop. It's expensive, but that's what google funbux are for.

Count me as another that uses and loves Paprika on my Android phone, iPad, macbook and Windows 10 desktop. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'd read a long time ago in the iOS apps thread that it's Goon made.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Reacean posted:

This may be more a device thing than an app thing, but in a recent update, my Nexus 6 has started to reset the media volume to 50% whenever it connects to a headset or new bluetooth device (whether it be my bt headphones or car kit). I've tried a couple of different apps that claimed to set volumes per device (A2DP Volume, Bluetooth Volume), but have not found one that worked. Is there something out there I can use to stop or reverse this behavior, without having to root?

I use trigger to do this and it works fine, dont think it needs root

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

I don't use Nova, but pretty sure this will help. You're probably using a quick reply instead of UnlockPhone/Textra/Conversation/Reply path to responding, since quick replies are way more useful. You can try disabling quick reply auto-closure, see if that helps.

It's under Settings/Customize Notifications/Auto-Close Quick Reply/ [toggle]

Oh, right. Duh. Thanks!