Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ILikeVoltron posted:

This not letting you "start" in the PM and "end" in the AM blows my mind in how awful and retarded it is. Some people are up past midnight? WHO loving KNEW MICROSOFT!

I get your point but for 99.9% of home users, that's be a misconfiguration and they'd get mad at Microsoft for rebooting their PC during the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TenementFunster posted:

i got my free windows 10 upgrade and then my motherboard died, so now I can't active windows with the same poo poo on a new motherboard and I get Error 0x803F7001. I've tried entering the default windows 10 pro key but I just get another error. How the hell can I activate? I really don't want to have to buy this poo poo.

reports are that 7 & 8 keys still work, at least when doing a clean install with the DL media.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TenementFunster posted:

i got my free windows 10 upgrade and then my motherboard died, so now I can't active windows with the same poo poo on a new motherboard and I get Error 0x803F7001. I've tried entering the default windows 10 pro key but I just get another error. How the hell can I activate? I really don't want to have to buy this poo poo.

There isn't any default Windows 10 key, the "key" that shows up when you got the free upgrade is just a placeholder that indicates you got it as a free upgrade instead of as a paid version.

You'll need to use a 7 or 8 key that's valid, or to have successfully logged in with a Microsoft Account on a free upgraded PC after the big update came out at the start of the month.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fishmech posted:

There isn't any default Windows 10 key, the "key" that shows up when you got the free upgrade is just a placeholder that indicates you got it as a free upgrade instead of as a paid version.

You'll need to use a 7 or 8 key that's valid, or to have successfully logged in with a Microsoft Account on a free upgraded PC after the big update came out at the start of the month.
edit: found my old windows 7 ultimate key. do I just put that into the win 10 activation process?

edit edit: lol works now.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 15, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

edit: found my old windows 7 ultimate key. do I just put that into the win 10 activation process?

edit edit: lol works now.

It's entirely likely it's only accepting them on a clean install, but you can of course try it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

FronzelNeekburm posted:

which means three or four Windows Defender updates a week

I ge these twice a goddamn day. I had to restrict it to install when I said so because I usually leave backups and processor-intensive jobs running over night.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since when do Defender updates required a reboot??

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Khablam posted:

It's entirely likely it's only accepting them on a clean install, but you can of course try it.
yeah the win7 key worked. it might have helped that it was the same win7 key tied to the install I upgraded to 10

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I started using dual monitors because of the olympics, and everytime I come back from the computer sleeping or the lock screen being up the windows are resized and moved. Are there any window management + desktop software or options I can tick so this stops happening? It's pretty annoying.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do I stop this from appearing at startup short of editing msconfig.exe?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Since when do Defender updates required a reboot??

They don't. But if you Notify to Install so that you can control reboots, you have to click for them to update. Constantly.

I'm fairly convinced that it's a deliberate punishment for not wanting on the "Reboot when we tell you" bandwagon.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ufarn posted:

How do I stop this from appearing at startup short of editing msconfig.exe?

Figure out what is running msiexec with no options at startup.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

KidDynamite posted:

So I started using dual monitors because of the olympics, and everytime I come back from the computer sleeping or the lock screen being up the windows are resized and moved. Are there any window management + desktop software or options I can tick so this stops happening? It's pretty annoying.

I'd start by checking your graphics driver settings. It might be your second monitor doing something funky and not sending a "I still exist" signal, but more likely it's the result of your GPU drivers trying to do something fancy like ultrawide desktop resolutions or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KidDynamite posted:

Do you have a displayport monitor? I have this problem, but only if I turn the DP monitor off with the power button. For some reason displayport is treated differently by windows than DVI/HDMI/VGA was -- the display gets removed as soon as it powers off, rather than detecting the physical connection. Super annoying and evidently nothing can be done about it.

If this is happening while it's just sleeping that's really weird, look in the monitor's settings or your video drivers as isndl said.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just ran the disk cleanup tool to get rid of the remnants of installing the Anniversary Update and it left behind a couple of nvidia files in the Windows.old/blahblah/DriverStore. Had to take ownership of them to be able to delete them, but even now it's telling me that it can't because they're in use by dwm.exe. Is that something like Desktop Window Manager? Why the gently caress would it still be loading drivers from an old installation? Microsoft are such bellends.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KidDynamite posted:

This can sometimes be fixed by creating a "custom" scaling level of 100% (or 125% or whatever's more comfortable for you). The same sort of thing happens on some laptops when the screen's turned off and setting the custom scaling factor seems to keep Windows from trying to switch to a different resolution.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html#option2

I'm not sure why this works, but it does seem to work.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I am rating this Anniversary Edition a 0/10 stars. I installed on it on my work laptop and have encountered the following so far.
  • Changed the sounds theme from No Sounds to the default one. No biggie, but still obnoxious for sound to start blasting out of my speakers.
  • Booted up after upgrade in airplane mode. Turned it off, clicked to connect to my router and had to re-enter my passphrase. A minor inconvenience for most, but I'm sure this would knock someone's grandma offline.
  • .Net 3.5 is no longer installed. It prompts me to install it when I run something that needs it, but it says it can't download it. Whatever, I can manually download the installer.
  • It uninstalled IIS from my machine. I go to Programs and Features to reinstall it. It tells me I need to download files from Windows update to install IIS. WTF? OK, I hit the button to do so. It throws an error message that it can't download updates. Great. I guess I'll just not work on my project today.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My main complaint is that I can no longer (as far as I can tell) tell it wholesale not to reboot my computer ever. My PC boots into Linux by default so most mornings I'm awakened to find I'm in Linux, my carefully curated set of editor windows, terminals, and running services thrown asunder. Maybe it's just trying to tell me something.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you really hate it, you can disable updates entirely by disabling the services and scheduled tasks, then re-enable them whenever you're ready to update.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is the Anniversary Update something that you need to actively initiate or otherwise opt-in? Is it possible it updated on its own some night and I never noticed because it didnt break anything?

It was March or April when I built a new PC and used my existing 7 key to clean install 10. I can tell that its been rebooted sometimes due to programs being closed that I know were left open (MIRC, mumble, browsers, poo poo like that), but otherwise everything seems A-OK.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It's both. It gets rolled out in waves so that Microsoft's servers don't die, but you can install it manually from this site.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Klyith posted:

Do you have a displayport monitor? I have this problem, but only if I turn the DP monitor off with the power button. For some reason displayport is treated differently by windows than DVI/HDMI/VGA was -- the display gets removed as soon as it powers off, rather than detecting the physical connection. Super annoying and evidently nothing can be done about it.

If this is happening while it's just sleeping that's really weird, look in the monitor's settings or your video drivers as isndl said.

I do have a displayport monitor and I'm just putting the computer to sleep so it's removing the monitor during that powerdown. Pretty annoying if this is just a thing with windows for now.

fishmech posted:

This can sometimes be fixed by creating a "custom" scaling level of 100% (or 125% or whatever's more comfortable for you). The same sort of thing happens on some laptops when the screen's turned off and setting the custom scaling factor seems to keep Windows from trying to switch to a different resolution.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html#option2

I'm not sure why this works, but it does seem to work.

I have custom scaling and it still happens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GI_Clutch posted:

I am rating this Anniversary Edition a 0/10 stars. I installed on it on my work laptop and have encountered the following so far.
  • .Net 3.5 is no longer installed. It prompts me to install it when I run something that needs it, but it says it can't download it. Whatever, I can manually download the installer.
  • It uninstalled IIS from my machine. I go to Programs and Features to reinstall it. It tells me I need to download files from Windows update to install IIS. WTF? OK, I hit the button to do so. It throws an error message that it can't download updates. Great. I guess I'll just not work on my project today.
Given that it's a work computer it's very likely these are both being caused by a group policy pointing you at a WSUS that doesn't have these files available on it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hooah posted:

I don't get the Explorer popup any more, but I'm now seeing the Notification thing pretty often. Almost always when I wake the computer, sometimes more than once, and occasionally if it's just sitting there not doing anything. Any other ideas, or am I going to have to refresh Windows?
Are you sure your HDD is spinning up fast enough when you wake the PC?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

Given that it's a work computer it's very likely these are both being caused by a group policy pointing you at a WSUS that doesn't have these files available on it.

No WSUS, the only policy is that we can't disable updates. Most of us are remote, so pulling down from a server at the central office would be a hindrance if anything. Even if we did, I'd imagine .Net 3.5 would be on there as 3/4 of the office folks are developers. Some googling shows that lots of people have issues installing .Net 3.5. You either download an offline installer or download a Win10 ISO and run a command line to install from it. The issue with IIS was that I was including ASP.Net 3.5 when trying to install it. When I left that out, I was able to get IIS installed. Then I got to recreate all of my app pools, virtual directories, etc. I'm good now, but it's still annoying that it basically wiped all of my configuration.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shumagorath posted:

Are you sure your HDD is spinning up fast enough when you wake the PC?

I dunno, but my storage drive isn't set to G; nothing ever is, as far as I can tell. I tried plugging a flash drive into all my front USB ports (rears are a pain to get to whole the machine's on) and it was always the same letter.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hooah posted:

I dunno, but my storage drive isn't set to G; nothing ever is, as far as I can tell. I tried plugging a flash drive into all my front USB ports (rears are a pain to get to whole the machine's on) and it was always the same letter.
Some piece of software is definitely looking for G:\, so you could try running Process Explorer or Handle to find out which one it is.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

All those tools are great and I've been using them since XP.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

What happens if you change the drive letter on a flash drive to G: and leave it in there for a while? You can do that by following this:

Right click on the Start menu
Select Disk Management.
Right-click on the drive letter you want to change and click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Change...
Use the drop down to the right of Assign the following drive letter: to select a new drive letter.
Click OK.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

It's not Windows doing anything differently, the monitors are actually stopping sending the "I'm here" signal. As far as the GPU is concerned the monitor is no longer there and that's what it'll tell every OS. For some reason a lot of DisplayPort monitors get this wrong. I assume it's a common scaler chip that has a lovely implementation or something like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not sure if anyone else has encountered this, but there seems to be an issue with the Win 10 Anniversary update "breaking" RDP shortcuts if you use custom desktop scaling.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shumagorath posted:

Some piece of software is definitely looking for G:\, so you could try running Process Explorer or Handle to find out which one it is.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

All those tools are great and I've been using them since XP.

I've only used Process Explorer as a glorified Task Manager before; how do I investigate what drive things are looking at? I went through all the tabs for columns you can add and didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

fishmech posted:

What happens if you change the drive letter on a flash drive to G: and leave it in there for a while? You can do that by following this:

This was recommended the last time I brought this up, but G isn't available in that drop-down. In "This PC", I have C-L showing (K and L being the flash drive that's currently plugged in), so those letters aren't available in Disk Management.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

I've only used Process Explorer as a glorified Task Manager before; how do I investigate what drive things are looking at? I went through all the tabs for columns you can add and didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

Actually you need Process Monitor to figure out what attempts to open G: and fails. It will log absurd amounts of data from just about anything you tell it to. Importantly it can log what file paths, registry paths etc. applications try to open, and whether they succeed or fail.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

Just ran the disk cleanup tool to get rid of the remnants of installing the Anniversary Update and it left behind a couple of nvidia files in the Windows.old/blahblah/DriverStore. Had to take ownership of them to be able to delete them, but even now it's telling me that it can't because they're in use by dwm.exe. Is that something like Desktop Window Manager? Why the gently caress would it still be loading drivers from an old installation? Microsoft are such bellends.

Not really an answer to your question but I had the same thing happen but with a different file. I booted into Safe Mode and was able to delete the file and folder.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nielsm posted:

Actually you need Process Monitor to figure out what attempts to open G: and fails. It will log absurd amounts of data from just about anything you tell it to. Importantly it can log what file paths, registry paths etc. applications try to open, and whether they succeed or fail.

Ok, looks like Explorer.EXE and svchost.exe are the culprits; ever so helpful. Here's a Pastebin of the output saved as CSV. Does anyone see anything fishy? Should I take this over to HOTS?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Ever since upgrading to Anniversary edition, my Start menu sometimes stops working if I'm logged in and idle for a long time. The bar with the power/sign off and sign on options still work, and so does search. The program list and tiles do not, however. Anyone else experience this?

Rebooting my PC or logging out and back in again solves the problem.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ever since upgrading to Anniversary edition, my Start menu sometimes stops working if I'm logged in and idle for a long time. The bar with the power/sign off and sign on options still work, and so does search. The program list and tiles do not, however. Anyone else experience this?

Rebooting my PC or logging out and back in again solves the problem.

Does it last long? It sounds like a paging issue which, if it is, should rectify itself in about 10-12 seconds, depending on the speed of your various computer bits.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Arsten posted:

Does it last long? It sounds like a paging issue which, if it is, should rectify itself in about 10-12 seconds, depending on the speed of your various computer bits.

As far as I can tell, it never starts working again until I either restart the PC, or log out/back in. I'm running the OS on an SSD and a 1 TB Regular HDD for media and games and poo poo.

E: Actually, it started working again without a restart. Took over an hour though.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 16, 2016

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
There is an update to the sticky notes app on the anniversary edition that significantly decreases the text size.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well, Microsoft sure are doing a top-notch job convincing people they're completely incompetent in their jobs.

I don't see how anyone ever buys anything Microsoft when there's an option with the amount of willing stupidity you need to have to design something this badly.

"Do not ever reboot without the user giving permission" isn't much to ask from an OS.

Neither is "stop changing settings to broken defaults in updates when the user has very loving deliberately changed them". Or "don't introduce unnecessary unskippable animations". Or "don't migrate the user from one software to another without asking, especially when the one you're migrating to is a beta that doesn't work yet". The list goes on.

This isn't even something you would gently caress up by accident - you need to be very deliberately working toward loving up.

I feel for Microsoft PR, if they still live. There wouldn't be enough moonshine in the world to enable me to survive that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is there a way to permanently set core affinity for a program in windows 10?

Relatedly, can I set a maximum ram limit for a program?

I want my numerical analysis tools to leave one of my processors and 2gb of ram alone.

Hope this is the right thread for this question. Thank you!