Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

and some accuracy upgrades

I can tell you from experience that Granteed definitely need more than 7 accuracy upgrades!

ActionZero posted:

I'm sure someone told me that at the end of OG2nd Shine makes Latooni start moonlighting as an idol singer in Riksent. Is that true or was it just a fever dream?

Meanwhile I've barely started Moon Dwellers and I keep being confused by some of the design decisions. Why does Hugo get Hit and Away but Aqua doesn't? Why does the Gespenst Type N have a chain attack but the Type G doesn't?

At the end of 2ndOG someone says that they should totally start doing the Idol thing for real and Latooni could work the Fairlions into a routine and she gets embarassed but Ryusei goes "I'd love it!" and she says she'll give it some thought. I think.

A lot of the time the reason a thing will lack an F or C weapon is to get you to equip one. In the case of the Gespenst G its because it has a Post Movement ALL attack that is range 1 and uses the melee stat (effectively a C attack with rank 1 of the ability) and chain attacks are pretty worthless compared to an ALL attack 99% of the time anyway so nothing of value was lost.

GimmickMan posted:

Did the flashes of Asakim's sins, fate and DESPAIR!!!!11 during Ray Buster end up being anything meaningful?

Nope, fingers crossed for OG delving into it! There's a lot of cool speculation you can do about Asakim, but Z3 failed miserably at getting any of the interesting bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In my heart of hearts I still want to believe the Shurouga is a corrupted form of Cybuster from the Cybuster anime.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
What was the 3rd robot in J besides Granteed and Belezute? That was my favorite one... :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

What was the 3rd robot in J besides Granteed and Belezute? That was my favorite one... :(

Coustwell. It is in MD but as a secret unit.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Coustwell. It is in MD but as a secret unit.

Without the finisher.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
And if you get it you miss out on the gloriousness of Insane Yelling In A Kung-Fu Robot.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'm playing SRW 64.

I miss being able to hit things, why does no one have strike or focus agggggh. Basically my good units are Daitarn 3 and the Simurgh, everyone else ranges from mediocre to oh god I can't wait to bench you.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BlitzBlast posted:

And if you get it you miss out on the gloriousness of Insane Yelling In A Kung-Fu Robot.

That's what they said about Geminion 0. I'm not sold.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Just beat the game last night, I'm really glad people suggested putting tons of PP into SP up. The bosses towards the end (especially in stage 42) were pretty brutal and I was using every last drop of my SP.

Guessing next up is to do a hard run on New Game +, what carries over into that?

KoB
May 1, 2009
EX Hard blocks all upgrades of any kind, but I assume you just mean SR Point hard mode.

50% of all earned PP, AP, Money and also full kill counts.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

GimmickMan posted:

Did the flashes of Asakim's sins, fate and DESPAIR!!!!11 during Ray Buster end up being anything meaningful?

The most that came from that was Crowe. Why he showed up in it was a mystery in itself.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

KoB posted:

EX Hard blocks all upgrades of any kind, but I assume you just mean SR Point hard mode.

50% of all earned PP, AP, Money and also full kill counts.

Right you are, and thanks!

Didn't know about EX hard, that sounds brutal. Are there any other changes in that difficulty?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're always in Hard mode too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ryoga posted:

The most that came from that was Crowe. Why he showed up in it was a mystery in itself.
That was proven to be false, IIRC. It was just some random dude who looked and dressed similar to Crowe.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah okay the Dracodeus is borked. Who gives a machine a free reductive barrier?

Maybe it gets nerfed in OGs3 or 4 or whatever.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Caphi posted:

That's what they said about Geminion 0. I'm not sold.

By miss out, he means that the insane yelling is enemy only. It really does lose something without the pilot hamming it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Yeah okay the Dracodeus is borked. Who gives a machine a free reductive barrier?

Maybe it gets nerfed in OGs3 or 4 or whatever.

I assume you'll get the original mecha back + maybe the Coustwell and they'll justify reupgrading partway through.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you'll get the original mecha back + maybe the Coustwell and they'll justify reupgrading partway through.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Touya come back in a Vorlent as a nod to the new game+++ option in SRWJ.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phlogistic posted:

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Touya come back in a Vorlent as a nod to the new game+++ option in SRWJ.

One too many pluses. You just needed to have beat the game with both protagonists.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Caphi posted:

If you think Orgone Cloud is bad in this game, you should've seen the Raftclans in J. Double Image, a barrier, and teleportation. Throw in Shoot Down and Sword Cut too because why the gently caress not?!

ImpAtom posted:

A Touya-custom Vorlent was designed for this game, but went unused. Since the Granteed was hyped as this royal artifact, it's very possible that when the J crew show up again Touya will be in a Vorlent instead.

Alternatively, next time he shows up he'll have accidentally angered the Powerpuffs by forgetting to take out the trash or something, so no Granteed for a week.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Or next time ShanaMia will be his exclusive subpilot and the Powerpuffs get to hang out with noted cool characters Calvina and Al-Van.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GilliamYaeger posted:

By miss out, he means that the insane yelling is enemy only. It really does lose something without the pilot hamming it up.

Jua Mu's voice actor is really good.

Pureauthor posted:

Or next time ShanaMia will be his exclusive subpilot and the Powerpuffs get to hang out with noted cool characters Calvina and Al-Van.

There's three Powerpuffs and a princess, four robots to evenly spread them out in and then only three pilots! If they do a thing like the APT-Link or fixing the OS in the Exexbein and retrofit the Coustwell so its like the Bellzelute and can have a regular person pilot with a Powerpuff making everything work that'd be super cool.

I know I said earlier about a lack of pilot swapping for anything that came after OG1 and 2, but it turns out you can swap Sieg and Sally into all the regular stuff everybody else can and they can go in their stuff too! I didn't check to see if you could equip stuff on them, but I doubt it. Maybe next game like the Chevalier!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technically there's no reason they shouldn't just be able to shove a Powerpuff into the Coustwell AFAIK. Calvina's entire thing is that she is a completely normal person who can pilot the robot only because a Powerpuff is in it and Granteed is the only one locked to a specific pilot. (Plotwise.)

Well, Al-Van's Raftclans is locked to him because it is tuned to him, not because nobody else can pilot it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I was gonna say maybe its because the Bellzelute was built with the human/powerpuff combo in mind as part of The Project and the Coustwell is pure Fury tech, but you can put Calvina in the Coustwell if you want right? Which completely sinks that reason for why it shouldn't be allowed beyond "it's from J only people from J can pilot it"

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

But I like Shana-Mia and want her to go have fun with cool characters like Calvina and Al-Van. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I was gonna say maybe its because the Bellzelute was built with the human/powerpuff combo in mind as part of The Project and the Coustwell is pure Fury tech, but you can put Calvina in the Coustwell if you want right? Which completely sinks that reason for why it shouldn't be allowed beyond "it's from J only people from J can pilot it"

Yeah, if Calvina can pilot it there's absolutely no reason nobody else can, not even the usual "well, it's designed for a specific person."

Maybe they'll open it up next game the way they did the Exex

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I wouldn't be surprised if Granteed was locked away for special reasons so Touya is in the Coustwell for the start of the next game. I'd love for it to be opened up like the Exexbein, part of the fun of OG is the swapping!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if Calvina can pilot it there's absolutely no reason nobody else can, not even the usual "well, it's designed for a specific person."

Maybe they'll open it up next game the way they did the Exex

I want the Cerberus and Garmraid to open up, too.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

I want the Cerberus and Garmraid to open up, too.

For real. The only thing better for Katina and Russel to pilot than a robot that punches drills is one that punches mouths.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
When they say the Haken was meant for a pilot no longer in this world, who are they referencing? Kyosuke's alternate self or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

When they say the Haken was meant for a pilot no longer in this world, who are they referencing? Kyosuke's alternate self or something?

At the time they didn't realize W-00 was still around. They assumed that he was lost in the transportation because nobody knew he ended up as Haken in the Endless Frontier

The original Gespenst Haken data was what was used to make the Phantom in Endless Frontier too. It was (as you'd guess by the name) designed to be his personal mech.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 16, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

At the time they didn't realize W-00 was still around. They assumed that he was lost in the transportation because nobody knew he ended up as Haken in the Endless Frontier

The original Gespenst Haken data was what was used to make the Phantom in Endless Frontier too. It was (as you'd guess by the name) designed to be his personal mech.

I'm a little unclear on some of these Endless Frontier details because the EF1 plot is a blur to me and I never played Exceed.

At the beginning of OG2, Axel comments that W00 isn't even a pilot. Why would they design a mech for a W that isn't a pilot? Honest question, no snide tone intended.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's the Shadow Mirrors. Why wouldn't they design a weapon?

That really is my best answer.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Shadow Mirror are defintely the sort of people that would design and build a custom mech for a pilot that is still an child before realizing that an actual human takes forever to grow compared to making a bioroid all set up and ready to go. Haken was lost as an infant so the last time Axel would have heard about him as of OG2 would have been when he was still a child. I think.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

Shadow Mirror are defintely the sort of people that would design and build a custom mech for a pilot that is still an child before realizing that an actual human takes forever to grow compared to making a bioroid all set up and ready to go. Haken was lost as an infant so the last time Axel would have heard about him as of OG2 would have been when he was still a child. I think.

This is a very good answer, thank you!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hokuto posted:

I'm a little unclear on some of these Endless Frontier details because the EF1 plot is a blur to me and I never played Exceed.

At the beginning of OG2, Axel comments that W00 isn't even a pilot. Why would they design a mech for a W that isn't a pilot? Honest question, no snide tone intended.

Its because Lemon dotes on her surrogate children way, way too much. Just look at her treatment of Lamia.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
OK language wizards I've got another one for you! The Grungust Type 2 finisher! I've managed to find stuff for the all the other Grungust attacks and stuff, but Honmeisatsu is eluding me. I'm sure it's something dark murder doomy calamitous karma-y from what I remember of the GBA and what the Grungust Kai's moves are called.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Its because Lemon dotes on her surrogate children way, way too much. Just look at her treatment of Lamia.

You can tell Lemon is a true Excellen by her ultimate iteration of the W series and the one she considers her perfect child is the one with the largest breasts and skimpiest skin-tight outfit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In addition it's worth remembering that Shadow Mirror's stated goal is eternal endless war and all of the stuff designed for Haken is specifically designed to be for his protection. The Phantom and Aschen both are there to be his bodyguards and the Haken is custom-programmed to effectively be piloted by pressing a few buttons which is why completely untrained Haken can hop right in and kick things in the face with some Aschen help.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

OK language wizards I've got another one for you! The Grungust Type 2 finisher! I've managed to find stuff for the all the other Grungust attacks and stuff, but Honmeisatsu is eluding me. I'm sure it's something dark murder doomy calamitous karma-y from what I remember of the GBA and what the Grungust Kai's moves are called.

I've been doing some research on this lately, so it's lesson time! Irm's attacks are taken from Nine Star Astrology, which adopts some principles of feng shui. Honmeisatsu (本命殺) is one of the directions of misfortune that you want to avoid going in, in this case because it represents killing (殺) your heart's desire (本命), ie, it will lead to the undoing of whatever it is that you want the most. Ankensatsu, or "dark sword killing" (暗剣殺) represents a sword stabbing out at you from the shadows, ie, misfortune striking you in an unexpected way. I think Shungokuken (瞬獄剣) has a similar origin but I'm not sure off the top of my head?

The thing about Nine Star Astrology is that I'm pretty sure it came from Hindu, then got shipped to Chinese, then got shipped to Japanese. I would really like to find out if these direction names have equivalents in the original Hindu version of the astrology, but so far I haven't had any luck there.

Something I DID find a Hindu equivalent of was Keito-Rago Ken (計都羅黑剣), which literally translates to Ketu-Rahu Sword. This is brought up in OG2 in a discussion after Ryukooh brings up 羅黑神 (The god Rahu) in its initial warnings to its pilots, and the conversation turns to Irm's attack names. Ketu and Rahu represent the twin stars of misfortune in Nine Star Astrology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Played a bunch of English MD last night. Lot of fun. I can understand about 80% of what's going on which is an improvement over the 10% using friend's cliffnotes. The parts I struggle to understand are usually when the political plots come up and those filler hard sci-fi segments like warp routes and military doctrine (I'm amazed how many of these there are).

Best discovery so far is that Unison twin ability seems to last all stage as long as you don't split. Was it always like this??? Gonna use Russel for the first time ever.

AP seems overly plentiful. I'm up to like 11 movement blocks in the first 10 stages.

Only SR point I struggled with so far was the kill 14 units and land all your units within five turns.

• Locked thread