Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

threeagainstfour posted:

it's going to be a (in GSP voice) crazy good fight guys!

I'm a guy who often tells my friends French canadianly that I'm not impressed with their performance, but I literally can't imagine that statement in GSP's voice and so in my head it morphs into an ethnic mishmash borat type thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Le Saboteur posted:

Also, Conor is already subtly making excuses before the fight even begins with his talk about Nate being a giant walking around at 200 lbs right now.

yea

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Decades posted:

I'm a guy who often tells my friends French canadianly that I'm not impressed with their performance, but I literally can't imagine that statement in GSP's voice and so in my head it morphs into an ethnic mishmash borat type thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxpqZfIOys&t=107s

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Conor won't win by decision because he will be gassed before the beginning of the third.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Conor changing up his entire training camp structure for Nate Diaz is why I love this sport

His excuse is 4 out of his last 8 match ups pulled out, so training specific fighters doesn't make sense normally, but Nate doesn't pull out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like that he's saying Nate is two hundred pounds as if Conor hadn't been cutting a drastic amount of weight to fight all of his previous UFC opponents.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Apparently the key to winning at featherweight is to be so big that your only competitive fights are against pancakes, a weed elemental, and the bathtub.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I like that he's saying Nate is two hundred pounds as if Conor hadn't been cutting a drastic amount of weight to fight all of his previous UFC opponents.

how exactly is conor saying nate is 200lbs while suggesting he himself has not ever cut weight

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So the only option for Conor at fw is the aldo rematch right? I'd like to see that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Team_q posted:

His excuse is 4 out of his last 8 match ups pulled out, so training specific fighters doesn't make sense normally, but Nate doesn't pull out.

You have to be careful when facing a guy like Nate Diaz who is a hard opponent, a rock hard opponent who doesn't pull out no matter what

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

So the only option for Conor at fw is the aldo rematch right? I'd like to see that.

He's been saying that Aldo is a runner and after watching that last fight it's not very compelling for him to go down and face him because he doesn't think it's a good enough of a fight.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Google Butt posted:

That liar, Diana White, guaranteed that that was his next matchup

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tsyni posted:

He's been saying that Aldo is a runner and after watching that last fight it's not very compelling for him to go down and face him because he doesn't think it's a good enough of a fight.

unless he beats nate in a really dominant and compelling fashion, Aldo is all he's got.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

how exactly is conor saying nate is 200lbs while suggesting he himself has not ever cut weight

I don't think he's saying he himself never cut weight, he's just doing classic Conor where he repeats stuff in the media over and over that just isn't true.

For example, he said that RDA was a pussy who "went runnin" with a "bruised foot" over and over again in the lead up to 196, and is still saying that, despite the fact that a 5 second Google search turns up a photo of RDA's enormously swollen broken foot.

It's just him working the media and building a narrative up around himself and the fight. It also probably helps to build his self confidence if he really, truly believes that RDA ran from a fight with him. Though only McGregor would know if he really believes that.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Conor's new training regimen for Nate found. https://twitter.com/high_light/status/719652536580321280

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I already know the answer to this but do these people never spar against a resisting opponent?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Thank you, my impression has gained new dimensions today

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I don't care for this fight

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I don't care for this fight

Fights gonna own

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

1st AD posted:

I already know the answer to this but do these people never spar against a resisting opponent?

The techniques are just too dangerous to try on anything but the air in front of the practitioner or a single unmoving focus mitt held by another expert of the craft.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Nate Diaz beat Conor's power punching with his style that involves many strikes that don't connect with as much force. Imagine how effective he would be if he threw four times as many strikes and they didn't connect at all.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Someone linked this earlier and I just want to thank them. It's a bunch of fighters talking about Nate Diaz.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/12/12424062/heart-of-the-209-ufc-202-nate-diaz

Does anyone have anything similar or other good long pieces (mmm) to help kill some time today?

http://www.espn.com/mma/features/prideandglory

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=eightmenout

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/tomato-can-blues/

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Minotauro-A-Sherdog-Retrospective-91719

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

threeagainstfour posted:

I don't think he's saying he himself never cut weight, he's just doing classic Conor where he repeats stuff in the media over and over that just isn't true.

For example, he said that RDA was a pussy who "went runnin" with a "bruised foot" over and over again in the lead up to 196, and is still saying that, despite the fact that a 5 second Google search turns up a photo of RDA's enormously swollen broken foot.

It's just him working the media and building a narrative up around himself and the fight. It also probably helps to build his self confidence if he really, truly believes that RDA ran from a fight with him. Though only McGregor would know if he really believes that.

i understand why conor's saying nate's cutting a lot of weight. i just don't know how someone goes from those comments to the conclusion 'conors acting like he's never cut weight before'

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

i understand why conor's saying nate's cutting a lot of weight. i just don't know how someone goes from those comments to the conclusion 'conors acting like he's never cut weight before'

Word, I misunderstood you.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I see Conor is working on his ground game with a partner in those embedded videos and all that but I still think once Nate gets him down he's going to blank out again on what to do and get schooled

I want it to be far more competitive than that but I don't see it going any other way

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I guess Dana White just said on some radio interview that Jon Jones situation is looking good.

he's totally getting off the hook and fighting Daniel Cormier at MSG. Brock Lesnar served as the fall guy

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I see Conor is working on his ground game with a partner in those embedded videos and all that but I still think once Nate gets him down he's going to blank out again on what to do and get schooled

I want it to be far more competitive than that but I don't see it going any other way

Especially if Nate gets him down after he touches Conor's chin a couple times again.

Thats kind of the interesting thing about Nate's BJJ expertise is he can get tagged well for 3 or 4 rounds and still be very threatening off his back. Eddie Bravo even mentioned Conor's BJJ is quite good but it completely disappears as soon as he starts getting hit hard.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bubba Smith posted:

I guess Dana White just said on some radio interview that Jon Jones situation is looking good.

[colemanly] FUUUUUCK. gently caress.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas/status/765611678071271424

Bones Jones is so elusive, fighters, the police, the judicial system, and now USADA. None of them can hold him down.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Nice and flowy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

I wasn't saying Conor acted like he never cut weight. I'm saying it is ironic he is bringing it up at all since he beat all those featherweights by being way bigger than them.

It's also blatantly false.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

threeagainstfour posted:

https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas/status/765611678071271424

Bones Jones is so elusive, fighters, the police, the judicial system, and now USADA. None of them can hold him down.

If Jones is really able to get out from under this by a one in a million shot of finding the golden ticket tainted supplement (that he probably didn't even take) than I don't even know anymore.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
So what's the angle here, Jones mistook Brock's penis for his own?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

he's totally getting off the hook and fighting Daniel Cormier at MSG. Brock Lesnar served as the fall guy

hell yeah.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

there is no way Conor could decision Nate and it be tepid, has anyone who's decisioned him had a boring fight?

also there is no way that fight can disappoint more than UFC 200 & 201

and it would be funny if Jon Jones managed to cost himself millions of dollars while being completely innocent

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Jon Jones is not completely innocent. I don't know why God's plan is to never punish Jon Jones and instead punish Mark Hunt a hundred times in a row but it's probably a bad reason

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Jon Jones is Misunderstood

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

Jon Jones is not completely innocent. I don't know why God's plan is to never punish Jon Jones and instead punish Mark Hunt a hundred times in a row but it's probably a bad reason

It's so that we hate Jon Jones and love Mark Hunt. Jon Jones may have millions of dollars but you can't buy love.

:love: Hunt

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm imagining a bunch of low level Jackson-Winklejohn fighters sent to the local GNC and just buying one of everything so they can find a hypodermic needle in a haystack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I'd be pretty good if they end up blaming Jon's supplement sponsor GAT.

• Locked thread