Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Well guess it's begun. I know I should wait and see what else pops out but gahh 1070 right at my price range do I impulse buy this or not? https://www.amazon.com/GL502VS-DB71-Full-HD-Gaming-I7%25C2%25AD6700Q-Windows/dp/B01K1INYD0/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Well guess it's begun. I know I should wait and see what else pops out but gahh 1070 right at my price range do I impulse buy this or not? https://www.amazon.com/GL502VS-DB71-Full-HD-Gaming-I7%25C2%25AD6700Q-Windows/dp/B01K1INYD0/

At the very least wait for it to get in stock for Amazon or Newegg (or wherever) proper rather than buying a price-gouged one from a reseller. You can wait a little longer!

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Hey, Been meaning to find something to replace my ageing 17 inch gaming laptop, looking for something I can actually carry around and use in public (so 13-15 inches) with enough power to do light video editing and handle creating 2d games in unity. Budget is up to 600£, living in :sweden: , new or refurbished doesn't matter.

The x220-x260 series looks promising, but I'm having trouble finding good deals. (or being sure that they are good)

Found this on Amazon uk. Looks good? CPU wise similar to what I have now, but sans desktop GPU. I'm having a hard time to find out how much a desktop graphics card matters for things like Unity, so... Should I hold out for a good deal on a x250? Other options?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BrainDance posted:

Heh, laptop makers said "gently caress it' and are just sticking GTX 1080, 1070, and 1060's in laptops now

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/08/nvidia-pascal-laptop-specs-gtx-1080/

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

FSLR is so much fun to watch that it makes me want to touch the poop.

e: wrong thread. Whoops.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atomizer posted:

At the very least wait for it to get in stock for Amazon or Newegg (or wherever) proper rather than buying a price-gouged one from a reseller. You can wait a little longer!

Ah, dude, I just can't. Is it really that bad of a price for what it is? Looking at comparable MSI models it looks reasonable (and those look insane.)

I have the money, it is money dedicated to getting a new laptop with a 1070 and an i7 to replace my broken screen laptop with an i3 and integrated graphics. I am seriously maybe an hour away from just hitting the drat button and buying it. But I don't know exactly enough about laptops as all my past posts have shown. So, yeah I know if I wait I can get something comparable but I don't mind paying a slight premium.

Is this somewhere near reasonable for what it is?
Are Asus laptops well regarded?
Does this specific laptop look like it would be a good laptop to have (I've been checking the stats as much as I know how to do based on what everyone's told me in this thread, but I don't know if there's something I might be missing.)

Edit: linking again to keep context so people don't have to scroll back https://www.amazon.com/GL502VS-DB71-Full-HD-Gaming-I7%25C2%25AD6700Q-Windows/dp/B01K1INYD0/

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

BrainDance posted:

I'm in the same situation. Sorely tempted. There's a humongous Asus G752 with a GTX1070 in stock near me.
In terms of GPU power this machine should easily last me 3-4 years at 1080p. I had a G73-JH years ago and was very happy with it.

This would be pretty much on par with a full desktop machine but I'd be able to stow it away when not in use (which is most of the time because I consider myself a casual gamer).

The only downside I see is the design of those Asus ROG laptops, although they are pretty "tame" compared to MSI. I'd prefer them to look boring like a Gigabyte Aero with the black cover. I've got a rMBP for everyday use so the Asus would never leave the house but still.

What if mobile GTX10x0 parts suffer from the same supply issues as the desktop parts?
From what I've gathered some use the same chips as the desktop cards but are binned even more aggressively, so supply issues seem likely. It's not like there are any alternatives to this mobile GPU. :ohdear:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I mean, the new Gigabyte/Aorus lines have 10xx (including 13.9" 1060) they're just more expensive atm. Definitely look better though...

e: See xoticpc: http://www.xoticpc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=gtx+1070+laptop and http://www.xoticpc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=gtx+1060+laptop

1060 for $1,229: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8152-clevo-p650rp6.html

1070 for $1,529: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8153-clevo-p650rs.html

I think I might just wait for more 14" laptops to come out with the 1060, but poo poo we'll see.

e: Actually, this looks pretty good: http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p55wv6-pc3d.html. 15", 1060, ~1,550. Definitely glad I waited.

foutre fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 16, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Heh, laptop makers said "gently caress it' and are just sticking GTX 1080, 1070, and 1060's in laptops now

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/08/nvidia-pascal-laptop-specs-gtx-1080/

That's been the plan since they were announced, at least for the 1070 and 1080

Presuming they wire them up correctly, they ought to be VR-capable for low end use, like playing TF2 inside of Virtual Desktop.

Until I see that review, I'm sceptical, but hopeful. I'd love up replace my current 2010 era desktop with a T470p with a 1060 or 1070. The era of the gaming laptop might finally be upon us(?). Still waiting on the whole thermal throttling situation though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That's been the plan since they were announced, at least for the 1070 and 1080

Presuming they wire them up correctly, they ought to be VR-capable for low end use, like playing TF2 inside of Virtual Desktop.

Until I see that review, I'm sceptical, but hopeful. I'd love up replace my current 2010 era desktop with a T470p with a 1060 or 1070. The era of the gaming laptop might finally be upon us(?). Still waiting on the whole thermal throttling situation though.

There are already comprehensive reviews over here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia...0.171566.0.html

The end of the page links to a handful of actual device reviews. The news looks very good — no throttling and performance is within 5-10% of desktop machines, so just as capable in VR.
The ridiculous water-cooled Asus notebook is actually 15% faster than i-6700K with a FE GTX1080. :psyduck:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honestly the only real downside of the Asus linked above is no Optimus support. The ASUS GL502VS, for reference.

It still gets like 3 hours of battery life while web browsing, but that's not exactly uh, great by any means. Other than that it's actually a pretty fantastic price, it seems quite light, the screen isn't awful at 280 nits and a 160 degree viewing angle. And of course it has a 1070 at $1699, which is a price point that's really hard to beat. the sager NP8153-S has similar specs for like $20 less, and I like the keyboard lighting better. Unfortunately it's hella bulky, battery life is similarly lovely, and there are no reviews. It also looks plasticky as poo poo, and it's a full pound heavier than the Asus.

I'd go for the asus honestly. You can get it here for $1650 and you get a free headset, though the downside is that it's not through amazon. Pretty ugly rear end keyboard though, gotta say, but at least the branding is a bit understated.

i think it might be the standout hit honestly.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 16, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Asus looks real ugly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

That Asus looks real ugly.

sure does, but at least it's less ugly than the competition

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly the only real downside of the Asus linked above is no Optimus support. The ASUS GL502VS, for reference.

It still gets like 3 hours of battery life while web browsing, but that's not exactly uh, great by any means. Other than that it's actually a pretty fantastic price, it seems quite light, the screen isn't awful at 280 nits and a 160 degree viewing angle. And of course it has a 1070 at $1699, which is a price point that's really hard to beat. the sager NP8153-S has similar specs for like $20 less, and I like the keyboard lighting better. Unfortunately it's hella bulky, battery life is similarly lovely, and there are no reviews. It also looks plasticky as poo poo, and it's a full pound heavier than the Asus.

I'd go for the asus honestly. You can get it here for $1650 and you get a free headset, though the downside is that it's not through amazon. Pretty ugly rear end keyboard though, gotta say, but at least the branding is a bit understated.

i think it might be the standout hit honestly.

That's good to hear because I just said gently caress it and bought it like an hour after making that post.

By no Optimus support I assume you're referring to VR stuff? Does that mean just absolutely no VR at all, straight up not powerful enough, not gonna do it, or just no official support and software or whatever?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BrainDance posted:

That's good to hear because I just said gently caress it and bought it like an hour after making that post.

By no Optimus support I assume you're referring to VR stuff? Does that mean just absolutely no VR at all, straight up not powerful enough, not gonna do it, or just no official support and software or whatever?

optimus has nothing to do with VR. I tmeans that the intel iGPU is entirely disabled. Most laptops with discrete graphics cards switch back and forth between the iGPU and the dGPU in order to save battery life - that does not look like that is the case with any 1070 equipped laptop as far as I can tell. It apparently is the case for the Asus 502VT(I think? the Asus with the 1060), which does have Optimus enabled, with the associated rise in battery life.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eames posted:

There are already comprehensive reviews over here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia...0.171566.0.html

The end of the page links to a handful of actual device reviews. The news looks very good — no throttling and performance is within 5-10% of desktop machines, so just as capable in VR.
The ridiculous water-cooled Asus notebook is actually 15% faster than i-6700K with a FE GTX1080. :psyduck:

Thanks for that link, this is a pretty choice quote

amazeballs score posted:

Nvidia's Geforce 1070 (Notebook) also is only 7% behind the desktop GPU with the same name, i.e. it also roughly reaches the same performance level. It is noteworthy that the Geforce GTX 980M as predecessor is outperformed by about 42% [by the notebook 1070]. Even the Geforce GTX 980 (Notebook), which was the most powerful GPU a short while ago, is outpaced by high 27%.

Updating the OP.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

The Iron Rose posted:

sure does, but at least it's less ugly than the competition

The Gigabyte laptops look fairly normal, and apparently they're doing a refresh of the Aero 14 (right after it's finally available) with a 10xx card which should be good.

But that's a 3-500 dollar premium for potentially some battery life and less bad aesthetics, so probably not worth it...

e: Like, this has potentially 32 gb of ram, a 1060 and a i7-6820HK in a 13.9" laptop, but it's so much more expensive. My semester starts in late september, guess I'll try and wait as long as I can to see if more smaller 1060 laptops are released.

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 16, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

optimus has nothing to do with VR. I tmeans that the intel iGPU is entirely disabled. Most laptops with discrete graphics cards switch back and forth between the iGPU and the dGPU in order to save battery life - that does not look like that is the case with any 1070 equipped laptop as far as I can tell. It apparently is the case for the Asus 502VT(I think? the Asus with the 1060), which does have Optimus enabled, with the associated rise in battery life.

Optimus and G-Sync are mutually exclusive at the moment, that's why you'll have a hard time finding gaming laptops with Optimus.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

eames posted:

Optimus and G-Sync are mutually exclusive at the moment, that's why you'll have a hard time finding gaming laptops with Optimus.

well that's a hell of a trade off isn't it

eames
May 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

well that's a hell of a trade off isn't it

I guess. I'm only in the market for a gaming laptop because my rMB is terrible at it (and will be in the foreseeable future). I don't want to clutter my house with an additional desk/computer for those couple of hours per week.
That laptop never gets unplugged and if there was an option to replace the battery with a larger heatsink or additional fans, I probably would go for that.
Guess how much I miss Optimus GPU switching. :eng101:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Iron Rose posted:

Thanks, like all my other posts have shown I'm way out of the loop here.

So, a few posts over the thread gave me the vibe that this might be a taboo question but really... VR that isn't terrible on laptops is now possible? Cuz all the advertisement for these new laptops seem to say it is, but I don't know if that just means they can do it but it's a lovely experience or if it's totally doable and no big thing anymore.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Thanks, like all my other posts have shown I'm way out of the loop here.

So, a few posts over the thread gave me the vibe that this might be a taboo question but really... VR that isn't terrible on laptops is now possible? Cuz all the advertisement for these new laptops seem to say it is, but I don't know if that just means they can do it but it's a lovely experience or if it's totally doable and no big thing anymore.

Eh, with a 1070 or 1080 you would have the horsepower for it I suppose, but I still feel VR is mostly a gimmick and will stay that way for a few years yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google Daydream/Cardboard level VR stuff ought to be possible on a laptop equipped with 10 series GPU.

Netflix, Hulu, Virtual Desktop type stuff? Totally.

Battlefield 4 or flight simulators, maybe? Future proofing your laptop against all VR stuff? Absolutely not.

I suspect most VR content over the next 2 years or so will be backwards compatible with Google Daydream (Android) VR, but yeah don't plan on being able to play AAA games in VR on your laptop.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Google Daydream/Cardboard level VR stuff ought to be possible on a laptop equipped with 10 series GPU.

Netflix, Hulu, Virtual Desktop type stuff? Totally.

Battlefield 4 or flight simulators, maybe? Future proofing your laptop against all VR stuff? Absolutely not.

I suspect most VR content over the next 2 years or so will be backwards compatible with Google Daydream (Android) VR, but yeah don't plan on being able to play AAA games in VR on your laptop.

So the expectation then should also be not being able to play AAA VR games on your GTX 1070 desktop in 2 years? The mobile GTX 1070 being a chip with more CUDA cores enabled than the desktop one is big news. Or do you just mean that thermal and output issues that laptops have are going to interfere, because I could see that too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thermal issues, but also mobile CPU lags behind desktop CPU pretty significantly. Skylake i7-6567u (very high end consumer laptop) vs 2010 era desktop CPU i7-2600k have single thread performance within margin of error (passmark 1919 vs 1921). Sandybridge is definitely below the minimum official spec of 2014/5 era Haswell i5 desktop CPU.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think VR is taking off guys. It's like how nobody cares about 3DTVs but they tried really hard to force it on people.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Thermal issues, but also mobile CPU lags behind desktop CPU pretty significantly. Skylake i7-6567u (very high end consumer laptop) vs 2010 era desktop CPU i7-2600k have single thread performance within margin of error (passmark 1919 vs 1921). Sandybridge is definitely below the minimum official spec of 2014/5 era Haswell i5 desktop CPU.

Gotcha. I've got an i7-4810MQ in my work laptop, and that's the only yardstick I've had for laptop CPU performance. That 4810 feels a hell of a lot like my moderately overclocked 2500K I have at home, but I'm now seeing that the 4810 is more like "the fastest laptop CPU made in history" and not the norm.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 17, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think VR is taking off guys. It's like how nobody cares about 3DTVs but they tried really hard to force it on people.

As someone that works from home 2 days a week and plays flight sims, I give zero fucks about widespread adoption, just that it works for my use cases. It's definitely not for everyone, but as a virtual office space from what I hear it's an excellent product.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
VR is hard, everyone is still learning and most companies suck at it. Go look at a smartphone app from 2010, they were terrible. That is basically were we are now with VR software. We need another five years to see the VR turns into smartphones aka the thing everyone has or tablets that flash in the pan that becomes a niche.

Virtual desktop looks sweet, I idea of a infinitely big monitoring sounds like a multitasking dream. Headsets fit inside a camera bag, that I ton easier to travel with than a monitor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But people are buying laptops now that are "VR Ready" hoping to be playing those hot VR games. The new Playstation and Xbox One aren't even coming out until next year. Then it will probably be another year before any good games are developed for those.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Any ausgoons able to recommend an office laptop for under $700, preferably cheaper? Mainly used for MS Office, MYOB, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

But people are buying laptops now that are "VR Ready" hoping to be playing those hot VR games.

I don't think people are, but that would be super cool!

Developers can barely afford bottom spec VR PCs (much gnashing of teeth has been happening over the fact that a bottom spec i7 VR dev machine costs about $1280, plus the $700 goggles = $2000 initial investment) as the other guy pointed out, this is a totally new medium, we haven't even figured out a way to walk around in VR besides teleportation that won't make the end user motion sick.

There aren't really any hot VR games yet, everyone is looking for that next Angry Birds, Flappy Bird or whatever.

So far the coolest demo I've seen/played was Budget Cuts (james bond vs. the robots) but a bunch of games have come out since. There's a major gap between this and something like Battlefield 4 which is 23 years of evolution of a genre. It will take 2-3 years for norms to be developed and developer costs to come down. You can program something like Super Meat Boy on a $200 thinkpad form 2010, but you need a $2000 desktop to build something in VR right now. Daydream (android phones) will bring the price down to ~$400 but it's still difficult to get in to right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHThIjNYkAo

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Well I posted before about the Dell XPS 13 vs the X1 Carbon, and due to battery life / USB-C / price, I think I'm going with the XPS.

I am still worried about the various issues with QC, though, and I'd like to be able to exchange one in a short period of time. Is the premium support (with the on-site visits and such) worth paying extra $ for, if I want quicker service/exchanges? Again, I've heard that the Microsoft Store sells XPSes, but I don't think they have the 256GB SSD + non-touch config I want.
I also would appreciate any tips for discounts through the Dell store (student discounts?); if I had settled on the X1 carbon, the B&N link in the OP would have been GODLY.

eames
May 9, 2009

May I suggest putting this link in the OP? It's always up to date and has very good information for people looking for a gaming laptop.

http://alteredqualia.com/texts/notebooks/

That being said I couldn't resist and ordered a G752VS on Amazon (not Amazon Marketplace) yesterday.
Something seemed wrong because it was a max-spec device (i7-6820HK, 32GB RAM, GTX1070, 120Hz screen, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD and bag+headset+mouse) priced lower than the naked model (<2000€).
Sure enough listing was gone a few hours after I ordered — clicking the link in the order confirmation gives me a 404. I fully expected it to get cancelled but to my surprise the laptop shipped today and I have a tracking number. Whether they actually shipped that version or the listing was just wrong and they sent me a lower spec is anybody's guess. :shobon:

I'm looking forward to try that humongous ugly desktop replacement, the GPU is all I care about.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This new dGPU stuff is very exciting! The difference in cores for the laptop 1070 strikes me as peculiar. I wonder if binning wasn't sufficient to get the performance right.

I wonder what the bandwidth difference between MXM and TB3 over a short cable is like, and whether a GPU can fully saturate it.

Looks like you can't over/under volt the laptop cards, per an LTT video from a day or two ago. So it looks like you get more control with an eGPU.

Long run, the eGPU solution still looks like the superior one, although you do pay a higher up front price (though replacing an MXM card is a pain in the dick and super expensive).

A lot of this looks like it'll come down to OEM offerings, too. It'll be awful if nobody sells an HQ/HK processor with TB3/eGPU capabilities and instead opt for just gaming laptops.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

Looks like you can't over/under volt the laptop cards, per an LTT video from a day or two ago. So it looks like you get more control with an eGPU.
Fiddling with laptop GPU voltage has never been possible without custom VBIOS. Thankfully there are people that create custom BIOS'es for variety of laptop models so voltage control is easy to enable.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
poo poo, I'm dying just to be able to set a custom fan curve here and y'all are talking about changing voltages.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Don't the full fat 980s allow for custom fan curves? I haven't checked if my 970M does.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I have literally never known anyone to actually replace a MXM dGPU and they are extraordinarily expensive to buy. There's also no guarantee they won't melt the gently caress outta your computer if the TDP is greater, to say nothing about the host of other compatibility problems you might have.

It's a nonissue basically. It's just not a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eames posted:

May I suggest putting this link in the OP? It's always up to date and has very good information for people looking for a gaming laptop.

http://alteredqualia.com/texts/notebooks/

That looks useful, what's the background on it?