Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This game definitely feels like a followup to OG2, in that alien assholes in endgame-tier units will regularly crash early and mid stages, make a mess, and then peace out at 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

This game definitely feels like a followup to OG2, in that alien assholes in endgame-tier units will regularly crash early and mid stages, make a mess, and then peace out at 30k.

The major difference here being that you have Maximum Break; :getin:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel dumb that, just about 40 missions in, I have yet to use Maximum Break once. Or even understand it.

The tutorial was... Not particularly articulate on the subject, to be fair.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel dumb that, just about 40 missions in, I have yet to use Maximum Break once. Or even understand it.

Two squads next to each other, all on the same plane (all in the air, all on the ground, etc), havent used their turn, and all need 140+ Will. People with MB activiate skill (Squad leaders like Irm, Katina, Kai, Viletta, Kyosuke have it natively) when attacking, can use "Maximum Break" instead of "Focus Attack"

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Here's the summarized version:

1) Get a unit with the MB skill as the lead of a Twin
2) Park said Twin next to another Twin, same plane
3) All four units got an F-weapon equipped? Are they in range?
4) Do they have 140 morale?
5) Have the person with the skill start an attack, using a non-ALL weapon, and MB will be usable

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 16, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The extra 5-10k damage is very useful for retreating bosses but I find it very impractical to set up during all-out fights. I honestly wouldn't spend 400 PP on MB, especially with skill slots limited as they are.

Rascyc posted:

Played a bunch of English MD last night. Lot of fun. I can understand about 80% of what's going on which is an improvement over the 10% using friend's cliffnotes. The parts I struggle to understand are usually when the political plots come up and those filler hard sci-fi segments like warp routes and military doctrine (I'm amazed how many of these there are).

Best discovery so far is that Unison twin ability seems to last all stage as long as you don't split. Was it always like this??? Gonna use Russel for the first time ever.

AP seems overly plentiful. I'm up to like 11 movement blocks in the first 10 stages.

Only SR point I struggled with so far was the kill 14 units and land all your units within five turns.

Unison was buffed in OG2nd to last all stage and it went from a cute trick to Aquarion levels of exploitable. Had I realized it before stage 30 or so, I'd have dumped the PP of applicable pilots on stats.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

GimmickMan posted:

The extra 5-10k damage is very useful for retreating bosses but I find it very impractical to set up during all-out fights. I honestly wouldn't spend 400 PP on MB, especially with skill slots limited as they are.

Unison was buffed in OG2nd to last all stage and it went from a cute trick to Aquarion levels of exploitable. Had I realized it before stage 30 or so, I'd have dumped the PP of applicable pilots on stats.

Maximum Break also removes damage penalties, so it's always going to do more damage than support attacks/attacks from a sub unit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Brunom1 posted:

Here's the summarized version:

1) Get a unit with the MB skill as the lead of a Twin
2) Park said Twin next to another Twin, same plane
3) All four units got an F-weapon equipped? Are they in range?
4) Do they have 140 morale?
5) Have the person with the skill start an attack, using a non-ALL weapon, and MB will be usable

Note that it also costs will to use, unless the pilot starting the attack is an aced Aya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

Maximum Break also removes damage penalties, so it's always going to do more damage than support attacks/attacks from a sub unit.

Yeah, Maximum Break will always do more damage than a twinned/supported combo attack in every situation even ignoring the initial bonus damage.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

Note that it also costs will to use, unless the pilot starting the attack is an aced Aya.

Specifically, all four units lose 10 will.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

KoB posted:

Specifically, all four units lose 10 will.

Is this before or after any Will Gains as a result of the attack itself? SO you'd end up with like, 131-132 if you did it at 140?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, another question about PP - for a semi-locked subpilot like Shoko, is there any reason to grab any skills that aren't directly related to just using spirits? Or do the other relevant skills carry over to the combined mech? I assume only the main pilot's skills are applied, but can't hurt to ask.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, another question about PP - for a semi-locked subpilot like Shoko, is there any reason to grab any skills that aren't directly related to just using spirits? Or do the other relevant skills carry over to the combined mech? I assume only the main pilot's skills are applied, but can't hurt to ask.

The G-Thunder Gate DOES have a MAPW so if you grab her Continuous Action, you can have her pop out, MAPW some stuff and kill at least one. Chain that until you're happy and have Kouta bring her back in.

Other than that, I'd just grab SP Ups.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 17, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

The G-Thunder Gate DOES have a MAPW so if you grab her Continuous Action, you can have her pop out, MAPW some stuff and kill at least one.

Other than that, I'd just grab SP Ups.

You can do this anyway, any combined unit at any time only uses the active status of the main pilot. You can use the actions of the Vegalion, G Thunder Gate, G-Bison, and RyuOhKi/KoOhKi for free and then recombine them. (This is also why the 2x Formation R into HTB Cannon trick has worked since way back when.)

I believe, actually, that if you divide your ChoKiJin, act with the secondary, recombine, and then flip them, it actually spends the unit's turn (since that pilot has acted and they now can't transform back).

e: beaten I think

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
drat all these telekinesis requirements on so many attacks.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Maximum Breaks are insanely powerful and are pretty much Continuous Action level of turn efficiency but for bosses instead of grunt clearing.

Hokuto posted:

I've been doing some research on this lately, so it's lesson time! Irm's attacks are taken from Nine Star Astrology, which adopts some principles of feng shui. Honmeisatsu (本命殺) is one of the directions of misfortune that you want to avoid going in, in this case because it represents killing (殺) your heart's desire (本命), ie, it will lead to the undoing of whatever it is that you want the most. Ankensatsu, or "dark sword killing" (暗剣殺) represents a sword stabbing out at you from the shadows, ie, misfortune striking you in an unexpected way. I think Shungokuken (瞬獄剣) has a similar origin but I'm not sure off the top of my head?

The thing about Nine Star Astrology is that I'm pretty sure it came from Hindu, then got shipped to Chinese, then got shipped to Japanese. I would really like to find out if these direction names have equivalents in the original Hindu version of the astrology, but so far I haven't had any luck there.

Something I DID find a Hindu equivalent of was Keito-Rago Ken (計都羅黑剣), which literally translates to Ketu-Rahu Sword. This is brought up in OG2 in a discussion after Ryukooh brings up 羅黑神 (The god Rahu) in its initial warnings to its pilots, and the conversation turns to Irm's attack names. Ketu and Rahu represent the twin stars of misfortune in Nine Star Astrology.

Hell yes, thank you for this lesson!

Caphi posted:

I believe, actually, that if you divide your ChoKiJin, act with the secondary, recombine, and then flip them, it actually spends the unit's turn (since that pilot has acted and they now can't transform back).

I think it doesn't let you transform. I had this happen the other day. I did Dragon stuff, recombined and thought I was really clever and then couldn't transform and was too far away for Tiger to do anything.

I've been doing Beginner Mode because I wanted to see their attempt at that sort of thing and scenario 39 is apparently only half of the regular version of the stage. Attack Crystal Dragoon twice for the SR point, ghosties show up, kill 3 of them they leave. The end. I'm guessing from akurasu having requirements about getting the battleships to a point that there's meant to be more steps to it than that. Geez though, what a waste of time. I got like 27k money from it and 20k of that was the SR point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Maximum Breaks are insanely powerful and are pretty much Continuous Action level of turn efficiency but for bosses instead of grunt clearing.

Hell yes, thank you for this lesson!

I think it doesn't let you transform. I had this happen the other day. I did Dragon stuff, recombined and thought I was really clever and then couldn't transform and was too far away for Tiger to do anything.

I've been doing Beginner Mode because I wanted to see their attempt at that sort of thing and scenario 39 is apparently only half of the regular version of the stage. Attack Crystal Dragoon twice for the SR point, ghosties show up, kill 3 of them they leave. The end. I'm guessing from akurasu having requirements about getting the battleships to a point that there's meant to be more steps to it than that. Geez though, what a waste of time. I got like 27k money from it and 20k of that was the SR point.

That stage is a waste even in the regular level if it's the one I'm thinking of.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've been including people with Cooperative Attack in my Maximum Breaks all along because I did not know it was auto included in the MB. :downs:

Okay so let's see if I got what MBs do right now once and for all:

* 100% hit rate on all four attacks.
* Bonus damage using the F weapons as a combined attack of sorts.
* Support attackers do full damage as if they had cooperative attack.
* Support attackers get their shots in before the target counters.
* Reduces the four unit's morale by 10 afterwards.

Is that everything?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't think the attacks automatically hit. Though I think they might pass barriers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I don't think the attacks automatically hit. Though I think they might pass barriers.

Yes, Maximum Break attacks can miss.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Good to know. While we're at it, am I correct in thinking direct attack ( and combination attacks/MBs) bypass support defend, status immunity and barriers/bunshin but not other bonuses?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GimmickMan posted:

I've been including people with Cooperative Attack in my Maximum Breaks all along because I did not know it was auto included in the MB. :downs:

Okay so let's see if I got what MBs do right now once and for all:
Is that everything?

The support attackers don't need support attack to be engaged in the MB either. I think it of it more as forcing an adjacent unit to attack for 10 will without using their turn.

Direct Attack/Smite/Fury whatever you want to call it doesn't ignore bunshin (Strike does though) or Lucky. It ignores all that other stuff though AND I think it ignores Guard and Prevail too. I might just be dreaming that bit though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Quick question: I've got Sanger and Kyosuke together, and Sanger's got the Melee Up buff while Kyosuke has the Ammo buff. Does Kyosuke get +10% if he uses a weapon that's both Melee and has an Ammo count?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've done a wicked thing today. I gave in to temptation and...used an infinite money cheat in SRW3.

I'm a bad person and not a proper Super Robot Warrior. :smithicide:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

I've done a wicked thing today. I gave in to temptation and...used an infinite money cheat in SRW3.

The SNES game?

Playing that game is a bigger sin than cheating at it, and I say that as someone who's beaten it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, the SNES game. I've tried to beat it like 3 or 4 times now, but have never seen it all the way through.

I just can't drop it for whatever reason, so I'm determined to see it all the way through...just, with infinite funds.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Quick question: I've got Sanger and Kyosuke together, and Sanger's got the Melee Up buff while Kyosuke has the Ammo buff. Does Kyosuke get +10% if he uses a weapon that's both Melee and has an Ammo count?

Yeah. Ability bonuses are shared between units if they're twinned together.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Raxivace posted:

You are a SRW3 Master.

/injoke 99% of the people in this thread won't get

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

F and F Final are the only classic SRW games I can stand.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

BlitzBlast posted:

You are a SRW3 Master.

/injoke 99% of the people in this thread won't get

I made it to the dark brain stage in gaiden before throwing my gameshark into the ps2 ascending to an og master on my original run.

I regret nothing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I missed something regarding Josh. I guess I'll start spoiling since I'm like 12 stages in now:

Why's he resistant to Run/Glacis coming along for the ride and what does Kai not know about the ruinea ruins that Gilliam/Viletta know? That it was sabotaged or something?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryoga posted:

I made it to the dark brain stage in gaiden before throwing my gameshark into the ps2 ascending to an og master on my original run.

I regret nothing.

I'm very retroactively proud of you. :911:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I missed something regarding Josh. I guess I'll start spoiling since I'm like 12 stages in now:

Why's he resistant to Run/Glacis coming along for the ride and what does Kai not know about the ruinea ruins that Gilliam/Viletta know? That it was sabotaged or something?

Glacias is dying of plot cancer and has only a short while to live. Rim got badly injured (sort of) in the end of the D plot and the Chris part of her personality died. I don't really remember the second thing you mentioned.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Glacias is dying of plot cancer

Man, I knew SRW was missing an anime trope still. Good thing Moon Dwellers has us covered.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

OG now has sad girls in snow.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Arriere also has a case of the plot cancer. At the start of the game it is mentioned that she is hibernating to extend her life while they look for a cure.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ethiser posted:

Arriere also has a case of the plot cancer. At the start of the game it is mentioned that she is hibernating to extend her life while they look for a cure.
It took me forever to realize who everyone was talking about in the game when they used this name.

I'm pleasantly surprised most of the names came out pretty intact.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rascyc posted:

It took me forever to realize who everyone was talking about in the game when they used this name.

Yeah, their names are Arriere and Devant. "Rear" and "Front" in French.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Ethiser posted:

I'm positive one of the conversations I sped past at the end of the game indicated that obviously she isn't going to kick the bucket because the egghead scientists in SRW who never have bad ideas that turn out badly were using physical data from Aschen to figure out a way to fix her anime cancer, which could be extended to Glacies as well? Or something????

But by that point I was kind of bleary so maybe I totally misread what was going on :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Rascyc posted:

This isn't really spoilers, it was part of D's ending in 2nd OGs so you're kind of expected to know it going in.

The big reveal plotwise for D was that the Sympathia was Bad poo poo. The more you use it, the more your mind is lost, the more you turn into a Melior Esse, and the more you call out for Perfectio. This is why Rim (a proto Melior Esse) was born, and why Josh and Rim were able to connect to Glacies and Ventus. Part of the reason Josh was so insistent on Rim not piloting in 2nd OGs is because he was pretty sure Sympathia was bad news, and getting confirmation directly from the horse's mouth sealed the deal. He does not want Rim anywhere near the Forte Gigas/Blanche Neige ever again, and you kinda can't blame him since she's much farther along on the "turning into Perfectio's puppet" scale than he is.

Meanwhile with Glacies, since Perfectio hosed off she has three years tops to live. If she uses her powers, she gets even less. She has to use her powers to pilot the Fabularis. You can kinda see why Josh doesn't want her piloting either.

Mind you, Josh isn't immune to the effects of the Sympathia either. None of the D crew should even be touching the Sympathia, and in fact it's pretty silly that they just hop right into their mechs after the R originals decided to seal away their relatively much less dangerous plot device. It's also kinda hosed up that Kai gets ordered to effectively ask the D originals to commit slow suicide, and even more hosed up that nobody seems to really care.

EDIT: As for the other thing, it might be referencing another part of the ending where Gilliam and Villeta admit that as dangerous as the Sympathia is, it's still the Earth's only weapon against Perfectio so they're just going to be sealed away instead of destroyed.

EDIT 2: Wait, no, mixed up Rim and Chris' names. :downs:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread