Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

That's true. But car crashes are wildly more frequent than plane crashes. An individual car crash is less likely to be fatal, and the death count in a fatal car crash is naturally going to be much lower, but there are so so many orders of magnitude more car crashes than aviation crashes that, on aggregate, death by car crash is much, much more likely than death by plane crash.

Like, the grand total number of aviation "incidents" (crashes where the plane was removed from service) in the entire world in all of 2015 was 121. Fatality total: 898.

Compare this to the number of fatalities in car crashes just in Illinois in 2015: 998.

Yeah but plane crashes are just more dramatic than car crashes so people are more likely to remember hearing about them, and thus believe they're more common than they actually are. The same reason people are afraid of terrorist attacks, really.

Also as you said, people are more likely to die in any individual plane crash than any individual car crash, and people are bad at thinking about overall statistical trends so they just compare individual examples in their head and conclude that plane crashes are more dangerous because they're more deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

:magical:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh my god, that's glorious. I've played some 200 hours of FTL and I still can't make head nor tail of that.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Aug 15, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Comfortably Numb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Crossposting from D&D because occasionally the world needs reminding how loving stupid Imperial measurements are. With bonus old British currency.

Fake edit - that said, people who use decametres and hectometres also deserve derision.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Aug 14, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Finally. Now I can bring Kabbalah into the kitchen.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

What's the red one?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jeebus bob posted:

What's the red one?

You mean Canada? It's on its side so north is pointing left.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I find most of this awesome. But what are the plus signs? And why does it say 1 tspn is 1/3 cup? And 2 tspn is 2/3 cup? What am I missing?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I find most of this awesome. But what are the plus signs? And why does it say 1 tspn is 1/3 cup? And 2 tspn is 2/3 cup? What am I missing?

The plus means you need both combined. 1/3 a cup is 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon. I also don't find that chart to be bad, sure the measurement system behind it sucks, but thats not the charts fault.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
16tbsp = 1 cup
1/3 cup = 5+1/3 tbsp
1/3 tbsp = 1 tsp

For the record imperial is dumb, and the chart doesn't even mention if it's using "real"american imperial or the metric-imperial where 1tbsp is exactly 15ml

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Xenoborg posted:

The plus means you need both combined. 1/3 a cup is 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon. I also don't find that chart to be bad, sure the measurement system behind it sucks, but thats not the charts fault.

Wow, that's awkward as gently caress. If I didn't have a 1/3 cup measuring device in the kitchen, I sure as gently caress wouldn't measure out 5 big spoons and 1 little spoon. I'd fill up 1 cup a third of the way and call it done (unless it was a super dangerous meth recipe).

For those of you who like the chart and aren't going to print it out and scotch tape it to the inside of your spice cabinet, you can buy a "removable" cabinet sticker for $50: https://shannon-lattin.squarespace.com/how-many-guide/

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fake edit - that said, people who use decametres and hectometres also deserve derision.
:agreed:

And also:

https://youtu.be/r7x-RGfd0Yk

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Platystemon posted:

Man tells a racist joke: man is an undeniable racist

Man kills POC: “Maybe they had it coming. :downs:

The general public backlash seems to support this.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

It's not often that a see a graph that is completely indecipherable but there it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can read that graph, but it takes way more effort than bar charts or line graphs would (to make, too). :psyduck:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Carefully cut out the halves and tape them together into a circle, then poke two holes through the middle and thread a string through. Knot the string into a loop and twist it on both sides of the disc. Now pull the string and watch the spinning disc, and you will see the seven faces of Zithrak, The One Who Sleeps In The Space Between.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I can't read

zakharov has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Aug 15, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Two posts above, dude.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i used to know how to play this game, what the heck

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
How sad it is that I find it impressive that the percentages add up to 100 in that zika graphic.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

FuhrerHat posted:

i used to know how to play this game, what the heck

Someone shoulda told the creator that a graph doesn't need to show everything

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

i... what... huh?
:psyduck:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Red Metal posted:

i... what... huh?
:psyduck:

I frequently need to compare things like Doctor, Man, Mexican and Germany by how many tens of thousands of percent of the population they are (organized by Race).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ahahaha poo poo i'm in tears

Even correcting the Y axis label to "Dollars" and eliminating the X axis because it's not needed, this is still hilariously hosed.

Does England pay non-doctors more than Doctors earn?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

OK, that doctors one is hilarious, but with that at least I can attempt to tell what they're getting at.

This one though...I...what on earth is even going on?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
As far as I can tell, X-axis is agreement with the statement about repatriation of blacks restoring free speech, and comparing responses to that question with whether race mixing is bad.

Sort responses alphabetically instead of by degree, use inappropriate bar graphs, and season to taste of insanity.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is the Repatriation question some sort of white supremacist dog whistle? Like are they seriously asking if people think politicians would really say what they mean, if only we could pack the blacks back to Africa?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

PittTheElder posted:

Is the Repatriation question some sort of white supremacist dog whistle? Like are they seriously asking if people think politicians would really say what they mean, if only we could pack the blacks back to Africa?

If your follow up question is "is race mixing a sin?" that's not a very high frequency dog whistle.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

If your follow up question is "is race mixing a sin?" that's not a very high frequency dog whistle.

More of a foghorn than a dogwhistle.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

PittTheElder posted:

poo poo. I thought it said "reparations". Now I'm disappointed.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

poo poo. I thought it said "reparations". Now I'm disappointed.

Me too! And more confused as well.

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Nobody mentioned it, but my favorite thing about the US priests graph is the data point from 2025.

PittTheElder posted:

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

What software did they make these in? The low level of aliasing and the weird colour scheme makes me feel like this a weird parody, say from kkk-boardroom-1989.tumblr.com

Build Your Own Boat
Sep 11, 2006

Drink this

Now you're like me.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that Iowa is a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But look at the R squared!