Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nah, mission accomplished. They just wanted to show that Itanium wasn't that bad in comparison to this debacle.

edit, someone post a cat or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Achamp posted:

Are we still...?

I know I am

:wink:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"AMDfan42"

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Pretty sure Intel is the new hotness at CIG.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

No, for real.

How the gently caress do you program a console app for Windows in such a way that it fails catastrophically if the console font is set “too large”?!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Flarpy posted:

This all seems so cheap and lame that I must wonder if they're frantically digging their escape tunnel in the secret Robert Space Industries "press room".
Someone keep an eye out for Chris sneaking out every half an hour to trickle dirt from his pants leg in the car park.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Tippis posted:

No, for real.

How the gently caress do you program a console app for Windows in such a way that it fails catastrophically if the console font is set “too large”?!

are you admitting you don't understand this development??

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nation posted:

are you admitting you don't understand this development??

I admit to not understanding “this”.
I refuse to call it “development”.

I am genuinely shocked that they even managed to make such a thing happen.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Tippis posted:

No, for real.

This is just another example of how groundbreaking and truly revolutionary Star Citizen is.

No other developer has ever done this before!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
For tomorrow can you guys watching the stream post more pictures?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

thatguy posted:

Of what? Fat bearded nerdy dudes hanging around the CIG booth?

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Tippis posted:

No, for real.

Yeah, I have no idea. It must require doing something ridiculously pointless.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Star Citizen: come watch a tickling time-bomb

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

Theres....other......more explicit things than the tickle videos that Derek et al doesn't want to post.

Well go on then, this isn't twitter, post those explicit things already

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Flarpy posted:

Yeah, I have no idea. It must require doing something ridiculously pointless.

my guess is that since the console app has an asci picture they added, to make the picture "look right" they had to play with default fonts

that causes client side issues with standard default font size on the user end

im talking out of my rear end

but somehow, i know im right

i just fixed it for you cig

delete your stupid asci pic so as not to force out new players

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Madcosby posted:

They make millions a month from the same fanbase each month. They dont need new people, they can drain the old

That's what I'm saying. This whole thing is a smoke screen for the backers they're milking. Nobody at Gamescom is impressed by this shitshow. This show isn't for new customers. It's only because if they don't show up and do their little song and dance, then their cash cow will dry up faster than Donovan at the end of The Last Crusade.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

thatguy posted:

Of black screens?

Just a reminder: CIG's preparation for the five days of streaming is so bad today they literally had only two working headsets, one of which was fused to Jared, so the streamers had to lend theirs whenever somebody from the studio came to say hi.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Of black screens?

Just a reminder: CIG's preparation for the five days of streaming is so bad today they literally had only two working headsets, one of which was fused to Jared, so the streamers had to lend theirs whenever somebody from the studio came to say hi.

And one of their cameras was taped to the wall.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with Elite is that you know what you're going to get, but what you're going to get sucks unless you're a very specific type of sperg. The one thing that Elite lacks more than anything else is player agency. You can't really do anything or influence anyone significant. The entire org game is based around manipulating a background simulation so that factions which you have no real allegiance to take over systems you have no influence in. This is intentional, but unfortunately it's also not terribly accessible. It takes all of the drudgery of EVE while leaving out the reward of actually accomplishing anything aside from manipulating a few numbers.

Star Citizen promises the utmost in agency. The game is marketed as a personal narrative, something that the player can be immersed in and create their own story. That's one of the reasons that the dream of the game is so compelling; it's precisely what many gamers have been wanting for years. The sheer magnitude of his original pitch is combined with an intentionally vague communication approach that encourages backers to fill in the blanks and shovel truckloads of cash. Unfortunately Chris is simply not capable of leading this project and the same attitude that lets him conceive and initialize a game like this also makes it impossible for him to actually produce it.

What Braben lacks in grandeur Roberts lacks in competence.

Their latest community events are pushing people into an emerging new civilization bubble and an insider claimed that the point was to have a player run bubble a big distance from npc space. Now nothings been confirmed yet but it was supposed to be mentioned in this gamescom. Engineers was basically a huge change to how you could individualize your ship and a poo poo ton of equipment doesn't make sense unless you plan to pvp (Warp stall mines, shells that push people off course making orientating yourself to jump harder)

They need to add a whole lot more ways for people to communicate, make organizations, etc and they are apparently working on it.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Tippis posted:

No, for real.

This is honestly the thing today from CiG that I'm most impressed by, Gamescom and all.

I'd guess at some bizarrely hardcoded values somewhere?

Madcosby posted:

my guess is that since the console app has an asci picture they added, to make the picture "look right" they had to play with default fonts

im talking out of my rear end

but somehow, i know im right

i just fixed it for you cig

delete your stupid asci pic so as not to force out new players

Oh yeah, this is a good guess.

Zakutambah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 17, 2016

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

his nibs posted:

I know I am

:wink:

The guy just seemed like he wanted to be tickled. What's wrong with that? Four grown men into tickling while another man films.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Of black screens?

Want to bet that they didn't actually bring any headsets because they didn't think of it and that, aside from Lando who knew this and brought his own, everyone made the sensible (and therefore incorrect) assumption that CIG would provide some?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well that sucks, the video is now private.

I'm an idiot move on please

his nibs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 17, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I guess I'm a pessimist for seeing the presentation as 95% empty, good thing this guy is Optimistic enough to see it as a unicorn farting rainbows 5% full

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

"The Faithful"

God drat, this isn't a scam after all, is it? If they were looking to collect millions from credulous nerds and then vanish, they wouldn't go to all this trouble and expense. If it were me, I'd just pay some artists to make some gorgeous pre-rendered footage, pay a shill streamer to show it, and coast on promises.

Based on the day 1 stream... I think Chris really blindly believes in the project, and everyone is too cowed to tell the emperor his dick is out.

Which is the true tragedy here. I've seen the same pattern with bitcoin and jonestown and MRAs and Islamic State.

There's not too much mental disconnect between a suicide bomber, someone who lost his kids' college fund to a bitcoin ponzi, and that farmer who was like "Well I know StarCit might destroy me but :shrug:"

This... is becoming profoundly sad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I guess I'm a pessimist for seeing the presentation as 95% empty, good thing this guy is Optimistic enough to see it as a unicorn farting rainbows 5% full

I wonder if he will change his name to "Intelfan42".

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's a goon

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Skippy Granola posted:

"The Faithful"

God drat, this isn't a scam after all, is it? If they were looking to collect millions from credulous nerds and then vanish, they wouldn't go to all this trouble and expense. If it were me, I'd just pay some artists to make some gorgeous pre-rendered footage, pay a shill streamer to show it, and coast on promises.

Based on the day 1 stream... I think Chris really blindly believes in the project, and everyone is too cowed to tell the emperor his dick is out.

Which is the true tragedy here. I've seen the same pattern with bitcoin and jonestown and MRAs and Islamic State.

There's not too much mental disconnect between a suicide bomber, someone who lost his kids' college fund to a bitcoin ponzi, and that farmer who was like "Well I know StarCit might destroy me but :shrug:"

This... is becoming profoundly sad.

Spoiler: a goon posted that

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Wafflz posted:

That's a goon

Oh thank God for that. Depressive rant cheerfully withdrawn

You clever goons

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wafflz posted:

That's a goon

It's me

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Madcosby posted:

Yeah, that is probably it. Pointless indeed, like are they razor 1911?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D1E posted:

Of what? Fat bearded nerdy dudes hanging around the CIG booth?
Sure.

SelenicMartian posted:

Of black screens?
Sure, maybe reactions?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 17, 2016

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Star Citizen: Sunk Cost Galaxy is still the best title that's ever been suggested in this thread.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Flarpy posted:

Yeah, that is probably it. Pointless indeed, like are they razor 1911?

No. The razor guys knew how to use a debugger.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Maybe they're trying a new approach where everything is so boring that we don't have anything to make fun of.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Give the man figure a feather.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Barn Folk posted:

So what is the ratio of money spent on this show to how much money it is bringing in? I imagine that a normal game would spend money to advertise at Gamescom to bring in even more money down the line.

Cig's showing is completely unimpressive. They have to be spending a whole lot of money to drum up a minimal amount of interest and sales. They're probably losing money on this con because not showing up would speed up the death spiral even more.

Normal game companies use events as a way to access the media and the public, either showcasing upcoming projects (Call of Duty) or reinvigorating interest in existing IP (Overwatch). The entire point is to connect people with stakeholders and get the right eyeballs on the product. That drums up interest resulting in media exposure, articles, and from an industry perspective connections. At this point you're putting yourself in direct competition with everyone else, and usually the interest is on the product and not the pitch.

Oh hey Elite is doing a stream as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Give the man figure a feather.

• Locked thread