Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

chitoryu12 posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I got into an argument about it with someone. What happened is that she was in an abusive relationship before, and she admitted to lashing out and yelling at her boyfriend when she got too tired of his lovely behavior. What this means is that she now sees herself in Lapis and directly compares her own abusive relationship to Lapis and Jasper. She got extremely offended at any suggestion that her interpretation might be incorrect, and outright said that it's because she feels that questioning her interpretation of the fictional fusion is also questioning her own past, and engaging in victim blaming against her personally.

no one on the writing team knows her so it's her problem, imo. Her situation sounds bad but it also sounds like she's a little too invested in pretending she is a cartoon rock person.

I kind of have a problem with progressives reducing things to black and white conflict all the time, because it's then used to bully people over silly things like which ships they like and how they draw fanart or if they make a problematic joke because they are still being ideologically impure and thus the black part of the black and white conflict, something just as serious as actual activism issues, and it somehow doesn't matter that they're either antagonizing their own allies or looking like too much pointless drama to deal with and turning away potential other allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Bongo Bill posted:

Less important than whether she did anything wrong is the fact that she thinks that many of the things she did were wrong.

I do think that makes a fair bit of difference. Jasper thinks she's in the right with what she's doing, which makes it a bit worse.

Honestly, all of the gems have probably killed a lot of people, unintentionally or otherwise, of the course of 5000 years or so.

Kwyndig posted:

Can't wait for Jasper's redemption arc so she can be big orange Nappa to Peridot's tiny green Vegeta again. In this example, Lapis is Piccolo.

I hope Jasper is redeemed and all, but I really doubt she's someone that would join the CGs. If push came to shove, and she was threatened directly by Yellow Diamond or something, I can see her joining in and "enemy of my enemy" type of thing, but never really fully joining.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I do think that makes a fair bit of difference. Jasper thinks she's in the right with what she's doing, which makes it a bit worse.

Honestly, all of the gems have probably killed a lot of people, unintentionally or otherwise, of the course of 5000 years or so.

I hope Jasper is redeemed and all, but I really doubt she's someone that would join the CGs. If push came to shove, and she was threatened directly by Yellow Diamond or something, I can see her joining in and "enemy of my enemy" type of thing, but never really fully joining.

She'd be Vegeta then

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Probably would've been better to do this for Yellow Diamond but it's relevant now so here it is

I silently pray for Jasperdemption

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Acne Rain posted:

no one on the writing team knows her so it's her problem, imo. Her situation sounds bad but it also sounds like she's a little too invested in pretending she is a cartoon rock person.

More like, people telling women that they are equally to blame when they abused is a thing that happens literally always every time women talk about being abused and anime nerds telling women how they shouldn't relate to some situation in a cartoon because clearly lapis is the villain too because she was bitchy and said mean things and thus deserved physical abuse might not come off well.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

More like, people telling women that they are equally to blame when they abused is a thing that happens literally always every time women talk about being abused and anime nerds telling women how they shouldn't relate to some situation in a cartoon because clearly lapis is the villain too because she was bitchy and said mean things and thus deserved physical abuse might not come off well.

what comes off not well is this really terrible post that's just exacerbating things and reducing other people's points to 'lapis was mean and deserved abuse' which absolutely no one in this thread has said

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MrSlam posted:

edit: nevermind, turns out my joke wasn't related to anything in the thread, which I guess is par for the course for me

How is Steven Universe fairing overseas? Anyone have numbers or impressions for that?

I've seen a lot of fan art in Chinese and Japanese, one of the fastest uploaders of new episodes is en espanol but I have no hard numbers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Brother Entropy posted:

what comes off not well is this really terrible post that's just exacerbating things and reducing other people's points to 'lapis was mean and deserved abuse' which absolutely no one in this thread has said

What has lapis done exactly that was terrible?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Okay I was going to stay out of this whole conversation, but these kind of bullshit statements really piss me off so here's my take:

I've been in abusive relationships, and I identify with Jasper because even though I hated the situation and had no control over it I still hated the idea of leaving because if I did I would be totally powerless with no way to take care of myself.

That's my experience, and that's how it effects the way I view cartoons.

Some other people have had different experiences that cause them to identify more with Lapis, and that's fine. Abusive relationships, and life in general, are highly complicated and personal.

What isn't fine is poo poo like this, poo poo where you tell all women everywhere how they should feel about something because obviously you know best. You're not helping, you're just being a pretentious self righteous douche.

Say whatever you want about cartoon characters, you wanna talk poo poo about Jasper? Fine. Ya wanna talk poo poo about Lapis? Do it. But don't pretend your feelings about fictional characters makes you some kind of an expert on the lives of abuse victums.

rear end in a top hat.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 17, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What has lapis done exactly that was terrible?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lapis drowned Louisiana (or whatever the gently caress it's called in the Steven universe) again.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Lapis broke Peridot's recorder. It was really mean, It meant a lot to her. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tollymain posted:

see also people who unironically say "bismuth did nothing wrong"

Oh, god, don't get them started. There are people calling for a boycott of the show saying she's a racist caricature.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

New episodes aren't going to leak every day anymore are they?

Just waiting to hear those three little words: "Mindful Education leaked"

Cartoon Network will ask, :saddowns: "Where's the leaker? We saved a bomb for him." But they won't see him because they returned to normal programming. And then they'll release it simultaneously on all platforms on schedule. And then the leaker will die.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 17, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am curious as to how non-English V.A.s for Pearl do all her weird non-verbal utterances.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Samovar posted:

I am curious as to how non-English V.A.s for Pearl do all her weird non-verbal utterances.

I tried but the closest I got was peridot noises in espanol and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI0Fymg0Wu0

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I tried but the closest I got was peridot noises in espanol and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI0Fymg0Wu0

RareAcumen posted:

You think that's bad I bet they're doing the same thing but as ponies too!

Not ponies, but here's a little something fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJjS0TJNLus

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay I was going to stay out of this whole conversation, but these kind of bullshit statements really piss me off so here's my take:

I've been in abusive relationships, and I identify with Jasper because even though I hated the situation and had no control over it I still hated the idea of leaving because if I did I would be totally powerless with no way to take care of myself.

That's my experience, and that's how it effects the way I view cartoons.

Some other people have had different experiences that cause them to identify more with Lapis, and that's fine. Abusive relationships, and life in general, are highly complicated and personal.

What isn't fine is poo poo like this, poo poo where you tell all women everywhere how they should feel about something because obviously you know best. You're not helping, you're just being a pretentious self righteous douche.

Say whatever you want about cartoon characters, you wanna talk poo poo about Jasper? Fine. Ya wanna talk poo poo about Lapis? Do it. But don't pretend your feelings about fictional characters makes you some kind of an expert on the lives of abuse victums.

rear end in a top hat.

Using your abuse as justification for your interpretation of characters in a cartoon so nobody can discuss it unless they agree with you is bad social interaction and shuts down the dialog on abuse, which isn't cool. If people are actively seeking out this person who refuses to discuss it though, that's not cool on them.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SpacePig posted:

concept: crystal gems having a picnic. jasper leans against a tree in the distance, arms folded, eyes closed in concentration

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Raserys posted:

concept: crystal gems having a picnic. jasper leans against a tree in the distance, arms folded, eyes closed in concentration

while chewing on a toothpick. "Like I would want to join their wimpy little club anyway, losers..." then she combs her pompadour and climbs on her customized motorcycle giving one final "Tch" before driving off

edit: needs more anime

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Raserys posted:

And then She notices Steven standing there trying to give her something to eat, she snorts and angrily takes it turning her back to him. As he walks away she smiles! :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's hecka neat that Jasper is always "the dude" when we talk about anything, probably because she has big arms .

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Raserys posted:

Buckets posted:

And then She notices Steven standing there trying to give her something to eat, she snorts and angrily takes it turning her back to him. As he walks away she smiles! :swoon:

No, she never smiles. She "grudgingly" eats some sandwiches, cleans up after herself, and throws a plate back at Steven. The plate has "thanks" scrawled on it, and by the time he turns to say "You're welcome", she's gone.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Pyrotoad posted:

Has the Lion Teleportation noise always had that same weird noise as the Diamond themes? :catstare:

It did in "It Could've Been Great". The first and last shot that we see of the inside of the portal is also diamond-shaped :tinfoil:

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 17, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After final battle, Lapis and Jasper sit on a small ice flow in the middle of the ocean:

Lapis: Is it over?
Jasper: Not until the fish jumps.

*fish jumps*

Jasper: It's over.

Cut to credits.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
yellow diamond has completely defeated our heroes, she picks up steven, prepared to finish him off, when suddenly a spin dash barrels in to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Using your abuse as justification for your interpretation of characters in a cartoon so nobody can discuss it unless they agree with you is bad social interaction and shuts down the dialog on abuse, which isn't cool. If people are actively seeking out this person who refuses to discuss it though, that's not cool on them.

If I were in a conversation with a victim of abuse, and the subject of a children's cartoon was fuel for their pain, I'd probably opt to just sacrifice the sanctity of children's cartoon discussion. I mean, I know children's cartoon talk is really important and what fuels us all, but in this case I think I could take the hit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yeah, the "one side was physically abusive, but the other side was BITCHY, both sides are guilty really if you think about it".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lapis did nothing wrong by forcibly imprisoning someone against their will under the ocean for months. :colbert:

Can we just agree that both people did hosed up poo poo and move on?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Lapis did nothing wrong by forcibly imprisoning someone against their will under the ocean for months. :colbert:

Someone that was literally trying to punch a child to death and had kept her in a cage.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, the "one side was physically abusive, but the other side was BITCHY, both sides are guilty really if you think about it".

Lapis physically held Jasper down at the bottom of the ocean.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Can we just agree that both people did hosed up poo poo and move on?

Yeah, let's talk about this instead:

When Centipeetle is uncorrupted and gets her voice back which "Orange is the New Black" cast member should she be voiced by?

I vote for Samira Wiley.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm leaning towards Julie Hagerty because I love the film Airplane and think Steven needs to see it.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Someone that was literally trying to punch a child to death and had kept her in a cage.

She thought the child was a rebel leader that is thousands of years old that assassinated her leader. Putting arrested individuals in holding for transportation back for a trial is normal protocol for extradited criminals, which Lapis could have been.

Also if abuse was coming up during a cartoon conversation with someone I'd just not talk about it, dont be silly.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

imo Lapis is sympathetic but also not entirely without blame whilst Jasper is clearly a quite broken individual who could still be redeemed ok theres my hot take.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jasper appears halfway through the movie to save the Crystal Gems, scoffs and says "I guess you Crystal Dorks are too weak to handle this alone?"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying this discussion would be moot if they voted in Donny Reagan and implemented his Space Wars missile/satellite killer plans. Just point them at space and boom, no invasion force.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RandomPauI posted:

I'm just saying this discussion would be moot if they voted in Donny Reagan and implemented his Space Wars missile/satellite killer plans. Just point them at space and boom, no invasion force.

Do you think Clint Eastwood was President in the Steven Universe timeline instead of Ronald Reagan?

Would that be better or worse?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Robert Redford was the 40th President of America in the Steven universe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do you think Clint Eastwood was President in the Steven Universe timeline instead of Ronald Reagan?

Would that be better or worse?

Worse, Reagan was pretty hands off since he knew he wasn't completely up to the job. Clint Eastwood would have tried to do it his own way anyway and probably made a mess of things. Not that it really matters, for all we know Garnet is president.

Before anybody brings up the fact that gay space rocks weren't born on Earth, we don't know that, and she's old enough that the other part of Article II Section 1 applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Clint Eastwood, US ambassador to the Soviet Union, ended the USSR by winning a fistfight with Boris Yeltsin.