Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Let's see if I can boil this down to a top five:

1) OG2nd. Let's start with the bad: It is too easy. The early game is alright but later on all your units have so much SP, EN and weapons do so much damage that you have to actively try not to beat bosses the moment they spawn. The challenge is in getting all the skill points, all the secrets and acing everyone. Challenge and EX-Hard runs also have to engage with game mechanics instead of just throwing your top ace at everything. All that said, the big draw of this game is in how fun most of the characters are and how well it works as a followup to the games preceding it. OG2nd does an amazing job of fleshing out the OGverse, answering old questions and asking new ones, and improving on nearly every original character and plotline it touches. Also the big bad is a meme.

2) Alpha Gaiden tells a very cohesive and tightly written story, which is rare in the series. It manages to do this without having a singular protagonist. There's a bunch of fun originals around though! Nothing wrong with having the MK and two of the SRX crew in lieu of a new character. The ancestors are great antagonists, too. The gameplay is just difficult enough to make challenge runs feel fair without being a total snoozefest when you do upgrade your units. Overall it is an excellent title.

3) OG 1 is the most down to earth game in the entire franchise, a lot of it feels like a Gundam show that happens to have aliens. It is very low powered so by the end you're still deploying Gespensts and I think that's pretty cool, because in this world they only have a handful of legit super robots. This works well with the gameplay and you have to make the most of switchable pilots and weapons to turn your small platoon of mostly customized grunt units into the people who will save the world. OGs1 adds custom ammo to the mix and the twin system makes some of the lesser pilots remain useful.

4) Alpha 3 has some issues with the cast list, there's notable absences (Giant Robo) in place of stuff that doesn't belong (Gundam Seed), and a lot of what is there is rushed (Some of the originals, notably Banpreios) or incomplete (GGG). But it manages to close the series very well, with a suitably epic series of end stages (including a whole bad end route for Ideon) and the final event when Gong plays against the end boss is one of the finest climaxes in the franchise. Also, Cobray owns. It would be a lot of fun to replay if the squad system didn't bog the game down so much.

5) Advance and Advance Portable have two MCs and 5 suits to choose from, with a good cast list that is reminiscent of the SNES era. While Advance isn't all that remarkable by itself, Advance Portable is known for being the most difficult title in the franchise in recent years and that's a deserved reputation. It can be frustrating at times and if you just want to deploy whoever and have a good time then you'll be frustrated, but I found the challenge very fun. The writing is okay, but I think the classic cast list and challenging gameplay more than make up for it. Good replay value, too.

Notable mention goes to MX and W which are the opposite of AP. There is no challenge whatsoever to be found outside of doing silly things like No-Spirits runs. Without skill points or squad systems to slow down the gameplay you can just deploy your favorites and watch the pretty animations, and that's alright! The favorites system helps with this, giving you an incentive to use units who would otherwise be sitting in the bench. Writing wise, the originals are rock solid and the games have some of the best crossover moments in the series, I should probably not say more because it'll be spoilers.

I really should play NEO one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

I was making my own list and nearly forgot this one, and I 100% agree with your reasons. It's a different experience than most SRWs power-level-wise, but that makes it fun and interesting.

Other favorites of mine are:

Z1, which is great top-to-bottom and is one of the most consistent gameplay experiences; you start out underpowered for a bit (using the friggin' Zambo Ace to start, for example) but by the end you're ripping things up the way you typically do in an SRW endgame, and the disparity makes things feel suitably epic.

Alpha 3, which features awesome originals (Cobray is my favorite, but Touma is great as well, particularly for Dai-Rai-Oh's debut, Selena is cool, and honorable mention for the end of Kusuha's storyline even though I've never particularly cared for her), awesome series inclusions (Macross 7, GGG even though it's incomplete) and a great end to the Alpha-verse.

W, with another awesome series list, a great story, and one of the coolest originals in the franchise. Easy as hell, though.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Gandal has heard of Balendos’ retreat against the earthlings and is very disappointed with the captain of the royal guard. The guy insists he was merely observing and will truly finish the job next time (Gandal doesn’t buy it).
Bracky asks Gandal what they should do about the Giganos – their base is on the other side of the Moon. He wants them left alone for now. Thanks to the cloaking shield, they haven’t noticed the Skull Moon Base’s presence yet – even if they have, it’d be foolish of them to fight a war on two fronts.

The plan is to use them as a shield for the Vegans' own plans, letting the humans deplete each other. Two birds with one stone. In the meantime, the Vegans will concentrate on building their secret forward base in Japan in preparation for their global conquest.
Bracky remembers hearing that there’s this odd, Jupiter-like barrier in said Japan and is a bit queasy – that is precisely why Gandal says Japan in perfect for them. The Earthlings are all focused on that barrier and will not notice them constructing their base. Meanwhile, he wants Bracky to get to work planning their next attack.

Kunugi, TERRA’s commander of military operations, welcomes Bright to the aircraft carrier Lydia Litvyak. Souichi (the younger one), the second-in-command of TERRA, is also on the scene and ready to detail Operation Overlord.
Fifteen years ago, the aliens known as the MU suddenly showed up above Tokyo in a humongous fortress. They didn't actually do much, nor did they respond to attempts by the Earthlings to hail them. The Federation Army finally lost patience and attacked, touching off the First MU War. The MU responded with superweapons called Dolems and, in the span of a single day, tens of thousands of people across the world were killed.

Bright remembers it well, though it was before he joined the army. The Federation prepared for all-out war, but the MU formed Tokyo Jupiter and shut themselves inside it. This impassable dome, whose exterior resembles the surface of Jupiter (thus, it is the Jupiter within Tokyo – Tokyo Jupiter), extends for several tens of kilometers around Haneda Airport.
The MU haven’t done anything outside since it first emerged, though there are some who suggest a connection between their arrival and the Second Impact happening shortly after. All speculation, mind.
Regardless, there were about twenty three million Tokyo denizens inside the dome’s area and their status was unknown… until recently.

TERRA’s research has advanced enough and they’ve developed a way to breach the previously unbreachable barrier: the Trans-Dimension Drive Unit (TDDU). With it, they were able to send units to scout out the inside of Tokyo Jupiter and, thus, decided to do Operation Overlord.
TERRA's fighter jets will do the actual work inside, and Kunugi wants Bright to guard the space outside the barrier... which really means reacting to any Dolems that should emerge from within. Bright agrees to get the operational details later and departs.
As he goes, Souichi lets out a sigh of relief; Kunugi asks if he was nervous. “Of course. How could I not be, when I was going to speak directly to THE Bright Noa, captain of the White Base? Were I not on duty, I would have asked for an autograph,” he says.

Kunugi is impressed too, noting that Bright's instincts seem very sharp – he wouldn’t be captaining a Gundam-loaded ship if not, of course. And adding the Japanese Supers to his team will make for an even mightier force, Souichi thinks.
Still, said team is meant as no more than a distraction for what they’re truly after and Kunugi figures Bright is well aware of that. They’re all distractions, as a matter of fact, which is why the next operation NEEDS to be successful. Souichi is confident that Cpt. Haruka Shitou will pull through.

Aqua and Benkei are very impressed with this mighty carrier, even bigger than the Aquapolis (it can’t fly like the Argama, though). Inwardly, Duke is still a bit uncertain whether all this firepower would still be enough to face the Vegans if they attacked in earnest.
Their attention is dragged over to the Dragonar folks having a shouting match with Ben. Seems like they have just gotten the memo that they’ll also be participating in Operation Overlord and Kaine is NOT happy – this isn’t what he signed up for.
Still, those are the orders and, as soldiers, Ben says they’ll have to comply. What about cancelling their registration on the Dragonars, then?! That’ll have to wait until they get to Chongqing – later.

As Kaine balks, Kouji and Duke ask what’s this about “cancelling their registration”? Light gives them the rundown: when they first flew the Dragonars, they got registered as the pilots and the only way to undo that is with some special systems that’re only in the Chongqing base.
Until that’s done, no one else can fly the things; the combat data within is also locked away. Makes sense to Kouji that they have all these safeties in place as these ARE highly classified mechs. More insight he gained in his studies in the US.

Either way, Kaine and company’s mission was to take these mechs that were registered to them and bring them, and their data, over to Chongqing. That was what they signed up for, so being asked to take part in this operation goes way beyond the original contract.
Daisuke understands how he feels but that’s the situation the world is in now. Kaine gets that he’s being selfish as hell to wanna bail on this with the Giganos, Vegans and MU prowling about… still, he’s not happy.
Ben points out that kids younger than him are working their asses off on the Nahel Argama and Light agrees, saying they can’t put on a bad show for them. It’s their job as the older guys!
Kaine’s actually surprised that he’s no problem with this and while Light IS getting fed with the army’s way of doing things, he knows complaining won’t help. All they can do is stay alive until they reach Chongqing. Kaine still grumbles, and Light has a laugh, having figured he was made of sturdier stuff than this.

: Psh, you better watch that big mouth… And, Tap, what the hell are you doing?!
: …♪
: … He’s off in his own little musical world, I think.
: Well, I guess someone’s gotta do this. Hup!
: Hey, what gives?! Give my headphones back!
: Oho, now this is a surprise. Classical music?
: Ya got a problem with that? I like listening every now and then.
: It’s a bit too late for you to start showing some hints of intelligence, you know.

*Someone walks over.*

: Huh?
: La-la? (her name is Quon, FYI)
: Hm?
: So...
: “So”?
: So cute…!
: Easy there, what are—
: Let me hear…
: Huh? The headphones?
: Yes…
: W-well, sure…
: … The color of battle… the sound of wings as they start to spread…

*Quon walks off.*

: The hell? She just left…
: What just happened?
: Who was that girl…?
: No idea. She didn’t look like a soldier but…
: Judging by her clothes, I reckon she’s one of TERRA’s folks.
: …
: (There was something strange about her… Almost like…)

We open up with Ayato at the start of a new day – signs point it’ll be another normal day.
Regardless, he shouldn’t keep Mamoru and Hiroko waiting.

As he walks down the road, he seemingly feels something but sees nothing. Is he imagining things? Hiroko and Mamoru call out to him and ask why he’s just standing there; Ayato say he’s got the feeling that he’s being watched ever since he left home.
Hiroko praises him for being so popular that he’s apparently got a stalker, then. Or maybe he’s just paranoid? Mamoru cuts in and tells them both to hurry – they’ve mock tests today. Ayato notices that he’s carrying a certain book around; what is he studying? English… not that any English-speaking country exists anymore.
Hiroko chides him that studying on the verge of the test won’t do much but Mamoru believes in working hard until the very last second. Ayato is more relaxed but, as Hiroko knows, he can put in some effort when the mood strikes him – in particular, his paintings.

The conversation is cut short when an airplane flights overhead. They’ve been going back and forth all morning, Mamoru says. Hiroko read in a magazine that there’s fear of another alien invasion and the rumors as to what the identity of said attackers are as varied as they come: Guests, Aerogaters, Shadow Mirrors, Ruina, Einsts… (The PSP version lists: Inspectors, Shuras, Duminus, Fury, Zukunft…)
But the point is that due to alien invaders, the entire world outside of Tokyo went up in smoke. Could they be coming over for round two? Ayato isn’t too sure the aliens are at it again, as nothing’s happened since the Tokyo battle and that was a whole THREE years ago. It, somehow, feels longer than that to Hiroko.

That’s not important now, as one of the planes crashes nearby.
An explosion rocks the town and the kids wonder if another invasion is really happening. Regardless, Ayato says they need to run away from here. That is until Ayato hears someone singing nearby. Hiroko hasn’t heard anything but he’s sure he heard it and runs after the source, telling her to stay with Mamoru.

Ayato looks around and finds a girl singing. He tries warning that it’s dangerous here but, soon after, recognizes her: Mishima...Reika.
They seem to know each other and are very surprised to have just run into each other like this. Still, whatever the reason this happened, he figures the more, the merrier… but, then, what was she doing here?
Before he gets an answer, Reika speaks of hearing a song – a Dolem – and runs off.

Elsewhere, two nondescript secret agent types are conferring about how the first defense line has been breached – Maya is going to have “that” deployed.
Time is of the essence, then, so the agents move to locate their target – it should still be nearby.

Miwa (young girl) confirms that half of the invading crafts have already been eliminated and Kuki asks Maya (older woman) if it’s really alright sending Allegretto out. Indeed, Maya says it’ll be fine – no awakening will happen without “Ollin”. And even if it did, it wouldn’t be able to sing.
What if THAT mechanical god from the outside world – Mu’s Guardian – were to appear? “That’d be no problem either,” says Maya. “The Star of La Mu shines no more.”
Kuki seems apprehensive and Miwa reports that said Ollin has been spotted and Maya orders to have him brought to the temple.

Ayato has followed Reika towards something of an underground passage but, before he can get his bearings, those agents come to pick him up – his mother summons him.
They say there’s no time to explain and, when Ayato still wants to know what’s going on, pull a gun on him. Before they drag him away, however, someone jumps out of the shadows and knocks out both men – from the fresh wounds on their faces, Ayato sees that the agents’ blood is blue!

Ayato turns to his savior and asks who it is: “Oh, right… Just think of me as a do-gooder, yes?” Haruka says. Ayato is confused and she figures he at least could thank her for saving him – he does.
Haruka needs only take a look at his face to see that he’s curious as to why the blood of those men had such a color: “I’ll tell you… IF you come with me. And not just about the blue blood but about everything in this world.”
Ayato says that he's not such a little kid that he'll just go with strangers and, besides, he’s got to find his friend. Haruka sighs that that’s a shame… and moves to try and knock him out, figuring ignorance is bliss.
Before she does so, however, Reika appears out of thin air – much to their surprise. One of the agents takes this opportunity to blindside Haruka. As she reels back, Reika runs off again and Ayato goes in pursuit. “No, stop! Ayato!” Haruka calls out as he leaves.

: Reika, wait! Reika!!
: Wh-what is this place?! We’re underground but I can see the sky…
: Ayato… there.
: Huh? An egg…?

: U-Urgh! My- My body’s?!

: LAAAAAAAAAAAA…

: Gch! Graaah…!

: (Awaken… Ayato. Awaken.)

: Rah…Xephon…!

: Ayato, where are you?! Answer me!

: Ah! That’s--!
: The Xephon moves…?! L-Lady Maya!
: Ayato…! Are you inside that thing?!
: Aah…ah…! Hah…hah…hah…hah…
: Wh-what is going on…? Aah…! What’s happening?!
: Urk! UWAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*Crash!*

: !
: L-Lady Maya!
: Lady Maya, you’re hurt…!
: I’m fine.
: M-Mom…? Your blood’s…!
: (You’ve awakened, Ayato.)
: (So much time has passed… So many sacrifices.)
: Huh?! What are you talking about, mom?!
: (I have waited for this: the moment where your blood would awaken.)
: ?!
: (Come, Ayato… My—)
: You are…!

*Ruuumble!

: Wh-what?! From above?!

Mission 3 – The Deity Awakens

: Someone answer me! This is Bunga Mawar speaking! …drat it, am I the only one left?!

: And it’s because of her… Because of that puppet’s song!

*Ruuuuuumble!*

: What?! Reinforcements?!

: That’s… a D1 Dolem?!
: Is that what I saw just now…?
: *sings aria*
: Wh-what?!
: We’ve a quantum condensation reaction! FD phase shift increasing!
: And the Xephon’s FD phase conversion coefficient… It’s awakened…?!
: Why…? Why are you not listening to me, Ayato…?
: The girl on the Xephon’s shoulder…! Is it… Ixtli…?
: That’s the defense corps’ weapon…? It’s coming to attack me?!

The objective here is to destroy the Allegretto without losing anyone but the plot kicks in if Ayato takes too much damage.

Chensing Type 2 (Elvy Hadhiyat)
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L2
  • Support Attack L1
  • Counter L1
  • Assisted Attack L1
Spirit Commands:
  • Accelerate (5)
  • Focus (15)
  • Invincible (20)
Mech Features:
  • Resupply Module
Elvy’s Voice Actress: Yuu Sugimoto (other known works: Catherine in Gintama, Ana Cortez in Lost and some others)

That’s totally a Falken from Ace Combat – it’s just missing the nose laser!
Regardless, I like Elvy as she falls in that oh-so-common group of characters that can pull their weight but lack stopping power to be top tier. She dodges well, is accurate and he ranged stats are decent. The Chensing itself is pretty dang dodgy in itself, as you’d expect from a plane, bolstered by an S size.
The Resupply module suggests Banpresto might see her as a support unit but I reckon she can fill the bit of pint-sized harasser almost as well as the TFO. She just exchanges a bit of dodginess for higher attack power.

RahXephon (Ayato Kamina)
Pilot Skills:
  • ???
  • Prevail L2
  • Sword Cut
  • Shield Defense
Spirit Commands:
  • Strike (20)
  • Focus (10)
Mech Features:
  • Harmonic Field (when over 120 morale, reduce all incoming damage by 1500)
  • Shield
Ayato’s Voice Actor: Hiro Shimono (other known works: Takuya in Gundam Unicorn, Emile in Tales of Symphonia 2, Hades in Saint Seiya and many others)

Ooh, baby, the RahXephon is strong as hell. Not so much right now as it only has one attack but, as we get going, it’ll be one of your best Supers. And that’s not even touching upon it being the first unit to unlock the Shield + Barrier invincibility cheat code. Once Ayato’s morale reaches 120, it’s game over for anyone not packing a barrier piercing attack.
The kid himself is also a very competent pilot, though his defense is a bit on the low side; that’s likely to make up for the mechs’ own defenses but, with some mobility upgrades, the RahXephon can be made to dodge rather reliably.

Now, I’ll be moving Ayato a wee bit back so he can bait Allegretto closer to Elvy. He could take her on his own but what’s the fun in that?

Enemy Phase!

Thank you.

Player Phase!

Haruka flies over in her Aliel, relieved to see that Elvy is still in one piece.
More importantly, Elvy wants explanations as to what’s up with that weird unit that showed up. Haruka says that’ll have to wait and asks her to cover Ayato.

Aaah, one more…

Aliel (Haruka Shitou)
Pilot Skills:
  • Suppoert Attack L1
  • Support Defense L2
  • Mechanic – Increases HP restored by the repair command by 20%
  • Trust (10)
  • Focus (10)
  • Rouse (30) - +10 morale to all adjacent pilots
  • Cheer
Mech Features:
  • Repair Module
  • Resupply Module
Haruka’s Voice Actress: Aya Hisakawa (other known roles: Sailor Mercury, Mira in Godannar, Judith in Tales of Vesperia and a whole lot more)

Haruka’s the good type of support: she can keep herself alive by dodging well, comes with a small, flying unit and actually isn’t too bad on the attack. The Aliel needs a few upgrades to be really dodgy but Haruka’s command list already makes it the best pure supporter we’ve had so far.

Might as well have Elvy open the attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HEoUXkkhHY
And here’s Allegretto’s aria SFX.

The Aliel has some pretty good range for a support unit, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XQ84SxgoQ

: Urgh…! We can’t keep going like this…!
: Huh?! Reika?! How are you on this thing’s shoulder?! I thought you ran away!

: Sing, RahXephon. Sing your song – the forbidden song!
: Sing, so that, one day, all may be united…!
: Reika…?!

*Allegretto charges in!*

: Aargh! Reika… Reika!

: She’s… she’s gone…!

: Gch…aah…!
: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

: The Xephon’s quantum condensation field has reached immeasurable levels: 12+!
: It’s resonating with the aria…?!
: HAAAAAAH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_eeSLLQ7jk

: Haah…haah…
: It’s…!
: Quantum field has gone dipolar! It’s merging with the boundary and forming a corridor!
: What the…! There’s a hole in the sky…!
: Is it trying to break through the barrier?!
: Elvy, we need to get out! Right now!
: R-roger!

: The Xephon’s transposed the barrier.
: What?! It got outside?! With Ollin…?! This is a disaster…
: …You may go, Ayato. I know you will return to my side… Along with Ixtli…

Second part of this mission will be up in a couple of days!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 31, 2017

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, bets that Nergal is somehow behind all the fuckups that caused _this_ group of Jupiter themed baddies too?

Also, have Nadesico TV and Eva ever been in the same SRW game? I'm imagining Inez trying to get Ritsuko to sub for her in a Naze Nani segment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

That’s totally a Falken from Ace Combat – it’s just missing the nose laser!
Of course, TERRA is funded by Belka of all countries. Their diabolical reach knows no bounds! :argh:

All jokes aside, I do like Rahxephon. The show got some very nice touches with the aria SFX underscoring their attacks, so there is some love put into what is Rahxephon's only appearance in the franchise.

Ardeem posted:

Also, have Nadesico TV and Eva ever been in the same SRW game? I'm imagining Inez trying to get Ritsuko to sub for her in a Naze Nani segment.
Nope, they have not. This game is the only time Nadesico and Evangelion cross paths to date.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Doesn't Bamco have to pay separate licensing fees for each series? Project Eva, Nadesico, Full Metal Panic, etc. get mentioned separately in the launch credits whenever they appear in a game.

As for the favorite-game conversation, I tend to prefer the OG games to the mainline ones, but my favorites in the mainline games are the ones that mess around with the plot a bit more. My favorite is probably SRW 64, which actually had a branching plot as you played (as opposed to just splitting the team up and having you pick which one to follow). One branch has you joining OZ and helping Treize overthrow the Earth Sphere Alliance. (Also there's Giant Robo.)

SRW D opens with Char being victorious in Char's Counterattack, after which Bright and company join forces with him to try to make something out of the aftermath.

Alpha 2 has pirate Gundams.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Of course, TERRA is funded by Belka of all countries. Their diabolical reach knows no bounds! :argh:

All jokes aside, I do like Rahxephon. The show got some very nice touches with the aria SFX underscoring their attacks, so there is some love put into what is Rahxephon's only appearance in the franchise.

I think RahXephon also showed up in SC2. No one plays SC2, though.

Seyser Koze posted:

As for the favorite-game conversation, I tend to prefer the OG games to the mainline ones, but my favorites in the mainline games are the ones that mess around with the plot a bit more. My favorite is probably SRW 64, which actually had a branching plot as you played (as opposed to just splitting the team up and having you pick which one to follow). One branch has you joining OZ and helping Treize overthrow the Earth Sphere Alliance. (Also there's Giant Robo.)

SRW D opens with Char being victorious in Char's Counterattack, after which Bright and company join forces with him to try to make something out of the aftermath.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Char won in D, considering Axis never really fell onto Earth - the Ruina just phased the whole planet away before the drop succeeded. I haven't played that game yet but I imagine that made for a very awkward moment where Char, Amuro and Bright just sat there going "...Now what?".

And I reckon I oughta take a look at 64 at some point. I've always heard of so many interesting events that played out there (and also how that Soulgain-esque bot has "Getter 1 range" syndrome).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I think RahXephon also showed up in SC2. No one plays SC2, though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Char won in D, considering Axis never really fell onto Earth - the Ruina just phased the whole planet away before the drop succeeded. I haven't played that game yet but I imagine that made for a very awkward moment where Char, Amuro and Bright just sat there going "...Now what?".

And I reckon I oughta take a look at 64 at some point. I've always heard of so many interesting events that played out there (and also how that Soulgain-esque bot has "Getter 1 range" syndrome).
I think Scramble Commander is considered "that side thing we tried twice and don't really talk about anymore". But, the sub-series matters enough that SEED Destiny's appearance in SC2 is considered its big SRW debut instead of Z1. Scramble Commander is weird like that.

As for D, it's more like Char got ready to drop Axis, and then grew several brain cells. He basically realizes that instead of taunting Amuro, Char needs to take him out of the equation to prevent any meddling. And he does this by managing to keep Amuro and Bright under house arrest, then tries to drop Axis. Cue the Ruina phasing the Earth away and Char probably thinking of how to explain to Amuro how his grand plan hosed up without the latter dying of laughter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I played MXP several years ago and had a lot of fun despite the HP bloat and not understanding a word of the story, so it's interesting to be following this.

I didn't really like RahXephon as a show at all (Great OST though, and I generally like the mecha and monster designs), though I'm curious about how MX's adaptation handles the details.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know a lot about RahXephon - bounced off it an episode or two in when I tried to watch way back in the day. Real cool ost, though. Hemisphere's a great track.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

AradoBalanga posted:

As for D, it's more like Char got ready to drop Axis, and then grew several brain cells. He basically realizes that instead of taunting Amuro, Char needs to take him out of the equation to prevent any meddling. And he does this by managing to keep Amuro and Bright under house arrest, then tries to drop Axis. Cue the Ruina phasing the Earth away and Char probably thinking of how to explain to Amuro how his grand plan hosed up without the latter dying of laughter.

Thanks for the laughs!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So... I'm guessing that I'm supposed to be confused as hell with all this Rahxephon plot stuff at the moment, and it will make more sense later?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Alacron posted:

So... I'm guessing that I'm supposed to be confused as hell with all this Rahxephon plot stuff at the moment, and it will make more sense later?

Yeah. RahXephon's opening plot intentionally makes poo poo all sense in the beginning.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I can't stand Raxephon's character designs; the completely flat, noseless faces on the main characters bug the hell out of me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I honestly really liked RahXephon, it was basically Evangelion Done Right, like a decade before Rebuild attempted that same thing. Due to the fact that it only appears in MX (Scramble Commander doesn't count), I gave it Favorite Series status, and lemme tell ya, the RahXephon is loving insane with maxed upgrades. Much like the robot that inspired it (SRW series regular Raideen), the RahXephon has the potential to be extremely evasive. Combined with its shield and barrier, and it's more-or-less impossible to harm significantly.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EclecticTastes posted:

I honestly really liked RahXephon, it was basically Evangelion Done Right, like a decade before Rebuild attempted that same thing.

Agreed; I also have to say that the character designs were what drew me in, as they weren't the usual 'big eyes and pointy nose' thing I usually saw in anime at the time. Great to see that it's so good in SRW, and I hope the RX and Eva crews get a team-up or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RahXephon felt more like how the NGE manga has been described to me more than the anime itself or Rebuild, though going into why would involve spoiler talk.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Yknow how some people describe a series as 'this other series, but on drugs?'

RahXephon is either Evangelion if it laid off the coke and LSD, or it's Evangelion properly taking its Depakote. I don't prefer it to EVA, but it's a really good series in it's own right, and Hemisphere indeed owns.

Following this thread. Eager to see how they fold, spindle and mutilate the plotlines of the shows I grew up with.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Rahxephon is Evangelion done right in the same way Gurren Lagann is Getter Robo done right. There's many superficial similarities in both works but they ultimately say different things and can't really be compared directly to each other unless you're looking for the wrong things in each of them.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Raxivace posted:

RahXephon felt more like how the NGE manga has been described to me more than the anime itself or Rebuild, though going into why would involve spoiler talk.

I look forward to you going into detail on this in somewhere between five or six months to a year.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also it's very much a Raideen remake you plebs! :arghfist::smug:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Onmi posted:

Also it's very much a Raideen remake you plebs! :arghfist::smug:

Beaten. I came here to say that Rahxephon was the better of the 3 Raideen remakes.

edit: Like, it'll be mad obvious as this game goes on that Rahxephon is only superficially similar to Eva and it takes nearly everything else from Raideen.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My favorite SRW's are those that manage to mix my favorite series' plots in a decent way, but if I had to pick 1 it'd have to be W. As a big Tekkaman Blade and GaoGaiGar fanboy, seeing that both those series were mixed together so well was the bee's knees.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Excuse the mouse cursor in some of these pictures - IrfanView decided to change back a few settings.

Outside, our people are staring at Tokyo Jupiter and there hasn’t been any activity or information from TERRA’s folks. Ryouma hopes the troops they sent inside are doing alright but we can only speculate.
Kouji expected this raid to be turn into a huge, booming battle but, by the looks of things, that’s not gonna happen. Still, Duke tells him to keep his guard up as we’ve no idea what might be going on inside.
Beecha is bored with all this but Mondo tells him that us not having to fight is a good thing. Sure, but he wanted to check out how strong those MU Dolems things are. Elle warns him that the things wrecked an entire city around the time they were born. And Beecha isn’t about to let them do it again; if we’re gonna be fighting them sooner or later, he wants to know more about the things before it comes to that.

As Light praises Beecha’s manliness, Judau is staring right at Tokyo Jupiter. It really does look a lot like the real thing.
Roux figures he’d know, considering his old wish of visiting the place after the mess with Haman was finished (before he was dragged into this).
When Puru asks, Puru Two says the trip to Jupiter would take about three years. The girl is outraged by the thought of spending all that time without seeing Judau and yells that she’ll be going with him. Puru Two complains that she’s being selfish but Puru turns to her and asks if she wouldn’t want to come along too? “W-well… sure but…”

Tap laughs at how popular the kid is and, while Judau flushes, Kouji says the trip might not take that long. Once the Hisago Plan’s Boson Jump network is up and running, travel time to Jupiter will be drastically reduced. Puru’s still going, though.
Aqua is impressed that they can be this relaxed during an operation, and Hugo tells her that she could stand to learn from that. “Yeah, yeah… I’m just a rookie co-pilot, after all,” she grumbles. Hugo’s in the process of telling her to stop pouting when he, and Torres, detect something approaching at very high speed.
And it’s not coming from Tokyo Jupiter, meaning it’s not the MU…

: Ah! That’s…!
: The Medius!
: Is here good enough?
: Yes.
: And the Nahel Argama team is also around. That’s two birds with one stone, even. Let me handle them.
: …As you wish.
: Heh… Is your heart not in this?
: …All I want is to show Tokyo Jupiter – and what’ll emerge from it – to AI1.
: Whatever that is, I don’t care. I only need the Medius to surpass that monster.
: And it’s for that reason that we came to this place.
: What are they doing here?!
: They’re not running like before…!
: I’m going in. Start collecting data.
: Understood.
: Cpt. Bright, permission to capture the Medius!
: Permission granted. All other units, hold position and keep an eye on our surroundings!

As he said, only Hugo can actually move to engage the Medius. We still only need to reduce its HP, though, so it’ll be fine. Mind, he can’t get in range to attack at this point.
Before we start, though, we had a new unit added inbetween missions and the game didn’t even see fit to tell us about it:

Getter Q (Michiru Saotome)
Pilot Skills:
  • Sword Cut L1
  • Support Defense L1
  • SP Regen – restores 10 SP at the start of every turn
Spirit Commands:
  • Accelerate (5)
  • Focus (15)
  • Trust (30)
Mech Features:
  • Repair Module
Michiru’s Voice Actress: Rihoko Yoshida (other known works: Miwa in Jeeg, Lisa in Danguard Ace, Storm in the X-Men cartoon (is the OP playing in your head right now? It should) and some others)

Well, this is a rare sight, ain’t it? I can’t remember any other game where Michiru gets her Getter Q instead of the Lady Command. Addendum: EclecticTastes says it was in A, too.
The switch gives her more stopping power but, in exchange, she can no longer fly and the Getter Q isn’t very resilient. What does help, however, is that she has a combined attack with Ryouma which is pretty powerful and has 1-4 range (Getter Dragon’s longest reaching attack).
Natural SP Regen is excellent on a support, though Michiru’s a rather poor pilot. All in all, she has enough stuff going that you could probably find a spot for her in your early-to-midgame team but, later on, she’ll fall behind.

Enemy Phase!

Here they come.

: Who the hell’s piloting this thing?! Tell me!
: (Hmhmhm… You’re better off not knowing.)
: Why won’t you say anything?!
: Hugo, in that case—
: I know! We’ll bring it back, either in one piece or hundreds!

Ooh, lucky.

: (The Medius’ movements are a bit different from before…? Still, the basis of it is…)
: (Seems like you’re done breaking in that mech. But the real question is whether your body can actually withstand using it.)

Player Phase!

Now we’re in range and Hugo pays the Medius back with a big crit.

: !!
: He just regenerated every bit of damage he took!
: Is that the Lazmunanium?! But how can it act this quickly?!
: It shouldn’t, that’s what… (MXP version: Yeah, the thing wasn't even working right during that last test.)
: …What just happened there?
: That was the power of the Lazmunanium… rather, of AI1.
: What…?
: (It can influence the Lazmunanium’s regeneration rate? Is that what she’s getting at?)
: (None of this was detailed in the Medius’ spec notes.)
: Oh, yes, AI1. You want to see? Please do – this will all be very educational to you.
: Hrm? The unit isn’t moving…! What’re you doing?
: AI1 wants to see the one emerging from the other side of the barrier.
: And it took over the Medius’ controls for that?
: Yes… so can you please indulge the child for a moment?
: Don’t be ridiculous. There is a very simple word for those who just sit around in the battlefield: easy prey.
: Give me the controls back right now. I trust you don’t want this to be your grave either?

*The Medius turns towards the barrier*

: The hell? That bot’s just started looking at Tokyo Jupiter.
: Facing away from the enemy during an ongoing battle… confident, aren’t we?
: But there’s something odd about its bearing…
: Odd how?
: This goes beyond merely dropping one’s guard… it’s as though the robot itself is looking at Tokyo Jupiter.
: The Medius itself is looking at it…?
: Hugo! Now’s our chance!
: Urk?!
: Hugo?!
: Gck, rrgh…!
: What’s wrong?!

MX Version:

: (This can’t be happening…! The medicine couldn’t have worn off already…!)
: Hugo! What’s going on?!

MXP version:

: (My hands and feet are numb...! How?! This shouldn't be happening yet...!)
: Hugo! What’s going on?!
: (The medicine's losing effectiveness...?! This has to be a sick joke! If my limbs seize up right now, we...!)
: Heey, Hugo! Get back to piloting now!
: (Urk... Is this what Zapato was talking about?!)

Common ground:

*Beep, beep!*

: What is it?!
: We’re getting a big energy spike coming from Tokyo Jupiter’s barrier!
: Is it the Dolems?! All troops, get ready!
: (Here it comes…!)

: What is THAT?!
: Is that a Dolem?
: It looks like a person…!
: More than that, it…!

*The cursor moves to Rahxephon, who screams.

: Th-that bot screamed?!
: I don’t know why but it kinda feels like…!
: Yeah…! Like Akira’s Raideen…!

*The Rahxephon dashes for the map’s border and leaves.*

: Hey, it ran away!
: What was that thing…?

: Ayato, wait! Ayato!!

*Haruka chases him and leaves.*

: …Was that unit what AI1 wanted to see?
: Yes.
: What is it?
: I don’t know.
: Excuse me?
: It’s true. AI1 detected a quantum reaction with his sensors, so he told me he wanted to come here.
: (It’s interested in knowledge beyond combat data? That’s absurd. I thought it was just a regular AI to help manage the mech…)
: Regardless, we’ve done what we came here for. I recommend we withdraw.
: …Understood.

: The Medius!
: It ran off?!
: Hugo!

MX Version:

: I-I’m fine… Sorry…
: “Sorry”, huh?
: (My arms and legs are moving again… I can handle it now…!)
: The TE Engine’s output is stable. We’ve got to go after the Medius!
: Y-yeah...!

MXP Version:

: (The numbness is going away. Guess the medicine hasn't become completely ineffective...)
: Are you alright?!
: Yeah... We're going after the Medius.
: Right, we might still have time! I'll just get permission from Cpt. Bright and--

Common ground:

: Cpt. Haruka! Captain! drat it, did she go after him…?!
: Hey, isn’t that one of TERRA’s units?
: Yeah, just like the last one.
: Then, Operation Overlord was—
: I’m getting another energy spike from Tokyo Jupiter’s dome! Several, actually!

: drat it! The MUs followed us?!
: Target IDed! According to TERRA’s data, these are D2 Dotems!
: The MU’s miniature weapons? All troops, open fire! Cover that friendly!
: What about us, Captain?!
: Intercepting those Dotems takes priority! Leave the pursuit of the Medius to the other platoons!
: U-Understood!
: (drat it! If I could just have moved my hands back then…!)

Nothing’s ever simple, huh? Our people are closing in, while Elvy works on whatever’s close.

: Go to hell, you damned puppets! This is for my whole team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7DPagwRDs
<<Fox two, fox two!>>
Also, the Dotems are so very weak.

Enemy Phase!

Everything moves in.

Player Phase!

And now we clean them up with everyone.

: What’s with these things…? Are they machines or actual living beings…?

: Come on, you doll-lookin’ buggers! Try your hand on us since you cared to step outside Tokyo!

: What is this…? I can feel something like a consciousness coming from these units…

: ( Urgh…! I need to wrap this up in a hurry, or else…)
: Are you alright, Hugo?
: Of course I am! Just worry about the enemy!

: We’ll have a repeat of the tragedies of fifteen years ago if we don’t stop them here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjoC57hLnH8
Yet another minor attack being used in tandem with the main weapon!

That was the last Dotem but Kouji also had stuff to say:

: drat it… Are the MU starting another attack?!

Torres confirms all Dotems dead and Elvy’s in one piece. She thanks Bright for his support and breaks the news that, other than her and Haruka, everyone else is gone.
As she leaves for TERRA’s carrier, Bright and Judau aren’t too happy with the outcome. Inwardly, Bright wonders if the true objective of Operation Overlord was the giant mech that ran off.

The claxons are blaring, as Higashiyama tells Mari that a massive amount of Mutron Energy is pouring from Raideen’s crag. But, how, when Akira isn’t aboard the thing?
Professor Hibiki (with the glasses), figures that this is much like when Raideen first appeared. Mari wonders if this means the Devil Empire has resurged.

Akira doesn’t think that’s possible, as he defeated Barao, the Devil Emperor himself – at the cost of his mother and Jinguuji’s lives, no less.
Just then, the energy goes away, and Hibiki suspects that Raideen is, once again, trying to warn us all of something. Akira agrees that it was positively a warning, but about what he doesn't yet know. To be on the safe side, Hibiki has Akira get ready to launch - and Mari too.

After they leave, Hibiki points out to Higashiyama that this may have something to do with what the TERRA’s Prof. Kisaragi was talking about. And given how Operation Overlord is going on right now, this hardly feels like a coincidence. Can it be that Kisaragi commissioned the development of the RMU System in anticipation of this?
Considering how insistently the Bähbem Foundation has been requesting to be allowed to study the Raideen, it’s rather clear to Hibiki that their bot must have some connection to the OOPart TERRA’s after.

Meanwhile, in Tokyo Jupiter, Maya and Miwa are getting confirmation that they managed to successfully send Dotems across the barrier and into the outside world; only natural, Kuki figures, considering that people from the outside were able to come in.
In fact, if they use TERRA’s own system, Kuki figures it’d be very possible to conquer the outside world via their Dolems. Maya wonders if "conquest" is the right word for it all but Kuki tells her that there can be no hesitation at this point. Miwa thinks that he doesn't grasp Maya's plans at all.
Regardless, Maya points out that if Kuki has actually listened to Miwa's report he should realize how much energy is required to open the passage out of Tokyo Jupiter. Furthermore, it’ll take a significant number of troops to face the forces of the outside world on equal group – sending that much out will have significant ramifications on the operations on this side.

Kuki begrudgingly agrees and Maya decides to only concentrate on recovering Ayato, whose escape she takes as her own misstep. She hadn't figured that at age 17 he was mature enough to board Xephon; saying nothing of the fact that she didn’t expect the unit itself to allow him to traverse to the outside.
Still, this might actually turn to be a fine opportunity for Ayato to develop further. If presented with the proper trials, it may speed his awakening as an Instrumentalist.

And what about TERRA? Maya expects them to be after the same thing so, with that in mind, why not “help out” a little bit?
Miwa raises the point that this could put the people synchronized with the Dolems at risk but Maya cares not about losing two or three Mulians. In fact, she’ll readily accept losing a thousand of them if need be. Miwa takes that as a sign of Maya's resolve.
Kuki reminds Maya of the Mu artifact that lies on the other side of the barrier. Does she care not about the dangers of it and the Xephon coming into contact? She sees no problem at the moment as the Conductor has yet to awaken.
Maya tells him not to forget that Ayato's awakening is the end goal, and hope, of all their plans.

Back on TERRA’s carrier, Souichi is confirming that the RahXephon’s, codenamed 5A, safely aboard. Seems that Haruka managed to guide it over and Isshiki is rather impressed – this must be fate, he figures, but won’t explain what that means when Souichi asks.
Souichi is a bit wary of Isshiki, an official of the Federation sent over to keep tabs on TERRA’s activities – he all but certain the guy’s actually an agent of the Bähbem Foundation. Either way, the guy wants to know if there have been any new discoveries on the 5A.

Nothing right now, says Souichi, which is why they’re moving it to Nirai-Kanai to have Prof. Kisaragi take a look. Well, there’s actually one thing they know: the thing’s pilot called it RahXephon. Isshiki sneers at the bot’s pilot going and giving it a name – like it’s a toy he just bought.
Regardless, the pilot has just finished being examined and Kunugi wants to have a talk with him.

Meanwhile, Ayato is a bit miffed that he needed to undergo a blood test as soon as he arrived but Haruka says it’s just a formality. He huffs that his blood is red and she’s forced to agree.
Ayato wants to know where the ship’s going and she tells it’s Nirai-Kanai. He’s heard the name: an Okinawan word meaning “the island where the gods dwell”. Haruka praises his insight but says the place has no gods and isn’t near Okinawa; rather, it’s a floating city extending from islands in the Kyushu sea, where they conduct their research on Tokyo Jupiter.
TERRA’s HQ is there and, when Ayato asks, Kunugi walks in and gives him the rundown of their mission to investigate and fight the MU. After he introduces himself, Kunugi tells the kid that an official decision regarding him hasn't come down yet; thus, his freedom of movement aboard the ship will be restricted until they arrive in Nirai-Kanai.

Oh, and before he forgets, he tells Ayato to fix the time on his watch to the correct time. Kunugi doesn’t explain what he means, only turning to Haruka and telling her to take him to the assigned room and then head to the bridge (she seems unhappy, hearing that).
He leaves, leaving Ayato a bit miffed with his attitude; Haruka says that the guy might be surly but he’s a good man. Either way, he wants to know what the guy meant with “correct time” and he remembers her saying she’d tell him about everything in this world.

What is it, then? He always thought the world outside Tokyo had been destroyed by the invaders.
Haruka asks him if he knows the population of the world. About twenty three million? Actually, it’s more like ten billion if you count the colonies. Next one, Haruka knows he’s seventeen years old, so does he know what year it is? Space Calendar 76?

Well, she tells him to take a deep breath and calm down: it’s actually the year 89. She shows him her watch, whose face is split in two to show real-world time and Tokyo time. Apparently the flow of time within Tokyo Jupiter is one sixth of real time.
Ayato calls lies but, while Haruka says that the detailed explanation for it is too complex for her to manage, it IS the truth. The battle Ayato thought resulted in the outside world’s destruction has been dubbed the MU War; Haruka tells him of what happened fifteen years ago, with their appearance over Tokyo and the people attacking out of fear when they just sat there, etc, etc.

Barely two and a half years have passed within Tokyo while it’s been fifteen for everyone else... and those years have been full of chaos. The Second Impact, the One Year War, the Lizard War and more occurred and it’s been theorized that the MU knew what was coming and, thus, hid themselves inside Tokyo Jupiter’s barrier.
Ayato asks, then, why Haruka went and took him out of there NOW if they spent fifteen years not doing anything about Tokyo? She doesn’t know why, actually, only that they ordered her to do so. He asks if his mother and his friends are still alive, inside Tokyo Jupiter, and Haruka confirms, though she’ll say no more. It’s time to get him to his room.

Along the way, they run into Elvy and Haruka immediately tells Ayato that she needs to stay behind for some girl-talk. His room is just down the corridor, so she shoos him away.
Haruka’s heard that Elvy was the only survivor of the infiltration party and is quite impressed but the woman herself isn’t here for that. She just wants a quick and straight answer for a single question and, no, it’s about when Haruka’s going to pay her back for the drink she covered the other day.
“Did you know what Operation Overlord was all about? Did my friends lose their lives for that stupid kid?” she asks.
Haruka wants to know where she heard that but Elvy demands an answer to her question. Did she know everything?
“…I guess our plans to grab Chinese food next week are about to be cancelled,” Haruka quips and earns a prompt punch from Elvy.

Ayato is checking out his new room and finds a barbershop-like pole spinning by the door. Odd to find something like this aboard an aircraft carrier but the suddenly-appearing Quon says this room was originally the infirmary. The stripes in the pole are meant to represent the red and blue blood vessels, see.
Ayato nods along as Quon starts questioning why we’ve blood vessels of both colors if humans only have red blood? Ayato ponders this, remembering her mother’s blood being blue.
He’s interrupted when Quon calls him “Ollin” and drags him away.

Later on, Haruka’s reached the bridge and wants Kunugi to explain why Ayato’s “room” is the confinement chamber for Mulians, rigged to blow up the occupants if not opened properly.
Souichi tells her that the results of the blood test came back: Ayato's nucleotides and peptides all displayed MU-phase reactions.
“But he doesn’t know anything! Let him go – please! I know he’ll work with us! And his blood is still the same color as ours, no?!” Haruka yells. Kunugi’s answer is a simple: “It is now. But someday, he’ll…”

As for our people, we’re busy looking over footage from the battle, specifically of the robot that came out of Tokyo Jupiter. Light remembers the Super Robot crew talking about it resembling something?
“Honestly, it kinda looked like Si— (this link is NSFW!)“ Kouji starts saying and Hayato warns that he might beckon aerial attacks if he finishes that sentence. When Puru asks, Kouji just says it’s just an old story of theirs. (Does that mean we can call another Akira to help with this?)

For real now, Ryouma says it was similar to the Raideen – the bot who defeated the Devil Empire, relic of the ancient Mu Empire and powered by Mutron energy. When Puru asks, Michiru says Mu was a civilization that prospered about ten thousand years ago and, eventually, sunk into the ocean following a huge natural disaster.
Beecha has a hard time imagining such an old civilization building a mech but Kouji’s ready to counter that with the fact that Dr. Hell’s mechabeasts were all ancient relics that he excavated. Elle’s starting to feel that tech from way back when is a whole lot more impressive than what we have now; Roux is forced to agree.

Ryouma even adds that Raideen’s Akira will be joining us but Higashiyama said it’ll take a wee bit longer than originally expected. Michiru wonders if something’s going on in Mutropolis.
The important part, though, is that the Japanese Super Robot crew all fought alongside Raideen before and, back then, they all felt this peculiar aura from it. The same one they felt today in the Tokyo Jupiter bot. Does that mean it’s also a relic from some super ancient civilization?

No time to wonder that, as Kaine runs in, yelling in shock. Tap wonders if he finally got a message from his sweet Linda – he didn’t and Kaine immediately sulks that she’s probably forgotten about him already.
Puru asks and Light tells of the guy’s unrequited love, only for Kaine to cut in: “You shut your mouth! It’s totally gonna be requited any day now!”
So, what was he actually yelling about? Well, it looks like the Tokyo Jupiter robot has just been taken about TERRA’s carrier! Seems like getting the thing out the barrier was the actual goal of Operation Overlord, Ryouma realizes.
Light is a bit miffed that we, and the Federal troops, were all mobilized for something like that but, on the flip side, Hayato figures the thing must hold some major secret for TERRA to pull this huge feint in order to grab it.

: Are you feeling better, Hugo?
: Yeah… Everything’s fine now.
: But what happened there? Your hands just seized up.
: Just something of a spasm, that’s all. It happens every once in a while.
: (…A spasm?)
: “That’s all?” “Once in a while”? Are you joking? The Medius got away because of you, did it not?!
: And this is the first I’ve ever heard of any of this. Why didn’t you tell me before?
: Because there was no need to.
: Oh, no! You don’t get to give me that answer!
: You go on and on about how I should just let you handle all of the fighting when, actually, you’re a ticking time bomb! This is absurd!
: I don’t even know whether I should be impressed or shocked that you managed to go on piloting with your body like that!

MX Version:

: If you’ve a problem, then we can end this at any time. Just go and call it quits with the Garmraid.
: Where do you get off with that attitude, huh?! Alright, that does it – I’m not going anywhere!
: Yeah, that’s right! I’m staying right here and I’ll be hounding you until we finish our job!
: U-um… please stop fighting.
: Yeah; this is the infirmary, right?
: Ah… S-sorry.
: Will you at least let the doctor give you a full check-up?
: Thanks, but I’m fine.
: Better to be safe than sorry, don’t you think? Next time that happens, it might cost you a lot more than today.
: I… I know that.
: Why won’t you take the exam, then? You’re not going to tell us that you’re scared of needles or something, are you?
: Do I look like that much of a child to you?
: …Oh, my god. You’re way too crusty for someone younger than me.

MXP Version:

: (My body's not like this because I wanted to, alright...?)
: Aqua, I don't understand everything that's going on... but don't you think you're yelling a bit too much at him right now?
: I... was thinking the same.
: O-Oh, right... Sorry, Hugo.
: Forget about it. And it was my fault the Medius got away. I should be the one apologizing.
: ...
: Something the matter?
: No, nothing.
: (I was thinking he was way too crusty for someone younger... but maybe he's not actually like that?)
: Will you at least let the doctor give you a full check-up?
: Thanks but I’m fine.
: Better to be safe than sorry, don’t you think? Next time that happens, it might cost you a lot more than today.
: I… I know that.
: Why won’t you take the exam, then? You're not scared of needles or something, right?
: I'm way more scared of nagging old women.
: Whaa--?!
: (I take that back! He is crusty as all hell!)

Common ground:

: Then, Hugo, at least take some medicine with you.
: Thanks, but I got my own… And sorry for making you worry.

*Hugo leaves.*

: Hey! Where are you going?! Hold up!

*Off she goes.*

: …You think he’s really alright?
: He won’t let a doctor take a look, so there’s no way to tell.
: (But that symptom of his… Could it be a side effect of steroids or some painkiller?)
: (But he shouldn’t get like that unless the dosage is really high… Is he taking that much of it?)

And Misumaru’s just sent Bright our new orders: guarding Japan. Seems like the Far East command is worried about the Vegan attacks and the Dotems’ appearance.
What about delivering the D Weapons? Seems like Chongqing still isn’t ready to receive the things, so GHQ decided to leave them with Bright for a while to stall for time...

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Getter Q is available for a single mission in SRW3, and is fully playable in A/A Portable, though in that one, Musashi, Miyuki, and Lisa are also available as pilots, and both Getter and Getter G get converted to single-seat versions when Ryoma and crew upgrade, and with both Tekkou and Kochou Oni playable in their own mechs and Texas Mack on top of it, you've got the game with hands-down the most representation Getter has ever had, in that literally every possible protagonist robot is available (no Lady Commander, however, which is too bad, as it means you're forced to bench at least one of the Getter pilots, though Lisa can only be recruited if you take the Super Robot route*).

Though, don't get me started on A, it's just about as much of an oddball (in a good way) as MX when it comes to some of the side characters they included.

*Given that OG Supers are pretty much always cooler than reals, this is likely.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It's weird to see Misumaru active, IIRC he's supposed to be tied up with the Jovian trials/elections as Nergal and certain other factions try to keep him the hell away from the Bossun jump gate and anything else that might get him in contact with the Black Selene. Although, commanding ground ops around Tokyo Jupiter should do both of those things.

*edit*
Also, yes, the opening theme to the X-Men cartoon is playing in my head.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 16, 2016

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

After reading the 2nd OGs translation I'm surprised Aqua is already right the gently caress on Hugo and his many, many health problems in the original.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Hugo thinks that there's no need to inform his Co-Pilot, the person riding shotgun in his mech and who's life depends on his ability to pilot a giant robot, about his crippling medical condition that causes him to seize up at unpredictable times.

Our hero ladies and gentlemen! :wtc:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I think Getter Q may have been in the first Super Robot Wars, but I don't know if that one even counts as a SRW.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I feel like that whole sequence was just meant to be... experienced. Understanding may or may not follow.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I feel like that whole sequence was just meant to be... experienced. Understanding may or may not follow.

RahXephon keeps the spectator in as much confusion as Ayato himself... and MX adds to it by throwing Raideen into the mix. It'll make sense, eventually.

The next missions will keeps things simple and awesome, though.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
The Getter Dragon/Q team attack is adorable as gently caress and just about makes up for all the other team attacks we don't get in the game.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I'm not gonna lie, I really like Getter Q and I think it's because it gives Michiru something to pilot that isn't a jet.

EclecticTastes posted:

Getter Q is available for a single mission in SRW3, and is fully playable in A/A Portable, though in that one, Musashi, Miyuki, and Lisa are also available as pilots, and both Getter and Getter G get converted to single-seat versions when Ryoma and crew upgrade, and with both Tekkou and Kochou Oni playable in their own mechs and Texas Mack on top of it, you've got the game with hands-down the most representation Getter has ever had

See, this is why I still play A Portable despite how hard it is. I love Getter Robo and love having an army of Getters. Double Getter Beam, Triple Getter Beam and then the Stoner Sunshine Spark.

Also, who else ships Hugo and Aqua?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I dunno Hugo seems kind of like a massive dick and I think Aqua deserves better.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I'm talking with regards to later...and also the OG universe.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Aqua should hook up with someone closer to her age, like Zengar.

Yes, I'm saying Zengar is closer to Aqua's age than Hugo.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Ok then... I've seen many things in the post Rahxepxon battle script but I wasn't expecting a Devilman reference

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

The game allows us a choice of three missions here but this isn’t the usual route split – you’ll still have to do them all. Some events may change a wee bit depending on the order but, since they’re actually assigned a fixed number, I’ll follow Banpresto’s order.

Chief Shibuya is having a bad day, as Meteor reports that a group of Gulfer RoBeasts has just breached the Space Corps’ last defense line. What about GEAR’s defense satellites? Aiko, the operator, says all but 13% are still active and unable to halt the enemy’s advance.
Shibuya is dumbfounded that the enemy could break through so easily, as Meteor reports the first Federation fighter squadron beginning its attack run. Shibuya doesn’t seem too hopeful.

Professor Inoue posits that the invaders are presumably after the underground laboratory - it'd be best if they contacted the Federation to get permission to use "that".
Shibuya agrees, telling Inoue to make ready while he secures permission – when it comes, "Operation D" will begin. Furthermore, he asks Aiko to call Vega immediately.

As for Kirakuni, it’s time for him to get to work and he’s more than ready.
Shibuya asks Aiko what’s the currently location of the ship Misumaru told them about, the Nahel Argama? Patrolling and, currently, about half an hour away from here – he asks her to request our help.

We find the Kusanagi family, having just moved into town. Orie asks her son, Hokuto, how he likes their new home. He hasn’t formed an opinion, what with them moving in today, but she figures it’s a nice place to live. She’s eager to start her new job as manager at a local coffee shop, too.
Hokuto at least warns her to do so carefully, as she seems to get bruised in her jobs so often. She’s such a klutz.
Orie will keep that in mind but hopes he’ll soon be making many good friends and’ll come to like this town as well; that sounds good to Hokuto. Now, is there anywhere he’d like to go today? Yes but not before they’re done unpacking everything.
How about they see the sights around town after Keisuke, the husband, comes back from work? That works for Hokuto, who wants to go check out his new school – he’ll be starting there tomorrow, after all.

At school, we find Ginga busily practicing some martial art. Seems he’s lost to his mother again yesterday and is determined to win today. “And, someday, I’ll be an awesome martial artist like Kazuya Ryuzaki and the King of Hearts!” he says.
Off he goes, until he notices Hokuto watching – he’s curious about Ginga’s “weird dance”. “It’s not a dance, idiot! It’s Shorinji Kenpo!” Hokuto apologizes, though asks if he needed to call him names?
No matter, Ginga hasn’t seen him before and asks who he’s talking to. Hokuto explains that he’s just moved over when Orie comes over, happy to see he’s already making friends. That’s interrupted, though, when she gets a page that startles her. When Hokuto asks, she just says a small problem’s come up.

Orie needs to take off for a bit, so she asks the kids to head home right now – yes, even Ginga and he doesn’t know why. As she leaves, neither Hokuto nor Ginga understand what just happened. Regardless, they exchange introductions; Ginga finds Hokuto Kusanagi to be a weird name. What’s his, then? “Ginga Izumo – as in, galaxy, see? Pretty cool name, eh?” he boasts; “Hmm… Nope, it’s weird,” Hokuto answers appropriately.
Before Ginga can get in his face, the air raid siren bellows across town – can the Giganos be attacking here? Time to head home, as they were told.

As they do so, both kids start getting miffed that the other is “following them”. Slowly it dawns on them that they’re neighbors.
But, then, they’ve a problem: Ginga’s family hasn’t returned from shopping and Hokuto’s mom is nowhere to be found. The crisis is compounded by a robot, one Ginga’s never seen before, dropping nearby and firing everywhere. And it’s coming their way!

Mission 4 – Blue Miracle

Aiko reports that one of the Gulfer’s RoBeasts has descended upon town and is indiscriminately attacking. The civilian evacuation is almost complete, but Meteor reports that the Federation’s fighter squadron is now down to half – it’s only a matter of time before more arrive here.
What about Kirakuni? Has he boarded “it” yet? No, Aiko says he’s still en route, having to reach his destination on foot as the Gulfer’s attack has made other modes of transportation out of the question. Inoue grumbles that he knew they should’ve made some underground secret passages for the pilots like the Science Fortress Lab has.
No point in grumbling about that now and, to make things worse, the Nahel Argama is still ten minutes out. Shibuya sees they’ll need to hold the line for that long as asks for Vega’s status.
She’s currently heading into the scene with her Valkyrie.

Vega’s already heading over, worried that the RoBeast is headed to a certain place. Worst case scenario, she’ll to pilot “it” by herself.
Up ahead, the monster is heading over to Hokuto and Ginga’s spot. Vega’s shocked that some people still haven’t been evacuated.

The RoBeast bombards a stadium, splash damage hitting around the kids.
In their confusion, the kids yell out in unison.

*Ruuuuumble*

: H-Huh?!
: Th-The Dendoh’s activated!
: Kirakuni’s done it!
: No, the cockpit’s empty!
: What?!
: It’s a r-r-robot?!
: A Mobile Suit…? No, it’s something else!
: Think it’s something like the Mazinger or Daimos?!
: Maybe…But I’ve never seen that one before.

*The Dendoh walks over to them.*

: Ack! It moved!
: Waaaaaaaah!!
: The Dendoh’s…!
: Let me go!!
: What’s with this thing?!
: What the hell? It’s picked up those kids!
: Kirakuni, what’s happening? Report!
: Some kids! Two of them were taken into the Dendoh’s cockpit!
: What?!
: Did you just say “kids”?!
: This is…! Ginga?!
: You’re in here, too, Hokuto?
: W-We got caught, I think…
: What now, chief?! I can’t get on!
: How did this happen?!
: Maybe… the Dendoh’s chosen those two.
: Vega…!
: We can only hope now. Give me a video feed of the cockpit, please – I’ll talk to them.
: Alright.
: drat it…! Let me out!
: (I knew it… this is that robot’s cockpit, right?)

*Transmission start*

: What?! It’s him…? Why?!

: Uwaah! What the hell! What’s going on?!
: Easy! Calm down, already! The attacks aren’t hurting us at least…!
: So what?! Why do I gotta be stuck here in the first place?!
: Hey, I don’t want to be here either! But screaming isn’t helping!
: If we don’t scream, then no one’s gonna come save us!
: Shush! I already got a huge headache without you yelling at my ear!
: Didn’t you just hear what I said, you idiot?!
: There you go, calling me an idiot again! That’s twice now!
: When did I say that, huh? You got me on record? Tell me the specific year, month, day, hour, minute and second where I said that!
: It was just a bit ago! We met today!
: Kids! Hey!
: Huh?!
: Who’s that?! Do you see us?!
: I do. You’re both inside the cockpit of the Gear Fighter Dendoh.
: Dendoh?!
: It knew it… it’s that thing’s…
: I’m certain you’re both very confused right – honestly, we all are. But now we can only rely on you two – there’s no other option.
: Rely on us for what?

: Stand up straight, both of you! Count to three, and put one foot in front of the other as you do!
: One! Two! Three!

*Dendoh takes a step forward.*

*Another one!*

: That’s it – just like that! Alternate your left and right feet!
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2542414/KirakuniNormal].png[/IMG]: The Dendoh’s walking…!
: Hey, this isn’t too hard…

: Ah?!

: They… walked right past it…?
: HEEEEEEEY! Where are you going?!
: Huh? Aren’t we supposed to do this and run?

: No! The Dendoh’s a Gear Fighter! What would you use it for, if not fighting?!
: Huuuuuh?!
: You want us to fight?!
: I do. Do you see something like a handheld game in front of you?
: Yes, but…
: That’s a Gear Commander! Punch in the following code into it: Drive A once, LR twice, LL once, enter! Then plug it into the dashboard!
: OK! Hurry, Ginga!
: Errm, LL once… there!

*Beeooop!*

:dance: :dance: :dance:

: Here you go!
: Ah, I see how it is! This is an installer!
: Yes, that’s right!
: And an “installer” is…?
: A device to input commands into a computer.
: Hm. It’s with it that you’ll be able to send orders to the turbines on the Dendoh’s hands and feet. The hands are A, left foot is LL…
: Don’t worry – I’ve got it figured out already!
: Um, Hokuto…
: Hey, Ginga, remember that Kenpo technique you were doing before? Try that one!
: You serious?!
: Yeah, we have to do something with that thing! If we don’t, it’ll destroy everything – including the town and its people!
: We can do it! I know we’ll be fine!
: That’s right, you will!
: OK, here goes!

Aah, another of my favorite series in this game. Dendoh’s just a bundle of fun, made as both a show meant to sell toys and a love letter to Super Robot tropes.
The units are pretty dang good, too!

Valkyrie (Vega)
Pilot Skills:
  • Leadership
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Attack L2
Spirit Commands:
  • Focus (15)
  • Fury/Direct Hit (30) – the next attack will bypass any defensive measures, like supports and barriers
  • Bless (45) – Target unit earns double money from the next battle
  • Confuse (55) – reduce all enemies’ hit rate in half for the next turn
Mech Features:
  • Water Movement – instead of sinking, this unit treats water tiles like they’re ground
Vega’s Voice Actress: Kotono Mitsuishi (Other known works: Misato, Usagi/Sailor Moon, Mai Shiranui, Rinko Iori, Murrue, SF’s Cammy and a billion more. She is everywhere.)

Combine the TFO’s untouchability, with some nice support spirits and surprising mook-hunting powers and you’ve a pretty impressive unit. Vega cannot be touched unless the RNG REALLY dislikes you because, on most enemies, their chances to hit her will be in the single digits.
Her stats are nice and her high Skill, paired with a big modifier in her weapons, makes her very likely to score crits, and she’s also incredibly accurate. The sole problem I can see is that her attacks are limited if you’re up against aerial enemies: she’ll be stuck using her missiles and they’re not post-movement. So, you either slap a Minovsky Craft on that bike, buy her Hit & Away or let others take some kills when you’re fighting mostly flying folks.
And always remember to swear your undying fealty to Kotono Mitsuishi.

Gear Fighter Dendoh (Ginga Izumo, Hokuto Kusanagi)
Pilot Skills – Ginga:
  • Prevail L2
  • Support Attack L1
  • Fighting Spirit – Starting morale +5
Pilot Skills – Hokuto:
  • Prevai L2
  • Support Defense L1]
  • Assisted Attack L1
Spirit Commands – Ginga:
  • Guts (30)
  • Strike (20)
Spirit Commands – Hokuto:
  • Focus (15)
  • Iron Wall (30)
Ginga’s Voice Actress: Youko Matsuoka (other known works: Titania in VOTOMS, Daichi in Granzort, Karl Lichter in Future GPX and some others)
Hokuto’s Voice Actress: Naomi Shindou (other known works: Cagalli in SEED, Irene in Valkyria Chronicles, Califa in One Piece and many others)

Though I last played this game ages ago, I always remember getting a ton of mileage out of the Dendoh. It’s got some very unique mechanics about it (which will see later), making it tremendously flexible. It’s range isn’t the greatest but it’s serviceable and we’ll get ways around that later, of course.
Ginga’s the main pilot right now, though you can set Hokuto as the main during intermission; their stats are rather similar, though Ginga has a slight edge on offense. The Dendoh can also be very bulky, especially since Hokuto knows Iron Wall – with some extra skills, he can keep that command running for quite a long while.
Dendoh’s one of the more common event deployments, FYI, so you’ll need to put it to use like it or not. Even without that, I’d still use it since it’s quite the good unit (and it can be a broken one, depending on how sassy you’re feeling).

Let’s have Vega set this up for the kids. By the way, she’s 100%/3% against the Gulfer, without any sort of bonus.

: Gulfer… The time has finally come for us to fight! And I will make sure those two, and the Dendoh, are kept safe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjpagHrTzIc
Seems like Master Asia had more than one student.

Only one attack for the kids right now.

: Here we go, Ginga!
: Right on! We can’t let this thing wreck any more of our town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wicW_PAJYzA
Whereas Ginga is Kenshiro Jr. Do note that the pose at the end is a dynamic finish but, unlike Alpha 2, enemies here don’t die midscene.

: Whew…
: Somehow we made it…
: Very well done, you two!

*Alarm!

: The Federal army’s fighter squadron has failed to repel the enemy. Gulfer RoBeasts encroaching upon Hoshimi’s airspace.
: Their main force is here…!

This guy’s called Devil Saturn 6 (playing on God Mars). He speaks in Kansai! And I had to replace it with something, as some lines directly reference him having an accent, so…

: The energy reading wis comin' fae aroond 'ere… Och, pinheid may be in charge but ‘e’s a proper slave driver, ‘e is. If ‘e wants something, ‘e ought tae go an’ git it ‘imself.
: But… Ah ken that’s nae happening, with ‘im busy digging oan the moon.
: Wh-what?!
: Those aren’t Gulfer… Who are they?!
: Do you think they’re enemies too?
: Crivens! Is that the Kenryuu?! Wot’s it doing ‘ere?!
: Huh? I think he’s shocked to see us?
: Psh, that goes both ways.
: Eh? Hmm? Nae, it’s something else noo that Ah look at it.
: Och, Ah was worried thare fer a jiffy. Thooght ‘e ‘ad shoon up, Ah did.
: Erm… Uh, oh… Speak o’ the devil an’ ‘e’ll appear… If ballheid actually did, it’d be a big problem. Ahm proper tired o’ going’ throo’ that again ‘n’ again.
: Aah, 'n’ fair warning! If yer git’n’ yer hopes up, don’t! ‘E willnae be coming ‘ere! Honest!
: Who’s he talking to…?
: OK! Time ta git ta wirk! Spondoolies 'n’ coommander renks are as good as oors!
: They’re coming! Heads up, you two!
: We have to fight them too?!
: How many times will I have to tell you? Yes!
: B-But…
: Are you serious?!
: How are supposed to fight all these enemies, then? Is there anything we can use? Like a missile launcher or beam rifle? Or a sword, a bow, a yo-yo, some big hammer or even a guitar? Do we have any weapons? (In MXP, he also asks for a boomerang, a chainsaw and/or blue feathers.)
: …No.
: Whaaaaat?!
: (At least, not now… but we’ll just have to make do.)
: Install the command SP1 with your Gear Commander!
: OK!
: Here goes!
: SP1! Command INSTALL!!

*Beeooop!*

And, with that, the Dendoh’s gained some cool new attacks… but we can’t move this round!
Also, you’ve no idea how troublesome it was to write Devil Saturn’s lines… That said, I had a huge grin on my face as I did. And if anyone asks why an alien would have a Scottish accent, I’d like you, first, to answer me why he’d have a Kansai accent.

Enemy Phase!

Two piddly Gulfers come over, scratch Dendoh’s paint job for 50-ish damage and get promptly trounced.

Everything else stays put or moves out of attack range.

Player Phase!

The Nahel Argama has finally arrived, much to Shibuya’s relief. Kaine has no idea what creatures these are and, if anything, Judau figures they’re not Earth-made.
Inwardly, Duke sees that, as he feared, they’ve finally came to this world.

Devil Saturn 6
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L2
  • Support Attack L1
Mech Features:
  • Debuff Immunity
Devil Saturn 6’s Voice Actor: Kenichi Ono (Other known works: Sanger in various SRW, Prospector in Nadesico, Shirota in Dai-Guard and many more)

The standard Super Robot midboss, like Balendos: he’s a wee bit resilient and hits decently hard. His strongest attack has a rather big accuracy modifier, so he might pull some not-insignificant numbers against your non-TFO/Vega units.

Puru Two weakened one of Saturn’s Falgos mooks, so Puru moves in for the kill.

They’re only slightly beefier than the Gulfer.

Might as well give some love to the other ZZ kids… not that they’re getting significant exp from these lower level enemies.

Boom.
Elsewhere, Tap and Elle take out one of the new RoBeasts.

There’s no problem in sending Light to the front here – only Saturn would be getting decent numbers on him and he’s far away.

Vega finishes the job, with a big crit overkill.

And Hayato nearly oneshots a Gulfer. That’s a kill for Judau.

Enemy Phase!

I confess that I didn’t expect him to move right away, so Judau isn’t packing any defensive measures!

: Urgh, we’ve got a whole parade of weirdoes coming to our world!
: We didn’t come all the wey ‘ere fer a laugh, laddie! This is business!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXx8r1IrKU0
It never ceases to impress me how different he sounds from Sanger.

Judau kills one and Puru Two weaken another two mooks.

Player Phase!

Beecha and Iino kill said mooks.

Alright, let’s give the Getter Q its time in the spotlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiz01LkpZIw
It’s not too strong… Puru finishes the job.

Only Devil Saturn left, so let’s get to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajD9JjzIAWw
And here’s his strongest attack.[/i]

: Onybody who gits in oor wey’s as gud as deid!
: Hey, that’s a Scottish accent? Let’s see about that…
: … Hoo are ye?
: Nae baud, yersel?
: Whoa… this guy’s actually legit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DfTr_6-cps
And here’s what happens when you pull an Assisted Attack. Everyone is stuck at L1 right now, meaning only one unit can be brought in, but it can go up to L4 – consider this your first iteration of TRI Attacks and Maximum Breaks.

: Yer looks are really confusing me! Ahm gunna turn yer head into a floor sitter!
: Wow… the alien’s got a Scottish accent…?
: This isn’t the time to be amazed, Ginga!
: I-I know, I know! Just make sure you keep up with my moves!
: Y-Yeah!
: Eh?! Is this laddie a Tenkuu Chuushin Ken fighter tae?!
: Nah, this is Shorinji Kenpo! Get that in your head, ya funny alien!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWEAsIiXy8

: This thing is absolutely not an Earth-made mech!
: Ye got a lot ae stones ta fight us in that wee frisbee!
: An alien with a Scottish accent? Now that’s a great story for Danbei!

: Galactic Crime Syndicate Gyandolar! You will not have your way with Earth!
: Bless me antennas! Is that the Grendizer?! It wis in this planit?!
: Wot luck! If we manage ta git oor ‘ands on Planit Fleed’s treasure, we’ll be swimming in points!

: Looks like we’ve even more extraterrestrial visitors!
: drat it – they’re a new group of invaders, then?!
: Come on, Hayato, Benkei! We’ve nothing to fear if our three hearts are united!
: Tae bad fer ye, thare are six herts all in 'ere! We’ve got ye beat two tae one!

He drops a Biosensor, which boosts mobility by 10.

Devil Saturn isn’t happy as he had a perfect chance to win since “he” didn’t show up today. He explodes and runs off.
Ginga and Hokuto finally breathe a sigh of relief but, right then, the Dendoh runs out of power. The folks at GEAR had yet to set up anything for it, so the bot only had its auxiliary energy to use. Shibuya orders a recovery beacon launched right away.

At the Skull Moon base, Gandal is being informed of a new arrival on the exact opposite side of the moon. It's an immense fortress, the Spiral Castle, and Gandal's folks recognize its owners all too well – the Gulfer, enemies of all life in the universe.
Bracky relates how they were quick in something some RoBeasts down to Earth but they were all destroyed by Duke Fleed’s group. They haven’t attacked the Vegans yet but Gandal isn’t surprised, as their shield should still keep them invisible. Which means they can sit back for a while and see what happens.

At said castle, Devil Saturn finishes reporting what happened and all Giga Gurumei heard is that he failed and fled from the earthlings with his tail between his legs. Deondra, herself, isn’t sympathetic and chides him for bringing shame to the Gyandolar.
Saturn apologizes to “sis”, earning him another round of yelling: he’s supposed to call her with an appropriately respectable title!

Giga Witter, a floating ball thingy, knows that it is by the Gulfer Emperor’s command that they’re using the Gyandolar but, still, is appalled by their incompetency. Deondra fires back that they’re here as their collaborators and ONLY because the Gyandolar boss, Gades, wanted so.
Regardless, Giga Absolute knows that they’re all after the same thing: the Data Weapons. Deondra admits it but wants them to honor the alliance forged between their leaders. Absolute sneers are hearing a space criminal speak of such things.

Their bickering is interrupted by the core of the Spiral Castle itself – the problem they should focus on is the Dendoh, whom none of them expected to be in this world. Their empire has long been searching for it, the one lost GEAR.
And if it's on Earth, the Data Weapons must be there too as they are connected to the GEARs. Thankfully, it doesn’t appear that either it or the earthlings have managed to get their hands on any of the Sacred Electronic Beasts yet. Spiral Castle orders the plan to annihilate mankind suspended and all efforts made to find the Data Weapons. Furthermore, he wants the three generals of the Gulfer to send their ‘chips’ – in the form of humans – to Earth in order to help with the search.

Absolute (Red hair), Gurumei (green suit) and Witter stand surprised that the humans apparently have the same appearance as the Arktos people. Regardless, they’re ready to serve… and also have a speech impediment that makes them append odd suffixes to their phrases.
Regardless, off they go to look for the Data Weapons and Deondra inwardly notes that they must hurry as well.

At GEAR HQ, Shibuya introduces himself to Bright and thanks him for our timely support; it was only thanks to it that they repelled the enemy. Bright is humble but would like to ask a few questions – just like the kids, Shibuya figures. Right then, Kirakuni brings in Hokuto and Ginga and Bright now understands that they’re the pilot of the blue robot.
On the chief’s request, the kids introduce themselves and ask for info regarding this place. Inoue explains that GEAR is a secret organization meant to safeguard Earth from the Gulfer – an empire of machines bent on exterminating all life. And, of course, the Dendoh is the bot they made to face them. Ginga gets that but still doesn’t understand why THEY need to pilot it.

: Chief, allow me to explain the rest.
: That voice… Are you…!
: …!
: The woman who was talking to us in the cockpit?!
: Yes, I am, Ginga, Hokuto.
: (Her voice is so much like mom’s…)
: Hey, wait a minute…
: Y-yes…?
: Are you copying Char, the Red Comet, with that mask?
: Huh?!
: (Well, now that you mention it…)
: N-no. This visor’s a very important piece of equipment for my missions.

But, regardless, Vega introduces herself as GEAR’s vice-leader and requests that they bring their Gear Commanders together.
When they do, both things start giving some light – a far stronger reaction than Kirakuni and Vega got. She says that only those who can bring forth that light from the Gear Commanders are capable of piloting the Dendoh And the strength of the light will become the Dendoh's strength.
Mind you, they don’t know why the Dendoh chose Hokuto and Ginga as its pilots; however, she does know that they are necessary for the Dendoh to reach its full potential and save the Earth from the Gulfer.
To put it simply: GEAR needs them to use the Dendoh and lead the fight against the Gulfer. Ginga and Hokuto are obviously shocked at having such a request made of them, while Bright ponders the situation that requires other kids like Judau and crew to take to the field.

Hokuto wants to why they need them and the Dendoh when there already are so many strong robots around; furthermore, Ginga wants to know why the Gulfer are even attacking us.
Inoue reiterates: machine empire, bent on exterminating ALL life. They’ve wrecked a bunch of planets in the past and ours is next on the list; furthermore, the mighty Gulfer have been further empowered by their alliance with the Gyandolar. And to top it all off, they’ve already set up shop on the Moon.
“Then this is really impossible for us! We can’t do anything against that!” Hokuto yells. “We’re ordinary elementary school students! How can kid like us fight an empire of machines?!”
“But… We pulled it off just now, no?” Ginga finally speaks up. Hokuto doesn’t think they can do it again but Ginga does. For whatever reason, they were chosen by the Dendoh – that’s got to mean this is something they CAN do, no?

Hokuto isn’t convinced they can do anything but Ginga isn’t willing to agree with that before even trying. How can he call himself a man, acting like that?! Hokuto yells back that Ginga has no idea how terrible something like combat is, and Ginga yells back that he does but can’t just turn his back on it all.

”Aaargh, ENOUGH with your blah, blah, blah! You kids are so noisy!” Vega snaps.
As Shibuya, Bright, Kirakuni, Hokuto and Ginga stand daunted, she quickly recovers and apologizes. Vega tells Hokuto that she understands how he feels – yet it's also the truth that the Dendoh chose him and that everyone needs his help. Furthermore, to Ginga, she says that being chosen does not change the danger of this battle.
Shibuya leaves it to them to make this decision and Ginga doesn’t really see a choice, lest his friends and hometown end up a victim of the Gulfer. Furthermore, he gives Hokuto some words from his mother: “righteousness without strength is powerlessness; strength without righteousness is violence". They’ve got some strength of their own now, so he wants to use it for what’s right.

Vega tells Hokuto to have faith in both himself and in Dendoh and the kid finally agrees. He’ll pilot the bot as a way to protect his family and everyone else from the Gulfer. Shibuya thanks them both and, with that decided, turns to Bright with a request: take the kids and Dendoh onto the Argama, as a way of them gaining experience.
Shibuya knows, considering the situation of the world, that GEAR can’t limit themselves to fighting just the Gulfer.

Hokuto is a bit uneasy about fighting other humans but Shibuya tells him that there are many groups right now trying to dominate the world. Those groups, like the Gulfer, threaten the peace of the Earth Sphere.
To set Hokuto’s mind at ease, Vega points out that modern mobile weapons all come equipped with high performance ejection systems. Thus, unless he hits the cockpit directly, the pilots will be safe. With that, Shibuya asks Inoue to see that the Dendoh’s brought to the Nahel Argama and the professor calls the kids to follow.
As they leave, Bright turns to Shibuya with a dark cloud above his face. The chief understands, also feeling ill at ease at the thought of sending kids off to battle; however, having been chosen by the Dendoh, this is something neither of them can avoid.
What does that mean? Vega explains that the Gulfer will be after them, and the bot, now and should they get their hands on them, all life in the galaxy will be finished. This has Bright demanding to know what the Dendoh has within it to pull that off, and Vega promises to tell him when the time is right. And, with that in mind, she'll be joining the children aboard the ship.

Aboard the ship, our folks are giving the Dendoh a look over. Aqua ponders that it is quite different from an Earth-made unit, what with the turbines on its limbs. And, judging from what we saw in the last battle, it seems to be a melee-focused robot just like the Mobile Fighters.
Kaine also mentions how the pilots are about the same age as the Purus… eliciting a startled reaction from Aqua. Speaking of, the Purus are showin Ginga and Hokuto around the ship and they’re surprised to see that their mech has already been brought aboard. Puru Two does wonder what’s with that open hatch in the Dendoh’s back but neither kid knows what it is.
Kaine and Kouji like seeing the kiddies all getting along so quickly but Aqua is off in her own, panicked, inner monologue: “Those children are the Dendoh’s pilots…? And I heard that the soon-to-arrive pilot of the Raideen, Akira Hibiki, is a high-schooler… Are we really not going to get any pilots around my age?!”

Inoue and Aiko then arrive, having taken a wee bit more time than anticipated to bring the Hyper Dendoh Batteries aboard. With these plugged in, there’ll be no risk with today’s event repeating.
“Wait, what?! The Dendoh runs on batteries?!” Hokuto balks. “But don’t robots nowadays all run on stuff like solar power?” Ginga adds.
Inoue admits that they considered that but were worried about what’d happen at night, or on snowy or rainy days. With these, the only problem is keeping them recharged. Aqua’s still a bit concerned, as mobile weapons burn through energy like no one’s business – even the Garmraid’s own auxiliary power supply empties out pretty quick.

Inoue says that this will suffice for the Dendoh right now – causing Aqua to wonder about that “now” bit. Everything’s interrupted when Kirakuni comes over to pick up Ginga and Hokuto – if they’re going to be working on this poo poo from now on, they need to explain all this to their moms (though they can’t talk about the Dendoh or Gulfer, of course).
Kaine approves of them being nice to their mothers whenever they’re together – they ought to or they’ll regret it later. Seems like he’s speaking from experience and, indeed, Kaine’s own mom went missing while he was fighting the Giganos. Still, she’s a very fierce woman so he’s sure she is safe – somewhere.
By that description, Ginga already has a very clear idea of what kind of person Kaine’s mother is. When Hokuto asks, Ginga tells him he'll find out soon enough.

Back in the city, Ginga's mom Midori gets ready to scold Ginga for doing something so bad that not the police, but the army wants to haul him in. Who did he fight this time? She did not teach him Kenpo for stuff like that!
Ginga swears he did no such thing but, then, what’s this soldier doing in their home? They want to explain that, if only she’d stop yelling and listen to Kirakuni! And, indeed, Hokuto already sees that Ginga was talking about.
Midori demands a confession but Orie steps in and calmly argues that the kid seems to be telling the truth. Kirakuni stammers a story about the kids being selected for the army’s new science trainee program! They’ll be touring the world, visiting various different laboratories and experiencing the latest technology! Plus, this will count as part of their school year so their learning won’t be impaired.
Midori asks if it’ll be safe and Kirakuni stammers more. Ginga begs her to let him go, which only strikes her as weird – since when does he care so much about his studies? Kirakuni is sweating bucket against this sharp mother but Ginga insists that he’s totally serious.

After a brief staredown, Midori agrees to let him go if he wants to so much. Furthermore, she turns to Kirakuni and tells him she’ll give him the lecture of his life if anything happens to Ginga.
As for Orie, she asks what Hokuto wants to do. He, of course, wants to go along and she easily agrees as well. With that, Kirakuni will be back to pick them up tomorrow and takes off.
Ginga’s little sister steps over and he tells her to be good while he’s away on his trip. She agrees, on condition that he buys her a souvenir: a stuffed lion! Sounds good and, considering his imminent departure, Midori figures she’ll make his favorite for dinner tonight. Ginga's not one bit happy about lying to his mom, but he knows it’s for a good cause...
Orie and Hokuto will be taking off as well and Midori apologizes for not being able to be more hospitable at the moment. That’s no problem, what with Ginga helping watch over her son. Sounds good and Midori asks that Hokuto do the same in return.

Back at their home, Orie remembers Ginga as the kid they met at school – Hokuto figures they’ll be good friends. But, either way, she wants to know if Hokuto really wants to go on this tour. She will not force him to do one thing or another, so he’s free to choose.
Hokuto admits that he’s not 100% sure about this but that’s why he’ll be with Ginga. Furthermore, he feels that it is something he has to do. Orie will say no more, then, but wants him to remember that he’ll always be in her thoughts.
With that, she’ll also be making his favorite stew for dinner.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 11, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: How are supposed to fight all these enemies, then? Is there anything we can use? Like a missile launcher or beam rifle? Or a sword, a bow, a yo-yo, some big hammer or even a guitar? Do we have any weapons?
: …No.
: Whaaaaat?!

:allears: It's great how well versed these kids are in mecha anime and/or actual mechas. Especially Hokuto, who doesn't seem the type.

And the part where they get the Dendoh to walk towards the enemy, the music swells triumphantly, and then they just stomp right past it is just about the most hysterical thing I've ever seen in a mecha anime. I'm really looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ok I know this probably isn't the case but I can't not picture it as two kids being given video game controllers.

• Locked thread