Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Welcome to the world of Super Robot Wars MX - where every problem can be solved with an application of robotic fisticuffs!

What game is this?
Super Robot Wars (SRW) MX was the third game of the series to be released on the Playstation 2 and, while the series has a couple of Original Generation games localized (and a few others received English patches), it is completely understandable if you’ve never heard of it.
SRW games are, essentially, massive crossovers of mecha anime that have been built around a solid strategy game – all the different stories are tied together by an original plot. It's celebrating its 25th anniversary now, in 2016! :toot:

The difficulty in SRW games tends to vary quite a bit. Some games are notoriously difficult (A Portable, the Winkysoft-era games), while others are a massive cakewalk - like this one! Do note that this only applies to the PS2 version as this game has also been released in the PSP, where it made some decent changes to the original plot and gave a 50% HP boost to all enemies. Not the speediest game, that.
Still, I'll be translating the plot of both PS2 and PSP versions, indicating where things differ within the updates themselves.

Why LP this game?
I’m coming into this straight out of LPing W and, then, Z, so I figured I’d keep trudging along by tackling another game I love. Plus, I want give others a thorough display of all that it has.
Lastly, it was either this or Alpha and I’d rather not face that beast after going through a game as huge as Z!

What series can be found here?
The list is quite varied, though it should also be mentioned that quite a few are actually post-plot. That doesn’t mean they won’t be doing anything, mind – far from it!
In essence, this game is a spiritual successor to the infamous SRW Impact; most series' events referenced as having already happened in this world played out in that game. It has a summary available, so you can take a swing at it… if you do, go with my pity (100+ stages!).

Here is what is available here:
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (only a small tidbit, FYI)
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • Mazinger Z
  • Great Mazinger
  • UFO Robo Grendizer
  • Getter Robo G
  • Brave Leader Daimos
  • Raideen the Brave
  • Metal Armor Dragonar
  • Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos
  • Hades Project Zeorymer
  • Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness ( :argh: )
  • GEAR Fighter Dendoh
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • RahXephon

How will you play this game?
While this game hasn't had an English release it, like a good bunch of other SRWs, had a story summary done by Mark Neidengard. As I did in W and Z, I will be using that guide as a baseline and expanding upon it with a translation of my own.
This will be a mainly screenshot-based Let’s Play, with videos for attacks and important scenes.

:siren: Finally: the story is half of the fun in these games. As such, while series spoilers are allowed as long as they are tagged, original story spoilers are OFF LIMITS. :siren:

Mission List:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ye Olde Super Robot Discoteque

1) Banpresto Original

• Hugo’s theme – Burning Red

• Medius’ theme – Crying Black

• Medius' other theme - Medius Locus

• Aqua's theme - Dancing Blue

• Garmraid Blaze's theme - Let's Ignition!

• Cerberus Ignite's theme - Watchdog of Hell

• "Time to kick rear end" theme - Fight for Tomorrow (Ver. MX)

• Final Boss Theme

• Big Goddamn Heroes theme - Victory (Ver. MX)

• JAM Project - Victory

• JAM Project - The Promised Land

2) UFO Robot Grendizer

• Kouji, Hikaru, Maria and Duke’s theme – The Ruler of Space, Grendizer

• FDS Theme - Go Forth, Robot Army!

• Isao Sasaki - Go Forth, Robot Army!

3) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

• Judau, Elle, Roux, Beecha, Mondo, Iino, Puru, Puru Two and Nahel Argama's theme - Judau in Space

4) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

• Hyaku Shikis and Zeta Gundam's theme - Enemy Raid ~ Mobile Suit Battle

• Amuro and Re-GZ's theme - Segment III - Sally

5) Metal Armor Dragonar

• Kaine, Tap and Light's theme - Dream-Colored Chaser

• Event Theme - Dragonar Custom

• Mami Ayukawa - Dream-Colored Chaser

• Mami Yamase - Starlight Serenade

6) Neon Genesis Evangelion

• Asuka, Shinji, Rei's theme - Decisive Battle

• Asuka, Shinji, Rei, Touji's other battle theme - NERV

• Berserk EVA-01 theme - The Beast II

• "Trauma, Incoming" theme - Angel Attack

• Unison Kick theme - Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!

• Über Trauma theme - Symphony nº 9, 4th movement in D Minor

• Big event theme - Soul's Refrain

• Yoko Takahashi - Soul's Refrain

• Yoko Takahashi - Cruel Angel's Thesis

• Asuka's ACTUAL theme - Red Ambassador (movie version)

• Asuka's "Trauma, Incoming" theme - Hallelujah Chorus - Handel's Messiah

• Evangelion's OP - Cruel Angel's Thesis - Instrumental (Made by Yukiuki in Nico)

7) Getter Robo G

• Getter, Getter Q's theme - The Indestructible Machine, Getter Robo

8) RahXephon

• RahXephon's event theme - The Chariot

• RahXephon, Haruka and Elvy's theme - Hemisphere

• Another event theme - Quantum Corridor

• :qq: event theme - The Second Sorrow

• Maaya Sakamoto - Hemisphere

9) GEAR Fighter Dendoh

• Dendoh's Event theme - Fight, Dendoh

• Ginga, Hokuto, Eris, Kirakuni and Vega's theme - W-Infinity

• Another Event Theme - Kiba's Pulse

• Dendoh's Insert Song - Over the Rainbow

• Dendoh OST - The Emperor's Pet

• Little Voice - Over the Rainbow

• Hitomi Mieno & Hironobu Kageyama - W-Infinity

10) Mobile Fighter G Gundam

• Domon, Fuunsaiki, Sai, Argo, George, Chibodee, Kyral, Rain and Allenby's theme - The Strongest Card ~ King of Hearts

• Domon's special attacks' theme - My Mind is Clear and Serene ~ Though My Palm is a Raging Fire

• Shuffle Alliance's Super Mode attacks' theme - Flaring Fighting Spirit ~ Overcoming a Detestable Fate

• :ssj: theme - The Victors' Elegy

• G Generation Wars - Fly in the Sky

• Yoshifumi Ushima - Fly in the Sky

• Yoshifumi Ushima - Trust You Forever

• Another Century's Episode - Trust You Forever

11) Hades Project Zeorymer

• Zeorymer's theme - Awaken, Zeorymer

• Event theme - Sortie at Dawn

• Zeorymer OST - Awaken, Zeorymer

12) Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos

• Theme of sudden interjections - The Emissary from the Heavens

• Rom, Jet, Drill, Jim and Leina's Theme - The Triumphant Machine Robo

• Masato Shimon - The Triumphant Machine Robo

13)Raideen the Brave

• Akira, Mari's theme - God and Demon

14) Mazinger Z

• Kouji, Boss, Sayaka's theme - Our Mazinger Z

15) Nadesico: Prince of Darkness

Black Sarana's theme - Black Sarana III

• Nadesico B, Ryouko, Hikaru, Izumi and Saburouta's theme - Go, Aestivalis!

• Exposition theme - Nadesico Q&A

16) Great Mazinger

• Tetsuya and Jun's theme - The Hero, Mazinger

• Ichiro Mizuki - I Am Great Mazinger

17) Brave Leader Daimos

• Kazuya and Kyoshiro's theme - Rise, Brave Leader Daimos!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Here are our two protagonists: Hugo Medio and Aqua Centrum. Unlike MX’s predecessor, Alpha 2, you don’t get to choose – both are coming with us. Oddly enough, they take the time to point out the characters’ age, even though you can’t change it: Hugo is 20 while Aqua is 23.
It should also be noted that this game skipped custom birthdays for special spirit commands (I’ll get to these soon, if you’re not familiar). Still, Hugo and Aqua’s default lists complement each other very well.

What you DO get to choose, however, is the unit they’ll pilot. Do you want Garmraid, the close-range Super Robot of fangs in its rocket punches and saw blades in its knees (you do), or Cerberus, the long-range Real Robot with a big gun (boo!)?
The story is 95% the same regardless of the unit you choose, though the first two missions change. I’ll be playing through both these first ones and then progressing with Garmraid through the rest of the game – no, you don’t get to object! I love this ridiculous mech!

It’s possible to alter the mech’s name, too, but I’ll stick with the default ones.

And here’s our cool team.

Finally, you may choose one series as your favorite (three in the PSP version) and all units of those series will enjoy a 50% boost to exp, money and PP earned while also getting two extra upgrade bars.
I had a vote when Z was ending and the thread went for G Gundam.

With that done, let’s get to it.

:siren: Do note that if you're on the PSP version of this game, you'll want to check THIS prologue. There are quite a lot of differences. :siren:

Seventy years after the inception of the Space Calendar, a series of events irreparably shook the fate of mankind.
Creatures from a parallel world, the “MU”, suddenly appeared in the skies above Tokyo and engaged in battle with forces of the Earth Federation. This conflict, expected to become a world-encompassing war, reached an abrupt end when the MU erected an unknown sphere around the area, centered on Tokyo's bay, shutting themselves inside.

Right after, a large asteroid struck the South Pole – a catastrophe later dubbed the "Second Impact" – which inflicted immense destruction on mankind and threw the Earth Sphere into chaos.

Mankind weathered the "One Year War" and the "Lizard War", and when peace seemed at hand, the Earth Sphere was engulfed simultaneously in the "Gryps Conflict" and "Devil Gundam Incident". Compounding matters further was an invasion by aliens known as the "Baam", intent on colonizing the Earth.

Meanwhile, the "Mycenae Empire", "Devil Empire" and "Dinosaur Empire" also began their assault. As the Earth Sphere's fate hung in the balance, the efforts of the Federation, the AEUG, Super Robots, the Nadesico B, and the New Shuffle Alliance proved sufficient to repulse all the attackers. A peace accord was struck with the Baam, while the Neo Zeon Army, which sought to act in the aftermath of the Gryps Conflict, was soon defeated.

However, the embers of war were not extinguished...

With the declaration of war by the lunar Giganos Empire, assaults by mysterious foes known as "Angels", numerous UFO appearances and elusive shadows surrounding the Hisago Plan, mankind was about to step closer to its doom...

Prof. Mitall Zapato is talking to a certain mysterious woman, noting that everything seems to be going according to plan. The Medius is ready for launch, but what of its pilot?
The woman says he’s already on standby at the rendezvous point, and that she and AI1 should be able to handle things until they reach him. Furthermore, she asks for confirmation that the Garmraid/Cerberus’s pilots are, indeed, Hugo Medio and Aqua Centrum. And, yes, they are.

She seems a bid uncertain about this choice and Mitall admits that results haven’t been the best so far. That said, he chalks it up not to lack of skill on their part but of the TE Engine’s low output. Or, perhaps, is the mystery woman feeling a wee bit guilty?
No, she says she merely wants “her child” – AI1 – to have suitable opponents. Mitall does sigh that she kind of IS the thing’s foster mother. Regardless, the woman asks why the TE Engine was installed in that machine – if he’d let AI1 handle it, it’d be getting far better results than those two.

Mitall says it’s a small handicap, as the balance of forces between is already askew. To say nothing of the fact that AI1 wouldn’t really be able to make sense of the DFC System. The woman calls that system absurd, depending on sensorial input for control.
Whether she likes it or not, though, Mitall says Aqua's data is vital to AI1's long term success. She disagrees, saying that all AI1 and the Lazmunanium need to display their full might is a perfected TE Engine. Still, Mitall and those two are needed to make that happen, so she’s little choice.

Either way, it’s time for them to get to work. Mitall then confirms her two targets: the Nadesico B and the Nahel Argama. According to the Committee's script, those two ships are bound to be the focal point of a major deterrent force and keeping them tagged will let them gather a whole lot of useful data. The woman concurs and moves to close in to them.
Mitall starts to tell her that he expects good results from her, but reconsiders and says that it's enough if she's able to prove his theory. He isn’t planning on sticking with “them” until the end.

Elsewhere, we find Aqua accosting Hugo. She wants to know why he didn’t do as she said in the test they just performed – he received the data she sent with the drones' counterattack motions, no?
Hugo points out that all drones were shot down in the end and with eight seconds shaved off the time too. What’s the problem? The problem is that he went and acted all on his own and she wants to know why.
And she won’t take no for an answer – she won’t accept any more tests going the way of this one. Their mission is to produce the results Mitall is seeking, Aqua reminds him. Hugo’s a bit miffed when she brings up the professor.

: But, regardless, I want you to stop ignoring my instructions.
: I’m keeping them in mind, you know.
: Oh, keeping them in mind, are you? But, of course, who am I to say anything to Mr. “Ex-Special Forces”. My instructions are clearly not worth much to someone like you.
: I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just…
: Just… what?
: Were that an actual fight, we would have ended up a crater in the ground. That’s what I thought.
: …!
: …You should just focus on managing the TE Engine’s output. I’ll handle the Garmraid/Cerberus in battle.
: Well, excuse me for not having any actual combat experience! But I’ll have you know that, eventually, I’ll be piloting the Medius and—
: Hrm…?!
: What is it?
: N-nothing… Sorry but can you grab me a glass of water?
: Huh? What am I, your waitress?!
: …Please.
: F-fine… Just water, then?
: Yeah…
: (Gch…! And things were going so well with this…)
: Here – your water.
: Sorry for asking…
: Hm? What’s that?
: It’s just… cold medicine.
: Cold, huh? I guess you’re more delicate than I thought.
: …Is that a problem?
: Not really.
: (There… It’s stopped…)
: Well, just make sure you get better quick. I really don’t need you getting me sick, too.
: Says the one walking around in a swimsuit. How can you not catch a cold?
: This is a DFC Suit! Not a swimsuit! A DFC Suit!
: I know that.
: Bah…! I’m not wearing this because I like it, alright?
: Still, you seem rather OK with it.
: Well, sure, I can just jump into the bath with it and…
: B-but that’s not the point!

*BOOM!*

: What?! An explosion?!
: It came from the hangar!
: You think it’s the Garmraid/Cerberus?
: How?! Both of us are here!
: Then it’s the Medius Locus…?!
: That can’t be either! They haven’t even chosen its pilot yet!
: Well, first things first – we need to find the professor right now!

*ALARM!*

: Urgh! The hangar’s hatch was destroyed?!
: What’s going on, Professor?!
: It’s the Medius…! Someone’s stolen it!
: !
: Oh, no…! Who could do this?!
: We’ve no choice – you two must pursue it. If that unit falls into enemy hands, it’ll be a disaster…!
: R-right…! If the Lazmunanium is misused, we could potentially see a repeat of the Devil Gundam Incident from a year ago…!
: (The Devil Gundam…!)
: Understood, professor! We’ll get the Medius back in our hands!
: Please do. The Garmraid/Cerberus will be ready to launch soon and, if need be, you’ve permission to destroy the Medius.
: Y-yes, sir!
: I’m counting on you.
: (Yes, very much so… Hmhmhmhm.)

This prologue here is the same regardless of which robot your choose.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

We find Professors Umon and Saotome (with the ‘stache) discussing "Operation Overlord", a counteroffensive the Federation is putting together against “them”. Seems like they want Saotome’s support in it.
Umon asks if that means they want the Getter Robo to take part but, no, it doesn’t stop at that. The Federation has also requested the cooperation of the Saotome Labs itself, as well as the Photon Lab, Umon’s own institute, the Science Fortress Lab and Mutropolis. Essentially, they want all Super Robot labs to help.

And the request even came from Kouichirou Misumaru, commander of the Federation’s Space Corps. Umon is familiar with the man who, from what Saotome's heard, is thinking of making a new special squadron with these mechs.
This group, formed around the Nahel Argama and Nadesico B, will be tasked with not only fighting the Giganos forces, and executing Operation Overlord, but also dealing with any other matters that may arise in the future.

Umon understands, remembering how it was those ships' combined efforts that paved the way to settling the Baam War and the Devil Gundam Incident. With the battles against the Dinosaur, Mycenae and Devil Empire also finished, Saotome is planning on sending his team as soon as the new Getter finished. Umon agrees to help in any way possible.
Before the call ends, however, Umon warns about the increasing number of UFO sightings – Saotome would do well to be on guard. The professor thanks for the tip and goes, leaving Umon to ponder the upcoming operation and this new squadron. He understands that they must prepare themselves before the enemy acts properly but…

Just then Kouji shows up, it’s been a full year since Umon’s seen him but the boy did actually make a quick stop by Japan half a year ago. He figured Ryouma, Akira and company needed help with their battles against the Dinosaur and Devil Empires.
His Mazinger Z went straight back to the robot museum after all that was done, though. Not a bid problem, as Umon is quite impressed with Kouji’s well-made TFO – a flying saucer he made while studying in the US. Granted, its shape made folks at the nearby Shirakaba farm freak out, thinking it was an actual UFO.

Indeed, Umon knows that Danbei has been quite excited recently over the many UFO sightings around here. In fact, that's why Kouji's here: to hear more about the UFO sightings near Umon’s lab and the Tokyo Jupiter area.
It seems Kouji's interested in trying to make contact with the UFOs; he'd like to believe that peace can be made with the aliens despite the number of people who hate and fear them. It’s his understanding that the Earth of the future will need to build positive relationships with other planets.

Umon warns that that is not an easy thing to do and Kouji can see why: humanity still finds itself marred in internal strife, so how can they build bridges with other races?
Still, we managed to pull it off with the Baam, so the precedent is there and that’s why he won’t throw in the towel.
Umon is glad to hear that and can only hopes that any aliens we meet in the future will share his ideals.

Just then Daisuke comes in with something to discuss with his father. Umon wants to introduce him to Kouji first – one of the warriors who defeated Dr. Hell and the Mycenae. Daisuke brushes the topic aside, making Kouji a bit miffed at being ignored, but this is more important.
Daisuke asks if Umon’s seen the Moon and the answer is a negative: the thing’s only now started to rise over the horizon and… has the moon changed color? It has, to a blazing red tone!

Daisuke warns that this is a sure sign that "they" are coming to attack, and recommends that Umon warn the Federation. Kouji, understandably confused, wants to know who this "they" are, but Daisuke says that he ought to keep out of this. "They" are far worse than the foes Kouji once fought in the Mazinger Z.
Before Kouji has a chance to get in Daisuke’s face, Umon tells his son to back off.

Furthermore, he thinks Kouji must be tired from the trip and suggests he take some time to rest. He accedes, wondering what the heck the deal is with the professor’s son.
Daisuke, meanwhile, is in his own little world: “It’s finally happening… But I… I don’t want to pilot that thing anymore… I can’t stand the thought of doing so!”

Mission 1 (Super Route) – Visitors From Beyond

The following morning, Daisuke heartily greets Hikaru, having gotten up early in the morning to feed the horses.
Kouji is still around, impressed that he’s already up and working and, no, he doesn’t want to continue yesterday’s debate – Daisuke seems busy enough. In that case, Daisuke figures he could put his free hands to use and help scrub the horses. Kouji might but, first, he wants to ask him something… not that Daisuke is willing to answer.
Hikaru tells them not to spoil this fine morning with their bickering, lest he have to try her on for size.

Kouji’s a bit taken aback but agrees to let this go, observing that Hikaru's so headstrong that even Sayaka would likely back down before her.
“Did you say something?” Hikaru bristles; “N-no, not at all,” Kouji stammers in return.
Fine. Hikaru turns to Daisuke and asks if he’s seen her father and, indeed: he’s been on the roof all morning. Hikaru sighs, figuring he’s searching for UFOs again, even after the scene he caused yesterday when he mistook Kouji’s TFO for one.

The human-like creature known as Danbei, Hikaru’s father, waves at her from above and she chides him for wasting time with that instead of lending a hand to Daisuke.
Danbei takes offense, saying he’s the chairman of the “Friends of E.T.s Club” and it’s his very important mission to keep an eye out for the next alien race to arrive. He figures one’s due to come over eventually, following the Baamians.

Kouji very much likes his idea and feels the same way, earning himself much praise from Danbei. He may be a young but he show a lot of promise, as Danbei would hope from one who built his own UFO!
Kouji corrects him, again, by saying it’s a TFO – then again, he likes having Danbei’s approval. That’s good, but daddy-o warns that that’s not a free pass to get any ideas with his girl and that applies to Daisuke, too.
Hikaru blusters at him and yells to get down and help clean the stables. No can do, as Danbei actually spots something flying nearby.

And there are some legit UFOs! Daisuke actually recognizes these and Kouji remembers seeing them in the laboratory's database.
As Danbei flips out, Kouji figures these are some of the ones who’ve been popping up across Japan. Well, now’s his chance to make first contact so he moves to grab his TFO.
Daisuke yells at him not to go, that this foe is far beyond him. Kouji demands to know what he's talking about - does he actually know what those UFOs are?

Daisuke says that that's not important, and tells Kouji that if he values his life he’ll keep away from them.
Kouji wonders if Daisuke’s one of THOSE types, who think all aliens are monstrous invaders. Doesn’t he know the truth about the Baam war? He does, that Olban and Geroiyer caused it as part of their plans. Had they not assassinated the old Baam leader, the war wouldn’t have happened in the first place, Kouji points out.

Daisuke doesn’t disagree but says these aliens are not the Baamians – Kouji shouldn’t expect them be willing to talk. Kouji protests that he has no way of knowing that without trying but Daisuke yells back that he’s the one who doesn’t understand. Don’t try to contact those things, drat it!
Kouji tells him to piss off with that attitude and, besides, he’s never been one to not do stuff simply because people spoke against it.

And off he goes, leaving Daisuke fuming at his idiocy. When Hikaru asks why he tried to stop him, the man stays quiet.
“Yesterday’s moon really was signaling their arrival… the Vegan Empire,” Daisuke thinks. “Those demons have finally set their sights on Earth… do I have no choice but to pilot IT again? No… I’ve found happiness in this beautiful land, in its greenery… I never want to use that thing again…!”

Meanwhile, Kouji’s already in the air and Danbei begs him to make a good first impression – that’s of utmost importance! Sounds good, so he moves in closer and hails the UFOs, introducing himself and asking for a response.
They have apparently heard him, but make no reply other than moving closer. Daisuke yells at Kouji to run, but not before the aliens start blasting the TFO.

He gets blown far away but barely manages to regain control before crash landing. Still, Kouji’s not happy that these aliens are actually invaders.
Daisuke feels his hand being forced and he is not happy, cursing fate for stuffing him back into the cockpit. When Hikaru asks why he’s looking so angry, he takes a deep breath and tells her to get Danbei and run. And without another word, he heads out elsewhere.

Kouji’s trying to figure out what to do, when Umon gets in touch and tells him to retreat.
He’s not one to turn tail and run, though, but Umon protests that his TFO isn’t a combat unit – he can’t win this. Kouji counters by saying he’s dealt with worse situations and he can do it again.

Over by the command UFO, Bracky isn’t impressed with the Earthling’s flying saucer.
More important is destroying the building that was gathering information about his forces. That will truly signal the start of their invasion of this planet.

Mission Objective: Destroy all enemy units
Mission Failure: Any allied unit destroyed
And here we are. Unlike Alpha 2, again, this game does not have Skill Points, so you’re almost always free to take things at your leisure.
Regardless, this mission is pretty easy as the Vegan UFOs are made of papier mâché and prayer.

Let’s take a look quick look at Kouji and his toy:

TFO (Kouji Kabuto)
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L1 – accuracy, evasion, armor and critical rate get boosted as you lose HP. Effect increases with skill level
  • Sword Cut L1 – can only be used by units with a sword. Fixed chance to negate incoming melee or missile attacks. Also increases with skill level
  • Assisted Attack – more on this when we can use it.
  • Support Defense L1 – when adjacent to a unit being attacked by an enemy, the pilot can jump in front and take the attack instead (reduced damage). The skill level dictates how often you can activate this per enemy turn and the damage mitigation.
Spirit Commands
  • Strike (20) – hit rate becomes 100% for the next turn
  • Guts (30) – fully heals HP
Mech Features
  • Repair module – enables the use of the repair command, allowing this unit to spend its turn to heal some of an adjacent unit’s HP
  • Resupply module – same as repair, only restores EN and Ammo
Kouji’s Voice Actor: Hiroya Ishimaru (other known works: Agrippa in Turn A, Rodimus Prime in Transformers, Launchpad in Ducktales (!) and many others)

Kouji’s the prototypical Super Robot pilot: very bulky, prefers physical attacks and isn’t too accurate or dodgy. His morale growth is good (which’ll help later), his spirit command list suits him perfectly and he naturally has Assisted Attack, which is always nice in this game.
Oh, and that “can’t dodge” bit doesn’t matter because he’s using the big cheat code called TFO. While it was dodgy enough in Z, it is nigh untouchable in this game:
  • SS size (size difference means the smaller unit deals less damage but has an easier time dodging and hitting – the opposite is also true. SS is the smallest size available, so pretty much everything is bigger.)
  • Natural S ranks in both Air and Space (移動 ranks mean how well you can traverse a terrain, 地形 means how well the unit handles in a terrain – better ranks here, the better it dodges and hits)
  • And, to top it off, 120 mobility (運動性 – a big variable in the dodge formula. Get more of this to get better dodge numbers) right off the box.
Not even Real Robots can compete with this thing! Of course, it’s a bit weak but you’ll find it to be an excellent support unit for pretty much all the game.

With all that done, Kouji moves forward but he’s too far away to attack anything.

Enemy Phase!

And the UFOs just move forward, Bracky hanging back.

Player Phase!

: Wait, are those guys going after the lab?!
: (This isn’t good… If only it could be used…!)
: (But for that to be possible, he needs to willingly choose to fight…!)
: …

U-FO!

: DUUUUUKE FLEEEEEEED!!
: Grendizer! GO!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjZ3Gx7QGw

: Wh-what?!
: Hngh?! That’s--!
: Shoot in! Dizer, GO!

: (Daisuke…!)
: Are you alright, Kouji?
: How do you know my name…!? Wait, never mind that! What robot is that? Who are you?!
: There’s no time to explain – we need to destroy these right now!
: I-it’s that hateful Grendizer…!
: Blast you, Duke Freed! You ran off to this planet, huh…?! Rrgh, release the Saucerbeast!

: Those guys got some weapons like the Mechabeasts and Battle Beasts too?!
: Hear me, you fiends! The Grendizer is reborn and it will keep this beautiful green world off your evil claws!
: drat it all… Him being here wasn’t in the plan…! I have to return and report this to Commander Gandal! Deal with him!

: Hey! That guy ran away?!
: Forget him, Kouji! Focus on the problem at hand!
: Y-yeah, you got it!

We’ll look at Duke in a second. First off, Kouji moves in close and aims his sole attack at the only enemy in range.
FYI: this Minifoo has a whopping 5% chance to connect against Kouji, one of the most easily hit pilots in the game.

: I’m not cutting you any more slack if you’re looking for a fight! You better not underestimate Kouji Kabuto and his TFO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpSPfKsP8o8
Sadly, the Vegan mooks don’t have the honor of being voiced by Hiyama in this game.

But, hey, look at that: the Minifoo left a small box after dying. Unlike most SRWs, you don’t automatically get items from downed enemies; instead, it stays on the ground for anyone to pick. That means enemies, too, and if you let them retreat with it, you get jack.
If the mission ends, however, you pick up everything’s that is still on the ground so don’t worry too much unless you think a mook might grab it. The AI doesn’t worry about it, so that’ll only happen if they move into the right position when attacking someone.

Grendizer/Spazer (Duke Fleed)
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L1
  • Sword Cut L1
  • Support Defense L1
  • Leadership – A Support Attack triggers before the enemy has a chance to counterattack, with 100% hit and critical rate.
Spirit Commands:
  • Mercy (5) – if this unit has a high Skill stat than an enemy it would destroy, instead it survives with 10 HP
  • Strike (20)
Duke’s Voice Actor: Kouichi Yamadera (other known works: Gyunei in CCA, Spike in Cowboy Bebop, Tomoru in Orgun and so much more)

He’s like Kouji, only even worse at dodging but slightly better at everything else. There’s no Dizer Power to give him a free damage boost in here but the Grendizer still hits like a truck and the Leadership skill will really help squeeze out an extra bit of free damage. Duke’s naturally good Skill stat makes him extra crit-y, too.
The Spazer can fly and moves one space farther, is a bit weaker but has cheaper moves. The actual robot form is the opposite: stronger, land-bound and with EN-heavier attacks.
You can switch forms either by pressing Triangle over the unit or by selecting the 変形 option in the unit menu.

Case in point, Duke needed that one extra mobility to get in range for the other Minifoo.

: I will not let you do to this beautiful Earth what you did to Planet Fleed!

No problems here.

One more turn waiting around, as the other UFOs trudge their way towards us.

Kouji picks up the item from the ground (I wasn’t sure we’d get it at the end), so Duke sets onward and slaps one of the two remaining Minifoos into oblivion.

Enemy Phase!

The last Minifoo makes the objectively bad call of attacking the TFO and dies. Meanwhile, the Saucerbeast has made it to Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG3x5O6e2iA
Good man.

Player Phase!

And it’s dead!

: Looks like that’s the last of them. Are you alright, Kouji?
: That voice, those eyes… are you—!
: Watch out, you two! Another flying object is approaching!
: More UFOs?!

Uh, oh…

: What the hell is that robot…?!
: (At least it doesn’t seem to be of the Vegan Empire…)
: This is where I was detecting ongoing combat, Major.
: What unit is that? It looks like a Super Robot but…

*Looks at Grendizer*

: There’s no match in our database. That said, I’m detecting an unknown energy signature coming from it.
: Hmph… Is that why we came here rather than keep going to the Saotome Labs?
: Yes. Moreover, I believe that if we can make them get in contact with the Space Science Institute staff, we can consider the first objective to be met.
: How do you figure?
: The institute shares a very deep connection with all the other Super Robot bases. That connection will eventually lead them to the Nahel Argama and Nadesico B.
: Fine… Then how about we take the time to teach the Medius and AI1 the terror of live combat?
: “Terror”?
: Do you not think it can be taught that?
: This child has no need for such things as emotions, is what I think.
: Heh… Whatever you say. Either way, are they in pursuit?
: Yes. They should arrive any time now.

:rock: :rock:

: There you are, Medius Locus!
: You hand that unit back right now!
: Fair warning, we’ve also been given permission to destroy it! So if you’re thinking of using it as a shield, think again!
: (Hmhmhm… Looks like he’s recovered.)
: They’re not answering. What do we do, Hugo?
: …Turn the weapons’ safeties off.
: Without contacting that nearby lab first…?
: Yeah. Remember, our unit’s highly classified.
: Sure but I don’t think that means much after we started flying around in pursuit of the Medius…
: Whatever. Just focus on managing our output.
: The Garmraid won’t be beating the Medius in a race – we need to bring it down here and now.
: I-I know that!
: They’re engaging. Are we ready?
: Yes. Initiating data collection… Fight as you will, Major.
: Drop that title. I’m not a soldier anymore.
: …Very well.
: Adjusting the TE Engine’s output…! Urk, it’s not working! It won’t leave the yellow! And I also need to project the Medius’ motions and—!
: Again, let me handle the fighting – just worry about the output.
: No way! I’ve a job to do and I’ll be doing it right!

MX Version:

: (This is her first actual battle… It’s only natural for her to be nervous…)

MXP Version:

: (This is our second time fighting the Medius but it's her first actual battle... It's only natural that she can't concentrate on the DFC...)

Back to common ground:

: Hmm, their control of the TE Engine’s output does not seem to be going too well.
: Both the unit and its pilots are faulty, I see. (MXP Version: No surprise there. The main pilot's damaged goods and the sub-pilot's a novice.)
: Indeed.
: (Aqua Centrum… Is this, really, all you amount to?)
: Uurgh! What’s going on here?! This never happened in the simulator!
: Just leave it in the yellow – it’s fine! I’m going in, Aqua!
: Huh?! H-hold on a minute!
: Come, then. You’ll all be fodder to the Medius…!

Garmraid (Hugo Medio/Aqua Centrum)
Pilot Skills (Hugo):
  • Fortune – Money earned +20%
  • Support Attack L1 – Same as Defense, only if a unit attacks adjacent to one with this skill, he can call it in for an extra attack in battle
  • Support Defense L1
Pilot Skills (Aqua):
  • Gunfight L1 – Increases damage done by ranged attacks with each level. At levels 4 and 7, increases ranged attacks range by 1
  • Shield Defense L1 – Requires the unit have a shield. Will block an incoming attack and mitigate damage in proportion to the skill level - always triggers but only if you've a non-0 Shield charge (more on this later).
  • Support Defense L1
Spirit Commands (Hugo):
  • Accelerate (5) – Increases movement range by 2 for a turn
  • Strike (15)
Spirit Commands (Aqua):
  • Focus (10) – grants a 30% boost to your chances to hit and evade for a turn
  • Lucky (40) – money earned from the next battle is doubled
  • Alert (10) – guaranteed to dodge the next attack.
Hugo’s Voice Actor: Hiroki Takahashi (other known works: Ryu in Street Fighter, Arthur in SEED Destiny, Jounouchi (Joey in the west) in the Yu-Gi-Oh and many others)
Aqua’s Voice Actress: Yuri Shiratori (other known works: Rena in Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere, Mokona in Rayearth, Yukina in Yu Yu Hakusho and many others)

The Garmraid’s a very standard Super Robot: bulky and with absolute poo poo for range. It’s farthest-reaching attack is range 4, which is even worse than the Gunleon! Still, that’s why Hugo has that dirt cheap accelerate and Aqua’s spirit commands add a nice bit of utility and survivability.
It should be noted that Hugo’s a bit of an odd pilot: his defense stat is pretty low when compared to the likes of Duke or Kouji but his evasion is good. That’d indicate the Cerberus would be a better fit… until you look at his ranged stat and realize it is absolute garbage.
The Garmraid will be getting a lot more bulkier with upgrades but, until then, don’t expect it to shrug hits as well as the Grendizer.

Now, I'm making a small tangent here because MX has these weird melee-ranged attacks (Hugo's Bloody Ray and Fang Knuckle, for instance) and they often confuse people. These are identified by having both the image of a fist and a crosshair next to an attack and what it boils down to is how the game will calculate your damage and your attack's accuracy.

It works like this:

The "melee" half of the attack means it is affected by your stats and skills as a purely based weapon would. Meaning your Melee stat and skills like Infight are the ONLY things that'll up the damage.

What the "range" half of it affects is that it makes your attack count as a ranged attack in the accuracy calculation. A melee attack considers the target's terrain when calculating hit% (that is, if you're grounded and attack an aerial enemy, it'll consider Air in the formula). A ranged attack, however, considers the attacker's own terrain rating in the formula.

So, in essence, if your unit is, say, crap in the air and tries to melee a flying enemy, it'll take a hit in accuracy. However, a melee-ranged attack from the ground will hit a flying enemy with the accuracy as if it were grounded.

Also, if you target an empty space and press X, you can check if it has any special features going on. This tile’s a forest which gives any units sitting within a +20 boost to defense and evasion.
So, with that in mind, we’ll have the Garmraid land.

And just to be extra safe, we’ll have Aqua cast Alert. Pop the unit menu, look for the 精神 option, choose your pilot if need be and cast. You can cast as many spirit commands as you want, so long as you have enough spirit points (SP) to cover the cost.

Now we can move in.

: Th-there! I’ve got the estimates on its movements!
: Just shut up before you bite out your tongue, Aqua!
: Let’s begin. Show me what the Garmraid can do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfqM5oQga0
We put fangs in our rocket punches because why not!

: ! That move…!
: Heh… Not bad at all.
: At the very least they seem to be strong enough to face the Medius.
: Hm. There wouldn’t be any point to this if they weren’t.
: It can’t be…!
: What is it, Hugo?
: …Nothing. Don’t worry about it!

Enemy Phase!

And here comes the Medius again – good. Let’s me show off the Garmraid’s chainsaw knees! :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD3fxgIkCYk
When you bring the Medius below 80%, the plot kicks in.

: Hm? AI1’s reacting against this…?
: Hah…hahahaha!
: What’s so funny?
: I think it just got its first taste of the terror of live combat, no?
: That is not possible.
: Well, it doesn’t matter. The mission is complete – we’re retreating.
: Yes…

: drat it…! What kind of speed is that…?!
: That’s to be expected… The Medius is not equipped with a TE Engine, so its energy output is stable.
: No point in discussing that now. We’re going after it.

*Beep!*

: Huh? Hold on, Hugo! We’ve received new orders!
: I don’t even need to see them – it’s to go after the thing ASAP, right?
: Actually… no, it’s not.
: No? What are you talking about?
: The new orders are to… join with the Japanese Super Robot and rendezvous with the Space Corps' battleship Nahel Argama, all the while continuing our pursuit of the Medius Locus… What is all this…?
: They’re essentially telling us to let the Medius go…!
: …Aqua, get in touch with that lab. If that order’s legit, then they must also be receiving it.
: O-OK...

Back in said lab, Daisuke realizes that he couldn’t fool Kouji and tells him that he is, indeed, the pilot of the Grendizer.
Umon confides that Daisuke isn't his real son. Rather, he's the prince of Planet Fleed, in the Vega Nebula – Duke Fleed. His world was an advanced one of science, and peace until the dreadful King Vega decided to conquer the whole nebula. Innocents were slaughtered, the green land was consumed in flame and, within the burning palace, Duke’s parents and sister perished.
As for the Grendizer, it is the unit his father built, embodying the total scientific knowledge of their world, as a defender of universal peace.

However, the mech’s power caught the eye of King Vega – he wants to use it to fuel his galactic conquest. He couldn’t let it fall into the guy’s hands, so he left Planet Fleed with it and, after a long voyage, found Earth.
It was by mere chance that Umon found Duke, half dead, shortly after he had crash-landed in the mountains of Japan. Umon felt fate’s hand at work in that encounter, like there was a connection between them. Thus began the fated father-son thing, a whole two years ago.

Regardless, Umon wants Kouji to keep this a secret lest further misunderstandings arise if others find out about Daisuke’s origins. He will but, of course, they’ve bigger problems to worry about : King Vega never lets his prey escape and that prey is now Earth. It is certain he’ll be sending his men to attack this beautiful world again.
Indeed, and from what info Umon’s receiving, it appears the Saotome Lab was also attacked by Vegan troops about the same time we were. Unfortunately, details are sketchy so he doesn’t know about the Getter Team – the lab itself is safe, at least, and Kouji’s certain they’re all fine.
Regardless, Daisuke sees this isn’t just our problem and Umon says it is precisely to deal with the various problems like this that the Federation wants to make that new special squadron.

Umon tells them that it will be an independent squad with the Nahel Argama as one of its flagships; and said ship which should be descending in Japan soon.
Kouji has heard of it, the mothership of the Gundam team that played a great part in bringing an end to the Neo Zeon conflict. Only difference is, this time, they’re bringing in more stuff than just Gundams aboard.
Daisuke asks if they’ll need to join the Federation Army if they want to help with that but, no, it was arranged for them to be just civilian supporters. Sounds good to Kouji, if it’ll help us keep Earth from falling to the Vegan Empire – not that they can afford to ignore the Giganos and Tokyo Jupiter, either.

Umon apologizes for leading Kouji back into the battlefield but, really, he doesn’t care as he was already planning on doing so when he came back to Japan. Daisuke himself is quiet, pondering rumors that he heard while traveling in space: the Vegans may not be the only alien group with an interest in conquering Earth.
When Kouji pokes him, Daisuke concedes that he can’t well run from his fate now that she’s chosen to pilot the Grendizer again. And this planet is his second home, so he’ll also tag along. The two of them will be heading to the Saotome Labs and they won’t do so alone.

He calls in Hugo and Aqua, who introduce themselves to the others. Kouji doesn’t even need to introduce himself, as Aqua is well aware of his exploits with the Mazinger from his many appearances in the news.
Hugo says that at the very least, Kouji's quite famous among those who work in developing Super Robot and related technology. As the guy gets bashful, Umon asks if they’re willing to share details of their assignment.

Sure, as Aqua notes that their superiors have given them permission for this. So, Aqua tells him about their Garmraid: a humanoid weapon powered by Terminus Energy, developed by the Federation’s Tsentr Project. It’s popularly referred to as a TE Absorber.
And what about that Terminus Energy? It’s a previously theoretical form of energy discovered by Prof. Mitall Zapato that exist outside the four fundamental interactions in nature (gravitation, electromagnetism, strong nuclear and weak nuclear).

Kouji's heard of this during his studies in the US, but understands it to be very hard to collect or control. It is said this energy is present everywhere, so does that mean the Garmraid can run indefinitely if it’s using it?
No, Aqua says that the TE Engine is still undergoing adjustments and its output is, thus, unstable. So, various auxiliary electric power sources had to be used as well and Aqua has to always be aboard to keep the engine under control.

Kouji wonders if that has something to do with her swimsuit-like uniform and she weakly confirms. It's part of the "Direct Feeling Control" system, which requires her to leave some skin exposed.
Daisuke asks about the black unit they were chasing and Hugo tells of the Medius Locus, another prototype that was being developed in tandem with the Garmraid. It doesn’t have a TE Engine but, in its place, the thing has had its frame and armor built out of Lazmunanium. A new element also discovered by Mitall: succinctly, it is a metal with self-healing properties.

Umon takes a potentially endless energy source and pairs it with a self-healing element and asks if the ultimate goal of the Tsentre Project is to develop weapons that can function and last forever, without any maintenance. Aqua confirms but, again, the Garmraid and Medius are merely prototypes – they’re still far away from a success. And one of said prototypes was now stolen.
Aqua reiterates that the Medius' Lazmunanium can't be allowed to be misused, lest they risk a repeat, albeit in smaller scale, of what happened with the Devil Gundam. Kouji remembers how said Gundam jacked the Neo Japan Colony a year ago.

Umon is worried now and asks if the Lazmunanium has the same properties as DG Cells. Thankfully, no, as it was carefully developed so that it lacked those self-evolving and self-replicating properties. Still, if someone were to modify it…
Which is why they need to get the Medius back ASAP and, with that in mind, Kouji wonders why they're not off in hot pursuit right now. Hugo tells of their orders to accompany them to the Nahel Argama and just to keep an eye out for the missing bot. There’s obviously more going on but they don’t know anything for certain now.

Well, Daisuke and co have no objections to them coming along. First order of business is getting to the Saotome Labs and joining up with the Getter Team. From there, they’ll head to the ship.
With that, Hugo is quick to pull Aqua back to the bot and, with an apology to the others, she says they’ll be ready to depart soon. Daisuke bids farewell to his father, asking him to be careful, and he and Kouji move off.

: Hey, hold on! Why are you in such a hurry for?!
: …Those orders really are just too weird.
: Huh?
: Why do we need to join with the Nahel Argama? If we do that, it’ll only increase our chances of getting pulled into other battles.
: And there is absolutely no guarantee that the Medius will cross our path.
: Hm-hmm.
: And, on top of that, the ease with which our assignment was changed bothers me. It’s pretty clear that there’s stuff going on behind the scenes.
: Yeah. To say nothing of the fact of how easily the Medius was stolen.
: I don’t suppose we’d be wrong to assume that it’s someone within the Tsentr Project behind all this.
: You think it’s Professor Mitall?
: Maybe but, then, I don’t know why only the Medius Locus was stolen. If his plan was to sell it to another organization, he’d have taken the Garmraid as well.
: True… Anyone who wants to reap the fruits of the Tsentr Project would need both the TE Engine and Lazmunanium.
: (Or does the Medius actually have functions we don’t know about?)
: (…The moves the Medius did today… I remember them well.)
: (But it can’t be… He couldn’t be back…)

Over by the Vegan’s HQ, Bracky’s just told Gandal (purple guy) the news about Duke Fleed. Furthermore, the commander isn’t too happy with his underling for turning tail and run at the sight of him.
Bracky argues that it was to bring this piece of information to him as quickly as he could but that doesn’t stop another officer, Balendos, from sneering at what a wimp he is.

Balendos himself has just returned from his mission on earth, where he went to make mincemeat out of some red robot – unlike some other incompetent folks (Bracky seethes). With that in mind, Gandal gives him the job of eliminating the Grendizer.
Bracky protests that it was his job but Balendos tells him to pipe down and help Gandal get the Skull Moon Base set up. Meanwhile, he’ll go and claim Duke Fleed’s head.
Good, Gandal is eager to behold the might of the captain of King Vega’s Royal Guards.

…It’s not the same without Butcher.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 12, 2017

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Already back in the LP saddle? You don't wait around.

Anyway, I've got no idea what's going on, same as always. Which plots are starting, and which ones are already finished? SRW isn't terribly kind to newbies. At least we get to see Grendizer in all its glory!

...and Prince of Darkness. Again. I really wish the other two planned movies had at least gotten a manga or LN release, like Full Metal Panic did, so SRW could actually finish the drat plot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good luck Brunom. :toot:

I played MX before I learned about plot translations. But from what I've picked up all the Gundam shows are post series, as well as Getter Robo, Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

Already back in the LP saddle? You don't wait around.

Anyway, I've got no idea what's going on, same as always. Which plots are starting, and which ones are already finished? SRW isn't terribly kind to newbies. At least we get to see Grendizer in all its glory!

...and Prince of Darkness. Again. I really wish the other two planned movies had at least gotten a manga or LN release, like Full Metal Panic did, so SRW could actually finish the drat plot.

Truth be told, PoD was the only thing pushing me not to LP this next because I really, really don't like it.

In this world, they've already finished:

• Mazinger, Great Mazinger
  • Zeta, ZZ, G Gundam
  • Daimos, Raideen

Everyone else has plot but the ones above get new stories of their own in tandem with them.

The original Getter has played out but we've Getter G in here, so...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

The human-like creature known as Danbei, Hikaru’s father, waves at her from above and she chides him for wasting time with that instead of lending a hand to Daisuke.
Danbei takes offense, saying he’s the chairman of the “Friends of E.T.s Club” and it’s his very important mission to Replace With the next alien race to arrive. He figures one’s due to come over eventually, following the Baamians.

Gasp! He wants to replace the human race with aliens!

Also I can't blame anyone for wanting to remain as far from Prince of Darkness as possible. That was awful, and I hope it never appears anywhere again. Not even SRW can save that. I am interested in this game though, even now I can see some stuff in-battle that I have no idea about, so I'm curious about those systems. It also has G Gundam, which is immediately great without a doubt.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Ah, I see. Kind of sad the Gundam plots have already played out, since ZZ would be kind of interesting to see, but then again...Gundam usually sucks up SRW plotlines like a black hole, so maybe it's for the best.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gasp! He wants to replace the human race with aliens!

Blah, I had seen that but completely forgot to fix it - drat that auto-find/replace.

It's good now.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
So this story has almost no gundam plot whatsoever? That's interesting, I can't imagine that happens all too often.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Logicblade posted:

So this story has almost no gundam plot whatsoever? That's interesting, I can't imagine that happens all too often.

Gundam plot tends to get glossed over a lot actually. Usually one or two series headline and the rest are Sir Appearing In This Series. SRWZ was significant for being the first time in ages that Zeta Gundam had plot that wasn't Yazan Shows Up For A Minute.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Logicblade posted:

You'll find we have a replacement for their usual conflicts. :ssh:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

…It’s not the same without Butcher.

Nothing is the same without Butcher

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, the good part of Nadesico gets sumerized as "The Lizard War happened." What is Kia Asamiya doing these days? I know he was drawing American comic books for a while.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Seventy years after the inception of the Space Calendar, a series of events irreparably shook the fate of mankind.
Creatures from a parallel world, the “MU”, suddenly appeared in the skies above Tokyo and engaged in battle with forces of the Earth Federation. This conflict, expected to become a world-encompassing war, reached an abrupt end when the MU enveloped the center of Tokyo Bay in an unknown sphere, shutting themselves inside.

Right after, a large asteroid struck the South Pole – a catastrophe later dubbed the "Second Impact" – which inflicted immense destruction on mankind and threw the Earth Sphere into chaos.

Mankind then weathered the massive "One Year War" and the "Lizard War", and when peace seemed at hand, the Earth Sphere was engulfed simultaneously in the "Gryps War" and "Devil Gundam Incident". Compounding matters further was an invasion by aliens known as the "Baam", intent on colonizing the Earth.

Meanwhile, the "Mycenae Empire", "Devil Empire", "Dinosaur Empire", also began their assault. As the Earth Sphere's fate hung in the balance, the efforts of the Federation, the AEUG, Super Robots, the Nadesico B, and the Shuffle Alliance proved sufficient to repulse all the attackers. A peace accord was struck with the Baam and the Neo Zeon Army, which sought to act in the aftermath of the Gryps War, was soon defeated.

However, the embers of war were not extinguished...

With the declaration of war by the lunar Giganos Empire, assaults by mysterious foes known as "Angels", numerous UFO appearances and elusive shadows surrounding the Hisago Plan, mankind was about to step closer to its doom...

Words cannot express how much I love SRW intro crawls. :allears:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Words cannot express how much I love SRW intro crawls. :allears:

I know - I was thinking the same thing as I read it!

This is probably the most "holy poo poo" crawl in SRW. In most sequel games, they just gloss over the overall plot of the previous game and it doesn't seem as bad, but since this technically isn't one, they lay it all on the table.

The best thing is that all these calamities pretty much happened in a nonstop stream. One has to wonder how Earth and the colonies are still in one piece, do-gooders or not.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Glad to be in on the ground floor for this one, I tried to play MX Portable a while ago and Just couldn't manage it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, SRW MX. Probably one of the more entertaining stand-alones in the franchise. I'm all-in on this ride.

Also, I don't blame you for passing on the PSP port. Those load times and the HP bloat in the endgame are just not fun at all to deal with.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I really hope that once we get to the Evangelion units all of them have a negative morale growth.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I want Shinji to become Kamina somehow :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The PSP port is the only version I've ever played.

They really doubled enemy HP?

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 1, 2016

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
The PSP version has 3 favourite slots, incrased boss health and that's it.

From what I've played and currently played... G Gundam is THE best unit to use in the game, great boss killer, has brilliant combo attacks and can armor up with Fuunsaki the horse for increased defenses.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

The PSP port is the only version IGiving 've ever played.

They really doubled enemy HP?

They multiplied it by 1.50, so a boss with 25000 HP would have 37500 HP instead.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I played the PSP version of this, although my interested tapered off because I made one little mistake and it cost me a cool secret unit, and by the time I realized it I was already a few missions past it. I think I was in the 40s, but I'd have to dig out and charge up my PSP to check.

One of the things about Cerberus that bugs me is that Hugo is a punchy guy, and Cerberus is a shooty thing. It's still usable, because its guns are powerful enough that you can use it anyway, but it's annoying when "what does the unit do" and "what does the pilot do" don't match up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

heavybassX posted:

The PSP version has 3 favourite slots, incrased boss health and that's it.

From what I've played and currently played... G Gundam is THE best unit to use in the game, great boss killer, has brilliant combo attacks and can armor up with Fuunsaki the horse for increased defenses.

The MX version actually has some other changes including a pretty cool different stage partway through the game but it's not worth playing just for that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I've been waiting so long for this LP. I would have done it myself before much longer.

Godspeed, and here's to many Clocks Managed and Finals Attacked.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
The Real side of things starts off with the ZZ Gundam crew defending themselves against a Giganos ambush led by Melo's Practice Squad... and the same situation with the Medius Locus except you are in the Cerberus AND with Focus, Alert and Strike.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Patience. That's the very next update and we'll be getting there soon.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MX is a cool and good game. It is super easy, so you can just play whatever units and chill or make up ridiculous challenge runs for yourself. The plot is not as epic in scope or as ridiculously convoluted as that of the Z or Alpha series, but it is one of the best titles in the series as far as writing is concerned.

Just play the PS2 version and not the PSP Port.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016

Brunom1 posted:

Patience. That's the very next update and we'll be getting there soon.

Sorry I thought you wouldn't be covering the Real side so I badly assumed

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Oh boy I'm so excited!! :dance: Is Prince of Darkness really infamous or something, though?

Also, did the video with Hugo's Fang Knuckle become a rainbow-purple blur twice for anyone else? :psyduck:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Booky posted:

Oh boy I'm so excited!! :dance: Is Prince of Darkness really infamous or something, though?

Take a comedy TV series. Strip all the humor out of it and make the likable lead an edgelord.

There you have Prince of Darkness.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Booky posted:

To give a longer explanation, Prince of Darkness was the movie follow-up to Martian Successor Nadesico and was intended to kick off a trilogy of movies. Sadly, the movie failed for a couple of reasons (spoiled just in case). First, the tone of the film is a more darker and less meta-comedy approach compared to the TV show. Secondly, it heavily relied on the viewer having played a PS1 game called Blank of Three Years (if I remember the title correctly) to explain what the hell is going on in the first place. Which not a lot of people did, plus Blank of Three Years never got an international release, leaving even more people out of the loop. Finally, as we'll see in the LP (or if you jump over to Brunom's SRW W LP), the main character is not Akito, but Ruri as a result of her popularity. Unfortunately, she really cannot carry the film on her own and the supporting cast members do little to compensate for this. Couple this with Akito's major shift into a brooding and emo personality, and Prince of Darkness falls apart at the seams. The only saving graces it has are some good animation and a good soundtrack, but overall it is a massive disappointment compared to the TV show.

E: fixed for spoilers.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 29, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

To give a longer explanation, Prince of Darkness was the movie follow-up to Martian Successor Nadesico and was intended to kick off a trilogy of movies. Sadly, the movie failed for a couple of reasons. First, the tone of the film is a more darker and less meta-comedy approach compared to the TV show. Secondly, it heavily relied on the viewer having played a PS1 game called Blank of Three Years (if I remember the title correctly) to explain what the hell is going on in the first place. Which not a lot of people did, plus Blank of Three Years never got an international release, leaving even more people out of the loop. Finally, as we'll see in the LP (or if you jump over to Brunom's SRW W LP), the main character is not Akito, but Ruri as a result of her popularity. Unfortunately, she really cannot carry the film on her own and the supporting cast members do little to compensate for this. Couple this with Akito's major shift into a brooding and emo personality, and Prince of Darkness falls apart at the seams. The only saving graces it has are some good animation and a good soundtrack, but overall it is a massive disappointment compared to the TV show.

You may want to tag those spoilers.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Nadesco ended perfectly well: everyone had their story told, the war and relationships were all (mostly) resolved, the moral (life is Gundam, not Voltron) was played out...the only way a sequel could have worked would be to subvert the moral with a new cast of characters, but the "world" in Nadesco isn't so interesting that it justifies new stories. Prince of Darkness was a movie nobody wanted, with no reason to exist, in a setting that wasn't interesting. And someone wanted THREE of this.

An illustration: in Terminator 1, the story *could* have ended with just that movie, since the audience can extrapolate that humanity must be winning the war if Skynet needs to go back in time to win, but there were still holes in the setting. We never meet John Conner, for example, or learn why he's important, or actually resolve the war, and that's what Terminator 2 is about: resolving the loose ends, with the added moral that technology doesn't *have* to be evil, as we see with the robot bonding with John over the movie, which eventually drives it to exceed its machine limits through the power of love, allowing an older model to beat the newer one. And then Terminator 3 came out, despite having no reason to exist, which also retroactively made the conclusion and moral of the second movie moot.

So I guess what I'm saying is that Prince of Darkness is basically Terminator 3 :v:.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

AradoBalanga posted:

E: fixed for spoilers.

There was a Saturn game and a Dreamcast game, not PS1.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
You know...I am kind of sad Gundam Wing is not in this game, or this might have been the best thing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ardeem posted:

There was a Saturn game and a Dreamcast game, not PS1.
poo poo, I always forget which platform that game came out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ashram posted:

You know...I am kind of sad Gundam Wing is not in this game, or this might have been the best thing.

Domon often has great interactions with other folks.

Like in A.C.E. 2, where he accosts Layzner's Ru Kain with his usual: "Do you know this man?!"

Of course, Ru Kain gives him sass ("And if I do? What will you do about it?") and offers to tell only if Domon can beat his troops.

• Locked thread