Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That is only for new subscribers, right? Can they force me out of my current unlimited non-bingeOn tether at LTE speed plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hiddenriverninja posted:

That is only for new subscribers, right? Can they force me out of my current unlimited non-bingeOn tether at LTE speed plan?

Correct, only for new subscribers. You can change plans if you want to.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So if you're on that plan, you have to use BingeOn?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PRADA SLUT posted:

So if you're on that plan, you have to use BingeOn?

You can pay $25/month to turn it off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Holy poo poo these new plans are garbage. Project Fi just got way more appealing.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Sonofabitch.

I was planning to switch our 3 lines to tmobile after buying an iphone 7 off contract next month because the simple choice plans for 6/2/2 gb set up resulted in a $40 a month savings. Looks like those will all be gone on the day the 7 is announced.

I guess the best option would be to just switch over within the next two weeks to get on a simple choice plan and then keep it, right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is the absolutely worst deal ever. I couldn't recommend T-Mobile to anybody now at those prices.

So right now I am pretty much stuck on this $80/mo plan for 2 lines with 6GB of data, a 20GB data stash, and Binge On/Music Unleashed forever. Not bad, but I hate that my bill would go up $40 if I ever wanted to change something. Want to add a 3rd line? It would go up $70! I am better off getting a 3rd line as an individual plan to grandfather me into my old plan still

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 18, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I think the deal is fine for most people who aren't goony goon goons about their usage and don't really have a need to tether or watch 1440p streaming animeyoutube on the go.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The plan is only not absolute trash if you have 4 people on it.

For one person is like 150-200/mth if you get the bells and whistles you'd actually want.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I am on the 2 line $100 unlimited everything deal which is pretty nice but I am thinking of switching to Fi as neither line typically uses that much data (Usually between 1 and 3 gigs for one line and under 1 gig for the second line).

Its nice to have the unlimited everything as a safety blanket, but I don't think I can justify it when we don't really use that much data.

I was waiting to see if T-Mobile had a new plan coming out that I could save a couple bucks with but this new One plan seems pretty bad. I might be switching to Fi soon.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MycroftXXX posted:

Its nice to have the unlimited everything as a safety blanket, but I don't think I can justify it when we don't really use that much data.

With Binge On, I have never gone over my 6GB plan limit, and now I have maxed out my data stash at 20GB.

I don't need unlimited data, and I would never switch to that plan with those prices. If they force me to at some point, I am switching carriers. I'd rather have less data and a better network.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nitrousoxide posted:

The plan is only not absolute trash if you have 4 people on it.

For one person is like 150-200/mth if you get the bells and whistles you'd actually want.

Hahaha, what? That's hyperbolic as hell.

$40/mo plan
$5 non-automatic payments
$25 BingeOn off

Where's this $80-130 monthly charge coming from? Even if you're leasing a device it's no more than $37.95 at absolute most.

That said, this is a blatant cash grab. Single-line consumers especially have been kind of screwed over.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hahaha, what? That's hyperbolic as hell.

$40/mo plan
$5 non-automatic payments
$25 BingeOn off

Where's this $80-130 monthly charge coming from? Even if you're leasing a device it's no more than $37.95 at absolute most.

Wrong, it's $70/month for one line.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

nimper posted:

Wrong, it's $70/month for one line.

Oh, you're right. That still comes to $100/mo with all the bells and whistles.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah I can't change off my grandfathered unlimited now and am wondering if I want to keep my jump on demand going or change carriers.

Edit: never mind other major carriers are as expensive or more for what I have/need

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 18, 2016

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Are they introducing some new detection methods, or adding on layers of weird crap to their network structure? I've tethered routinely to tablets and let others piggyback my data connection on their phones. Even tethered to (conservatively managed) Windows machines. Never had an issue with any of those, and I'm on the classic $30 5GB dork plan.

e: For reference, this is dating back from their 3.5g/HSPA era, all the way to current LTE hotness. Aside from a brief Android OS-level snitching period, it's been a great ride with T-Mobile and I hope it doesn't stop anytime soon.

e2: if it does stop, there are two good $35/mo smartphone options out there:
1) Cricket, for AT&T coverage
2) Total, for Verizon coverage

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I agree that downsizing all video to not HD is def anti-net neutrality, but the question is will customers care or notice? Personally I don't think they'll realize it at all on smartphones. Maybe for a tablet.m

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Duckman2008 posted:

I agree that downsizing all video to not HD is def anti-net neutrality, but the question is will customers care or notice? Personally I don't think they'll realize it at all on smartphones. Maybe for a tablet.m

Yes you can tell the difference between 1080p and 480p on any 5" smartphone with appropriate resolution. Is this a troll?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Besides crying about your youtube resolution (lol if youre literally watching movies on your phone), what is bad about the plan?

or is this like the only plan you can buy?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Yes you can tell the difference between 1080p and 480p on any 5" smartphone with appropriate resolution. Is this a troll?

No, i rarely watch movies on my phone, and don't bother to reduce the size down.

FogHelmut posted:

Besides crying about your youtube resolution (lol if youre literally watching movies on your phone), what is bad about the plan?

or is this like the only plan you can buy?

unless they change their minds this will be the only postpaid Mobile plan. Presumably their prepaid plans are staying the same.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

unless they change their minds this will be the only postpaid Mobile plan. Presumably their prepaid plans are staying the same.

They're killing the Walmart nerd plan? Because telling me I'm going to start paying $70 instead of $30 is a good way to also tell me that I'm getting Google Fi at the same time.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

monster on a stick posted:

They're killing the Walmart nerd plan? Because telling me I'm going to start paying $70 instead of $30 is a good way to also tell me that I'm getting Google Fi at the same time.

Nobody said anything about killing the nerd plan!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Have you been to the house of any Dad in the country? Every single one has an expensive 4K TV hooked up to the cable box over 480i composite cables and brags about how great the picture is. The average technology customer in the US is like that, not like you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

creationist believer posted:

Have you been to the house of any Dad in the country? Every single one has an expensive 4K TV hooked up to the cable box over 480i composite cables and brags about how great the picture is. The average technology customer in the US is like that, not like you.

Watching the SD channels because "its always been channel 6." And that poo poo is stretched because "I paid for the whole screen."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Your break even on Fi is 5GB of data though. That's barely anything if you actually stream video...

I couldn't justify streaming 1GB of data on my phone knowing it just cost me $10.00

I can tell the difference, but that difference is not worth paying an extra $25/mo

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And now we switch to a 6GB plan, make sure BingeOn is turned off, and ignore this new bullshit.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Most people can probably tell the difference in quality but most people wont care because its on their phone and they probably dont watch that many videos on their phone off wifi

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LionYeti posted:

Yeah I can't change off my grandfathered unlimited now and am wondering if I want to keep my jump on demand going or change carriers.
And they may even be moving away from JOD. From what I've seen on reddit, it's become hard to get if you're not already on it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MycroftXXX posted:

Most people can probably tell the difference in quality but most people wont care because its on their phone and they probably dont watch that many videos on their phone off wifi

A blatant violation of net neutrality like this is pretty indefensible no matter how you want to spin it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

triple sulk posted:

A blatant violation of net neutrality like this is pretty indefensible no matter how you want to spin it.

Problem is that "net neutrality" is one of those things that very few people actually care about. All most people see is "unlimited data!" and "$40 a month" and on its face that's certainly a great deal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So if everybody has unlimited data, how the hell do they handle those streams that can't be throttled to 480p? I thought there were issues where YouTube was sent in some weird way where they can't tell the difference.

Just makes me wonder if someone will be able to use some app to stream 1080p video without buying the $25 upgrade

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I assume they throttle you after you use a certain amount of data a month anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They don't make you switch plans to add a line. Please don't complain about free netflix for my screaming kids or I will hire you to baby sit them.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'll be on the 10GB/line plan until they pry it from my cold dead hands. As much as John L wants to spin it, this is NOT good for most customers and is very carrier like. Blah.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This only affects post paid for now ( not the nerd plan which is prepaid) but from what I saw they plan on doing this to prepaid as well in the coming months.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

triple sulk posted:

Everyone who cares about this needs to file a complaint with the FCC.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=38824

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Astro7x posted:

So if everybody has unlimited data, how the hell do they handle those streams that can't be throttled to 480p? I thought there were issues where YouTube was sent in some weird way where they can't tell the difference.
No they can tell the difference, my always stuttering 720p 60fps videos when I forget to turn it off show that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
As of this announcement, T-Mobile is officially:

Playing chicken with the FCC
Trashing their reputation with vocal nerds
The most expensive carrier base plan for up to 4 lines, not even counting hotspot charges, out of the top 4 carriers.

Not that we needed more evidence after that bizarro rant about the EFF, but at this point there's no escaping that John Legere is a genuinely stupid person.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I don't know what they're going to do when netflix goes all tls and they can't throttle the content, unless they're doing some sneaky DPI or MIIM, which itself runs afoul of many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I dislike this because of the extra charge for nonautopay.

I'm a contractor. My work is intermittent. Some months, I make a lot of money. Others, I make no money at all. Consequently, during the flush months I massively pay ahead the bills I can pay, so that they're taken care of. It's not uncommon for me to just throw $500 at T-Mobile at the end of a contract, and then I don't have to worry about the phone bill for a while, while I'm in school/looking for work.

(And yes, I do budget, so I could set up an autopay, but that's more wrangling on my end to maneuver around a billing system that's worked for me for a decade now.)